AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 52 27.51%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 24.87%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 14.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 12.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 16 8.47%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 3.70%
4 out of 10 : Poor 8 4.23%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.06%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 3.17%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-16, 00:16   Link #21
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Animation Quality: 6

The quality for this iteration was really a mixed bag, I have to say. I'm not expecting high levels like other people here, but what I did expect was some form of consistency. Sadly, it didn't really happen, and the art shifts in many of the episodes of Endless Eight were cringe-worthy (yes, I watched it all). This seemed to have reversed near the end (how apt), but it was probably done only so the show would come back in line with the art style used in Episode 00: Koi no Mikuru Densetsu (and thus not too jarring).

Voice Actors: 7

Eh, I've got a tin ear for Voice Actors (I can name only TWO VAs for certain that I can recognize every time, and that's Kawasumi Ayako and Wakamoto Norio), so I can't really say I appreciate the VAs themselves per se, but I did enjoy their performances when the situation called for really emotionally charged scenes. Kyon nearly blowing up on Haruhi near the end of Sighs was one of these.

Script: 7

The company was working with what little that they had for the Timeline, but it's here where we see that KyoAni's creative pool where it comes to the script is found lacking.

Soundtrack: 7

Again, tin ear with regards to these kinds of things, though I have to agree that if there was a song to be used for an OP, SUPER DRIVER was NOT it. I'd have preferred to have one of the songs in the Character CDs to have been used, but there you have it.

Editing: 7

Err, not really a major in Cinematography so can't really say much in this area, though some scene transitions and camera angle choices struck me as odd.

Enjoyment: 8

Ego loquor , ego etiam utor serius , tamen via Infinitas infinitio Duodeviginti fabula eram tracto vere pluo quam vel a bonus bulla amo Kyoto Animation planto a ingens erroris. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody quod Sighs mos non plene confingo pro is , tamen ego sum magis indulgeo quam alius

Overall Impression: 7

With that, I have to say, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Disappearance Movie. We'll just have to see if it can make up for the damage done.
Old 2009-10-16, 00:21   Link #22
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

True, most of the Endless Eight episodes, if taken on their own merit, are good episodes. The trouble is that people can't see get past that there are six episodes that are virtually the same, and two others that are partly the same (the first and last ones).

Each one was well voiced, most were well animated. And the story worked for each one. Just together they start to wear on the mental health of the viewer. I was even tired of it after seven weeks...though I did have fun talking about it to someone who doesn't watch the series, because it is actually funny to describe what is happening and see the reaction you get when you tell someone about this show that is repeating the same plot/situation/script week after week. And then telling them it is animated completely differently each week. The puzzled looks are priceless, because having the same plot and other things sounds no different that a lot of sitcoms or many other forms of television of late, but to find out this is animated, and then reanimated completely differently somehow defies all logic. And then to describe how well it is animated throws them for another loop. Then to do it to them again two or four weeks later, when the Endless Eight has still not ended (or just ended). Defies logic, but is fun to see the reactions. Also the description of the solution with its over the top heroic victory charge music, overly dramatic yelling of a mundane solution....its perfect for conversation.

Then there is Sigh. A simple D-grade high school movie project...until you point out what everyone involved is...and that the reality warper/god doesn't know anything about her powers. All is more or less fine and dandy...Mikuru's being abused, Kyon's annoyed, Itsuki's still smiling, and Yuki is there, sometimes reading even....then comes the first Mikuru Beam....situation is no longer normal. Red Alert.

BLR was a good starter and an important plot point. Probably the most important story this year of the lot. Just its important for later more than now.

(Myssa Rei gave something higher than a seven...wow)
Old 2009-10-16, 00:38   Link #23
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
*snips*

(Myssa Rei gave something higher than a seven...wow)
Well there is the mental fatigue, and I really suspect that, combined with the lack of expected resolution, that lowered the opinion of people for the franchise... And Haruhi turning into Yui for two episode.

And if you noticed, I did give a 6. It all evens out.
Old 2009-10-16, 21:59   Link #24
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Geez, this is a difficult one. I'm almost tempted to write a long essay on why this deserves a 10 just to annoy Kaioshin sama out, but I don't think that would help my credibility in the future. In general the E8 made me laugh for all the wrong reasons (mainly laughing at the fanbase and hatebase), and the non post modern type of episodes were quite decent in their own right. Not exactly a let down, but since I never considered the first season to be anything neaing a masterpiece it's not like I came with impossible to meet expectations. The series had to work with some of the weakest arcs in the Haruhi franchise, and well, whether it did it well is debatable, but at least it managed to satisfy me, even if it's not the next ARIA or Cross Game for me. Overall, I guess I'll give it an 8. Mainly because of you guys who hated Endless Eight. Watching your reactions every release day made my day.

Some may say it's a case of laughing at the series rather than laughing with it, but well, I'm laughing in the end I guess. Wahaha.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-10-17 at 00:06.
Old 2009-10-17, 03:12   Link #25
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
oh great a long thesis about Endless Eight.

Endless Eight: The Madness of Endless Eight and It's Spartan Consequences to KyoAni rofl
Old 2009-10-17, 11:00   Link #26
SealkidHaruhiism
Haruhi Suzumiya rules!!

Animation Quality: 9 -
I didn't like the K-ON! style for E8 and Sigh, but Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody animation looks good.

Voice Actors: 10 -
I don't really know.

Script: 10 -
I don't really know.

Soundtrack: 10 -
I like Haruhi 2009 op ,and The ED was kinda good, but I was expecting for a new dance.

Editing: 10 -
I don't know?

Enjoyment: 9 -
kyoani should at lease make Endless Eight for 3 episodes and not 8 episodes. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and Sigh were good.

Overall Impression: 10 - I don't know
I'm a Haruhi Fan, thats Why I rated it a 10!

PS: CAN"T WAIT FOR THE DISAPPEARANCE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!
Old 2009-10-17, 12:51   Link #27
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Realized this is about 2009 Haruhi too late, now I already voted 10.

Silly me.
Old 2009-10-17, 13:06   Link #28
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
It is? I thought it was "Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating." You know, with the 06 run included?

Then again, I suppose when something like Boredom is included, it deserves that one 4-vote.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-10-17, 17:16   Link #29
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

First, I'd like to say . . . movie . . . wait, what? I've been away too long. I think I need a drink . . .

. . . okay, now that I've had my liquor medication, we can begin the overall series review of Haruhi Suzumiya! I will be doing two reviews, in parallel. One of just the 2009 episodes, and the 2009 episodes as they fit into the overall 28 episode framework.

Animation Quality
2009 - 8 . . . that's right, an 8. Yes, BLR featured Freaky Kyon, and there were some corners cut in some episodes of Endless Eight, but everything else was excellent.
Whole Series - 9. Haruhi is a beautifully animated series. Yes, there were a couple places in 2009 where a corner or two might've been cut, but there were places like that in 2006 as well. For animation highlights, 2009 gave us Sighs. 2006 gave us Live A Live.

Voice Acting
2009 - 9. I watched 2006 in dub only. Now that I've seen 2009, I went back to the 2006 DVDs and switched between the dub and original language tracks. I felt that 2009's voice acting was better than 2006's.
Whole Series - 7. Yes, I know about twenty total words of Japanese. But I learned them all in 2009. I didn't learn them from the 2006 airing which, at the time I saw it, didn't seem especially notable to my ears. Maybe I'm just weird. Maybe being exposed to fourteen straight episodes of Japanese repeated three times apiece has tuned my hearing to the nuances of Japanese voice-acting. Maybe I just need another beer.

Script
2009 - 7. Well, expending expending eight episodes on Endless Eight was an expansion of the original material that was of . . . questionable wisdom. But, unlike the Cylons of the new Battlestar Galactica series, Kadokawa/KyoAni really did have a plan. We'll see how the movie turns out to see if this plan was worth it.
Overall - 9. The source material is . . . dense. Very dense. My collection of Haruhi light novels (and my computer, every time I visit the pirate light novel site,) are so dense, they bend light. KyoAni has done a superb job adapting it for television expanding it (for the most part) where expanding it would have the best effect, and keeping the storytelling tight and muscular . . . easily accessible to new viewers.

Soundtrack
2009 - 8. Super Driver and Tomare are catchy songs in their TV-sized versions. The new BGM really made Sighs worth watching for me.
Overall - 8. I think there are maybe two people on the entire planet who have managed to escape seeing Hare Hare Yukai and the "Haruhi dance" on IdiotYoutube. I don't think I can really say much more than that, other than What the hell did Kyon's sister do to deserve a character CD?

Editing
2009 - 6. The Cylons have a plan . . . the Cylons have a plan . . . the Cylons . . . okay, the plan pretty much kinda sucked. Kadokawa's planning a Disappearance movie, we've got fourteen episodes of new material to fill, and Sighs/BLR won't take up any more than six. So what to do. Make the viewers' eyes bleed Expand Endless Eight to Eight Episodes!!!111 Brilliant! Only not so much so. C'mon, production committee, you've got Tanigawa on a leash. Couldn't you have wrung another anime-original episode or three out of him?
Overall - 8. As I said in some other review section, the source material is astonishingly dense. If I were Kyon, they'd be taking me away in a padded wagon before I went through half the shit that he does. And KyoAni has turned it into a well-made 28 episode show. It loses a point for making Endless Eight so long, but they didn't have too many options if they wanted to save the Disappearance-related material for later.

Enjoyment
2009 - 8. I enjoyed this run about as much as I could enjoy any show where I didn't understand more than about twenty of the words that were spoken. It reminded me of my high school French class, when we used to watch French movies. None of them I really got because they were all in bloody French. Sure, there was a lot of Endless Eight, but it's possible to get a sort of enjoyment out of watching that too. And, much to my surprise, the DVD sales seem to bear this out.
Overall - 10. That's right. A ten. Note this on your calendars, ladies and gentlemen, for this will never happen again. I love this series. Why, I just got finished watching Episode 00 and the last three episodes of the 2006 run. And I've seen them quite a few times already. Everything else seems to take a while before I feel like watching it again, but not Haruhi.

Emotional Involvement
2009 - 7. They tried. They really tried with these meta-art stunts that they pulled. Make us feel Yuki's pain by taking us through eight iterations of her Five-Hundred Year Summer From Hell at the Hands of Sociopath Sue. Cut Sighs like one long movie, which could've been titled The Brutal Torture Unseen Since the InquisitionPassion of the ChristMikuru Asahina. It was a bit ham-handed, but it's part of the Haruhi Experience(tm). On the up-side, this part of the run gave some needed depth to Itsuki's character, and some of what goes on behind-the-scenes of the SOS-dan.
Overall - 8. I admit it. I get all emotional when I see Haruhi and Kyon. Even though they spend much of their time in denial about each other, and Haruhi has rightfully earned the moniker of Sociopath Sue. I want to see what happens to them. I want to see how Kyon will get himself out of whatever jam Haruhi has gotten him into. This series doesn't quite get a 9 from me because the rest of the SOS-dan is a set of interchangeable cardboard cutouts following well-defined tropes. Of course, one would argue that this is exactly how Haruhi/Kyon have set it up, since this is fundamentally a story about them.

Total Rating
2009 - 7.6: The Good: New material, new music, great visuals, and great voice acting. Sugita really takes it away this year. The Bad: Sociopath Sue and the Stockholm Syndrome Band. Questionable script and editing decisions. Mikuru drowning the Earth five times over in her tears. The Ugly: Itsuki in a Speedo. We have entered an endless recursion of time. We have entered an endless recursion of time. We have entered an endless recursion of time.
Overall - 8.1: The Good: Muscular storytelling, luscious visuals, art that isn't over-the-top. The Bad: Useless moeblobs. Still waiting for -ing Disappearance.
Old 2009-10-17, 20:48   Link #30
Jenni
B-baka!

Let's see... good music, crappy art, fluid animation, asinine marketing shenanigans, great voice acting and the travesty that is Endless Eight. Also considering that only about half the episodes are worth watching... this gets a 5/10.
Old 2009-10-17, 22:40   Link #31
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Must people really be reminded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairin View Post
The poll represents your total series rating for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairin View Post
In your review, you may choose to provide an overall rating for the 2009 episodes on their own, but in consideration for the way the show was actually aired on TV, the poll is designed to reflect the series on a whole with the new episodes added in.
So if you're giving it a 4 or 5, keep in mind that said vote includes the 14 episodes from 2006 as well, not just E8... or those two other stories that I forget.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-10-18, 01:15   Link #32
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Must people really be reminded?

So if you're giving it a 4 or 5, keep in mind that said vote includes the 14 episodes from 2006 as well, not just E8... or those two other stories that I forget.
Kogetsu... the OP made it perfectly clear that you can make a vote based purely on the 2009 episodes. You yourself are quoting the pertinent section... you're simply choosing to downplay it by bolding the "but..." portion that came after it.

And, as Kaoishin rightly suspected, most people are choosing to vote based purely on the 2009 episodes.

The reason, I suspect, is this... why should the slate of 2006 episodes get credited again?

Many people here already voted on that back in 2006. As such, many people want to strictly judge the slate of new episodes that we experienced as more or less a second season. Thankfully, the OP allows us to do that.

Also, to be blunt... I really don't think that 3 year old episodes (as superb as they are) should save KyoAni from getting a couple notches knocked off its ratings due to its awful E8 approach.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-10-18 at 01:59.
Old 2009-10-18, 03:27   Link #33
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Many people here already voted on that back in 2006. As such, many people want to strictly judge the slate of new episodes that we experienced as more or less a second season. Thankfully, the OP allows us to do that.
Ha? There was never an Overall Series Impressions poll for 2006. Also, most of the people that are counting only the new 2009 episodes did not even post in the original thread. Do a little more research next time.
Whoa! Major brain fart... humbled once again.

I got too used to the overall impressions being compressed in one thread that I didn't bother to click on when I found the old one. Sorry.

Last edited by Ice Block; 2009-10-18 at 09:08. Reason: whoa!
Old 2009-10-18, 06:48   Link #34
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Ha? There was never an Overall Series Impressions poll for 2006. Also, most of the people that are counting only the new 2009 episodes did not even post in the original thread. Do a little more research next time.
I'm afraid I should say the same to you ^^

Actually, the 2006 airing had:

1) An Overall Series Impressions Thread (here)
2) A Total Series Rating Thread with Poll (here)
3) Even a Favourite Episode Poll (here)
Old 2009-10-18, 06:52   Link #35
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

To be honest, I should really apologize. I just checked, and most of the people posting a rating for the series apparently didn't vote. My mistake.
Old 2009-10-18, 07:22   Link #36
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

I still don't see why anyone still hates E8. KyoAni is pretty much the most boring studio when it comes to adaptations... they pretty much stick to the script and don't bother being creative.

But this time they tried something, while sticking to the script (sorta), and failed (your opinion)?

Hahaha, I just still can't get over the fact that toward the beginning of each episode of E8... Haruhi would say something along the lines of: "You can never get back the time you lost." and "You can only live through each summer once."... and there the viewer was listening to this line said 8 times over 8 weeks (during the summer I might add) basically watching the same thing... that is some twisted humor there.
Old 2009-10-18, 07:37   Link #37
Megacrash Gr
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Send a message via AIM to Megacrash Gr
Storyline: 10

Animation: 10

Music: 8

E8 had to ruin it. so im giving it an 8. also I too can't wait 4 the movie. Although some arts and animation were nice during the run of e8.
Old 2009-10-18, 08:06   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I'm afraid I should say the same to you ^^

Well... will you look at that? I made a lengthy Haruhi review (on page 10), and a 9 rating, on that poll thread. Reading that old post of mine from early 2008 is interesting... most of my views on Haruhi have remained the same, but, if anything, the anime moved up a little bit in my list of all-time favorite animes.

Perhaps one good thing about this year of Haruhi episodes is that it helped me to see that Haruhi 2006 truly was a masterpiece, in many ways.

Thanks, Pellissier, for pointing out these Haruhi 2006 series review and total series rating threads.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-10-18 at 08:19.
Old 2009-10-18, 08:40   Link #39
Soelke
Not heat. Photon laser.

LOL. Here I go.

Spoiler for Emotional Involvement.:

Spoiler for Thoughts about the animation quality.:

Characters: 10/10

Spoiler for Suzumiya Haruhi:

Spoiler for Kyon:

Spoiler for Asahina Mikuru:

Spoiler for Nagato Yuki:

Spoiler for Itsuki Koizumi:

Spoiler for Soundtrack:

Overall, Haruhi is an epic win. I was so glad I got to experience this show during my lifetime and ride the rollarcoaster with everyone, y'know? Series gets a 10/10 from me...Hehe, I give perfect scores too easily xD
Old 2009-10-18, 09:23   Link #40
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post

3) Even a Favourite Episode Poll (here)
Thanks for clarifying -- I edited my previous post to reflect my misinformation.

However, my point still stands that people who did not share their thoughts on the 2006 eps on the above threads are being a bit unfair when they only count the new 2009 eps on their reviews here (which applies to most who are disregarding the 2006 episodes from their overall impressions).