Notices

Old 2011-08-11, 11:09   Link #381
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Great episode and now that is some awesome fanservice
i dont mind the fanservice at all, they did it in a fun way

good to see and know more about the village, the repair ppl, Kuga family

i also like that they show Kirio side of story too, his back that is full scars is really saddening

looking forward to the next eps where they will finally reveal that past
Old 2011-08-12, 07:02   Link #382
Seiryuu

I have to wonder just where Moyako grabbed Utao. After all, the order she passed on was not to clench her butt, but to clench her buttHOLE. After telling a girl to spread her legs, clench her anus and focus all her power on her crotch, I kinda doubt she just grabbed a buttock. After all, she never told Utao to do anything with her gluts.

Also, Kirio's back immediately made me think of the Solitary Doll Midarezaki Yuuka from another series.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 12:34   Link #383
ookamigirl

Back at the village. 50% happy she's back & 50% angry at her for the whole battle between kukuri's thing. Well, the training part was ok and getting to know her brother.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 19:39   Link #384
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

I actually tried this series starting at episode 6, and am glad I did. A lot of earlier complaints might have turned me away: episode three's 'why do we have five minutes of cake' makes sense when you realize that simply cycling the rest of the content up five minutes wouldn't have worked once you considered the following episode's pacing, and so on.

One of the complaints made most frequently about everyone being a cliche for X genre. Which, in consideration, doesn't make much sense.

Take Hibino. (Que 'I'd love to' from audience.) Yes, she has big boobs. But her boob size isn't the primary trait her character revolves around. It isn't a fanservice that the plot revolves around. This is neither a romantic comedy or an ecchi series or anything else that people were quick to label her as: she is not primarily a fanservice character. What she has is not central to her character, and it's very much something you need to work yourself over since the viewer can nearly always just not stare. For the most part, the camera angles don't exist to emphasize the bust, like most series love to do.

Is she a bit bland at this point? Well, I find her so: she has pleasant mothering skills, but her place in the plot remains to be found. As a 'outsider' who's entering into the world of the dolls, she's currently not very involved in any respect. But then, that's not exactly typical for a female lead of an anime series.

Nor would I call Kyouhei 'just another cliche protagonist.' He is, if anything, and anti-cliche in many ways, starting with that he's not the superest strongest skilled fighter. He's not the super-badass exceptionally superpowered person in a group of superpowered people. He isn't even a badass normal who fights without powers. Those two facets alone drive him out of similarity with a majority of most male leads: the fact that not being the lead ass-kicker hasn't meant he's a pasty wallflower puts him away from many of the rest. It's very much like Hibino said: he comes off as plain and unreliable at first, ie your non-badass male lead cliches, but it's enticingly evident that his initial composure is the suppression of his so-called 'true self'. That's not usual for a male lead at all, where the reckless, fearless, unshamable male lead maintains their character despite social criticisms/fears/etc. etc.

There are a lot of annoying cliches out there, and I'm actually having a hard time figuring out what applies to Kyohei. It's easy to identify ones that he doesn't: he isn't some lusting pervert for comedic effect, he neatly avoids the sis-con territory, he handles his own attraction towards Hibino in a reserved and mature manner without false brovado or eye-roll worthy flirting, he tries to avoid trouble and very much knows and regrets when he's fallen for a taunt, he struggles with his emotions but neither lets them rule him or pretends they do not exist, he neither moralizes towards others or makes proclemations of spirit of will...

Frankly, I like his character a lot so far. I tend to avoid older characters, and 'university student' avoids alot of the high-schooler cliches.

Utao is the real strength of the show so far, and if I had to give the show any criticism it's that they try too hard with her. She's the comedic relief agent, she's the one with the most out-of-place animation styles, she's the one with the over-the-top reactions...

But she's also very much a flawed heroine. Not in terms of personality flaws, though she has some, but in that she also avoids the problems of cliches suffered by main leads. She isn't the strongest puppet-controller: not to the initial rival (Aki), nor compared towards others. She's consistently clumsy, young, brash, and impatient... all appropriate flaws for a kid. She's got a good heart but we see quite regularly that if she had a good brain and good composure she'd do far better.

In fact, I find it interesting that Utao is the cause of both the primary battles so far. It was she who picked the fight with Aki when Aki was focused on Kyohei: reasonable, perhaps, but in retrospect it's more than obvious that Aki didn't seek or even try to force a fight with her. Likewise, when she started the fight with Kirio, it's the same flaws of her brash, youthful temper getting the better of her. What if she hadn't attacked: what then? In either case?

Trying so hard with the Humor can get a little tough (it's more of the childish gruntings that get repetitive), but she's definitely not a conventional little-sister character. (Such girls tend to be weak, defenseless angels of near-pure virtue for the big bro to adore and protect. Half the time, I think Kyohei wishes she wasn't there even if he wouldn't say it.)

There's a lot of familiar, badly trod ground this series doesn't go into. Invincible bodies of major characters, the super-sinister cult villages (surprisingly normal and even loving, if a bit sketchy), the romance-comedy fields and the tsundere traps, no maid armies or over-extended misinterpretations...

Not everything is NEW and AMAZING, and it certainly can claim flaws, but so far Kamisama Dolls has not been a conventional cliche boilerplate anime.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 12:51   Link #385
hoarfrost

Finally. My thoughts on it are still marinating but this is hands down the best episode of this show thus far, no question. This is what you can accomplish with a consistent tone which Kamisama Dolls has been sorely lacking thus far and this gives us a clear conflict and a direction for the story to go. It's too bad they stretched the "wait and see" game out for so long but better late than never.

Hopefully it doesn't just go back to being more of the same next week.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 13:19   Link #386
Sides

Wow, this weeks episode has a complete different tone.
Spoiler:
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 13:31   Link #387
EroKing

Episode 7

A pretty serious episode this week. That teacher had it tough being sexually harrased like that. Atsushi was a total dick. Senou had a bit of messed up past but didn't see it being wrong of her to sleep with Aki. Too bad she wasn't able to leave the village. The implied NTR scene was also quite heavy and finally got to know Aki's reason for hating the village so much. Senou was a pretty decent character imo. RIP sensei.
Old 2011-08-16, 13:42   Link #388
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Episode of the Year! Holy %#$^!!!

They even skipped the OP/ED to give us as much story as possible. Even fitted a nice song at the end.

I can't blame Aki for being who he is.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 13:52   Link #389
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Wow Sensei had a tough time. Atsuhi was total scum good thing Aki killed him. So he proved that a seki always has a bond with the kakashi so Kyohei could still control Kukuri. So since he found out that Aki in fact did not kill sensei is he still mad because she loved Aki and not him? Have to agree with AKi the village sucks.
Old 2011-08-16, 13:55   Link #390
Nvis
Where are the good animes

What was Kyohei burying at the end?
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 13:55   Link #391
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
What was Kyohei burying at the end?
Yea i didn't get that either
Old 2011-08-16, 13:57   Link #392
Sides

I guess it was the dog, i doubt it was the female teacher.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 14:03   Link #393
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
. So since he found out that Aki in fact did not kill sensei is he still mad because she loved Aki and not him?
Urg what are you talking about ? You don't know about that at all. I think it's more probable that he's angry toward Aki because he made fun of what happened back then.

And great ep, the end was beautiful.
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 14:17   Link #394
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Episode 07

Wow..... That was quite an ep. Funny how I can't say anything about it, because... it needs to be seen, anything I say here won't do it justice

I mean, discarding the usual OP and ED to emphasize the seriousness of this story of Aki, well done. I'm glad I didn't drop this series after that "cake incident", this series is a good example of me experiencing many different emotions, and I'm lovin it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San
I think it's more probable that he's angry toward Aki because he made fun of what happened back then.
I believe it has a lot to do with this. For example, Kyohei can keep sensei's promise and be friends with the dog-loving Aki, but not the slice-and-dice Aki
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 14:22   Link #395
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I know someone may have said it before, I think Aki and Kyohei can trade each other's voices and they would still be perfect roles for each other. (accelerator persona)

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 14:45   Link #396
zzhk
Summary Machine

Looks like Episode 7 confirms beyond doubt (through the kakashi tunes) what was never clearly stated in the manga:
Kyouhei was the one controlling Kukuri in Episode 5 when the left hand opened and reflected Takemigazuchi's lightning attack.
zzhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 15:08   Link #397
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
So the teacher slept with Aki because he reminded her of a boy who got run over by a car because he freaked out walking in on his dad sleeping with her?
Old 2011-08-16, 15:11   Link #398
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep7:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 15:14   Link #399
hoarfrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
So the teacher slept with Aki because he reminded her of a boy who got run over by a car because he freaked out walking in on his dad sleeping with her?
Why can't we all be the victims of such lucky convenience?
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 15:15   Link #400
Ghostfriendly

A harrowing episode, that really took its time to build forboding. I'm even more curious now about Aki and Kyouhei's relationship while they were Seki, and the opening flashback.

The big question is who sent the photo of Aki and Senou in bed to the school? The obvious criminal would be that d+ckwad Atsuhi, but if Kyouhei sent it out of jealousy...this episode gets even more hellish.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy, horror, romance, seinen