AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-09, 20:28   Link #641
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Now it's time for spoilers/information.

FIRST. 3rd and 4th pages of Animage contain some explanation of the key words, so hopefully this clears up some questions (and my own misunderstandings.) Here's some that are not 'duh'...

Spoiler for save space:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Now for a little bit relating to the arc of ep 5/6, nothing really very spoilery. Hei used to live where?

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Includes the preview text for 9/10.
[spoiler]Ep 9 and 10. The arc is called "The pure white dress is stained by the girl's dreams and blood". Please stop thinking about that.
Well I wasn't even thinking about THAT until you underlined it. Anyway, I lol'd.
Old 2007-05-09, 21:39   Link #642
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi-chan View Post
Well, I'm waiting to see Brazil and this Heaven's Gate later in this show.
Yeah, the mention of that was a total surprise. Now I wonder what in the Hell these things are.
Old 2007-05-10, 04:46   Link #643
hipeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
I'm also wondering about that, if Hei is really a Contractor, why he's so emotional
Old 2007-05-10, 05:17   Link #644
runpsicat
Engrishator
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipeach View Post
I'm also wondering about that, if Hei is really a Contractor, why he's so emotional
Well, 80-90% of his apparent emotions are calculated displays meant to make his quarries trust him and confide in him. That's why Huang comments in ep2 to Hei in the "family restaurant" that Hei's their best man for the job. I think he also says something similar in ep4 about how Hei has no qualms duping those around him because he has no guilty conscience as a rational contractor. His question to Havoc/Carmine at the end of ep5 might be the first time we really see him being "emotional"--he has no reason to put up a facade for Havoc, so we know it's not feigned. Ep6 is going to be neat.
Old 2007-05-10, 07:17   Link #645
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpsicat View Post
I think he also says something similar in ep4 about how Hei has no qualms duping those around him because he has no guilty conscience as a rational contractor.
Huang thinks Hei has no remorse about duping people, but I think he is wrong. In fact, I think Huang is projecting his own cold-hearted attitude onto Hei. Hei clearly feels guilty about duping Chiaki and that is why he said that contractors are liars, it was a clear admission of his guilt. Huang is the one who doesn't think that dolls or contractors are humans. Hei is very much a human because of his guilty conscience.

If Hei were a "rational contractor" we wouldn't have seen him repeatedly acting emotionally, e.g. killing the first contractor on the rooftop when he was ordered by Mao to stop, hanging out with Chaiki, and letting her live, when Huang wanted her killed and her information stolen, even that scene where Mao shows up at the workshed and finds Hei is already gone in episode 4, is revealing that Hei doesn't simply act as a tool for the organization, he gets personally involved in every case.
Old 2007-05-10, 07:41   Link #646
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
november sure is a cool character...and even at times i keep getting this thought of him playing the bad guy role
November 11 = GAR of 2007
Old 2007-05-10, 07:51   Link #647
wao
OK.

You know, I never figured out what the heck GAR means exactly, but I think Kamina'd give all the 2007 males a run fo their money as the most awesome, manly and cool dude. And charming. In that crazy way...

I'm really looking forward to tonight's episode, although the 2-part nature of it makes me strongly believe
Spoiler for speculation:

I won't put my hopes up too high on the action for this show (if I want action eyecandy I'll watch Seirei or Gurenn, tyvm) but hopefully it won't be embarassingly short...
Old 2007-05-10, 07:55   Link #648
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
You know, I never figured out what the heck GAR means exactly, but I think Kamina'd give all the 2007 males a run fo their money as the most awesome, manly and cool dude. And charming. In that crazy way...
Here you go, a link that'll explain GAR: Link

Episode 05 was a solid episode in my opinion. Even though each story lasts two episodes, you're given enough drama that makes it such an amazing show to watch. Heh, seriously --- not shocked, it is Bones and all.

Hope we get a lot more from Carmine in tonight's episode. Looking very forward to it.
Old 2007-05-10, 07:59   Link #649
runpsicat
Engrishator
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Huang thinks Hei has no remorse about duping people, but I think he is wrong. In fact, I think Huang is projecting his own cold-hearted attitude onto Hei. Hei clearly feels guilty about duping Chiaki and that is why he said that contractors are liars, it was a clear admission of his guilt. Huang is the one who doesn't think that dolls or contractors are humans. Hei is very much a human because of his guilty conscience.

If Hei were a "rational contractor" we wouldn't have seen him repeatedly acting emotionally, e.g. killing the first contractor on the rooftop when he was ordered by Mao to stop, hanging out with Chaiki, and letting her live, when Huang wanted her killed and her information stolen, even that scene where Mao shows up at the workshed and finds Hei is already gone in episode 4, is revealing that Hei doesn't simply act as a tool for the organization, he gets personally involved in every case.
Oh, I'm with you there--I was just wondering what hipeach meant by Hei being "so emotional". Now that I've reread his/her post, I guess he didn't mean "so gushy/angsty", oops.
Old 2007-05-10, 08:39   Link #650
Vanehei
Sousuke rules

Send a message via MSN to Vanehei
So, guys, anyone knows how can we make this thread appear in a main menu?, i think that the show deserve it (sola has a main thread! come on!)
Old 2007-05-10, 08:44   Link #651
hipeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpsicat View Post
Oh, I'm with you there--I was just wondering what hipeach meant by Hei being "so emotional". Now that I've reread his/her post, I guess he didn't mean "so gushy/angsty", oops.
yup, I was wondering why Hei was obviously not the "completely rational and amoral" kind of character that Contractors are supposedly to become when they get contracted to some unknown inhuman being. He actually cares about the doll disguised as Chiaki because she's "a living being" when Contractors are supposedly unemotional killing machines with no regard for life".
Old 2007-05-10, 12:17   Link #652
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
hei is the type that holds his emotions in for a personal reason...something tells me that before he was a contractor he was just your average cheerful guy (like what the flashback suggests if he does have a connection with her) ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashima View Post
So, guys, anyone knows how can we make this thread appear in a main menu?, i think that the show deserve it (sola has a main thread! come on!)
by getting people more interested and talking about this series

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-10, 12:32   Link #653
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Just watched 5....geez Hei has a sister....this is gonna get interesting...not that it already isnt XD

Also question about what November 11 said about Contractors needing to smoke or drink even if they hate it...1-do we know why? 2-Hei doesnt do either so Im thinking the food thing??

Sorry if this has already been discussed Im not in this thread alot
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-05-10, 14:34   Link #654
wao
OK.

You know you're getting too obsessed with a show when you have a dream that while you were asleep episode 6 got released on ********... and then you actually wake up for it at 3am without an alarm... and then it's actually there....

And I don't know if it was a good thing or not, because after watching it now I can't go back to sleep (I have a test later lol.)

That was goooooood. Very gooooood. (In a DtB way. And you wouldn't believe this was outsourced to another studio...) I have to write about what happened...

But for now, six points that stuck in my head (aside from the fact that Naomi Shindou was awesome to me )

Spoiler:

They gave us sufficient warning the next arc was going to be a comedy/gag one, and it sure as hell is going to be one...
Old 2007-05-10, 14:38   Link #655
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Spoiler:
You've just made me explode. I can't wait to see episode 06.

& lol, i need to see preview for episode 07.
Old 2007-05-10, 15:02   Link #656
Katapan
俺様祭り

Wow, that preview for episode 07 is totally crazy. I was clearly expecting something very different from the previous arcs, but for it to be that different...

Spoiler for ep7 preview:

PS: a very minor spoiler from episode 6.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-10, 16:18   Link #657
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Well, I enjoyed the 3rd batch of episodes quite a lot. DtB continues to impress with really solid characterisation and unexpective perspectives.

In particular, I preferred this dilogy compared to the first two because episode 5 focused so much on the British, instead of on the Syndicate (Hei and co.) and because episode 6 really furthered Hei's character. His scenes with Carmine showed quite succinctly that our protagonist's bi-polar issues vis-a-vis dorky Lee and coldly murderous Hei are not so bi-polar after all.

Hei managed to show quite a lot of intensity and emotion while staying in his Hei persona, which was previously presented as deadly calm. Which, in turn, exposed that calm as a false facade. I thought it was quite interesting that the real person behind the "Hei" and "Lee" aliases is somewhat of an amalgamation of the two. The character traits of both personas began to intermingle as soon as the real Hei began to emerge under stress from meeting Carmine again.

I thought it was very effective.

Needless to say, the episode was very pleasant to watch. Both considering what I've mentioned above and the visual presentation. BONES really outdid themselves.

Spoiler for November:

PS: Though, seriously, what's up with that preview?!
Old 2007-05-10, 16:42   Link #658
wao
OK.

For anyone who wants to know what happened or didn't get it (not too dificult as surprisingly enough this was not such a dialogue-heavy episode although I had thought it was going to be)

Spoiler for ep6 first part:

Spoiler for ep 6 2nd part:

That is as far as I understand, at any rate. Perhaps I may have misunderstod some parts. But as MrProphet says, I think it's becoming clearer that Hei's personality seems to lie in between his two "personas" and this is also a somewhat confused personality. I remember this being mentioned in some interview or article or somethng, about how he maintains this fine balance between either personality so that he can live normally in society and yet carry out his job as a Contractor. It's really coming out...

As for next episode. Yeah. Talk about a super change of pace... and as I have repeated endlessly, an Ouran team. Dude, I wonder how the heck this is going to turn out.

Spoiler:

Mental preparation... mental preparation...
Old 2007-05-10, 17:37   Link #659
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Next episode preview also promises fanservice. 8)

Although, I thought he looked like Spike rather than Charles.
Old 2007-05-10, 18:17   Link #660
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Although, I thought he looked like Spike rather than Charles.
Yeah --- the preview is just 100% wacky. I hope Bones know what they're doing.. they probably do.

Spoiler for Episode 06:

Tags
action, supernatural