AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-12, 11:27   Link #161
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
It is a definite that the R1 DVD for North America will have subs at least and most likely will have some dubbing. The R2 may have subs since the 2009 ones did, but they are more expensive, so you might have to wait. Likely fansubs will come out when the R2 comes out, so you can wait.
Thanks! On a side note, it surprises me that fansubs sometimes are more accurate than 'official' subs. Whatwith all the cash they have been pumping into the movie, you'll think they'll at least include correct subs (if there are even any).

Back on topic, I'm now totally hyped up for the movie. All the images, trailers, OST news is getting me pumped. Too bad we have to wait

However, there's a scene in the trailer that's getting me perplexed. It's the one where Yuki and Kyon are sitting opposite each other and are wrapped up in their winter clothing with shawls. At the background there's a 'NO something' sign and a word that is cut off, with only the letters 'mily'. I could only think of the word family in this case, but I just can't recognize this scene from the novel. Help please?
Old 2010-01-12, 11:44   Link #162
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
Thanks! On a side note, it surprises me that fansubs sometimes are more accurate than 'official' subs. Whatwith all the cash they have been pumping into the movie, you'll think they'll at least include correct subs (if there are even any).

Back on topic, I'm now totally hyped up for the movie. All the images, trailers, OST news is getting me pumped. Too bad we have to wait

However, there's a scene in the trailer that's getting me perplexed. It's the one where Yuki and Kyon are sitting opposite each other and are wrapped up in their winter clothing with shawls. At the background there's a 'NO something' sign and a word that is cut off, with only the letters 'mily'. I could only think of the word family in this case, but I just can't recognize this scene from the novel. Help please?
The definition of "accurate" depends on the translation. There are differing stances on a translation. You can translate the sentences literally and have one meaning whereas simply grasping the gist of the meaning and re-writing the sentence is also acceptable. One great example of this is in the subtitles for the R2 DVDs compared to afk. Alas I cannot create screen captures currently, but the line Kyon narrates about Mikuru in Endless Eight II at the yukata store is my example. In the fansub, Stratos translates the line as "She's three times cuter when she blushes." In the R2, it is "She's cuter when she blushes." Both are completely accurate for what Kyon means, but one takes a more literal stance at the language.

The scene is likely in front of a mock-store based off of the "Family Mart" chain in Japan (who conveniently is selling advance tickets for the movie). There is not a scene where only Kyon and Yuki talk outside, so it may be an additional scene that may include some of the dialogue from Kyon's trip to Yuki's apartment. That is only my assumption of what it may be, so take that with a grain of salt.
Old 2010-01-12, 11:49   Link #163
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Its another case of the two competing schools of thought when it comes to translation. Do you give the literal meaning, or the implied meaning? With the literal side, there may be cultural nuances that the audience might not pick up on. With implied meanings there's the problem of the translator misinterpreting (as is often the case with religious texts. Of which Haruhi is one, at least to Haruiists )
Old 2010-01-15, 10:03   Link #164
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

There's a new Disappearance sequence up on Youtube, the one where Kyon and Yuki are just chilling in the clubroom. Yuki blushing made me go 'Awwww....'

Although I have no way of confirming this is a fake or not, it seems reasonably real (unless, of course, it's a troll).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRfuk...eature=related
Old 2010-01-15, 10:05   Link #165
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
There's a new Disappearance sequence up on Youtube, the one where Kyon and Yuki are just chilling in the clubroom. Yuki blushing made me go 'Awwww....'

Although I have no way of confirming this is a fake or not, it seems reasonably real (unless, of course, it's a troll).

Looks fanmade to me. Pretty sure those scenes appeared in the first season, but still nice anyway.
Old 2010-01-15, 10:16   Link #166
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
Looks fanmade to me. Pretty sure those scenes appeared in the first season, but still nice anyway.
I went back to the official trailer and compared the art between the two, and realized there's no way that could be real. Well, I feel dumb for putting that up now

There's a lot of fake Disappearance videos up. One of them even claimed to contained content from Kadokawa, which... pretty much is fake once I looked it up.
Old 2010-01-15, 19:24   Link #167
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:

Windows Movie Maker strikes again. IIRC, Kyon taking Yuki to the library never happened in the Yukiverse, even in the past of the Disappearance timeline.
Old 2010-01-15, 19:35   Link #168
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Windows Movie Maker strikes again. IIRC, Kyon taking Yuki to the library never happened in the Yukiverse, even in the past of the Disappearance timeline.
Kyon never takes Yuki to the library, but he does meet her in it and makes a library card for her. Looking at the video, it was uploaded in 2007, much too early for it to be valid. If the date isn't 12/18/09 or later, I wouldn't count it as credible since that was the first glimpse of footage from the film.
Old 2010-01-16, 00:23   Link #169
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Ah, I guess in my excitement I overlooked the details. Darn you, internet trolls!

By the way, Ryoko looks really, really creepy in her red attire. I mean, who the heck wears a full red outfit to school?! The art makes her hair looks dark, so when we see her from behind, all we get is... a sea of dark hair across red canvas.

As if the shock of seeing her alive wasn't enough, seeing her dressed in a way that screams 'MURDERER' probably would have caused Kyon to be paralyzed with fear
Old 2010-01-16, 01:05   Link #170
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Ah, I guess in my excitement I overlooked the details. Darn you, internet trolls!

By the way, Ryoko looks really, really creepy in her red attire. I mean, who the heck wears a full red outfit to school?! The art makes her hair looks dark, so when we see her from behind, all we get is... a sea of dark hair across red canvas.

As if the shock of seeing her alive wasn't enough, seeing her dressed in a way that screams 'MURDERER' probably would have caused Kyon to be paralyzed with fear
Creepy women in red attire?

Check out this awesome film called "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance"
Old 2010-01-16, 12:02   Link #171
s07195
However,

Remind me, why does Kyon wear some kind of thick fleece in the trailer, when there was a picture of Kyon in school uniform at the front of the novel? (when he was asking Asakura why she was there)
Either some art director got it wrong...
or Noizi Ito-sensei XD
Old 2010-01-16, 15:32   Link #172
Phocus
◕ ◡ ◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
Remind me, why does Kyon wear some kind of thick fleece in the trailer, when there was a picture of Kyon in school uniform at the front of the novel? (when he was asking Asakura why she was there)
Either some art director got it wrong...
or Noizi Ito-sensei XD
Well I'm assuming the movie is trying to be more "correct" in a sense that this took place during a cold winter morning, and Kyon just arrived at school when he noticed that Asakura appeared.

He does wear his normal uniform later, only when he's interrogating the student next to him about Haruhi and Asakura.
Old 2010-01-19, 09:35   Link #173
s07195
However,

meh. More speculation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qykk...eature=related
it's SUPPOSEDLY the opening song or something, just checking youtube and found this

god i feel stupid for putting this post up...

PS don't mind the video (from S1) but listen to the music

Adios!

EDIT: Forget it. It's uploaded in 2007. Sorry guys :P

Last edited by s07195; 2010-01-19 at 09:44. Reason: stupidness
Old 2010-01-19, 15:40   Link #174
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

I guess it's okay to be mistaken, and 2007 seems to be the best indicator of whether or not the video is a fake. After all, it's the year that KyoAni trolled fans with Disappearance

The theme song for the movie, Sweet Oblivion, probably won't be on early. This is due to the fact that it's going to have two releases, one as a single and another as part of the OST. KyoAni loves trolling, but I doubt even they would throw a major chance to earn huge profits out of the window.
Old 2010-01-19, 16:34   Link #175
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
I guess it's okay to be mistaken, and 2007 seems to be the best indicator of whether or not the video is a fake. After all, it's the year that KyoAni trolled fans with Disappearance

The theme song for the movie, Sweet Oblivion, probably won't be on early. This is due to the fact that it's going to have two releases, one as a single and another as part of the OST. KyoAni loves trolling, but I doubt even they would throw a major chance to earn huge profits out of the window.
The OST does not have Sweet Oblivion on it. The tracklisting is here if you would like to double-check. The only time Sweet Oblivion will be released is on it's own single on Feb 24th, about three weeks after the movie.
Old 2010-01-19, 21:52   Link #176
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The OST does not have Sweet Oblivion on it. The tracklisting is here if you would like to double-check. The only time Sweet Oblivion will be released is on it's own single on Feb 24th, about three weeks after the movie.
Oh, snap. And here I was thinking that you pre-ordered both for just for collection purposes. Guess I'll have to pre-order both too. Sorry for the mix-up!
Old 2010-01-19, 22:13   Link #177
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Oh, snap. And here I was thinking that you pre-ordered both for just for collection purposes. Guess I'll have to pre-order both too. Sorry for the mix-up!
I pre-ordered both through a middlewoman service so I could get the special double-sided poster (will look nice in my apartment next fall) that comes with purchases of both from certain stores. I absolutely love the BGM from the series, so the OST was a must-buy for me, and why not get the poster while I was at it. I shall share pictures (and if possible a scan) when I get it in March (shipping times suck).
Old 2010-01-20, 10:41   Link #178
s07195
However,

where do you get BGMs? Damn I gotta get that OST disk. Plus the single, if possible.
Anticipating next month.

I wonder how much that poster will sell on eBay?
Old 2010-01-20, 10:59   Link #179
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
where do you get BGMs? Damn I gotta get that OST disk. Plus the single, if possible.
Anticipating next month.

I wonder how much that poster will sell on eBay?
With the exception of the movie OST, the BGM is on the extra disc that comes with the Japanese Limited Edition set. The first 8 DVDs have the music on a CD with excepts from the radio show produced by Lantis while the 2009 DVDs have it on a DVD that has features from Taniguchi's seiju (whose name I can never remember). Unfortunately, the BGM was never released on a separate set in Japan or North America. There may be one in another region, but I do not know if it is out there.

I wouldn't bet that the poster will be on Ebay. Your best bet would be on Yahoo Japan to get it.
Old 2010-01-20, 22:05   Link #180
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Like Kagami in Lucky Star said, the Japanese love their Limited Edition stuff

I wish I could get the poster as well, but I don't even know if I can get one with pre-orders. After all, given the popularity of Haruhi in Japan and the hype built up behind the movie which has been 3 years in the making (Did I just say 3 years?), I expect the movie tie-ins to sell out fast.

Heck, at the end of the official trailer there appears to be some kind of SOS Brigade promotional bookmark/ticket stub/whatever. Anyone has a clue what that is?
Closed Thread