Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-01, 02:40   Link #901
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Yes, but the ending was pretty bad.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 10:53   Link #902
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Yes, but the ending was pretty bad.
K people get it, you didn't like the ending. Move on or make a new point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post

I know everyone saying about how different this anime, but I wonder if that still true if the media isn't anime, but an asian live-action for example.
It's completely beside the point, which is why nobody has considered it. That's what we call a "what if".

Also isn't it supposed to be against the rules to talk about a manga this much in an anime thread. Those things are supposed to be discussed in a manga thread in the proper subforum so I would suggest people make one and then they can talk about the manga all they want. This is the anime thread, mention of the manga should be brief and passing at best lest you spoil people.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 21:33   Link #903
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Very nice ending but it could have been longer I would have like to see more jam sessions

8/10
Old 2012-07-04, 09:36   Link #904
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Something a little different, real life vs anime comparison of the town.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 13:47   Link #905
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The problem is motivation. We never even got a clear picture of Sen's motivation in leaving, except that he somehow didn't get along with his father, and felt guilty abut the accident. I can imagine things, but the anime developed relationships quite carefully right up until the last episode, then went for the view from afar. But Sen is the least of my worries. His becoming a priest makes perfect emotional sense.

The main motivation that was missing for me was Kaoru's in never getting closer to Ri-chan. He spent much of the show desperately trying to become her boyfriend -- while despairing it could ever be -- then when they established bonds of affection, he just stopped seeing her. Why?

Once again, I can imagine things. Psychologically, perhaps the loss of Sen simply took away all his joy in living. Maybe with Sen gone he paradoxically felt he could never beat him out for Ri-chan's affection (what an idiot). Maybe he suddenly realized he had to concentrate on his grades if he was going to achieve his ambition. Maybe he felt guilty toward her because he knew he had to go away to college. But the writers never showed us an explanation, except that he was inexplicably unable to make progress after his confession. Even giving us more time to get used to that situation might have worked emotionally, but what they did didn't work, at least for me.

Now I read here that these things were actually explained in the manga, and just left out of the anime. I'll go and read the last few chapters of the manga. But the anime has to stand on its own.

I am forced to imagine that the writers and director messed up their timing, going into too much detail in the first part of the show, so they had to skip a lot of things to get to the end in time. Maybe it was even the producers ripping the thing apart when they saw the timing getting out of whack. Or it was the plan all along, and just an error in judgment.

I don't mind long time-skips. I don't care whether they stick with the manga or not. I just want some motivation and explanation, so the people don't suddenly go from being real humans with real motivations, to being inexplicable cardboard cut-outs.

Unfortunately, the bizarre last episode-and-a-bit simply destroyed all the enjoyment and admiration I had felt up until then. I start to think back over the relationship between Sen and Kaoru and see that it never really went anywhere after the first few episodes. We end up with characters who mean nothing, and about whom I can't care.

But thanks to wandering-dreamer for the tour of sacred sites.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-07-11 at 17:30.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 23:14   Link #906
Holy Knight
Time Bomb

This show was a heavy disappointment. So much potential ruined, to a point that I don't think I can recommend this anime to anyone.
Holy Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 09:12   Link #907
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Just a little reminder:

This is the anime thread, so out of courtesy for those viewers who may not have read it yet, please take discussions of the manga to the appropriate thread, or place anything not covered in the anime itself under a spoiler tag.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 11:10   Link #908
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

This seems as good a place as any for this video snippet of contemporary jazz band Fourplay performing at Blue Note Tokyo 2011-12 on New Year's Eve.

Of perhaps more relevant interest: the band's keyboardist, the Grammy Award-winning Bob James, visited Iwate prefecture last year shortly after the March 11 quake and tsunami. Stunned by the scale of destruction, James was inspired to compose Put Your Hearts Together, a special piece dedicated to the victims and survivors of the twin disasters and performed for the first time with the Sandpipers Orchestra, Ofunato city's amateur big band club, whose members all miraculously survived without injury, along with their tiny prefabricated clubhouse by the coast.

I've linked the documentary depicting their collaboration here in the General Chat subforum. Do have a gander if you love jazz and Japan.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 17:49   Link #909
Kirarakim

Interesting interview with someone who worked on some of the animation of the series

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index....w-with-bahi-jd

Now he said there was no rotoscoping, but I am a bit confused if he meant none in general or none in his scenes.

He is also from Austria which I thought was kind of cool.
Old 2012-07-16, 18:16   Link #910
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

^
Thanks for sharing that. About the rotoscoping, he was only talking about his own scenes.

I also thought it interesting how some Japanese viewers wrote to him commenting that the beckoning gesture was more European than Japanese. I had wondered about it when I watched the episode myself, wondering if Japanese people beckoned like the 'beckoning cat' even when in a hurry (as opposed to what had been animated).

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2012-07-17, 18:16   Link #911
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
For some reason this reminded me of season 2 of "Honey and Clover" and Season 2 of "Nodame Cantabile". Lots of content in half the time and this one left me less emotionally satisfied than either of those two series mainly because the ending is ambiguously stated.

Lots of good potential. Lots of interesting characters.

Some frustrations:

Spoiler:

ASB rating? C+

Mainly because it could have been so much better than it was. The raw ingredients were there for an altogether better show. Maybe I should read the manga even if it is frustrating.
Old 2012-09-02, 15:27   Link #912
Kirarakim

So apparently the music scenes were not rotoscoped

https://twitter.com/gokuffy/status/242351951902302208

https://twitter.com/gokuffy/status/242352070492057602
Old 2012-09-02, 16:29   Link #913
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
If that's true then my jaw will immediately hit the floor.
Old 2012-12-31, 05:51   Link #914
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Hm...finally sitting down to watch some of the BD/DVD specials, now I'm wondering whether it'll be fully confirmed in one of them. The first one has Watanabe himself revealing that:

(1) cameras were set up to film the performers from many angles

(2) stills from the videos were printed out, and

(3) the storyboards and the frames for the scenes were drawn based on those printouts. (<= it's unclear whether any tracing was done - there is a part where Watanabe says that 'sometimes (the picture) was placed on top, and sometimes not', but I'm not 100% sure what he was referring to yet)

There were a few complications for the ensemble scenes, since the studio wasn't large enough for them to film them all together, so they shot all the performers separately, and assembled the scenes from those disparate parts. The side-by-side comparisons of the 'storyboard' and the finished animation are quite amazing...

- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2013-02-12 at 18:26.
Old 2013-01-01, 01:17   Link #915
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

So is there any chance of this getting another season? I remember reading it didn't sell that well. I would love to know what happens next without having to read the manga.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 01:45   Link #916
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
So is there any chance of this getting another season? I remember reading it didn't sell that well. I would love to know what happens next without having to read the manga.
Well you wouldn't find out what happens next, the anime covered everything,it just really skipped a whole lot in the process so you'd need to read the manga to get what was skipped.
Old 2013-01-01, 02:03   Link #917
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Wait so the manga actually "covered" all of the manga? I guess I'm reading the manga then. It felt like they left a lot of things out. Especially towards the end, but I don't want to be complaining about the end again. Anyways, thanks for answering my quesiton.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 02:10   Link #918
Chandela
Straight Chillin

Quote:
Wait so the manga actually "covered" all of the manga? I guess I'm reading the manga then. It felt like they left a lot of things out. Especially towards the end, but I don't want to be complaining about the end again. Anyways, thanks for answering my quesiton.
I think that was one of the biggest complaints about this series. How much they left out in the anime and as a result, how rushed the ending felt. I have yet to read the manga so I cannot say for sure but I recall a few people mentioning it.
Old 2013-01-01, 02:15   Link #919
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Absolutely no chance. Maruyama Masao (founder of MAPPA) has said that the series was made knowing it would lose money, and there was no way they could have staged it for two cours.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 19:37   Link #920
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Sentai/Section 23 have released their May 2013 soliction, and this series will be available on DVD and Blu-Ray on May 7th, 2013

RightStuf Kids on the Slope DVD(Hyb)
RightStuf Kids on the Slope BD(Hyb)

The Blu-Ray will be at least a day 1 purchase from me. It will have both dub and subs and I am curious to how well it will sound in English.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, shoujo, slice of life