AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2011-05-05, 11:43   Link #1
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Macross Plus: "Normal Day, Strange Boy"

First, I wanna ramble a little bit about the movie itself.
Spoiler for ramble about movie & small question:

Okay, enough rambling about the movie. Let me get to the reason why I made this video.

Once again: stunning animation!!!

Okay, a day or two ago, I downloaded both series and movie to watch. Now, I'd seen trailers for the movie but NOT for the series. So I watched the movie first. Afterward, I heard this song on my playlist and it just seemed to fit. The inspiration just HIT me! Perhaps it was because of all the flight scenes and battle animation in the movie... but, oh well.

I just kept listening to this song and watching the movie and soon scenes just flew out of me. I filled in everything and timed it perfectly. The video is actually quite raw, as I only chose to use fades and flashes, for the animation did the rest itself. I TRIED not to overdo the amount of scenes used, as I know there are 50 beats alone in this song. I also cut the song.

Finally, I'm sorry if the quality got scratched up. You see, the resolution was originally 640x480 and I remuxed it to 1280x720 for YouTube so they wouldn't rape the quality. Please forgive THAT mishap.

Otherwise, this is my first NON-Frontier video. XD

Info;
【Anime】: Macross Plus (Movie)
【Couple】: Isamu/Myung
【Genre】: Action, Drama, Romance, & Spiritual
【Song】: Ordinary Day
【Artist】: Vanessa Carlton
【Program】: Sony Vegas Pro 9.0c
【DL】: Later...

ѕυммαяу;
There is actually no summary except for the fact that he wants to achieve his dream and Sharon just happens to meet him and help him obtain it.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-05-06 at 01:32.
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 11:49   Link #2
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Macross Plus OVA/Movie Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Isamu's hatred of Guld is much like Alto's hatred of Brera. And it scares me because of the fact Isamu loves Myung and apparently Alto doesn't love Ranka - so why act like that? I mean, at least Isamu had a reason: Guld hurt Myung physically. Saying that someone is suspicious (regarding Brera) does not give him the right to be AS upset as Isamu.
Isamu's hatred for Guld is NOTHING compared to Alto's hatred to Brera.

Why? Because Guld raped Myung.

Alto hates Brera because of hubris, and the latter continue to outdo him, especially during combat.

Really, give me a break, you need to stop putting Ranka into every equation, every post, especially a potential love-interest is never the only reason to incite hatred. There are plenty other reasons.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 11:55   Link #3
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Isamu's hatred for Guld is NOTHING compared to Alto's hatred to Brera.

Why? Because Guld raped Myung.

Alto hates Brera because of hubris, thats it, nothing more.

- Tak
Perhaps you could explain the storyline more. I mean, I watched the English dub but still didn't understand some of the connections between the characters. I mean, in the English dub, in their face-off, they start talking about CDs one borrowed, yadayada. Care to interpret that for me? Please?

I'm not trying to sound rude, I'm trying to sound civil.
Old 2011-05-05, 11:56   Link #4
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Until now...I still wonder what went on in Myung's head with the way she interacted with Guld..I mean, come on, if I were in her shoes, I would not go within a hundred feet of Guld, even after all those years. But hey that's just me.
Old 2011-05-05, 12:00   Link #5
Tak

Quote:
Perhaps you could explain the storyline more. I mean, I watched the English dub but still didn't understand some of the connections between the characters. I mean, in the English dub, in their face-off, they start talking about CDs one borrowed, yadayada. Care to interpret that for me? Please?

I'm not trying to sound rude, I'm trying to sound civil.
Guld hurt Myung in the past despite all of them being best friends. Guld was also aware that Myung loved Isamu much more, and he could not stand it, so he raped her.

After that incident, the three kept to themselves and did not speak of it again. Guld finally admitted his mistakes in episode 4, when he let loose his entire salvo of missiles at Isamu.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-05-05, 12:01   Link #6
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Until now...I still wonder what went on in Myung's head with the way she interacted with Guld..I mean come on, if I were in her shoes, I would not go within a hundred feet of Guld, even after all those years.
Well, in the English dub, Guld says they chose not to tell him out of sympathy. Perhaps it was because they knew about his issues with the Zentradi blood and trying to keep his anger under control - realizing that he misread the situation. I mean, the situation (before I watched the dub) looked like DYRL when Misa walked in on Minmei and Hikaru together. But he misread it just like Misa and took it to the extreme.

Quote:
Guld hurt Myung in the past despite all of them being best friends. Guld was also aware that Myung loved Isamu much more, and he could not stand it, so he raped her.

After that incident, the three kept to themselves and did not speak of it again. Guld finally admitted his mistakes in episode 4, when he let loose his entire salvo of missiles at Isamu.

- Tak
Ah, thank you.

I understood from the context of the episode that he raped her so the italics were not needed, but thanks again.

So if Guld was aware, why not punch something or fight Isamu. Guld's reaction didn't read off as anything but "I want your wife and I'll have her!" I'm trying to understand the logic from Guld's side, as Zentradi don't seem to be THAT abusive when loved ones leave them.
Old 2011-05-05, 12:03   Link #7
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

I've seen the OVA.

But. As a self-respecting woman, I sure as hell would not be friendly with a man who almost or did violate me. I would not care how he remembered it.
Old 2011-05-05, 12:08   Link #8
Tak

Quote:
So if Guld was aware, why not punch something or fight Isamu. Guld's reaction didn't read off as anything but "I want your wife and I'll have her!" I'm trying to understand the logic from Guld's side, as Zentradi don't seem to be THAT abusive when loved ones leave them.
Are ya kidding? Guld and Isamu had plenty of fistfights in the 4 episode OVA, and in the last episode, the former was trying to kill the latter!

As for Zentradis, they are naturally aggressive. Guld had to take pills constantly in order to suppress his rage.

- Tak

Old 2011-05-05, 12:13   Link #9
Tak

Quote:
I'm aware they are aggressive, but usually not towards women if they could help it. Remembering back to SDF, the only Zentradi that tried to hurt Minmei did NOT hurt her - could not - and he was the one who wanted her dead most of all.
If you seen DYRL, you wouldn't be saying this. Zentrans have no problems blowing heads off women if the latter carried a gun.

And after a few generations, you lose the culture-shock, but kept the aggressiveness.

And FYI, Guld wasn't drunk, he is just being Zentran.

Quote:
Guld walked in, assumed, and broke into a fit of rage. It was a time when both parties from both series failed to read or do something correctly. And so they forgave and pushed the memories away to protect their significant other. I'd like to think that it was because they knew Guld did not mean to harm her. Plus, maybe he was drunk?
Guld did not walk in. Isamu was the one who walked in, and he did not need an assumption. The facts were pretty clear, Guld, his best friend, just raped his girlfriend.

I find it peculiar that you are trying to defend Guld. They never forgave Guld, but rather pretend that nothing had happened. Whether Guld meant to harm her or not, the fact is, he did, and in the most brutal way.

- Tak

Old 2011-05-05, 15:07   Link #10
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Not to be a pain, BUT COULD YOU GUYS KEEP THE FREAKIN' SPOILERS OUT OF THE MUSIC VIDEOS THREAD? Pretty please, with sugar on top?

At least wrap them in spoiler tags, people.

If you don't know how, here's from the very first post in this hread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
In addition, if you are going to post a video that contains spoilerish parts, then please use properly marked spoiler tags. To add them:

Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers.
I'm loathe to follow the last suggestion, so please, would you guys kindly follow the first?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 15:16   Link #11
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Not to be a pain, BUT COULD YOU GUYS KEEP THE FREAKIN' SPOILERS OUT OF THE MUSIC VIDEOS THREAD? Pretty please, with sugar on top?

At least wrap them in spoiler tags, people.

If you don't know how, here's from the very first post in this hread:

I'm loathe to follow the last suggestion, so please, would you guys kindly follow the first?
Oh sorry, because PLUS ya know... is a 10+ year old film. I'd think everyone here seen it already.

- Tak

Old 2011-05-05, 15:19   Link #12
Thess

Quote:
Alto hates Brera because of hubris, and the latter continue to outdo him, especially during combat.
Alto hates Brera because he's competition... there can only be one Princess Sakura and gender-view confusion character!

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 15:20   Link #13
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Alto hates Brera because he's competition... there can only be one Princess Sakura and gender-view confusion character!
HAH!

- Tak

Old 2011-05-05, 15:29   Link #14
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Oh sorry, because PLUS ya know... is a 10+ year old film. I'd think everyone here seen it already.
Nevertheless, this isn't the thread for it. I, myself, have seen it (and love it) but - just like LMK, until recently - there's bound to be lots of people who haven't. Better to err on the side of caution, no?

Old 2011-05-05, 17:29   Link #15
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
He also dislikes Brera (I wouldn't go far as to say he hates him) for just being an antagonistic douche to him and the rest SMS, but outside of that its really nothing personal and not to the extent of Isamu's hatred for Guld.
Spoiler for as requested by raile:
Meanwhile Brera never hated Alto, he just didn't care about him, cause he felt he was better. As opposed to Guld.

But yeah there is virtually nothing in common with Alto, Brera and Ranka outside of Alto and Brera being pilots and Ranka being a singer, considering that there is no love triangle between them, and neither of them are interested in her romantically.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 18:46   Link #16
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Nevertheless, this isn't the thread for it. I, myself, have seen it (and love it) but - just like LMK, until recently - there's bound to be lots of people who haven't. Better to err on the side of caution, no?
All I got to say to ten year old spoilers.
Old 2011-05-05, 21:14   Link #17
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

More power to you, then.

Old 2011-05-05, 21:19   Link #18
Thess

What does Brera have to do with Guld? He's, if anything, a more popular Kaifun figure.

Guld and Isamu were best friends turned rivals. If there was somebody in Alto's life who could become his Guld... that was Michel, but it never happened.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-05-05, 23:00   Link #19
Lancel

Brera is a Kaifun, yes, though he is something of a cross with Guld as well. Kaifun didn't fly Valkyries. Brera does what Kaifun and Guld both did in the context of their respective shows, they show up and immediately challenge their respective rivals. Backstory-wise there are differences, but in characterization they have similarities, and certainly they all pretty quickly introduce themselves as The Rival. Also Guld and Brera both have memory issues, though Brera's doesn't necessarily involve Alto, even though his lack of memory may have colored his actions against Alto. Ranka is the only thing he actually feels he knows throughout most of the series, so he's understandably overprotective.
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 01:34   Link #20
Thess

That's true, but didn't Guld have some kind of inferiority complex with Isamu? Brera is always beating Alto.