AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 24 (FINAL) Rating
Perfect 10 210 67.09%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 61 19.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 9.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 2.24%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.32%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.32%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.64%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-18, 12:48   Link #181
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthebest22 View Post
I'm assuming that pretty much everyone here watched the final episode, so I'm gonna ask this, just before the end, when the curtain goes up, and they get ready for the show, there is the Japanese Letter that states something about Lucky Star on Oct.7th . Anyone what that one is about?
That has nothing to do with Lucky Star. Rather, that "Japanese Letter" thing was a notice about the show that will be taking over Lucky Star's timeslot and when it will start.

EDIT: The ED for the final episode is actually kinda appropriate, since the original source of the song (Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer) also has a cultural festival playing a key role in the story.
Old 2007-09-18, 12:52   Link #182
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I refuse to call Shiraishi singing appropriate for anything, except a reason for making him take a long walk on a short pier.
Old 2007-09-18, 12:54   Link #183
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
That has nothing to do with Lucky Star. Rather, that "Japanese Letter" thing was a notice about the show that will be taking over Lucky Star's timeslot and when it will start.

EDIT: The ED for the final episode is actually kinda appropriate, since the original source of the song (Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer) also has a cultural festival playing a key role in the story.
Yes, and it's Rental Magica! No wonder they were referencing the crap out of it. I'm probably going to try it out in honor of Kagami.

I thought the ED was appropriate too, and a nice gem for the true, old school otas to find. Nice gesture.

Notice how right before the curtain rise Shiraishi was finally doing something central and useful in the main story. GJ Shiraishi.
Old 2007-09-18, 13:13   Link #184
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I concur that anyone who enjoyed Lucky*Star's 'character study' style and subtle humor should take a look at Azumanga Daioh if they haven't already. Its almost like trying to claim you're literate without having read Shakespeare (okay, not that bad but you do take a credibility hit otherwise ).
To be honest I've never really read Shakespeare. I've just never had the interest or motivation. Besides the impression some have given is the Shakespeare is something you're better viewing as a play or something along those lines. I'll just have to accept my position as a heretic.

As for Azumanga Daioh. I watched that long before I saw Lucky Star and found it to be rather enjoyable. On that note I've seen people compare the two shows multiple times and here is my response. I'm watching Lucky Star because it's Lucky Star. If I want Azumanga Daioh then I'll just re-watch Azumanga Daioh. Which for the record I actually did recently.

Also to be honest I've never been a major fan of the comparison game anyway. Sure if I hate show X and love show Y that means I think Y is better by default. So in a sense I can't say I never compare. However I've found excessive comparison only backfires. As it just makes it harder to enjoy the show in question. Simply because you spend less time focusing on the show and more time going "If only it was more like....." Which is not what I want to do.

In the end what truly matters is this. Lucky Star may not have parted water. It may not be the best thing since sliced bread. Yet in the end it was very enjoyable and a series I desire to own on R1. The type that deserves higher priority. In other words may not be the best (as if I could ever decide on that), but it's good enough for me.

Actually speaking of which that's another reason I'm not heavily into the comparison game. Every time I try to make something like a top ten list I end up changing my mind constantly. I can't really decide what's my favorite and such. All I can decide are things along the lines of hate, dislike, average, like, and love. As well as I guess "not interested".
Old 2007-09-18, 13:37   Link #185
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Sigh, please stop this Azudai comparison thing. As a huge Azudai fan who have the DVD in two languages and the manga in 3 languages, I must say that LS and Azudai have similar points but are ultimately two completely different shows. I admit I started watching LS because I heard it was AzuDai like, but right now, they're just not the same to me. As matter of fact, I loved and cared for LS characters more than I ever did Azudai characters (AD never almost made me cry), and frankly, I've enjoyed Yotsubato! more than AD.

Only real similarity within the show between the two are breast jokes and a gal who speaks kansai-ben (one real, the other fake).- that last sentence was a joke, please don't NOT do a scholarly analysis on it.
Old 2007-09-18, 14:35   Link #186
HandofFate

*doki doki* at the massive armpit fanservice this final episode..

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-18, 14:46   Link #187
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Good point there. That is pretty servicey. I feel a little doki doki of my own right now (kidding on the side).
Old 2007-09-18, 14:47   Link #188
Dop
Mmmm....

Well...
I rather enjoyed that. I wouldn't say it was the best series EVAH!!!!!!(sic) but it was quite fun and I can see myself buying it if/when official English-subtitled DVDs are available.

OK, it was no Azumanga Daioh but then again what is? Apart from a very loose themic similarity (i.e. they're both about a group of girls in high school) there's not really much comparison between the two. It was what it was.

It was good fun. And that's that.
Old 2007-09-18, 15:02   Link #189
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Haha... I thought you were going to show the pantsu, or rather the bloomer shot here. I guess the pits are sexy to some people...

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-09-18 at 15:31.
Old 2007-09-18, 15:11   Link #190
Claymore_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Sigh, please stop this Azudai comparison thing. As a huge Azudai fan who have the DVD in two languages and the manga in 3 languages, I must say that LS and Azudai have similar points but are ultimately two completely different shows.
I completely agree.

I love both shows, too. Despite some common points, they are deeply different so it's no use trying to see which is the "better" ...

By the way, imho LS it's a milestone in its own genre, and it will survive the test of time. It won't be forgotten in 5 years or something.
And who knows, maybe there will be a anime series that will reference LS too...
Old 2007-09-18, 15:37   Link #191
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

one good reason not to compare them is that Lucky Star has a better dance than others. Sorry Haruhi, I like Kona-chan's dance steps better.
Old 2007-09-18, 15:44   Link #192
gekko

the main reason i like LS better than AD is 'cuz i prefer the characters, esp. Kagami. But that's very subjective
Old 2007-09-18, 16:01   Link #193
Prim8
Kaichou
*Graphic Designer

*defeated sigh* it's over.
The world is over!

Ok, that was a bit dramatic.
but that's how much I love Lucky Star.
Old 2007-09-18, 16:03   Link #194
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
What does doki doki mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
one good reason not to compare them is that Lucky Star has a better dance than others. Sorry Haruhi, I like Kona-chan's dance steps better.
Agree, I like Lucky Star's dance better than Haruhi's ..

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2007-09-18, 16:13   Link #195
Seska

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
What does doki doki mean?
Well, i dunno. But if i read between the lines... translate it into *Boing* *Boing*
Old 2007-09-18, 16:17   Link #196
flashmagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska View Post
Well, i dunno. But if i read between the lines... translate it into *Boing* *Boing*
...wrong. doki doki is japanese onomatopoeia for heartbeating. so its more of *thump thump*
Old 2007-09-18, 16:24   Link #197
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Actually there is enough point to compare AzuDaioh to L*S. Know any more slice of life high school comedies based on 4koma's that are this good? If we can't compare on genre. On what can we compare anime then? I liked L*S more probably because the references where more clear for me. Though I can't really blame AzuDaioh for my lack of knowledge. The characters in L*S where better though, this probably due to AzuDaioh getting out dated. Next great Slice-of-life comedy will be when Yotsubato! gets animated. Even if it isn't high school it's a whole lot of sliceoflife loving.
Old 2007-09-18, 17:26   Link #198
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Full Dance Break-Down and Obervations

Just some Observations from the full dance that I've watched about, oh, 50 times now.

Starting Formation
10 girls form two rows:

Front: Tsukasa, Konata, Kagami, Miyuki
Back: Ayane, Patti, Yutaka, Minami, Hiroyi, Misao
  • Yutaka and Konata are in the same vertical line - no blocking
  • Kagami x Konata and Yutaka x Minami are centered
  • Fujoshis outrank non-fujoshi, unless they are part of key paring
  • 10 girls share a single bottle of Pocari Sweat

Opening Sequence
Identical to the OP, minus the hand gestures and the "Freeze" pose

Rap Sequence I
Grils split into two groups:
Kona-chan Gumi
Leader: Konata.
Sub-Leader: Tsukasa
Members: Yutaka, Patti, and Ayane
Kagamin Gumi
Leader: Kagami
Sub-leader: Miyuki
Members: Minami, Hiroyi, and Misao
Kona and Kagami's Solo OP Dance: Everyone perform the Kona-Hop, while Konata/Kagami perform the Kagami Cat-Walk.

Tsukasa and Miyuki's Solo OP Dance: 4 Members of the Kona-chan Gumi, lead by sub-leader Tsukasa, perform the Tsukasa-Tug, while Sub-leader of the Kagami Gumi Miyuki leads her group to perform the Miyuki-Twist.

DA-DA-DA-DA: The entire group opens up like a flower, in which ever member perform a gesture similar to Ota-gei "Kecha".

Girls chatting nervously while Konata Elevates Sequence
The group performs the vaunted "Pom Pom to the Twisting Ass" move after returning to starting position. Massive otaku blood loss.

Rap Sequence II
Cherry Pie Section: Performed by the Kagamin Gumi. Leader and Sub-leader knee to the floor, and the 3 lowly members extend one hand to the right while shake to the beat. Not much "movement" here since the sub-leader is on the ground. Big lost of points.

Sensation Section: Performed by the Kona-chan Gumi. Leader and Sub-leader again knee down while the three member shakes while extend hand to the left. "Movements" are observed due to efforts of member Patti. GJ! Advantage, Kona-chan Gumi.

Small Planet (Sho Wakusei) Section: Performed by the 4 main chars and the leader/sub-leader of their respective Gumi. Massive one-armed pit-displaying action. Still just shaking to the beat, but at least Miyuki is there.

Zabi Sequence I
Everyone perform the same dance as the OP. I just realized the bloomer shot was in the OP all along. Ha.
CrowKenobi-sama observed that in the long shot, Patti and Misao switched placed, but in the close-ups their order is just like the OP. These KyoAni people should o more QA!

Zabi Sequence II
This one is a little strange. Frist we see Patti, Yutaka, Minami, and Hiroyi on the back row drawing a circle with their left hand, and slowly swinging to the left, while Miyuki and Kagami waltz in from the left with the same movement but on the other hand. AND we see in the next shot, Konata, Tsukasa, Yutaka, and Patti showing us their well-shaven pits (may not be needed for some). In this section, Ayane and Misao are completely missing, while Patti is shown twice!

The Big Finale:
The girls return to the starting position to perform the "Saying 3 Piece" part, but the back row spilt into two and stand in parallel to the 4 leaders according to their Gumi affiliation.

What happens next need some thinking. I believe the 3 members of the Kona-chan Gumi performed the two "Yeahs" with their backs turned, while the 3 members of the Kagamin-Gumi did their "Yeah" facing the audience. The Yeahs were too close for them to turn around fast enough. The 4 leaders performed a variation of the OP segment.

Post Dance Pose
Then the girls are sweaty and panting and.. opps, massive otaku blood loss again.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-09-18 at 18:21.
Old 2007-09-18, 17:52   Link #199
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Just a thought; specifically about Kona-chan channeling Yuki. Was that Chihara Minori, or was it Aya-chan showing off more of her voice talents?
It was Aya-chan! Remember, she did something similar in the Haruhi Drama CD.

To wit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yT1sl8a0hQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Just some Observations from the full dance that I've watched about, oh, 50 times now.

Zabi Sequence I
Everyone perform the same dance as the OP. I just realized the bloomer shot was in the OP all along. Ha.
Don't forget Patty and Misao switching places! Long shot (back row) Ayane-Patti, Yutaka-Minami, Hiyori-Misao, then the close ups: Yutaka-Minami, Patty-Hiyori, Ayane-Misao (just like the open!).

Old 2007-09-18, 18:18   Link #200
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I really think the thing about the Haruhi dance had more to do with the fluidity of the animation than any special coolness of the moves. The L*S dance sequence is actually animated less well (especially the whole group shots) but the dance itself is a vivacious cheerleader friendly bunch of vavoom that I'd love to see my son's high school cheerleaders try I suspect it'll be quite popular at the cons for a while.