AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-19, 14:53   Link #181
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Can we verify if the show is still cancelled? If so, then we know the information can't be true.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-11-19, 16:48   Link #182
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, the source that it *might* be cancelled appears to be the same source that said that Ken personally paid to keep it 'on the air'. I find no other sources and I'm trying to remember if I've *ever* seen a show canceled mid-season in Japan ... typically a show just doesn't get renewed -- cancellation is just so harsh ya know The only "cancellation" example is Kodomo ni Jikan and those were pre-emptive removals -- and some stations are still airing it anyway.

I've been all over the network listings and it seems that the show is continuing as usual. I've found no press releases either at the live-action website or on the network website. The show isn't doing that much worse in the ratings than other shows in that time of night.

Maybe we need to bring in one of our actual japanese resident posters to do a little research. I'm tapped out here --- no verification of any of the rumors about tanking, canceling, or anything else.

I did watch episode six since it involved Mana .... somewhat painful but people who've not read the manga or seen the anime(s) wouldn't know the difference and hell I've seen worse on American prime time.
Old 2007-11-19, 23:18   Link #183
endou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I did watch episode six since it involved Mana .... somewhat painful but people who've not read the manga or seen the anime(s) wouldn't know the difference and hell I've seen worse on American prime time.
Really? what show? I mean yeah there have been lots of bad american TV shows, but I don't remember any having acting this bad. They could have put a cardboard cut out in place of Negi and it would work better. Oh well I still love it because of how bad it is lol.
Old 2007-11-20, 02:14   Link #184
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If I were being mean, I'd just toss the entire program listing for broadcast tv in the US at you. But outside of PBS, recent terrible writing and acting could be seen on shows like any of the Law&Orders, the CSI clones, Missing, Two&aHalfMen, Moonlight, Bionic Woman, etc. It included minutes of each character just being a platform for exposition of trendy current points of view on controversial topics ... or just lame dialog delivered lamely or seriously dumbed down.

I agree the acting is pretty bad but then take a look at some of the other doramas and you'll see why I called it 'not terrible comparatively'. I think the *only* live-action renditions of manga/anime I've seen so far I was okay with was Honey&Clover and Love*Complex.
Old 2007-11-20, 16:49   Link #185
endou

Ah fair enough. I haven't been watching US TV much in the last 2 years or so. House is really the only thing I watch and I'm going to guess that's why my view of reality on good writing/acting is skewed.

And yeah Negima isn't bad compared to some other dramas, but it sure is in the running for top spot in my book.
Old 2007-11-20, 18:54   Link #186
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, I watch House for actual occasional witty dialog .... and NCIS is my guilty pleasure (play the Abby's Onscreen drinking game ).
Old 2007-11-22, 01:33   Link #187
Asrialys

Spoiler for Episode 7:
Old 2007-11-26, 13:16   Link #188
Mad Dog
Banned

Sorry it's taken me a while to respond to this.

Anyway the pressrelease was only on the T.V. Tokyo corp. site in their news section. They don't allow for direct linking to their website due to coperate security reasons. You can see the report there. Anyway rates for the show are down another 30.5% from episode 5 to episode 7.
Old 2007-11-26, 15:24   Link #189
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

You know... when you are claiming such numbers, I'm wondering if it isn't "at least" possible to quote the original announcement etc (I don't care if it is in japanese, as we can have some nice fellow members who can translate these).
I found it amusing that you are not giving any solid source from the very beginning and it is quite dubious, to say the least. I let you the benefit of doubt, but I think people (at least me) will discard your claim until you give black-on-white proofs (and i will be blunt, the "no direct link" is nowher enear of convincing).

That said, the audience of this LA isn't exactly that important.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2007-11-26 at 15:35.
Old 2007-11-26, 15:46   Link #190
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
If I were being mean, I'd just toss the entire program listing for broadcast tv in the US at you. But outside of PBS, recent terrible writing and acting could be seen on shows like any of the Law&Orders, the CSI clones, Missing, Two&aHalfMen, Moonlight, Bionic Woman, etc. It included minutes of each character just being a platform for exposition of trendy current points of view on controversial topics ... or just lame dialog delivered lamely or seriously dumbed down.

I agree the acting is pretty bad but then take a look at some of the other doramas and you'll see why I called it 'not terrible comparatively'. I think the *only* live-action renditions of manga/anime I've seen so far I was okay with was Honey&Clover and Love*Complex.
Not to mention every episode of Two & A Half Men I've seen has taken the "Gay Guy Misunderstanding" approach. I'm so tired of this one.

Also should you actually happen to be a good show like Jericho then it takes a Herculean effort to keep it on the air. That's one thing I like about Japanese, normally they don't cancel things prematurely like FOX.

Though, I have yet to see any Japanese Live Action with good acting, and I've taken picks from Sailor Moon (brutal), Sentai (cheesy with a hint of charm), Tokusatsu (same as Sentai) and some horror flicks (Lot's of screaming and people looking way to confused). All of them came across as featuring overacting and cheesy writing. I'm sure there's something out there that is compelling, but I if there is I haven't seen it yet.
Old 2007-11-26, 16:20   Link #191
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Live-action doramas and such really deserve their own subforum... but they're quite often awful by any standards (kind of like Spanish soaps). I think the only live-action conversions I can think of that were actually pretty decent that I've seen have been:
1) Great Teacher Onizuka
2) Lovely*Complex (and even that I had to take with a big dose of sugar)
3) Honey & Clover
4) Nana

That says more about the few that I've seen than much else. Note that none of them have 'fantastical elements' about them other than plot hyperbole.

There are some amazing japanese films that were never anime/manga -- but that's a whole different topic.
Old 2007-11-26, 23:32   Link #192
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Live-action doramas and such really deserve their own subforum... but they're quite often awful by any standards (kind of like Spanish soaps). I think the only live-action conversions I can think of that were actually pretty decent that I've seen have been:
1) Great Teacher Onizuka
3) Honey & Clover
4) Nana

That says more about the few that I've seen than much else. Note that none of them have 'fantastical elements' about them other than plot hyperbole.

There are some amazing japanese films that were never anime/manga -- but that's a whole different topic.
Best part of GTO was Canada Land and when Onizuka suplexed the one guy. I was howling during that part when they showed it at a University club.
Old 2007-11-30, 00:26   Link #193
Omniscient

omg...Episode 09 had Baka Rangers. I laughed so hard at the opening because it was so ridiculous.
Old 2007-11-30, 00:31   Link #194
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
omg...Episode 09 had Baka Rangers. I laughed so hard at the opening because it was so ridiculous.
I don't think I'll see toku special effects that cheap anywhere ever again.
Old 2007-12-02, 03:32   Link #195
-MotokoAoyama-
*Artist

Yeah, the Baka Rangers sequence was hilarious.
Honestly, although I liked the manga much better, I'm getting used to the live action and is starting to enjoy it a bit more. While I still curse the patch that is Kon and those pretty poorly done magic effects, there have been some good moments in the show. I actually enjoyed (and laughed my way though) Asuna and Ayaka's little quarrel in episode 2.
I don't think the drama is being cancelled, as there is still a "next episode" preview up on the tv tokyo website along with the air date. Apparently, episode ten would be aired on the 10th. Haha...if I have the time, I might check this one out
Old 2007-12-02, 10:04   Link #196
Asrialys

Still haven't watched episode 9. But anyone else see Haruna sleeping with a volume of Love Hina beside her before the library scene near the end of episode 8? And what's with Asuna and her legs?
Old 2007-12-02, 21:21   Link #197
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Quote:
1) Great Teacher Onizuka
3) Honey & Clover
4) Nana

How does YUA! Live Action rate?

It seems to me that the bad LA series are those who depends on SFX which depends on budgets which the series usually doesn't have. While more standard dramas that are less dependent on SFX tend to fare better.

While I doubt Negima LA is canceled, it wouldn't surprise me if it eventually was. 30+ actors and actresses + SFX cannot be cheap to make.
Old 2007-12-03, 00:02   Link #198
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Looking over japanese programming....its just *very* unusual to actually cancel a program series. If they cancel it, then they have to find something to take its place for the remainder of the season. A 13 week season is really a bit short to even worry about such stuff and a cancellation really is contrary to the japanese sensibilities (avoid direct confrontation). Its just not a likely event unless something really shoots off from left field (like the news story on the axe murder that gave some stations cold feet about showing the climax episode of a certain anime... so they delayed it).
Old 2007-12-03, 01:03   Link #199
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

It is very likely that the information about Negima having been cancelled was a complete fabrication. Nothing about the subject was every posted anywhere else. We (the moderators) asked the poster of this information if he could point us to a source and in the end he could not.

It was merely a rumor that one individual attempt to start. Don't worry about it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-12-18, 13:46   Link #200
Asrialys

Anyone still watching this? lol

Spoiler for Episode 11 + PICS: