AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 30 25.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 53 45.69%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 19.83%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.86%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-29, 15:53   Link #41
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Maxon
Good stuff as usual.

Yuuichi getting emotional with Mai was probably the highlight of the episode. I knew this would happen, just not with Mai. The sword training scene was funny, as was Nayuki's sleep walking . The situation with the School Council President seemed to resolve itself easier than I thought. Still, he's a prat, so it's all good . I can't wait to see what happens with the Shiori situation. I don't know why, but she really interests me.

As always, Ayu and Sayuri were so darn moe.
Old 2006-12-29, 16:14   Link #42
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I liked this episode a lot. Not as the previous one, but still a lot. I'm not very interested if the anime derails a bit from the game. Actually it's something I usually like (until it's in small doses). Certainly it seemed like the role of Sayuri of saving Mai was enlightened. But when the school council president said "Sayuri, don't think you'll be underpenalized, if something will happen again" we somehow got how important she was on the matter.

Mai's reaction (If you do something to Sayuri, I won't forgive you), was the best moment of the episode. I so love Tamura Yukari catching all the glimps shades of Mai's character.

Overall though, yes, the whole ball issue was solved very quickly, but this episode ran at an almost exasperate fast pace: they got on the main way of Mai's arc conclusion, and still they brought ahead other matters. Shiori-Kaori mistery being one. Ayu and her lost thing being another.

This is one of the best aspects of Kanon 2006. When they get serious, there's not a moment of breathe. I simply love this, 25 minutes fly away as they are 3.

Briefly resuming the rest of episode 13: great interaction of the "trio", great general development, great building up of tension.

And the preview for the next episode is just amazing. If it wasn't that next friday is close to holiday's ending -_-;; ... I wish it'd be tomorrow ^^ ... so ... better to leave things as they are after all ^^

9 here, because it can't be a ten all weeks
Old 2006-12-29, 16:52   Link #43
Jaruromania

"Use your Uguu Power!"

Best line ever.
Old 2006-12-29, 17:46   Link #44
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Heh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruromania View Post
"Use your Uguu Power!"

Best line ever.
And her reaction: priceless.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-12-29, 18:15   Link #45
New/Old
Old to the New

Although I did feel as though Mai's getting in trouble after the ball was.... short-ended a bit, I will say that I enjoyed this one. Maybe a full detail on my reaction may come later tonight. It's been one busy week for me...
Old 2006-12-29, 19:28   Link #46
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I was fan of Mai since Eternal Fighter Zero but, seriously, her line against the president raised the respect I held for her character even more.

One small mistake from KyoAni?

If I remember right, in the highschool, female freshmen are supposed to wear a greenish ribbon. If Mai and Sayuri were on their first HS year in the flashback, shouldn't their ribbon be of the mentionned color? Just like Amano's?
Old 2006-12-29, 19:54   Link #47
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I didn't think the animation in the fight scenes in this ep were quite as good as some of the work KyoAni has done in the past. I mean, it's like comparing something great with something near perfect, but it seems apparent now that Kanon doesn't quite have the budget of Haruhi (or, if it does, it's being stretched slightly thinner due to more eps).

I actually thought the best scene in this episode was the one after the first demon was killed where Yuuichi showed more emotion than I can remember in this series so far. It emphasises the obvious, in that Yuuichi is a nice guy with caring intentions for these girls, but it was good to see that he can express himself like that when he feels it. It also helps to have an outstanding seiyuu like Sugita portraying him.

Some of the use of music has been really good. The fast piano version of (what I'm pretty sure is) "Pure Snows" in the Shiori scene in particular really caught my attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoto View Post
New AIR product placement this week:

I knew I recognized that monkey.
Old 2006-12-29, 20:17   Link #48
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
what do you mean by sacrifice? sounds kinda bad ~ but good thing that these criticisms dont affect me much being a first time viewer but the downside to it is that i cant talk about stuff from past experiences
Nothing bad really (or whatever you were imaging ), she was just forced to join the student council in exchange, which she didn't want to - or I should say, she hated to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
If I remember right, in the highschool, female freshmen are supposed to wear a greenish ribbon. If Mai and Sayuri were on their first HS year in the flashback, shouldn't their ribbon be of the mentionned color? Just like Amano's?
Yeah, I believe it's a mistake they made. First year student should have worn the teal ribbon instead.
Old 2006-12-29, 20:38   Link #49
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
One small mistake from KyoAni?

Perhaps, perhaps not. KyoAni, IMO, seems to be interpreting the uniforms ribbon colors as being indicitave of year of graduation (Class of '07, Class of '08, Class of '09) rather than current status (Freshman, Junior, Senior).

Just a guess, but I think it's a reasonable one.
Old 2006-12-29, 21:36   Link #50
Devil Doll
My name? But my name is..

My favourite episode so far - and my first 10/10 rating (this coming from someone who loves Kanon 2002), for making no logical flaws, fixing one problem (Yuuichi could in fact reasonably interact with the "invisible" demons), plus some originality bonus points (Kitagawa, Mai pissing Yuuichi off, Yuuichi's training on the roof). I pray for the series to remain on that level (and provide more Sayuri story, please - I know this will be a problem now...).
Mai is now the officially acclaimed oracle of this series; Kitagawa's apperarance was awesome (I wonder who'll play his Kanon 2002 episode 12 part now, doing that as well would almost be too much). Yuuichi taking Ayu along was another surprise for me but looks like a good idea, given what Mai knew about Makoto (I wasn't that happy about this back then, but it makes more sense now).
Shiori's performance was flawless; Ayu provided some more bits and pieces, and Mai did as well. It's a pity that the dog incident went to waste (it was a highlight of K2, filling half an episode there), but we can't have everything. I actually like Yuuichi's confession to Mai - it's about time this James Bond turns into a schoolboy again. He looked awfully indifferent to romance so far, given we're watching the remake of a dating sim here.
Something bothers me though: Why is Nayuki so incredibly tired recently? Does she have her own business at night?

This is what I would have expected Yuuichi to do in episode 13:
  • Yuuichi: Do you say it was Mai who broke the windows, even though she couldn't reach them?
  • Kuze: But...
  • Yuuichi: Do you say it was Mai who attacked Sayuri and threw her through the whole room?
  • Kuze: Well, not really...
  • Yuuichi: Would you say Sayuri and Mai are friends, as we all know they're together every day?
  • Kuze: One might say that... what's your point?
  • Yuuichi: So what exactly is wrong about Mai defending her best friend against this attack?
  • Kuze: Um, eh... if you see it this way...
  • Yuuichi: I do. Is there any other way to see it?
Compared to this it was a wild stunt what he actually tried, but it miraculously worked anyway. (Wait a minute... I've heard this word before...)
Old 2006-12-29, 21:52   Link #51
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
Yeah, I believe it's a mistake they made. First year student should have worn the teal ribbon instead.
Actually, it may not necessarily be a mistake. Their school may utilize an 'rotatting colours' system, one that ensures that a student that enrolls in a particular year is given one colour for her freshman year, and then sticks with that colour all the way til senior year.

Let me illustrate:

The first year, Mai and Sayuri enrolls in the school as freshmen. They are given the ribbon colour for that year; which happens to be blue. At that time, the sophomore year's colour would be teal, and the senior year would be maroon.

Year 1
Freshmen: BLUE - Mai, Sayuri
Sophomore: TEAL
Senior: MAROON

The second year, Mai and Sayuri ascend into sophomore year, but the blue ribbon remains with them. In line with the rotation of colours, the sophomores of the previous year who wore teal, becomes seniors this year, still wearing teal. The freshmen of this year get the maroon of the previous year's seniors, including Nayuki and Kaori.

Year 2
Freshmen: MAROON - Nayuki, Kaori
Sophomore: BLUE - Mai, Sayuri
Senior: TEAL

In the third year, the year Aizawa Yuuichi transfers into the school, Mai and Sayuri become seniors, and the blue ribbon sticks with them to become the senior's colour for that year. As for Nayuki and Kaori, the same applies to them with the maroon ribbon. The teal ribbon of the seniors of the previous year is rotated back to become the ribbon of the freshmen that year, which is the colour Shiori and Amano gets.

Year 3
Freshmen: TEAL - Shiori, Amano
Sophomore: MAROON - Nayuki, Kaori
Senior: BLUE - Mai, Sayuri

Therefore, every female student of this school uses one colour all throughout her school life, and this would explain why Mai and Sayuri is still seen wearing the blue ribbon even in their freshman year. This is actually a more sensible system than having the female students change colour each year; less waste of resources, less unnecessary complications. Therefore, it's not necessarily a mistake on KyoAni's part; for all I know, that's really how the school system in Japan, or at least in the Kanonverse, works.

P.S. The subs are working really slowly for me too. Sigh. >_<
Old 2006-12-29, 22:35   Link #52
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Doll View Post
He looked awfully indifferent to romance so far, given we're watching the remake of a dating sim here.
Don't use the word "dating-sim" to describe Kanon. Kanon is not a "dating-sim" as no dating is involved, it's a "visual novel" where one reads how the story unfolds.

And what made the original Kanon such ground-breaking work is preciously because it took a much less focus on romance (and sex) and focused on giving the girls depth.

Quote:
Something bothers me though: Why is Nayuki so incredibly tired recently?
Think of that in the same way as why Ayu roams the shopping district, why Mai goes to the school at night, why Makoto became what she is etc.........
Old 2006-12-29, 22:36   Link #53
Jer
(((( _°Д°)))~hwat!?

Send a message via MSN to Jer
Another awesome episode. Yuiichi getting all emo with Mai and stuff was refreshing. The fighting scene was well done. The way Mai said "Woof" and "Mooo" well what can I say... Uber win! And.. Sayuri never seizes to potray her cuteness in every episode. <3
The end just left me pondering about Mai's words.
Spoiler:

It's just so frustrating... to wait for the next episode. Arrgghh!!
Old 2006-12-29, 22:39   Link #54
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, the sort of logical exposition Devil Doll proposes is one that I often wish for in many anime that just doesn't seem to happen.... I've concluded it is a cultural difference more than a writing inability. Socratic debate is rather alien to a culture whose very language is structured to promote "wai" (harmony and no boat rocking). So things that might be resolved with a bit of Shakespearean rapier wit just don't happen. Kyon/Yuuichi type characters are *already* extremely edgy for the culture.

Another thing... Kanon is no more a "date sim" than Star Wars is a mystery film. It has some relationship path aspects to it but it is primarily a surreal set of mysteries ... closer to Twilight Zone than Love Boat. edit: Houkolic says it aptly... its based on a visual novel and hence has a variety of genre aspects.

(still waiting for the damned download.... I keep getting a load of "seeders" connecting that then proceed to just sit on their ass)
Old 2006-12-29, 23:16   Link #55
Julius Firefocht

This episode is good. Everything is perfect to near perfect, and Mai's fighting scenes against the demons simply takes the cake. U1's outburst of emotion was rare indeed, but it shows that he really does care about Mai. Oh, and Sayuri with a giant anteater is pure win!
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2006-12-29, 23:21   Link #56
Devil Doll
My name? But my name is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Doll
Something bothers me though: Why is Nayuki so incredibly tired recently?
Think of that in the same way as why Ayu roams the shopping district, why Mai goes to the school at night, why Makoto became what she is etc.........
When this series began Nayuki was able to run to school faster than Yuuichi (she's the captain of the track&field club after all). Now we see her sleep on her way to school, and sleep at class. Yuuichi keeps supporting Mai and should have less sleep than Nayuki. Mai was hunting demons the whole time, but something changed about Nayuki...
Spoiler for Nayuki's role in Kanon 2002, plus a speculation:

As for the cultural issues of Yuuichi's behaviour, I can accept that. There are anime characters of that type, for example in Meine Liebe - then again they're supposed to be Europeans.
Old 2006-12-29, 23:34   Link #57
Skane
Anime Snark

After re-watching the episode, I have softened a bit in my stance, but I think I will still vote this episode... a 7, for not fully living up to its' potential. My lowest score yet for Kanon(2006).

Random Thoughts on Kanon(2006) Ep13
  • Most of my complaints about this episode are of a technical nature, so I will leave them aside first and talk about the story.
  • I love how they are expanding the side characters and making them play bigger roles in the series. Jun was pretty much forgettable in the Toei's version, which is pretty sad, since he is supposed to be the 'boyfriend' of Kaori.

The insertion of Jun as a MC in the dance festival now makes more sense( other than comedy relief), as it allows him to 'rescue' Mai from the nefarious machinations of Kuze. It also gives something for the fangirls to cheer for, other than the studded Yuuichi.

There were some concerns raised that Jun's 'interference' would conflict with Sayuri's role in Mai's arc, but I believe it is still possible to weave that part in( in the next episode), since Kuze is not the type to give up so easily.

With this in mind, I now anticipate that Jun will play a much bigger role in the next main arc. I always found it disconcerting that Yuuichi was more useful to Kaori than Jun in the Toei's version of Kanon.
  • Kaori's scene, and the tense piano BGM was beautifully done. It really plays out the conflicted emotions going on in that scene. Kinda weirded out when Mai and Sayuri just popped out from behind and walked past. I don't think that was necessary, as it distracted the viewer from what should have been the main focus of that scene.

Kaori.
  • "Ayu, meet the tallest girl in my harem. Mai, meet the shortest girl in my harem."

Good grief, Ayu looked extremely diminutive next to Mai.
  • I was grinning with glee when Mai dropped hints about her and Ayu's past, but it does worry me a bit that they are making Mai far too all-knowing. Mai is not supposed to be an Oracle or such, and the role of information-giver is meant to be somebody else who has been absent in this episode, and relegated to the sidelines since the conclusion of Makoto's arc.

I'm chuffed that they are expanding Mai's role, and giving her more screentime, but not at the expense of the other characters please. I know all too well how fans feel when their favourites are but a mere spectre in a show.
  • Okay, now for some of my grievances.

Animation consistency. Not quality. Consistency. There were at least 3 different artstyles in this episode alone, and Yuuichi suffered the worst. He was inflicted with what I like to call, Putty-face Syndrome.

Also, if I had to summarise the episode in two words from a technical point of view, it would have to be, "Budget Saving".

There were recycled layers galore, such as the recoloured vehicles. There were so many still frames that it almost seem as though the anime had reverted back to the visual novel style. There were numerous 'Horizon Shots' and 'Far-distance Shots' that pretty much cut down on the number of animation needed to be drawn, but lots of details were lost in the process.

Additionally, as a Mai fanboy, I am upset that they chose to use Mai's arc as the arc to cut costs on. I'm telling you, if the other arcs get animated more beautifully than Mai's arc, I will cry foul. Especially the ending scenes.

Equal budget please!
  • Ayu had chopstick legs when she was hugging Yuuichi in fear... No, really. Go check it out.
  • Are Fire-Extinguishers(F-Ex) made of paper in Japan? When I was in the army, I handled F-Ex a lot, and let me assure you, they are not hurlable unless you have the strength of an Ogre or something.

You can throw a F-Ex, no doubt, but not in such an aerodynamic flight path as shown in this episode. The way they're showing it, they're making it as though Mai is Superwoman or something.

Also, they're EXTREMELY hard, and my eyebrows paid a visit to the moon when I saw Yuuichi effortlessly CRUSH the F-Ex with his WOODEN sword.

Judging from the flight path alone, and using the formula F=Ma, Yuuichi's wrists should have been sprained at least, if not shattered. Not to mention the WOODEN sword, which should have splintered.

HALE, a metal rod would have bent from the force.

Please, can somebody verify this?
Cheers.
Old 2006-12-29, 23:36   Link #58
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian View Post
I have always wonder- can someone actually puncture a metal fire extingisher with a wood sword? Hmmm
No. Unless fire extinguishers in Japan are radically different from the ones used in the United States, what was shown in this episode can only be called dramatic license. I have an extinguisher of similar size and configuration in my basement workshop: it weighs in at about 15 pounds fully charged, and has a tested pressure rating of almost 600 psi (normal charge is about 200 psi). A bokken is going to make very little impression on something like that, even if you put it on the floor and pound it until the bokken breaks. Unless you happen to knock off the valve stem, in which case the cylinder will rocket off at a high rate of speed, not explode. Plus, the extinguisher was in the air when Yuuichi hit it with his sword, so his blow would tend to deflect the course of the extinguisher rather than have a crushing impact on the cylinder wall. Which is a very good thing for Yuuichi! Because if he had managed to rupture that extinguisher when it was about 3 feet away from his body... 200 psi + shrapnel from metal cylinder = Kanon 2006 (and Yuuichi) end sooner than expected. Actually, Yuuichi would have been in a pretty bad way if that extinguisher had hit him like the bucket did. Mai does not play around, ne? Student council president would be wise to take note of that.
Old 2006-12-29, 23:36   Link #59
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Doll View Post
When this series began Nayuki was able to run to school faster than Yuuichi (she's the captain of the track&field club after all). Now we see her sleep on her way to school, and sleep at class. Yuuichi keeps supporting Mai and should have less sleep than Nayuki. Mai was hunting demons the whole time, but something changed about Nayuki...
Okay if you want me to spell it out....

Spoiler:
Old 2006-12-29, 23:54   Link #60
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

I guess it would be the first episode i found a bit disappointing. The episode was not boring, plus a lot of things happened, but KyoAni having set such High Standards, this was a bit less from their potential.

I guess the Mai FINALE is in another 2 episodes, so hopefully they will do the same job as they have been doing. Although I prefer Makoto and the Shiori Arc over Mai, i m still a bit depressed how this episode was handled.

I still gave this an 8, since the episode was not boring. Otherwise it might have been my first 7 ever for Kanon.
Closed Thread