AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-07, 23:07   Link #481
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

And Manabe takes it to far again and Kotoura's mom steps in
Old 2013-03-08, 05:05   Link #482
garbage

^ well it was effective wasn't it?

anyway nice episode, were back with the drma & comedy mix that the show excels in. Just like some here getting a bad vibe from the assistant detective, although that might be a red herring. Mom's date though I feel was mostly after the money, he did "greet" the "president" in that sort of way right? at least I hope that's it as i fear the other is a lot more distasteful ,cause he was looking and leaning at kotora with that smile

anyway really liked that hand at the back support by the gang...too bad Moritani isn't there too, which is also a cause for concern cause it's obvious she's trying to solve the case alone which can't be good news.
Old 2013-03-08, 07:06   Link #483
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I thought it was pretty clearly implied that Manabe was pulling the ecchi routine quite intentionally to help Kotoura. He did it to take her mind off being afraid, and to try and goad her mother into feeling protective.
It wasn't just that scene. Having Kotoura read Manabe's salacious thoughts was funny for a couple of episodes at the outset, but now, for me at least, it's become stale and repetitive. It would probably bother me less if I was watching a show which didn't have at least the pretense of being more than just a silly ecchi comedy. In that case I would have stopped watching long ago, assuming I ever started watching in the first place.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 07:42   Link #484
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
He certainly ... erm ... sacrificed himself for Kotoura, didn't he?

Looked painful....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Agreed. At least it shows that the mother still has some affection for Haruka very deep within her heart. The question is how many perverted antics will it take to get it out? Maybe the grandfather should join in to make it faster...
Old 2013-03-08, 08:37   Link #485
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I thought it was pretty clearly implied that Manabe was pulling the ecchi routine quite intentionally to help Kotoura. He did it to take her mind off being afraid, and to try and goad her mother into feeling protective.
Agreed; Though Harka's mother isn't exactly the right person to talk about bad taste in my opinion lol.
Plus she basically said that the likes of Kotoura's grandfather are bad taste lol.
It is however funny how everyone, excluding Kotoura's mother got what he did there. (especialyl Kotoura's Grandfather seemed to have gotten it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
I'm just waiting for someone to make a Falcon punch gif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post

anyway nice episode, were back with the drma & comedy mix that the show excels in. Just like some here getting a bad vibe from the assistant detective, although that might be a red herring. Mom's date though I feel was mostly after the money, he did "greet" the "president" in that sort of way right? at least I hope that's it as i fear the other is a lot more distasteful ,cause he was looking and leaning at kotora with that smile
I agree and he will be very sad to hear that there is a chance that Kotoura's mother could be, in case kotoura's grandfather died'', reduced to half of heer legal portion, or depending on interpretation and how much Japan really took from the German BGB, even everything.

-----
But yeah as the preview for this said : the final boss has appeared and...

beat the maincharacter up lol.

Another thing I observed is that some people here don't seem to know is that Kotoura san is the kind of anime that has a small portion after the ED that still belongs to the episode itself rather than the preview

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 11:19   Link #486
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Episode 09

Looks like Kotoura's mom knows a few karate moves herself. That look like it really hurt when she hit Manabe.

I have to admit though just that one scene made me feel all warm and fuzzy for Kotoura because it seems like her mother does still care about her daughter all this time.
Old 2013-03-08, 11:28   Link #487
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Looks like Kotoura's mom knows a few karate moves herself. That look like it really hurt when she hit Manabe.

I have to admit though just that one scene made me feel all warm and fuzzy for Kotoura because it seems like her mother does still care about her daughter all this time.
That was exactly what Manabe was trying to prove to Kotoura, though it's going to take a hell of a lot more than that to make me feel anything but contempt for Kumiko.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 18:10   Link #488
HandofFate

I like the character design of the mother, especially those tired eyes.
Old 2013-03-08, 20:30   Link #489
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Of course Grandpa would yell at Manabe for not doing it. Liked how he then took them to a real restaurant. As usual Kotoura's mother is horrible, though it was surprising to see her act protective of Kotoura from Manabe. He really did a good job of cheering her up.
Old 2013-03-08, 20:41   Link #490
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post

Mom's date though I feel was mostly after the money, he did "greet" the "president" in that sort of way right? at least I hope that's it as i fear the other is a lot more distasteful ,cause he was looking and leaning at kotora with that smile
Yea seems the dude may have some perverted thoughts swirling in his head and not the same harmless fun kind like Manabe either. I can see him being into Kumiko for her money and just seeing Kotoura as a possible "bonus" in the back of his mind.

Once again MANabe to the rescue some people here may call his character repetitive but I'd just say he's comfortable being who he is and theres no shame in that!

Also it seems Moritani has bitten off more then she can chew this time. Looks likes she's getting the blame for for the attacks and now someone (namely Kotoura) will have to clear her name!
Old 2013-03-08, 21:01   Link #491
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Even though the father didn't disinherit the daughter, if his will says 100% goes to Kotoura, she still can't fight it. It might make some interesting court battle but meh, especially with how she neglected her daughter for 10 years, I don't think it works well in her favour.
Old 2013-03-09, 07:07   Link #492
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
Even though the father didn't disinherit the daughter, if his will says 100% goes to Kotoura, she still can't fight it. It might make some interesting court battle but meh, especially with how she neglected her daughter for 10 years, I don't think it works well in her favour.
It really depends on how much Japan used the German BGB as example for their own civil law(yes they did that);
Since German and Austrian law are similar I assume that Japanese and Austrian law have to be somewhat similar too. So no guarantee for this being right:

<austrian law lecture start>
Kumiko has a right to her legal Porion, as long as she was not disinherited (Which has some requirements) or is, ex lege, considered unworthy to inherit.

One of these requirements is deliberately abandoning the bequeather. Note - the bequeather, whether she abandoned her child is not really relevant for this.

To make it relevant you'd have to argument out that letting her Grandfather taking care of Kotoura all by himself is deliberate abadonment.
Which could proof hard in court since he said that he never wanted to see her again.

if this is not the case you'd have to go through disinheritage with the argument of negligient abandonment.

<end austrian law lecture> :P

So depending on how similar the 3 laws really are she probably still has a right to get her legal portion which would, depending on the oilwell alone, probably be still a big sum.
Which is why the above might not even hold, as one could question his need for her assitance with raisng Kotoura due to his fortune.
Also note that I'm still a student so no guarantee for 100% accuracy :P

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2013-03-09, 14:34   Link #493
SQA

Looking around the interwebs a bit on Japanese Inheritance Law, a few quick points:

1) That some freaking nasty taxes and add up fast
2) Kotoura's family's tax bill would be nutty
3) Kotoura herself is probably registered as a "daughter" and is a primary inheritor.
4) It'd be a 50/50 split between Kotoura and her Mother, less the massive taxes.

So, gold digging is a very real possibility.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 16:22   Link #494
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
Looking around the interwebs a bit on Japanese Inheritance Law, a few quick points:

1) That some freaking nasty taxes and add up fast
2) Kotoura's family's tax bill would be nutty
3) Kotoura herself is probably registered as a "daughter" and is a primary inheritor.
4) It'd be a 50/50 split between Kotoura and her Mother, less the massive taxes.

So, gold digging is a very real possibility.
Could you pls post the source for that 50:50 between daugther and granddaugther seems a bit odd to me.
Or are you assuming that he adopted Kotoura and became her legal father? Then 50:50 (due to tax 25:25) would actually make sense.

And yes that tax would probably fall under the 50% rule, already lol - just looked through it on a site about kollision law really quick though.

Edit: Googled a bit and apparently Kotoura would get, as I feared, nothing:

(1) Where there is no surviving spouse
A child of the decedent is a first-ranking heir (Article 887(1), Civil Code). Where there are two or more children, they become joint heirs (Article 898, Civil Code). Where a child of the decedent dies, is disinherited or becomes disqualified to succeed before commencement of a succession (before the death of decedent), his or her lineal descendants succeed in his or her place (Article 887(2)(3), Civil Code).

Source: http://www.japaneseyworld.com/2012/0...-of-heirs.html
Edit 03-11-13: Link seems to point to an empty page work try the search box and use 'rank' or 'rank of sucession' as keywords)

Except of course she is registered as a 'daugther' then she'd be first ranked even without a last will.
If we would really want it accurate we'd need a japanese lawyer though lol.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2013-03-10 at 19:39.
Old 2013-03-09, 16:58   Link #495
SQA

I used 2 sources from poking around:
http://tokyo.angloinfo.com/informati...heritance-law/
http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthrea...e-Law-in-Japan
http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/A...an/Inheritance

Most of the resources in English are for foreign holdings stuff, but the first link seems to cover most of what we'd be looking for without being too detailed. (The 3rd is WAY detailed)

Kotoura being registered as a daughter goes with the forum post and fits with what I've read of provable lineage issues. You "register" a child, effectively, for a family. I imagine it's abused more for tax purposes now, but it is an important part of Japanese history: military, cultural and political. (It makes the Sengoku era really weird when you're first reading about it)

The issue with removing Kumiko isn't something I've seen yet. Though a Will can apparently supercede these normal laws, so it's hard to say. I doubt she's been completely written out, and she might have an outright claim to her share via court anyway.

I think it's safe to say Kumiko would get a significant portion of the estate unless by some means she was specifically "disowned". I don't think her father has gone that far.
Old 2013-03-09, 17:09   Link #496
Haiprbim
Banned

The last few minutes of the episode revealed so much of what we are about to see.
From the mom actually not being a pure-hatred person to Kotoura and a good ending between them to be seen (my speculation), all the way to the thing that we will probably focus on before that - Mori with bloody hands next to another attacked High School girl.
Interesting!
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 17:55   Link #497
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
I used 2 sources from poking around:
http://tokyo.angloinfo.com/informati...heritance-law/
http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthrea...e-Law-in-Japan
http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/A...an/Inheritance

Most of the resources in English are for foreign holdings stuff, but the first link seems to cover most of what we'd be looking for without being too detailed. (The 3rd is WAY detailed)
Only read the third and the one in my edit, but yeah if Haruka is not registered as a daugther (adopted) she'd only get her part without a last will if Kumiko would not be able to.(for whatever reason)

Quote:
Kotoura being registered as a daughter goes with the forum post and fits with what I've read of provable lineage issues. You "register" a child, effectively, for a family. I imagine it's abused more for tax purposes now, but it is an important part of Japanese history: military, cultural and political. (It makes the Sengoku era really weird when you're first reading about it)
If she is adopted she'd be his daugther from a legal PoV and therefore being in the first rank together with Kumiko.

Quote:
The issue with removing Kumiko isn't something I've seen yet. Though a Will can apparently supercede these normal laws, so it's hard to say. I doubt she's been completely written out, and she might have an outright claim to her share via court anyway.
I think it's safe to say Kumiko would get a significant portion of the estate unless by some means she was specifically "disowned". I don't think her father has gone that far.
Yeah, considering again that the laws are similar some laws are alianable and others are not. Legal portions are an example for the latter.
There is also a difference between her share as a legal sucessor and the legal portion.
Legal portion is the part she would even get if he wrote 'I bequeath my entire estate to my granddaugther Haruka) Kumiko would still get that part (probably 1/2 of what she'd get if there was no will at all) So a minimum amount she has to get.
The 50:50 if Haruka is considered a dauther is probably taken from the legal order of sucession if there is no last will.

If you want to have Haruka as sole heir you would need to take that legal portion off Kumiko too.
2 possibilities:

- Disinheritage (ordered in the will)
- disqualification (automatically)

From the Link I posted it appears as Japanese law has disqualification too, I'm unsure if abandonment is included though.

Again no guarantees as assumed on similarities
I got way off topic with this sorry but I felt it was needed after peopel started to talk about wills
Though considering the drama in this anime this might actually become a topic oO

Old 2013-03-09, 18:29   Link #498
Solafighter
Hige

Rewatch the first episode and you will not think as bad of her mother, as you might do, watching episode 10. As many people might have posted(sry, that I didn't read all posts, yet, job keeps me moving) but Kotoura's mother is not as bad, as she radiates on the recent episodes. Have faith and you will see, that she still loves her little angel.
At least, this is, what I think.
Old 2013-03-09, 19:17   Link #499
SQA

@AC:

I note you have Phoenix Wright as your avatar. Probably fitting you brought this up, haha.

I think it's safe to say that Kumiko is up for a significant portion of the estate, so she's in line to inherit a large sum of money (less a pretty massive amount of tax). However, she seems to be still living pretty well and Haruka has been tell taken care of, so I imagine the Japanese near lack of a "gift tax" is the major effector at the moment. Grandpa can transfer a large amount of money towards them that avoids the taxes.

I also think its a pretty safe bet that Haruka is registered as a daughter, especially given the extended period of time she's lived with her grandfather. Or, even if she isn't, she's set well in the Will. But we'd need someone familiar with the Japanese laws and how they'd normally work out to get a better idea of some of the details. It's a little hard crossing language barriers like that.

I also find it amazing we just had several posts on Japanese Inheritance Laws.
Old 2013-03-10, 19:05   Link #500
kitten320

The best part of an episode for me was when Koutora's mother stepped in. She will never be able to completely redeem herself but that scene shows that despite all the hate she still loves her daughter to an extend what is understandable since before all disasters happened she really did love her.

It is impossible to fully hate someone when you used to love them just as much in the past.

Tags
4-koma, drama, romantic comedy, school life, seinen, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy