AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-06, 14:01   Link #61
Question
Crossdresser

Not to mention the storyline cant possibly follow anything in the manga to any success. I mean, at MAXIMUM, its a three hour movie(and that was for the huge LOTR trilogy). How the hell do you go into more than a few of the girl's backstory and character development, as well as have room for plot?

Its either going to be based on the first 2 volumes of random fanservice crap plus reversed harry potter, or a totally original story(more likely). I really cant see them going into the good parts unless they do a huge series, and they dont have the budget for that since its not a huge shounen brand like Naruto or set fail for one piece.
Old 2007-07-06, 21:10   Link #62
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
Also, 50 bucks on Negi Springfield, kid teacher from wales being a japanese kid with black hair and unable to speak a single english sentence to save his life.
Well, to be fair, I can't imagine finding a 10 year-old Welsh actor who can speak fluent Japanese is an easy task.
Old 2007-07-06, 22:25   Link #63
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
They haven't mentioned a budget, they haven't released any pre-production sketches, they haven't mentioned any casting for Negi.... so far its been: look! we have a lot of girls!
Yes....Always....Always the girls first nowadays, men not important. You could have switched it around and had it be a class of 31 men and 1 girl and you'd still get her before the guys, unless....wait that would just make it a Yaoi Comedy and then you WOULD get the guys first since it would be aimed at girls.... wait I'm confused.

I thought of one other thing too. The girl playing Asuna should have to wear contacts to portray her heterochromia.

The thing that annoys me most about this is Evangeline, she's my favourite character for being so small yet so unstoppably powerful in the manga and she's instantly recognizable as the only European 10 year old Gothic Lolita character, not to mention her long flowing blonde hair (listen to me go on here ), but in the cast list its just a girl who could be anybody. It may just be the fact that's she's far and away my favourite character, but you just can't screw with the vampire loli that much and expect things to work out.
Old 2007-07-07, 08:07   Link #64
Question
Crossdresser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, to be fair, I can't imagine finding a 10 year-old Welsh actor who can speak fluent Japanese is an easy task.
You dont need to be welsh. Just any "Gaijin" looking 10 year old boy(although he needs to be able to act). Hair could be dyed, and come to think of it i dont think theres any scenes in the manga where Negi actually has to speak english except in the prologue. Thats still pretty hard though, and the elevens are partly to blame for making it highly undesirable for non-japanese to immigrate there.
Old 2007-07-08, 01:11   Link #65
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

here's an idea... film it so that you never actually see Negi onscreen. The girls talk about him, they discuss events, things happen just offscreen or at a distance, blahblah.....

Sound scary? Good... I'm not putting anything past this project for now. Show me the girls in film makeup or some production art and then I might raise my opinion
Old 2007-07-11, 16:34   Link #66
darky
I belong to Darkness

Send a message via MSN to darky
I just checked the official website and I saw the disaster !!!
who are those freaky girls they choose??!!
they didn't changed their hair color and where is Eva? there wasn't any blonde girl!!
I'm afraid they turn it to another boring live action which is suitable for kidz, BTW I saw the picture of one of the actoress and every time I saw her I laugh (she will act as kufei unfortunately)
Old 2007-07-11, 21:34   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.. I keep thinking SURELY these are just pics of the girls without film makeup and dye and stuff...... surely......

But then I look at the waifish actress chosen for Kaede and my WTF meter just shatters....
Old 2007-07-16, 14:22   Link #68
Blaze_zero
Konata-fan

I'm not sure what to think about this.
I'll probably watch some of it.
Old 2007-07-31, 15:28   Link #69
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by darky View Post
I just checked the official website and I saw the disaster !!!
who are those freaky girls they choose??!!
they didn't changed their hair color and where is Eva? there wasn't any blonde girl!!
I'm afraid they turn it to another boring live action which is suitable for kidz, BTW I saw the picture of one of the actoress and every time I saw her I laugh (she will act as kufei unfortunately)
Eva's definately there. You just missed her because she's no longer European. She magically changed herself into a Japanese girl.
Old 2007-08-04, 05:59   Link #70
Jubei_Asaemon

You guys are much more adept than I am, I honestly cannot recognize a single character with certainty
Old 2007-08-04, 14:23   Link #71
Maritime
Oceanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubei_Asaemon View Post
You guys are much more adept than I am, I honestly cannot recognize a single character with certainty
I managed to pick out one or two but the pictures I've seen thusfar have been kinda small so it's not easy.
Old 2007-09-03, 20:44   Link #72
Sakuya
*Artist

Omni has just posted some more images of Negima. Thankfully, the pictures posted before were without makeup and this time, they're all dressed up. I'm still a bit iffy on this one, I never thought it would be live drama material...
Old 2007-09-04, 05:33   Link #73
Tiberium Wolf

God. That made me sick. It's same as a man wearing sailor moon costume. *puke*
Old 2007-09-04, 05:44   Link #74
Child_of_Sierra

It airs on October but there is very little information on what path the show would take? (school drama, comedy, manga adaptation, etc.) other than the classroom sign shows 3-A

We now know about the cast and most people think the show is a goner even before it starts due to their "presentation". What about the production crew? Maybe we can glimpse some quality based on the portfolio of the staff involved?

Anyway its no more than what I expect from a live action version of such a title as Negima. Most fans outside japan may not like it but there must be some positive feedback among the japanese for them to have continued right?
Old 2007-09-04, 06:29   Link #75
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Some girls really look yeah...uhm not so female(lead girl no less), but I'd definitely would have a blast if I got a chance to go on the set. I won't watch the drama, even though I really want to see this train wreck w8ing to happen. I put in a dolla that there will be some actress changes over the course of the series. On the other can cancel before that ever happens. xD
Old 2007-09-04, 12:37   Link #76
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is going to be a total trainwreck.... but in a MST3K way.

I may have to watch it just for the "Ken A. destroys his own franchise ala George Lucas" factor.

The closeups of the classroom set are more clues that "quality" may be lacking in the production budget --- I'm interested in seeing just how bad the SFX are.... I kind of get the feeling they were consciously shooting for a cartoonish look in the classroom set.

Hmmm, Chach at least has been decorated robotically... but her facial features are a bit too round for a good match --- I suppose actress was able to pull off "robot" well enough to overcome that.

(goes to stock up on beer for the upcoming "MSTing" of the thing....)

Here's the direct links:
http://www.starchild.co.jp/special/n...rama/repo.html (classroom set.... O.o)
http://www.mainichi-msn.co.jp/entert...903/index.html (the girls and cast on stage...... draw your own conclusions)

edit: I notice Sayoko (ghost girl) still lacks white hair or red contacts...... Chach got some help there (cheesy but no worse than old Dr. Who). I can't spot Eva since they have her in school garb rather than some lolita goth dress.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-09-04 at 12:51.
Old 2007-09-04, 13:02   Link #77
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Like i said on another forum, i can see a female Negi working fine --- especially seeing her in the costume. Still that doesn't mean i'm happy with the choice, i just have a feeling it'll work.

So it airs in October. I still wonder if it'll use manga material for story, or go its own path.

Still looking forward for this, 'cause i'm a Negima fanboy who can't hate it. :3
Old 2007-09-04, 13:13   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I still quite enjoy the manga.... I *suspect* that the live-action attempt is a bid to get Negima into the "mainstream". A great many Japanese refuse to take a series seriously unless it has been done 'live-action' (Nana, Lovely*Complex, Honey&Clover, etc) since by conventional wisdom, its still a bit "odd" to watch anime after you're grown up.

My son's senior class has an exchange student this year from Japan --- she doesn't watch anime (thinks it is a bit geeky) and is quickly having to come to grips with the idea that Americans don't shun it the way "mundane" Japanese do. She does read manga, but only that which is "okay" for her age and status. It'll be an interesting year for her

A female playing Negi ... that's really no different than if you've seen any stage production of Peter Pan where they use young petite women to play the "13ish" Pan. So that isn't specifically an issue outside of all the probable mind-bending drooling over the pactio rituals

Ah well.. I had to wait several decades through half-assed attempts at the Lord of the Rings before getting one that was passable. One day perhaps we'll get a decent rendition of Negima perhaps after the Potter craze dies off and Hollywood is looking for something similar to carry on with.
Old 2007-09-04, 18:10   Link #79
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Ah well.. I had to wait several decades through half-assed attempts at the Lord of the Rings before getting one that was passable. One day perhaps we'll get a decent rendition of Negima perhaps after the Potter craze dies off and Hollywood is looking for something similar to carry on with.
For me, the original anime was almost there with being a perfect adaptation, its just at times it ended up stepping on its self, and thus failing. I still enjoyed it, and loved rewatching the series with the DVD's (it also nice having anime original ending, which turned out very enjoyable). They did nail Thousand Master perfectly, even having my favourite VA to do his voice (Takehito Koyasu), which was perfect.

I hope another studio plans to carry on adapting the manga, 'cause we both know the amount of awesome material to happen in the manga (you know i'm talking about a certain tournament. <3).

Anyway back onto the TV Drama discussion --- Takamichi still looks like a pimp, so i'm happy!

Old 2007-09-05, 17:38   Link #80
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
This is going to be a total trainwreck.... but in a MST3K way.

I may have to watch it just for the "Ken A. destroys his own franchise ala George Lucas" factor.

The closeups of the classroom set are more clues that "quality" may be lacking in the production budget --- I'm interested in seeing just how bad the SFX are.... I kind of get the feeling they were consciously shooting for a cartoonish look in the classroom set.

Hmmm, Chach at least has been decorated robotically... but her facial features are a bit too round for a good match --- I suppose actress was able to pull off "robot" well enough to overcome that.

(goes to stock up on beer for the upcoming "MSTing" of the thing....)

Here's the direct links:
http://www.starchild.co.jp/special/n...rama/repo.html (classroom set.... O.o)
http://www.mainichi-msn.co.jp/entert...903/index.html (the girls and cast on stage...... draw your own conclusions)

edit: I notice Sayoko (ghost girl) still lacks white hair or red contacts...... Chach got some help there (cheesy but no worse than old Dr. Who). I can't spot Eva since they have her in school garb rather than some lolita goth dress.
In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D, there was a guy named Vexx, not to different from you and me. Yada yada they'll send him cheesy movies, the worst they can find.....man I love that show sometimes and how it made it possible to watch the worst and most cheesy B grade movies by teaching us to make fun of them.

I really need to see what Eva looks like, will they find a petite girl to play the all-mighty vampire loli? Will she wear gothic lolita and be cocky and arrogant as hell? Will she play a large enough role? Eva is by far my favourite character in Negima, so even me giving the Live Action thing a chance for even MST3K style viewing would hinge on how they handle her.
Closed Thread