AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-10-16, 20:58   Link #1
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
National Novel Writing Month

http://nanowrimo.org

Awesome event. Write a 50 000 word novel in a month. Not easy, not difficult, hell of a lot of fun. Basically 2000 words a day. I got about half way last year before I realized that I really, really needed to study.

Anyway, I suggest everyone check it out. Also, if you do decide to try it out, feel free to use this service on my site:
http://andrewlb.com/nanowrimo

Seriously, try it out. More people who know about nanowrimo, the better.
AndrewLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 08:29   Link #2
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

hehe. 50,000 words in a month? Dude, I did that in my first 3 weeks alone with my latest novel. Problem was, the second month things slowed down as I started getting into the tougher parts of the novel. Now it's slowed to a crawl as I'm having to really work hard to get through all the intrigue and other tough areas now. hehe. Writing novels is fun and challenging, but bloody hard at times too.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 14:40   Link #3
bubblehead

Send a message via Yahoo to bubblehead
I think I shall try it.

Though with my schedule, it is highly unlikely that I will succeed.

And I've never written a novel before, nor have I finished many short stories.

Aw shoot, I ought to at least START by being optimistic, not doubt myself before I've even begun.

So I'm not supposed to write anything before Nov. 1st, but I can plan it out, right? Hmmm... best to start with a idea...

-bubble out, pondering
bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 15:35   Link #4
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehead
So I'm not supposed to write anything before Nov. 1st, but I can plan it out, right? Hmmm... best to start with a idea...
Uhh, how are they going to know if you started before November 1st? I've already done a prologue to a story I want to finish writing, but I have no idea what the word count is. Can someone do me a favor and copy/paste the text at this link: http://www.allacrost.org/index.php?page=/text/Prologue into M$ Office and give me a word count? How many pages is 50,000 words approximately anyway?
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 19:27   Link #5
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Using one of my own novels as a reference, it comes out to just about 74 pages, give or take a page. Of course that's using block paragraph rough draft format. If you use dialogue format (one mini paragraph per event, dialogue, or change of focus) it could be as much as 150 pages.
Old 2004-10-17, 19:44   Link #6
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Thumbs up Roots- Here ya go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
Uhh, how are they going to know if you started before November 1st? I've already done a prologue to a story I want to finish writing, but I have no idea what the word count is. Can someone do me a favor and copy/paste the text at this link: http://www.allacrost.org/index.php?page=/text/Prologue into M$ Office and give me a word count? How many pages is 50,000 words approximately anyway?

Hey I copied and pasted. How does

Spoiler:
LoveOfAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 19:56   Link #7
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
I got to 22000 words last year, and it was about 40 pages single spaced, so yeah, 80-something pages probably.

Anyway, tell your friends about this event (and, ya know, suggest the use of my novel posting website, heh), I've never managed to get someone offline to do it, but hey, it's worth a try.
Old 2004-10-17, 21:44   Link #8
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I actually write sci-fi as a hobby simply because it's so much fun writing and building the story, the charecters, the scenery, etc. The one I'm working on right now (as mentioned above) is called "Survival of the Lost Fleet" (I've posted up through chapter 32 in my writing section on my website linked in my sig if you want to read it) and is like 160k words at last headcount. Heck, I've got like 12 pages of notes which include something like 60+ unique charecters. I expect to have at least 60 more unique charecters as I continue to build out the other races and areas of the story. hehe. Now you talk about a challenge. Wow, that's a challenge. But so far it's been unbelievably fun!!

I can't wait to do my next novel, of which ironically enough, I've already got the notes for. It's called "Symbiosis", but I won't say much more. You'll just have to wait till I write it.
Old 2004-10-18, 05:06   Link #9
NeverRamza

...I'll consider this. I haven't writen anything of quality in quite a long time.
NeverRamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 18:17   Link #10
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
Geez, I have an idea, but I'm too nervous to turn my work in! My ideas are so out there in comparison to everyone elses...what kind of novels are they looking for?? Absolutely any kind?

Last edited by Ombrenuit; 2004-10-19 at 19:12.
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 21:15   Link #11
AndrewLB
Banned

Doesn't matter, so long as you write it starting Nov 1st and hopefully finish by the end of the month, or at least pass the 50 000 word mark by the end of the month.
Old 2004-10-19, 23:43   Link #12
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

LOL. I might try and do this. I actually have a new book idea forming while I'm working on this current one, so I may explore that one a bit before the 1st of Nov and see if I can't pull it off.
Old 2004-10-20, 16:51   Link #13
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
All right, I joined last night (admist the chaos of getting 5 hours of sleep, studying for two 2 day tests, writing a paper, and reading a novel...*snor*). I'm very excited about this, but I have too many stories I want to write! What I think I'm going to do is right around an environment I've been toying with for some time and see where it goes, but that means I'll have to improve my atmospheric writing. Anyway, I found a link that could be helpful for people planning on writing, but would like some help on the mechanics/creative portion of it :
http://www.troyst.edu/writingcenter/.../handouts.html
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 03:58   Link #14
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
I think I'll join to share my writing talent with other people. I've done novel writing before, so I think the experience will help me in competing with you people.
USB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-31, 12:34   Link #15
AndrewLB
Banned

Nanowrimo starts tomorrow. Just wanted to bump this up and see if anyone is still interested.