AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-03-13, 17:04   Link #1
Shadow Kira01

Exclamation PSP Trivial Issue

I have been wondering for awhile...

Is there anywhere to open up the psp, so that I can remove a tiny black dot on the outer layer of the screen. It is somewhat annoying, even though I had been ignoring the tiny black dot since I noticed it awhile back. However, it would be nice if I learn how to remove it, not mentioning that I might want to change my psp cover from black to silver when I have the chance to do so. Generally, I would like to remove this and clean the screen. Is it possible without damaging it?

And when I mean screen, I don't mean this...

Spoiler:
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 17:13   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

If you're 100% positive it's not a dead pixel, try googling for "psp faceplate replacement howto".

In your case you don't need to replace the faceplate (assuming the black dot is some easily removable speck of dirt), but I think the procedure is about the same (I've never tried it though).

Here's a YouTube video that explains it:
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 21:50   Link #3
Shadow Kira01

It's rare to see GHDpro around these corners..

Thanks for the help!

Edit #1: Unfortunately, I don't have the right tools to remove the faceplate. I guess I will try that another time.

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-03-13 at 22:03. Reason: update
Old 2009-03-15, 18:01   Link #4
jigoku shoujo

if its a dead/stuck pixel, you can try a video who quickly changes to try fix the pixel.

http://roobaroo.net/2006/06/22/psp-dead-pixel-fixer/
jigoku shoujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 18:26   Link #5
holyalexander
holy alexander

yeah you can pop-up the casing.. well thats how you can replace the color of your PSP..
holyalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 20:50   Link #6
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
i wouldn't take the faceplate off unless you wanna void your warranty cause one of the screws that needs to be removed to allow the faceplate to pop off is under the warranty sticker... unless your warranty is well and truly passed then go nuts with the silver faceplate ^_^
TubZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 20:56   Link #7
TubZzz
*IT Support

btw... you just need an 00 sized phillips screwdriver to remove all the screws required to replace your faceplate
Old 2009-03-16, 16:18   Link #8
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
btw... you just need an 00 sized phillips screwdriver to remove all the screws required to replace your faceplate
Can't it be any "x" shaped screwdriver? What's the differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubZ View Post
i wouldn't take the faceplate off unless you wanna void your warranty cause one of the screws that needs to be removed to allow the faceplate to pop off is under the warranty sticker... unless your warranty is well and truly passed then go nuts with the silver faceplate ^_^
No wonder.. I couldn't find the screw underneath my battery. So, it's under the warranty sticker? I don't mind voiding it. Actually, it's not that I want to change my faceplate to silver but rather that there is a peck of dirt under the faceplate. It is somewhat annoying, even though I hadn't done anything about it since I noticed it awhile back.. Apparently, I had happened to have upgraded my firmware after buying the psp and before noticing the peck of dirt; it was brand new. I thought it was the lens being dirty, so I ignored it. A few days later, I realized that the peck of dirt was actually under the faceplate but that was too late. I didn't think it would be okay to exchange it even with the receipt if I had upgraded the firmware to OFW 3.4 and so, I left it alone.
Old 2009-03-16, 18:08   Link #9
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Can't it be any "x" shaped screwdriver? What's the differences?
Afaik an "x" shaped screwdriver is a Phillips* screwdriver. You just need a really tiny one.

Edit: Acccording to Wikipedia, there are other types of "x" shaped screws, but the "Phillips type" is probably the more common one.

*) Oddly while Philips is a Dutch company, we don't call them Philips screwdrivers over here, but simply "cross-head" screwdrivers. Wrong Phillips.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 19:00   Link #10
TubZzz
*IT Support

i'm starting to get really curious about this speck of dirt... would you be able to post an image of for psp for further analysis
Old 2009-03-16, 19:02   Link #11
TubZzz
*IT Support

oh and it might be a dead pixel as GHDpro suggested so an image would really clarify a lot ^_^
Old 2009-03-17, 09:29   Link #12
Shadow Kira01

It's not that I don't want to, but when I take a picture using my cell phone. For some reason, I can't seem to locate the peck of dirt on it. I tried it using a number of different colored wallpaper, as well as game screens but the black dot is so tiny that it isn't even visible or perhaps, the quality of the picture taken itself is very poor. The size of the peck of dirt is roughly the size of this:

As you can see, this is pretty tiny. It can't be a dead pixel or at least, I don't think it is. I will post my findings when I pop the case sometimes this week or the next.

Here is a screenshot taken using my mobile phone:

As you can see, the quality is so poor; the screen is too blurry to make out a tiny peck of dirt that is the size of a black dot.

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-03-21 at 18:22. Reason: updated with screenshot.

Tags
psp