AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2012-01-03, 12:48   Link #7461
MainCharacter
All Evils of the World

I'm aware of the pun, and it makes sense, but the "i" in there always makes me read it in a thick German accent, and I just can't take it seriously or get used to it. Plus I've known them as Siesta for 2+ years now, so it'll always be Siesta for me.
MainCharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 14:39   Link #7462
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktox View Post
PS2: Does anyone know if there is a Tsubasa translation? And a Higanbana VN one? Thanks a lot!
Partial Tsubasa translation here.
Higanbana translation should hopefully be ready this month, or perhaps next month: http://ronove.blogspot.com/
Old 2012-01-03, 15:18   Link #7463
Ktox
????

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Someone else is making a Higanbana patch. Check this site for updates:

http://ronove.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
Partial Tsubasa translation here.
Higanbana translation should hopefully be ready this month, or perhaps next month: http://ronove.blogspot.com/
Great news, and thanks for the info, guys!
Yirba, best of luck with the whole project!
Ktox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 20:41   Link #7464
zorahk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainCharacter View Post
I'm aware of the pun, and it makes sense, but the "i" in there always makes me read it in a thick German accent, and I just can't take it seriously or get used to it. Plus I've known them as Siesta for 2+ years now, so it'll always be Siesta for me.
The thing is, if you attempt to say it with a Japanese accent, Siesta and Chiester sound *almost* the same. I mean, if you were just going to romanize the original Japanese, then yeah シエスタ becomes Shiesuta, but if I try to say the two different English forms they both end up basically sounding the same. So in text it may look different, but in reality Siesta and Chiester is basically the same thing. Chiester just has slight more emphasis on the first mora, or as far as I can tell from listening to my own voice.
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 21:31   Link #7465
Oblivion

Will Umineko ever be released for the iPhone/iPad? Similar to mangagamer's mobile version of Higurashi.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 22:26   Link #7466
kanketsu

After finishing Ep8, now I intend to replay the whole thing with "new perspective".
Problem is, I just realized that my ep1-4 installation on OSX is still plagued with the 10.7 full screen bug - the app will quit immediately after entering Full Screen Mode. Apparently this bug has been fixed in the latest ep8 patch - Chiru runs OK in full screen.

Assuming that this issue has been fixed in the latest Ep1-4 patch, am I required to re-install the whole thing from the disk again? If I am, are there any save files to back up or will they be gone for good?
kanketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 23:48   Link #7467
battlerwright

I just found out that Ryukushi also released Umineko Hane, which is some more extra tips like Umineko Tsubasa. I'm not sure who made the tsubasa patch, but if I remember right he used existing fan translations of the tips and put them in the game. Would the previous person who did the tsubasa patch, or anyone else be willing to do this for Hane as well?
battlerwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 00:21   Link #7468
UnknownBeast

I think the tips in Hane are new ones. So I can't just insert them and make a patch and stuff.
UnknownBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 00:50   Link #7469
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Unless Ryuukishi snuck some new ones in, it should just be "Forgery no. XXX" and "Jessica and the Killer Electric Fan", both of which have translations.
Old 2012-01-04, 14:36   Link #7470
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Will Umineko ever be released for the iPhone/iPad? Similar to mangagamer's mobile version of Higurashi.
MangaGamer weren't really involved with the development of Higurashi for iOS. Instead, it was originally developed by SEAMS in Japanese, using MangaGamer's translation for the English language version.

As for Umineko, I haven't heard anything about an iOS version. Indeed, I'm sure that if a developer such as SEAMS wanted to make an iOS version, they would be able to negotiate with HOBIBOX for the rights (since it'd probably be a commercial release, some of the music and sound effects would probably have to be replaced).

If a Japanese iOS version were released, that leaves open the possibility for an English language version. I doubt many developers would be willing to create a whole new translation, so I'm guessing it'd be down to whether they could negotiate with Witch Hunt to use their translation.

Of course, with nothing announced, this is all purely speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanketsu View Post
After finishing Ep8, now I intend to replay the whole thing with "new perspective".
Problem is, I just realized that my ep1-4 installation on OSX is still plagued with the 10.7 full screen bug - the app will quit immediately after entering Full Screen Mode. Apparently this bug has been fixed in the latest ep8 patch - Chiru runs OK in full screen.

Assuming that this issue has been fixed in the latest Ep1-4 patch, am I required to re-install the whole thing from the disk again? If I am, are there any save files to back up or will they be gone for good?
Okay, I've put together a step-by-step guide with screenshots to fix this problem. Let me know if something doesn't work.

View guide
Old 2012-01-04, 15:21   Link #7471
TW25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
Unless Ryuukishi snuck some new ones in, it should just be "Forgery no. XXX" and "Jessica and the Killer Electric Fan", both of which have translations.
This is correct. The only new content in Hane is, like Tsubasa, a Postscript unlocked after you read the two stories.

Last edited by TW25; 2012-01-04 at 15:36.
TW25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 17:31   Link #7472
kanketsu

@Yirba

Thanks for the guide. That's actually what I had done previously; albeit the source of onscripter.app was from my Chiru installation.

Decided to follow your guide precisely (re-download the Onscripter package) ... didn't solve the problem. I opened Console and apparently, the app couldn't "SDLMain.nib". So I copied the folder English.lproj from Chiru.

With that extra step, now it's working

Thx!

P.S. During the process I actually put the same ons.cfg at two locations: one is in Umineko English folder with the Umineko app (as pointed in the guide), and one inside the resource folder inside the app's package content (mimicking Chiru's structure). Not sure which one of those is working, so I just leave both of them be.
kanketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 19:22   Link #7473
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
MangaGamer weren't really involved with the development of Higurashi for iOS. Instead, it was originally developed by SEAMS in Japanese, using MangaGamer's translation for the English language version.

As for Umineko, I haven't heard anything about an iOS version. Indeed, I'm sure that if a developer such as SEAMS wanted to make an iOS version, they would be able to negotiate with HOBIBOX for the rights (since it'd probably be a commercial release, some of the music and sound effects would probably have to be replaced).

If a Japanese iOS version were released, that leaves open the possibility for an English language version. I doubt many developers would be willing to create a whole new translation, so I'm guessing it'd be down to whether they could negotiate with Witch Hunt to use their translation.

Of course, with nothing announced, this is all purely speculation.
Ah kk, thanks for expaining that. Is it possible to run Umineko on iOS as of now?
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 21:15   Link #7474
Kurizu204

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
So I'll take it "Clair vauxof Bernard/Bernardus" is also the spelling used? Or did the book just stick with "Clair"?

Well, considering "Chiester" sounds similar to "Winchester," the type of rifle used by the adults, I can't help but find it clever.
She is listed as "Clair Vauxof Bernard."
Kurizu204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 14:13   Link #7475
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Ah kk, thanks for expaining that. Is it possible to run Umineko on iOS as of now?
It's possible to run Umineko on jailbroken devices, although it takes some setting-up first. Certain features won't work properly and since there is only an iOS build of the Japanese ONScripter, there may be issues with English text. I won't link to it, but there is one website I know of with instructions on how to get it running on jailbroken devices.

I actually wonder if it would be possible to get an NScripter interpreter of some sort onto the App Store, so that people can play games using it…
Old 2012-01-05, 19:12   Link #7476
ghost_zero5

Because of those last questions:
I have been wondering but is there an onscripter for Android phones (that is compatible to Umineko English). Actually, I believe there is one (look here: http://onscripter.sourceforge.jp/android/android.html ) but I don't know if it supports English language or could be made to support English language.

Well, it isn't that important as I prefer reading on a bigger screen anyway but...
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 13:35   Link #7477
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_zero5 View Post
Because of those last questions:
I have been wondering but is there an onscripter for Android phones (that is compatible to Umineko English). Actually, I believe there is one (look here: http://onscripter.sourceforge.jp/android/android.html ) but I don't know if it supports English language or could be made to support English language.

Well, it isn't that important as I prefer reading on a bigger screen anyway but...
This will probably work for the most part, although I expect the text will be treated as Japanese, which could cause some undesired effects such as words being split up and the like.

It's always worth trying, I suppose…
Old 2012-01-06, 14:57   Link #7478
Mormel

Thank You

Hello,
Like many others, I felt that I needed to register here and thank Witch Hunt for their hard work, so
Thank You so much. I have never read such a good book before and I am glad that you made this piece of literature available to us non-Japanese speakers.
I mean thanks to you I paid a lot of money (see picture), but that was totally worth it.
Has anyone else this urge to buy the PS3 version, although not possesing a PS3? I always think that the price will skyrocket if you want to buy it in 2 years for example...
Spoiler for Picture:

While I'm at it, is it normal for Hane to not have a cover?

OT: The Japanese version of ran fine on my Android handset, but I coudn't get the English one to work :S
Mormel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 16:11   Link #7479
st_nick5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
Hello,
Like many others, I felt that I needed to register here and thank Witch Hunt for their hard work, so
Thank You so much. I have never read such a good book before and I am glad that you made this piece of literature available to us non-Japanese speakers.
I mean thanks to you I paid a lot of money (see picture), but that was totally worth it.
Has anyone else this urge to buy the PS3 version, although not possesing a PS3? I always think that the price will skyrocket if you want to buy it in 2 years for example...
Spoiler for Picture:

While I'm at it, is it normal for Hane to not have a cover?

OT: The Japanese version of ran fine on my Android handset, but I coudn't get the English one to work :S
Is the box this by any chance?
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...%24pagecnt%3D1

edit - And what's that underneath the "Our Confessions" booklet?
st_nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 17:15   Link #7480
xBTAx

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_nick5 View Post
Is the box this by any chance?
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...%24pagecnt%3D1

edit - And what's that underneath the "Our Confessions" booklet?
Looks like the boxart for the original OMK?
xBTAx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation