AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-08-27, 05:35   Link #301
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Damn the monk is so cool. Omnibash lol.

P.S I am getting turned off by the lack of female characters. I wish there is free choice of gender so I can substitute the Monk for a Miko.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 06:00   Link #302
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

P.S I am getting turned off by the lack of female characters. I wish there is free choice of gender so I can substitute the Monk for a Miko.
Eeeerh it's been stated at the beginning when D3 was announced that all the classes have male and female versions which can be chosen when you create the character, hence you can have a female Barbarian (aka macho woman ) or a male Sorcerer

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 06:20   Link #303
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

... Now I'm wondering what a creepy looking female witch doctor will look like.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 10:10   Link #304
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
No, its called 'Hyakuretsu Ken'.

All so called 'monks' in gaming are always homages of Fist of the North Star.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 10:18   Link #305
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Even those in Guild Wars?
Old 2009-08-27, 10:22   Link #306
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
She was in the original 20-minute Gameplay trailer.

Not much of a change there, really. XD

Oh and monk rules! Seven Sided Strike (monk's "shadows" attacking monsters from all angles for those who don't know) is so far the best looking skill I've seen in the game. Along with barb's Seismic Slam.

Damn, those new videos made me play Diablo 2. Again.
Old 2009-08-27, 10:26   Link #307
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Even those in Guild Wars?
Don't know, I never played that lol

As long as a monk is martial arts based and has these skills:

Rapid punch attack
Single punch KO/kill
Flying/teleporting kick

They would be references to Fist of the North Star. Its true for Japanese games, maybe not all Western games though.

Old 2009-08-27, 10:38   Link #308
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Eeeerh it's been stated at the beginning when D3 was announced that all the classes have male and female versions which can be chosen when you create the character, hence you can have a female Barbarian (aka macho woman ) or a male Sorcerer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Take pride in Blizzard's designs. The female witch doctor would probably be something like Storm from X-Men, and if we are lucky, the female barbarian would be like Sakagami Tomoyo from Clannad.

Male sorcerers are okay. Ever played the recent Trine? Probably something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
No, its called 'Hyakuretsu Ken'.

All so called 'monks' in gaming are always homages of Fist of the North Star.
Really? English games are borrowing alot from Japanese culture, but I don't watch Fist Of North Star, character sketches are rather disgusting to me (either that or I am subconsciously jealous of the incredible muscles they have and I don't).

Judging from the Monk's playstyle, it would be pretty much a DD-PvP type, with anti-range and probably anti-magic capabilities. Going squarely up against a barbarian or Paladin would be disastrous without good equipment, but sooner or later it is going to get nerfed because such a character is overpowered in a hardcore gamer's hands, like the Assassin in D2.

P.S I was a Paladin in D2 until the expansion came. I switched to Assassin to fit my playing style, and I used the bow. Yah I am an odd-style player, fits my personality IRL anyway.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-08-27, 10:51   Link #309
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Really? English games are borrowing alot from Japanese culture, but I don't watch Fist Of North Star, character sketches are rather disgusting to me (either that or I am subconsciously jealous of the incredible muscles they have and I don't).
Yes. Everytime you see 2 fighters kick each other and freeze in midair, its also a Fist of the North Star reference.

Too bad for young audience, other than Jojo and Berserk, FotNS had the manliest art ever.

Old 2009-08-27, 10:53   Link #310
4Tran

Quote:
No, not really. The monk class has existed in gaming as far back as the monk in AD&D, which came out in 1977, pre-dating Fist of the North Star. Instead, just about all warrior monks in the West (and probably in Asia as well) are based on the Shaolin monks or their fictional depictions like the Kung Fu television show. It's not too unlikely that Fist of the North Star is also based on these depictions.
Old 2009-08-27, 11:05   Link #311
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
No, not really. The monk class has existed in gaming as far back as the monk in AD&D, which came out in 1977, pre-dating Fist of the North Star. Instead, just about all warrior monks in the West (and probably in Asia as well) are based on the Shaolin monks or their fictional depictions like the Kung Fu television show. It's not too unlikely that Fist of the North Star is also based on these depictions.
That was 11 years before my time, but I touched the tomes of D&D back when I was much younger and my uncle brought his friends over to play.

If any of you here read wuxia (Chinese Martial Arts novels), some video games draw ideas from there, like Heavenly Sword for PS3. Nevertheless the Monk from D3 is probably from that, I won't be surprised if it executes a Buddha's Palm (AOE conical fist attack), Dog Subduing Staff or a Dragon Slaying 18-Palms in late game.

Old 2009-08-27, 11:10   Link #312
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

FotNS was based on chinese manhua and movies, Kenshiro himself was based on Bruce Lee.

Western 'monks' are indeed inspired by the Shaolin Monks, but for today's pop culture, FotNS still has more influence. Especially for Japanese games, 'Hyakuretsu' is blantantly used in every rapid punch or kick name, from Chun Li's Hyakuretsu Kyaku, FF Tactics, SRW, etc. all the way down to the attack of a jellyfish monster's attack in Eternal Sonata.

Like Kill Bill's Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique, came straight from FotNS.

Old 2009-08-27, 12:56   Link #313
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Take pride in Blizzard's designs. The female witch doctor would probably be something like Storm from X-Men, and if we are lucky, the female barbarian would be like Sakagami Tomoyo from Clannad.
DEMAND MOD NOW

Although in terms of fighting style, Tomoyo is more like the monk

I wish that was true though... the official Blizzard artwork for the female Barbarian on their main site doesn't look too encouraging on that front though, unless that's only tentative. Here's an image lifted off the Barbarian section:

Also, having a female Barbarian be a large, butch-like warrior is more consistent with the overall lore and artstyle rather than a petite and sexy model For those wanting the latter, there's always the Wizard... or mods

Hmmm just noticed that the character models on the Character Class page now have new armor and gear, like the Barbarian's helm and the Wizard's tiara. Also, katars are shown in the Monk's character section

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 15:02   Link #314
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Oohh well thats pretty interesting, its a change from the Paladin but not sure if I like such a change but still interesting enough.

I always liked my Pally kitted out in full plate armour.

1 more class left, right?
Old 2009-08-27, 15:16   Link #315
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I just can't seem to get tired of watching the Disintegrate spell. Orange beams of death that cause monsters to explode into massive splashes of blood and little pieces of body parts... that is awesome.

The Monk class can fucking punch a monster's blood out of his body.

This is so much more metal than purple elves fighting internet dragons.

Blizzard is redeeming themselves.
Old 2009-08-27, 15:56   Link #316
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post

1 more class left, right?
I still want the Amazon to return in some shape or form. Even if it gets changed to an Archer class or something along those lines.
Old 2009-08-27, 17:12   Link #317
Xacual

I'm betting on the last class being a ranged weapon class of some type.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 01:58   Link #318
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I'm betting on the last class being a ranged weapon class of some type.
Must be. We already have two melee, two mages...there simply must be a ranged class.
Old 2009-08-28, 04:49   Link #319
Velsy

It seems the classes so far dont suit the way I like to play.

My most favourit class in Diablo 2 was the spear weilding Amazon, followed by the Paladin and lightning focused Sorceress (loved the Telekinese spell until they ruined its purpose) (no I wasnt a cold attack user )

Then the Necromancer I would just play for fun to raise an undead army of doom !! But it wouldnt go to well when I came across boss's. It was like "go my little fellers !! kill kill kill. Bham! zap crackle pop .....ummmm where did my skeles go O_o

I interested in looking into Diablo 3, but the classes are not to my liking I guess. And when it comes to melee, I never like playing a barbarian.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 07:11   Link #320
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Then the Necromancer I would just play for fun to raise an undead army of doom !! But it wouldnt go to well when I came across boss's. It was like "go my little fellers !! kill kill kill. Bham! zap crackle pop .....ummmm where did my skeles go O_o

I interested in looking into Diablo 3, but the classes are not to my liking I guess. And when it comes to melee, I never like playing a barbarian.
you werent a very good necro were you? if you don't put most of your points into summons they will never stand a chance agenst bosses.

and Poison Nova necro > all

I only hope D3 has a paladin like class. and i hope witchdocter is somewhat of a diffrent necro. I want a undead army damn it.

Tags
arpg, blizzard, dungeon crawler