AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-11-21, 12:05   Link #1841
GundamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thousand Mistress View Post
I think one of the problems were the mecha.
Making the mecha the same as from the first series (especially Impulse, Strike Freedom and Legend), it makes it even less boring to watch.
Yeah the Impulse was to super robotish for my taste I also wish they would have held off on the dragoons on mobile suits until GSD and maybe introduce AI like the MD from Gundam Wing to add some variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
Dullindal wanted to make a world of genetic determinism, that means genes, period, Naturals, Coordinators, or otherwise. Your genes decide whether you live or you fail.
That would pretty much gaurantee coordinators would be the "choosen people" though and naturals would turn into essentialy a slave race though since there genes would be alter so they were the best candidates for positions of power, prestige and wealth. I realize the genetic engineering isn't 100% effective but it works well enough to keep the naturals down and make genetic determinism a very benifical path to coordinators.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 12:07   Link #1842
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
While a secondary problem, I also think that Gilbert's Destiny Plan not being expounded upon hurt this anime.

Something to keep in mind here is that the Coordinators are already well down the path that Gilbert wants to take them further on. Heck, that's a big part of what Gundam Seed's universe is all about - humanity being divided over using human genetic engineering on a massive scale (Coordinators) or choosing not to (Naturals).

In some ways, Gilbert's ideas are just a logical progression of what the Coordinators are already doing. What I took from Gilbert's admittedly hilarious promotional video for the Destiny Plan is that people will be genetically engineered to be proficient at certain jobs (you'd engineer so many people to be good mechanics, so many to be good doctors, so many to be good soldiers, etc..., etc...), and so Gilbert's idea is that people will no longer need to worry about having lives that they're dissatisfied with (in the sense that everybody will be good at what they do).

Or, at least, that's the sense I get. I don't know for certain because the Destiny Plan wasn't fleshed out enough, imo. The anime never makes it perfectly clear why the idea is as bad as Kira and Lacus make it out to be.
Old 2010-11-21, 12:53   Link #1843
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post

That would pretty much gaurantee coordinators would be the "choosen people" though and naturals would turn into essentialy a slave race though since there genes would be alter so they were the best candidates for positions of power, prestige and wealth. I realize the genetic engineering isn't 100% effective but it works well enough to keep the naturals down and make genetic determinism a very benifical path to coordinators.
Not quite. I mean, you don't control where good genes come from, Coordinators basically means choosing all the good genes and putting them into one person, but even then, the process isn't exactly perfect, which is why Kira is the "Ultimate Coordinator", because in his case, the process went PERFECTLY.

And well, good genes do develop naturally by well..err, Naturals, so while the Destiny Plan would benefit Coordinators yes, don't mean Naturals will get thrown out the window as well.

Destiny Plan is basically...well, fitting people according to their "genetic destiny". Basically means if a person's genes fit for a certain job, then that would be his job. But of course, as many people would attest to, just cause our genes said so, don't mean we wanna take that job.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 13:38   Link #1844
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Not quite. I mean, you don't control where good genes come from, Coordinators basically means choosing all the good genes and putting them into one person, but even then, the process isn't exactly perfect, which is why Kira is the "Ultimate Coordinator", because in his case, the process went PERFECTLY.

And well, good genes do develop naturally by well..err, Naturals, so while the Destiny Plan would benefit Coordinators yes, don't mean Naturals will get thrown out the window as well.

Destiny Plan is basically...well, fitting people according to their "genetic destiny". Basically means if a person's genes fit for a certain job, then that would be his job. But of course, as many people would attest to, just cause our genes said so, don't mean we wanna take that job.
Ditto. Keep in mind that genes are genes, and just because Coordinators have more of good ones, doesn't mean Naturals can't have the some of the same good genes. By choosing a "destiny" for each person, only the person's strongest genes are exploited, and as such, being a Natural as opposed to a Coordinator doesn't necessarily mean you start off inferior at what you do.

If anything, this solves the whole Natural-Coordinator conflict to a degree, which of course was Dullindal's intent anyway.
Old 2010-11-21, 15:00   Link #1845
justavisitor

Dullindal is just not evil enough...he should make million of his clone and throw the lines something like "the gene determines that I am the best ruler of this universe and I shall live/rule forever!!" Then the audience has the public enemy #1, shinn has the excuse to switch side, then the story would have been more exciting

Considering that this is not the "what if" thread, so I would stop here XD
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 15:55   Link #1846
GundamFan

Quote:
True but I never said or implied the genetic engineering process they were generally using on the coordinators was 100% prefect, the typicial results we have seen and from whay we know though due seem result in freakishly high mental and physical abilities. I'm not trying to say coordinators are prefect or anything it just seems that the typicial physical and mental capabilities of coordinators fall easily into the same level of what the top 5% of naturals are capable of doing.

Quote:
The thing is though most attributes are influenced by multiple genes and while they do occur naturally but very rarely do they equal a level where they compare to that of a typicial coordinator. Take MS pilots as an example as far as we know of only one natural posses a comparable hand eye coordination to that of a coordinator Rena Imelia. My point is even with gene manipulation your not going to get 100% match in most cases to positions since there is going to but multiple genes involved but still with the enhancements they receive as a whole coordinators tend to given an advantage in general over naturals.

Quote:
See I think it's going especially true among naturals since the eventual shake out once the plan is actauly implemented would be coordinator would have most of the higher eductation career paths locked in while the natural would left with things like retail, janitoral, or maybe some light industrial work and whether they want to or not they need to keep some naturals around since they still have fertility problems.
Old 2010-11-21, 17:08   Link #1847
monster

Let's just say this:

1 Kira Yamato is iving proof that the ultimate coordinator project is not impossible to achieve. So some time in the future, somebody may still rediscover the technology to create ultimate coordinators and perfect it to give a better success rate.

2. If they know what genes would be suitable for a desirable job, there's no stopping a parent from having their child genetically engineered to posses those specific genes.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 23:35   Link #1848
Paladinoras
Pancakes

The main issue of the Destiny Plan isn't the biasness, it's the fact that they're taking away the people's free will, which is why Kira opposed it. Or at least, I'd prefer to believe it was that rather than "HURRDURRR, BECAUSE LACUS BABY SAID SOOOO"

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 01:27   Link #1849
GundamFan

Quote:
The main issue of the Destiny Plan isn't the biasness, it's the fact that they're taking away the people's free will, which is why Kira opposed it. Or at least, I'd prefer to believe it was that rather than "HURRDURRR, BECAUSE LACUS BABY SAID SOOOO"
Well the biasness is a rather large problem with the Destiny plan but it's also the sort of thing that Lacus and Kira wouldn't have thought of either since they opposed the plan on the ethical grounds that it robs people of free will. The bias issue is more of implementation problem that would have probably required a level of acceptance of the destiny plan that they never had, before they would even think of it.
Old 2010-11-22, 09:57   Link #1850
Washu-Chan