AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Old 2007-05-24, 22:48   Link #41
eeveekowk

Neither raw nor dvdiso has been come out.waitting...
eeveekowk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 13:11   Link #42
BluWacky
尻の竜

The OVA's pretty good, I reckon - it's a "reboot" like the Esca movie rather than a continuation, and there's no Aquaricrack, but despite the different tone it's well made and enjoyable.

The CG-animated Polygon Silvia extra where she professes her undying love for Toma and faces competition from her 2D counterpart and an uber-realistic version of herself is... odd.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 13:15   Link #43
wao
OK.

What you say?! There's no Aquaricrack? Aw come on...

Now I've lost a reason for watching it, I've been really looking forward for more new Aquaricrack and while the promo materials didn't seem to suggest it I was hoping there'd be some. I could do with some Aquaricrack these days...

I wonder how much Satelight blew on this series though, and whether it has anything at all to do with how their recent 2D TV animations have.... left much to be desired (probably doesn't have anything to do with it, I guess...)
Old 2007-05-30, 15:30   Link #44
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
So, what, the OVA is serious straight-laced Great Robot style mecha? With MANLYNESS and ANGST?

Booo....
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 15:51   Link #45
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
So, what, the OVA is serious straight-laced Great Robot style mecha? With MANLYNESS and ANGST?
Well, no. It's not suddenly turned into GaoGaiGar or anything. It's more like Macross Zero in tone and construction, although without the massive amounts of environmental stuff (although there is a little!). There is a bit of manly screaming, but it's not even particularly overblown or anything now; it's just...serious.

The more I think about Wings of Betrayal (incidentally, the OVA series should really just be called Aquarion - there's a different "sou" kanji in "sousei" which obviously doesn't translate well to English, and the second episode will be called Wings of Glory) the more I like it, actually. It's more like what I expected Aquarion to be when it first started airing; Apollo, for example, isn't really that different a character, but his traits are made to fit in better with the tone of the show. I'm going to have to go into spoilers to really talk about the OVA to try and get across what I mean and how it affects the tone of the show...

Spoiler:

Perhaps I'm being blinded by my love for all things Kawamori, but I do think it's worth giving the OVA a shot even without the spazz. it's not the same, sure, but I do think it's an interesting take on the Aquarion story and it's far from being a trainwreck.
Old 2007-05-30, 17:10   Link #46
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

No Aquaricrack?!? If I don't get a gatai with "IKUUUU!!" I'm going to be very disappointed. The Aquaricrack is the whole point of watching Aqurian instead of one of those serious mecha shows.

Though looking at that synopsis it is still a satire of giant robot shows, just a different sort of satire. Maybe we'll have an entirely different sort of Aquaricrack.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 23:19   Link #47
eeveekowk

eeveekowk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 00:27   Link #48
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
I still really want to watch it. Silvia.... is still paired up with Apollo right?
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 01:52   Link #49
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post

Booo....
The terms Manlyness and angst should not be used within the same paragraph as each other unless they are meant to evoke a contrast.

An what in gods name is Aquaricrack?!
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 02:18   Link #50
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
An what in gods name is Aquaricrack?!
I've never heard the term before wao used it a few posts ago, but it seemed obvious to me. Just think about what the original series was like and you should get the idea.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-05-31 at 03:51.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 03:14   Link #51
wao
OK.

Eh? I used it first? No, I picked up the term from what BluWacky said... but either way, Kaioshin_Sama must as usual be watching a completely different anime from what I've seen. Aquarion is not Aquarion without hte crack, the way I see it.
Old 2007-05-31, 03:33   Link #52
kujoe
from head to heel

Yeah, but BluWacky's synopsis actually sounds interesting. It's silly when it's silly, but if it's meant to be a toned down, serious reimagining of the story, I'd rather have it stay that way than for it to go the crack route.

Of course, this sentiment is from a person—that would be me—who actually likes the Escaflowne movie more than the series overall (but not by much).
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 05:21   Link #53
KBTKaiser

no worries, Nosanninwa, there's a good dosage of one aquaricrack scene. XD
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 10:00   Link #54
Flame-X
Anti-fan

so... is this a sequel or a spinoff?
Old 2007-05-31, 10:30   Link #55
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Alternative retelling.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 05:38   Link #56
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Wow. I am horribly confused after watching episode 1. Perhaps it's becuase it's 3:37 in the morning right now... but still.

I can't figure out who is really who. I guess I won't know for certain until second episode.
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 12:10   Link #57
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori View Post
Wow. I am horribly confused after watching episode 1. Perhaps it's becuase it's 3:37 in the morning right now... but still.

I can't figure out who is really who. I guess I won't know for certain until second episode.
I'm fairly sure it's a red herring that the show is suggesting Silvia is Scorpius. Having Reika cry out in the preview for ep. 2 "Silvia is Scorpius!" is a bit too obvious for my liking.

Incidentally, there's a sub out now; I don't THINK the Aquarion OVAs are licensed (Funimation's website only lists "the 26 episode television series") but it's an MFI property so no listing here.
Old 2007-06-03, 04:30   Link #58
xizro345
King's Justice

I really, really didn't like it, mostly because I wanted resolution from the plotholes in the series (not to mention the horrible ending), and instead there's a retelling, bah.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 21:29   Link #59
shuin0120
Enpatsu no Christmas Eve

Send a message via Yahoo to shuin0120
confuse ^^

can i ask some noobie question here?

all i know is silvia is celiane's reincarnation
apollo is apollonius reincarnation
and reika is reincarnation of scorpius?

now i was confusing bcoz when reika and apollo had fight in forest she saw the image of apollonius and celiane where fighting (i think she think she was celiane) and when she saw her back she found silvia was watching on their fight, and a vision of scorpius.

now, go to the preview of next ova, someone said that scorpius was silvia?! i think i confused out my head but someone help me to clear it up^^
shuin0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 02:18   Link #60
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuin0120 View Post
now i was confusing bcoz when reika and apollo had fight in forest she saw the image of apollonius and celiane where fighting (i think she think she was celiane) and when she saw her back she found silvia was watching on their fight, and a vision of scorpius.

now, go to the preview of next ova, someone said that scorpius was silvia?! i think i confused out my head but someone help me to clear it up^^
It's deliberately confusing. They're trying to second-guess us - the obvious conclusion is that Celiane is Silvia etc. because they look the same and that's how it worked in the TV series, but the flashbacks are suggesting that Silvia is, in fact, Scorpius. We'll have to wait until Wings of Glory comes out before we know for sure.