*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
drum&bass, very good music genre
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 20:14   Link #3542
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Hmm... I suppose I'll just search for random Drum n Bass stuff. :P

I had a few similar tracks already like this one, Dieselboy - White: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8-4dqK3hwI

It's just that I never knew what it exactly was... I was searching a few videos on youtube and reading comments and there's always a huge argument of what genre or sub-genre it is (breakcore/speedcore/jungle/etcetc...). I just hoped there was a specific name for the style in the video I posted. Sometimes some songs sound too 'dark'... that one felt more upbeat to me. :P

Thanks anyway. ^^
Old 2010-03-10, 01:12   Link #3543
Zero no gokuto

HOw do I set my profile pic ^_^ , I have not the slightest idea how plz help if u can
Zero no gokuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 01:45   Link #3544
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

User CP > Edit Profile Picture

Simpler :

Step 1

Spoiler:

Step 2

Spoiler:
Old 2010-03-10, 04:27   Link #3545
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Zero no gokuto, if you meant "How do you set my Avatar." (ie. the 100x100 image visible on the forum near your posts) follow step 1 above and in step two go instead to the 1st option in the 3rd group.
Old 2010-03-11, 03:33   Link #3546
Zero no gokuto

I did it

Ty for the help I was able to set my Profile pic and avatar aswell. Thnx for the help =)
Zero no gokuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 06:04   Link #3547
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero no gokuto View Post
Ty for the help I was able to set my Profile pic and avatar aswell. Thnx for the help =)
Not really an answer. But if you want a specific avatar or anime. You can ask the:
- Anime Signature Request Thread
- Anime Avatar Request Thread

Remember to read first post for requirement through. People there are often really friendly ^^
Old 2010-03-11, 07:14   Link #3548
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
No clinical trials seem to suggest that it does...though it may have some placebo power. Strap a convincing enough magnet onto someone who doesn't know any better and they'll think it must work.
Any extended clinical trials with above 1,000 gauss and more than 3 months? Magnetic therapy has effects but a VERY microscopic level, which means for an effect on the body, it must be done on an extended basis over long periods of time.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 16:24   Link #3549
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Any extended clinical trials with above 1,000 gauss and more than 3 months? Magnetic therapy has effects but a VERY microscopic level, which means for an effect on the body, it must be done on an extended basis over long periods of time.
There is no evidence whatsoever from refutable scientific sources that it actually works. The magnets are far too weak to have any effect and even if they did work, the effect wouldn't last.
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 08:11   Link #3550
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
There is no evidence whatsoever from refutable scientific sources that it actually works. The magnets are far too weak to have any effect and even if they did work, the effect wouldn't last.
What about passive therapy? C'mon gimme some science! I had enough of journalists just off quoting shit on google with no logic, maths or concepts!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-03-12, 16:25   Link #3551
Skane
Anime Snark

Question

Does anybody know where this originally came from?

Cheers.
Old 2010-03-12, 19:02   Link #3552
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Does anybody know where this originally came from?

Cheers.
The movie Wanted, i think
Old 2010-03-13, 07:46   Link #3553
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
What about passive therapy? C'mon gimme some science! I had enough of journalists just off quoting shit on google with no logic, maths or concepts!
Technically, it's your job to prove you're right. I challenge you to prove you're right, so it's up to you to provide the evidence.

But since you seem to play by logic, I can do that too.

From what I understand, it supposedly works by influencing the hemoglobin in your blood (since it contains iron). But what evidence is there that, even if there is an effect, it's permanent, as I'd assume would be desirable? With magnets, the problem is that the effect goes way if you remove the magnet. You'd have to keep those magnets strapped onto you 24/7 if it indeed has any effect on you.

Also, you'd need quite a powerful magnet to get the job done. We're talking something in strengths of MRI magnets here, the ones that can pull your keychain of your pants from several meters away. You'd think that anyone working with such a powerful magnet would be influenced by it, yet I haven't heard any stories about people like that having any serious side-effects from working in such an environment.

No, if there is any effect from this, it's merely because people think there is, just like most other alternative therapies, IOW, it's a placebo-effect.
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 08:55   Link #3554
LynnieS

Quote:
One big issue with the pure research side in the U.S., IMHO, is with the whole grant funding process. A researcher has to apply for funding for his project with some agency like the NSF with a plan outlining the steps and etc. that he will follow, and if approved, the research starts. On the plus side, a researcher does not have to work for a research firm to get funding, but on the minus side, he also risk alienating his peers with ideas that are too outrageous, which odds are, will mean no funding. Research and presenting the results in papers for publication are the bread-and-butter for these guys, so unless you are independently wealthy, the chances of your doing your own work aren't too high.

The whole magnetic therapy work seems a bit fuzzy, IMHO, and like Lord of Fire, it's more consistent with a placebo effect than something more concrete. Aside from the hemoglobin in blood, I'm wondering if the magnetic field could have an effect on a person's bioelectric field, but the magnet(s) would likely have to be stronger than the ones sold to consumers over the counter. Perhaps an extension of this study could be possible (depending on the initial study's outcome), but using a machine to generate such an electric field is much better than strapping magnets to people.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 10:52   Link #3555
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Technically, it's your job to prove you're right. I challenge you to prove you're right, so it's up to you to provide the evidence.

But since you seem to play by logic, I can do that too.

From what I understand, it supposedly works by influencing the hemoglobin in your blood (since it contains iron). But what evidence is there that, even if there is an effect, it's permanent, as I'd assume would be desirable? With magnets, the problem is that the effect goes way if you remove the magnet. You'd have to keep those magnets strapped onto you 24/7 if it indeed has any effect on you.

Also, you'd need quite a powerful magnet to get the job done. We're talking something in strengths of MRI magnets here, the ones that can pull your keychain of your pants from several meters away. You'd think that anyone working with such a powerful magnet would be influenced by it, yet I haven't heard any stories about people like that having any serious side-effects from working in such an environment.

No, if there is any effect from this, it's merely because people think there is, just like most other alternative therapies, IOW, it's a placebo-effect.
MRI works by activating the magnetic dipole in hydrogen atoms through their spin properties. The ground and excited spin speeds is what causes the images on the MRI to show up. Since almost all the protons present in the hydrogen atoms in the brain have to resonate in order to have a clear image, a ridiculously overpowered magnetic field has to be used as compared to one needed to ease blood circulation/heal wounds at a certain area of the body.

Besides, the magnetic fields are localised on the MRI scan, and the staff vacate the room, leaving only the patient when the scan starts, then entering again when it stops, so how can the staff can be affected?

To clarify things further, I am talking about magnetic beds and pillows that are said to "promote blood circulation by causing the red blood cells to spin and repel each other, thus separating the cells and smooth the flow of blood". There HAVE been cases of patients recovering due to magnetic therapy and getting their sleep on magnetic beds and pillows, but it sounds so surreal because the science behind it sounds rather implausible.

"Medical magnets" are rated at above 500 gauss, and "magnetic pillows" are made with neodynium magnets at around 1000 gauss, which translates to 0.75 teslas. If twice its strength can pinch skin, then half of it should theoretically have an effect on the blood vessels beneath the skin unless there is another electric or magnetic field to apply a strong enough opposing force to subdue it.

The reason why I asked this question is because recently a relative was off cancer pills after another relative bought him a magnetic bed for half a year. He has been taking them for 5 years, and nope, he was a strong disbeliever in alternative medicine like acupuncture and magnetic therapy, so psychological healing is out.

P.S Of course, magnetised water is pure bullshit. The protons are realigned once it enters your body due to ion release when it mixes with saliva.

Old 2010-03-13, 16:49   Link #3556
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Since you seemed convinced...rather than searching for studies which would take forever, I went to the discussion page for Wikipidea.

I cut out a relevant part from a poster who seemed to be knowledgable on the subject, but others also wrote a lot defending it's efficacy w/ sources, so if you want to find out more go to this page.

Quote:
Turns out there are several new and existing research studies that now prove static magnetic fields (from permanent magnets) affect blood microcirculation (this is circulation in capillaries, not larger blood vessels).

Past research stated that magnetic fields do not affect iron in haemoglobin - and this remains true. However, evidence now points to static magnetic fields having a localized effect on Ca2+ ion channels, which act as a messenger system for the smooth muscle walls of capillaries. This relaxes and constricts capillary walls - increasing or decreasing blood flow respectively.

I've full research citation available for several such studies and experiments - including journal listings and PubMed IDs.
Turns out you were right. You'll have to search for that study to find out what exactly the mechanism of action of this 'localized effect on ion channels' is, but it certainly exists.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 00:47   Link #3557
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
Since you seemed convinced...rather than searching for studies which would take forever, I went to the discussion page for Wikipidea.

I cut out a relevant part from a poster who seemed to be knowledgable on the subject, but others also wrote a lot defending it's efficacy w/ sources, so if you want to find out more go to this page.

Turns out you were right. You'll have to search for that study to find out what exactly the mechanism of action of this 'localized effect on ion channels' is, but it certainly exists.
I am not convinced that it works for everyone. And I have lots of doubts about the science behind it, especially when I have never studied biology beyond the midschool level.

But thanks for the link. It should only be right that :

Quote:
Whether intentional or not, it is plain to see there is heavy bias in the way this article is written. This article should be adjusted to show magnet therapy as UNPROVEN, not DISPROVEN.

Old 2010-03-14, 21:30   Link #3558
TsumeBlue
Silver-Eyed Slayer

Um...How....how do you post a poll? I don't see the button or the options for it when I try to post a thread.
TsumeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 22:00   Link #3559
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsumeBlue View Post
Um...How....how do you post a poll? I don't see the button or the options for it when I try to post a thread.
The option is at the bottom. The last one of the Additional Options block.
Old 2010-03-16, 07:01   Link #3560
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Question: Ok, first, please look at this picture....

Spoiler for Size:

Then please tell me....
a) is it real? I suspect it to be fake as how her foots obstruct the traffic
b) if it is real, then how does it make sense for someone to use X millions dollars just to build a loli statue over the train line. Local government's "tourism promotion" program? Random mindset billionaires?

Tags
problem, q&a, serious