AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-02-16, 21:26   Link #281
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
Also, it's funny how the three most popular shonen titles can be used regularly.
"I always put a naruto in my ramen."
"I clean my clothes with bleach."
"Look at that hot girl with that one piece!"
This is the most amazing thing I've read in 24 hours.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 21:38   Link #282
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

What's a naruto and how does it pertain to ramen?
Old 2013-02-16, 21:40   Link #283
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Naruto is a fishcake often placed as a garnish on ramen. It's shaped like a circle with spiked edges and has a pink swirl on the middle.

Also see Wikipedia article on the Naruto whirlpools of Japan.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 22:46   Link #284
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
What's a naruto and how does it pertain to ramen?
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
You put it in your ramen.

It is also called narutomaki if you would like to Google it more easily.
Old 2013-02-18, 16:37   Link #285
Soverence

Pumpkin Scissors has to have the worst reason for the title I have ever heard, for anyone who has watched the anime should know its just silly beyond all belief. "We are called pumpkin scissors because like on Halloween when you use scissors to carve up pumpkins, we carve out all the bad innards of society with our scissors." Who uses scissors to carve pumpkins?
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 22:07   Link #286
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Answered already in the previous pages. It's supposed to be a call sign for a particular army squadron.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2013-02-19, 04:31   Link #287
Shyni

Yes, but why did the squadron choose that name? Wasn't there an in-story reason?
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 04:35   Link #288
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Wikipedia says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia article on Pumpkin Scissors
The name for the group was an idea from one of its officers, the 2nd Lieutenant Alice L. Malvin. According to her, in their war relief effort, they must "face the threat of corrupt people who protect themselves behind lies, power, and money like the rind of a pumpkin", and Section III must act like a pair of scissors cutting through those layers and delivering justice for the people. This is a constant message which ripples throughout the series. The unit is, however, berated constantly, considered a propaganda tool used by the government, and is seen as an insult to the war relief effort by many within the army, as well as the Empire's citizens. Randel Oland, a veteran soldier with a mysterious past, joins their ranks and steadily the Pumpkin Scissors unit begins to be taken more seriously as the anime's plot begins to unravel.

Old 2013-02-19, 05:35   Link #289
Shyni

But, people don't use scissors for pumpkins...
Old 2013-02-19, 05:58   Link #290
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
But, people don't use scissors for pumpkins...
Yeah, sometimes, some people just can’t admit that some titles are silly.
Old 2013-02-19, 11:02   Link #291
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yeah, sometimes, some people just can’t admit that some titles are silly.
The lesson here is that even if a show has a reason for its title, that does not make the title any good. Conversely, if a show can't justify its title in any way, that almost automatically makes it a bad title.
Old 2013-02-19, 11:14   Link #292
Kirarakim

I tend to love titles that have double meanings

Psycho Pass This is the name of an aspect of the system featured in the series, it is also a play on the words psychopath and as we learn it fits the series really well.

Natsume's Book for Friends Although I prefer to say it in Japanese

The meaning is what is important, again the title is literal (the name of an object the main character possesses) but also figurative (as the series can be said to be a story of the main character making friends)

Angel Beats Short and to the point and only at the end do you understand what the title means
Old 2013-02-20, 15:27   Link #293
Kudryavka

"Mangirl" is one of the most unfortunate titles I've come across ever. imo should have stayed in the Japanese pronunciation of Mangaaru (manga + gaaru (gal/girl)). Putting it in English just makes doves cry. T-T

Or done it like Mangal. Why author, whyyy???
Old 2013-02-20, 20:51   Link #294
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Break Blade. That manga title was supposed to be a noun since it’s the nickname of an ancient mecha. The mistake is so glaring that the anime adaptation had to correct it by changing the title into Broken Blade. Thank god.
Old 2013-02-21, 05:06   Link #295
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Psycho Pass is one of the smartest anime titles I've ever seen.
Old 2013-02-23, 08:56   Link #296
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Back when Mai Hime came out, marketing people were adding 'my' to everything: myTv, myCar, myDog, myShit and so on.
That fad was soon to be replaced by adding equally random 'i's in front of things.

So I initially thought the title was a play on this.
Maybe it actually was meant to be read with such a double meaning... dunno. It still makes sense, unlike most of the actual myStuff's of the time.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 09:13   Link #297
Shyni

Mai-HiME works better to me, since it's also a pun on "dancing princess".
Old 2013-02-23, 12:01   Link #298
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

another title I found mysterious was Bakuman
the manga's already finished and the anime's getting near its end too. But it never explained why that was the title of the series

not having an explanation doesn't mean it's bad though, but it doesn't mean it's good either.
I just want closure of some sort

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 17:35   Link #299
Temenos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
Steins;Gate- Even the main character had said multiple times that the phrase means absolutely nothing.
Stein was a mathematician that worked on statistics and probabilities. So the title elegantly fits with the nature of the anime, with a twist of imagination.

Personally for some reason the term steins;gate brings up mysterious WWII experiments to my mind. Not sure how I made this connection.
Temenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 10:51   Link #300
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
another title I found mysterious was Bakuman
the manga's already finished and the anime's getting near its end too. But it never explained why that was the title of the series

not having an explanation doesn't mean it's bad though, but it doesn't mean it's good either.
I just want closure of some sort
Baku, according to Obata-sensei, comes from "Bakuchi"which means gambling while Man comes from manga. So it's like a pun on gambling with manga which the series constantly revolved around with.