AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-01-20, 22:52   Link #61
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Some of weaboo characteri defined in Indonesia:
- Thinks that Japan is a holy land, a superior country, a land with no flaw.
- Only listen to Japanesse song, thinking other country's music sucks.
- Add a lot of Japanesse slang word even not speaking with otaku (just only to sound cool). Eg "Oh, you are so kawaii with that dress." "This food is Oishii..." etc
- Didnt have much knowledge outside of "Japan". Even the knowledge of Japan comes from dorama / anime / manga.
- Easily to provoke when Japan is being ridiculed.

My friend has compiled a long list of weaboo characters in his FB, but this is the most common traits i believe i have encountered so far.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 23:06   Link #62
otakujohn

I honestly haven't given it much thought....

I suppose the term is perfectly acceptable for those that think Japan is some kind of land of perfection, and they regret not being born Japanese.

I use the term weeaboo pretty frequently though, in a comic manner. For example, "imma watch me some of those weird Chinese weeaboo cartoons!"
otakujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 23:27   Link #63
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Funniest thing...he's local right? Are we here even yellow, more like fried under tropical sun until well done
I AM yellow. Or at least my skin tone is. Runs in the paternal side of the family that people think I have jaundice.

Most Asians are yellow I think, due to the Vit D surplus thanks to the equatorial sunlight.

Quote:
Are you going to use some term to label Lafcadio Hearn? He's like....the pinnacle, yet who can deny his success?
In 10 years time, that name will be history. Then we would know Vexx's real name from the banner of a Japanese private preschool/kindergarten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
- Add a lot of Japanesse slang word even not speaking with otaku (just only to sound cool). Eg "Oh, you are so kawaii with that dress." "This food is Oishii..." etc
- Didnt have much knowledge outside of "Japan". Even the knowledge of Japan comes from dorama / anime / manga.

My friend has compiled a long list of weaboo characters in his FB, but this is the most common traits i believe i have encountered so far.
People start out like that. Or at least a number of otaku I know start out so. Until they read about LDP, DPJ and the Japanese political scene

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 23:40   Link #64
sa547
*Author

Both words, IMHO, despite being insulting -- best describe some fans who take their enthusiasm about Japan way too far as they live in an bubble of false ideals (I also recall that the Japanese suffered from a case of reality shock upon arriving in Paris, having been fed a falsified fantasy view of France in which Parisians look like fashion models and wear designer labels all the time).

The term Japanophile is, I think, used to say about those who are interested in Japanese culture but restrained, seriously academic, understands the reality of modern Japanese life (TBH, it's somewhat bleak over there, or could induce homesickness for some) and never delve into the usual cliches; some of them are very open-minded.

There's a world of difference between those two groups.

As for me, I'm just an anime viewer. And I still love my country.
Old 2013-01-20, 23:51   Link #65
Pink Cow
This is my title.

There's also those who refuse to acknowledge how names are supposed to be pronounced, especially if the names are obviously not Japanese. I remember there used to be some debate about RAITO and LIGHT... And there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VjSfnhCNm8

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 23:52   Link #66
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, I'll take the label "japanophile" ... though I'm also a "nordophile" (Scandinavian culture) ... and a "germanophile" (germanic regions) ... heck, I'm fascinated by a number of cultures and read voraciously about all of them.
Old 2013-01-20, 23:56   Link #67
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I do confess to having an admiration for Japanese Lean Manufacturing. Toyota is probably one of the best car companies around.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 04:03   Link #68
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
yeah, I'll take the label "japanophile" ... though I'm also a "nordophile" (Scandinavian culture) ... and a "germanophile" (germanic regions) ... heck, I'm fascinated by a number of cultures and read voraciously about all of them.
Yea, why is it only bad to like japanese stuff? You can be weeaboo and like anythng! racist
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 07:47   Link #69
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

People start out like that. Or at least a number of otaku I know start out so. Until they read about LDP, DPJ and the Japanese political scene
Please...the general populace over there in Japan think their government is less effective than vapor. If anything turning green over their political scene identifies with them

You actually seemed.....sickly white to me....
Old 2013-01-21, 07:58   Link #70
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I admit, I have once gone the path of weeaboo, until I learned about the dark sides of Japanese culture.

I'll be keeping my citizenship for good. Japanese culture is best enjoyed as a tourist.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 08:12   Link #71
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I admit, I have once gone the path of weeaboo, until I learned about the dark sides of Japanese culture.

I'll be keeping my citizenship for good. Japanese culture is best enjoyed as a tourist.
Yep. Esp since Japan doesnt allow dual citizenship (a half japanese friend told me this).
Old 2013-01-21, 08:20   Link #72
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Yea I've heard of Japanese trying to act black, which is just as bad if not worse (then again, chances that a Japanese black wannabe in Japan will annoy an actual black person to death with their misguided views on their culture are pretty low. Unfortunately in America I have seen some people hang out with other people, including Japanese, just because of their race, like they're collectable figurines or some shit).
It doesn't annoy us actually, its more just hilarious than anything, because they look. . .well ridiculous, AND they have the black style down. . .that was the style in 1995 Most black folks aren't worried about those guys. usually they are either REALLY FUNNY, or pretty chill

. . .but usually pretty funny

I remember when I went to Osaka (to escape the radiation -.-) met up with some friends there and went to a club, and we met these dudes tryin to act black, and first they said that one of us looked like ice cube, asked us if we had a gun, and was mimicking gun violence or whatever, saying yo yo yo, check it out etc. . .which SOUNDS pretty racist. . .but they just looked really ridiculous(we found it hilarious actually) especially upon finding out that they were in their mid 30s still living with their parents and really didn't have an actual job (they were working part time somewhere).(yeah living with your parents till marriage in Japan is a cultural thing but still) it was just hilarious!

there also ARE RICH kids that do this, and do it to the extreme, to the point where they buy low rider cars and cruise around Shibuya at night with their girls...

which looks pretty cool because. . .well you know they are rich!
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 08:54   Link #73
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
I scanned this thread and there's one thing that bothers me here with some of the posts:

Since when was mimicking or copying another's movements, speech mannerisms and style without malice or demeaning the other, considered 'racist'?

And there's 1001 things I could add about 'racism' from the Japanese side (or rather, the narrow-mindedness) that would land half the country with a lawsuit if their actions were practised within the West (America)

But as someone mentioned earlier, Japan is a great country... as a tourist, starry-eyed and all, and this thread is for the 'white' side I believe.

However I will never get over my love or giddiness for samurai, geisha, kimono, hakama, ninjas and all things traditional despite living here for so long that my eyes have hardened and my mind is weary. Naruto is one of my life's inspiration, I'll keep my fangirlism until the very end

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 09:03   Link #74
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I scanned this thread and there's one thing that bothers me here with some of the posts:

Since when was mimicking or copying another's movements, speech mannerisms and style without malice or demeaning the other, considered 'racist'?
They are talking about the term
Old 2013-01-21, 10:33   Link #75
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Please...the general populace over there in Japan think their government is less effective than vapor. If anything turning green over their political scene identifies with them
I would say that across the entire of East Asia, none of the governments are rather effective in anything, other than that of China - although they enforce their way through brutality.

Quote:
You actually seemed.....sickly white to me....
Hop over to the Cosplay thread for this.

Quote:

I don't know Madam. I never intended that. LeoXiao can back me on this as long as I find him a pretty onee-san to take him home. Will you like to be the one?

Quote:
And there's 1001 things I could add about 'racism' from the Japanese side (or rather, the narrow-mindedness) that would land half the country with a lawsuit if their actions were practised within the West (America)

But as someone mentioned earlier, Japan is a great country... as a tourist, starry-eyed and all, and this thread is for the 'white' side I believe.

However I will never get over my love or giddiness for samurai, geisha, kimono, hakama, ninjas and all things traditional despite living here for so long that my eyes have hardened and my mind is weary. Naruto is one of my life's inspiration, I'll keep my fangirlism until the very end
The only thing that intrigues me are how they wage war. Kyudo is as much an art as tea ceremony, and the philosophy of swordsplay bears incredible amounts of resemblance to that of the Chinese. They made the same dumb mistake of increasing the sword size to dual-purpose the weapon for both calvary and infantry (see the zanbatou for details), and they seem to have the same tenets of warfare (Art of War) in the same three-way war (Three-Kingdoms vs Sengoku).

Oh yes, the Art of War is a fun read. In its original language that is.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-01-21, 10:41   Link #76
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Classic Japanese strategy book is Go Rin No Sho by Miyamoto Musashi...you can compare that to Sunzi's work
Old 2013-01-21, 10:52   Link #77
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Classic Japanese strategy book is Go Rin No Sho by Miyamoto Musashi...you can compare that to Sunzi's work
Attitudes of Swordsmanship under Book of Water has the exact same basic concepts as Wing Chun.

And Wing Chun has concepts which are similar to Krav Maga (actually summarised into only one - hit hard, hit fast, put him down, don't let him up), but Wing Chun's explanations are more long-winded (ironic that it goes against Bruce Lee's ideology of "hack away at the unnecessary").

There used to be this China kid in my class who was as intrigued in wuxia as I am (of course, being nerds we stick together; wuxia nerds are rare). I recommended him the English version of the Book of Five Rings, and then subsequently we were joking about how Miyamoto Musashi was actually the real-life Dugu Qiubai from Smiling Proud Wanderer.

Now I HAVE to learn Japanese to read the original essence of the work. Dammit.

Old 2013-01-21, 12:09   Link #78
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post

Those three are what annoys me the most. The second one, while it is not bad as other ones, is more cringe worthy.

The moment that pushed me to truly hate weaboo was when Hetalia came out. I was so disgusted with so many anime fan bashing Korea and it was my first time I begin to hate anime community. Granted most of the comments were Sankaku and they do not represent anime fandom, but ever since then I just hated weaboos.
Old 2013-01-21, 12:35   Link #79
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

These terms should be only used for those who are like "Oh my god the japanese version is SOOO much better, Samurai>Knights, NINJA FTW!"

You know the overobsessed american japanese fans.

But not in a hateful way, just a "Ugh, yea we get it you're a weeaboo"

Basicly what Azuma said.
Old 2013-01-21, 12:57   Link #80
Kudryavka

Quote:

I'm not saying weeaboos are racist, though marginalizing a whole race into a tiny box of unrealistic and untrue expectations is pretty questionable. I'm saying the people who abuse the term against anyone who likes anything japanese are being racist. There're basically saying, "You can only like something about Japan if you're either japanese or extremely insane." Because everyone knows only insane people ever dare like any culture other than their own. The racism stems from how there are quite a few other cultures which are just as foreign yet "okay" to like, at least in my country. Just Asian cultures are weird to like, theuy say.

ntm there are some weird (imo racist) descriptions of the term, like saying only white people can be wapanese or non-japanese asians can't be unhealthily infatuated with japan (b/c its tots normal to like japan if your asian. But not others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Those three are what annoys me the most. The second one, while it is not bad as other ones, is more cringe worthy.

The moment that pushed me to truly hate weaboo was when Hetalia came out. I was so disgusted with so many anime fan bashing Korea and it was my first time I begin to hate anime community. Granted most of the comments were Sankaku and they do not represent anime fandom, but ever since then I just hated weaboos.
Ugh... the same thing happened when the first Korean Vocaloid singing software came out. Some Japanese on NicoNico decided to bring the software and its users down just because it was Korean, calling her a copy. What's even worse is that people on Youtueb started mass downvoting that Vocaloid's videos there as well, just because the Japanese were hating on her.

And I remember that Hetalia mess. Didn't it start because an episode of the anime showed some twisted version of the Rape of Nanking and made it out to be funny or Korea's fault or something? Though I commend the author for being able to poke fun at everybody with his country characters, I think he (or the anime director) should have known which spots were too sensitive to touch. Weird b/c the anime didnt even show in South Korea...

And yea, Sankaku is full of grossly biased and uninformed opinions. Swore off that place when I read people laughing at cosplays and calling them terrible just because it wasn't Asians doing them (wtf?!).

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-01-21 at 13:13.