Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-09-26, 12:49   Link #181
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^^
^
Kano bad (sex slave) end

What about those kids? Amuhi or something who blew up that bomb and that kid who dived after him after he got stabbed in the stomach?

Also that emperor, where?

So the reinforcement never came, goddamn liar
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-26, 13:08   Link #182
Wandering Soul

At least Jinzaburou and Terhui survived. That's good enough for me.
Old 2018-09-26, 16:56   Link #183
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Plot armor seems like a bad choice for a series like this.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-26, 21:24   Link #184
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

It was indeed problematic for Jinzaburou to have survived the way he did. It was literally a deux ex machina scenario, which detracts greatly from the otherwise historically grounded fiction that the story sits upon.

I can't speak for the manga original but, when it comes solely to the anime, it's my opinion that most of the supporting cast — save for Teruhi and Shiraishi — were poorly developed and, as such, it was difficult to feel anything much for them as they died, one by one. Yes, it's horrible the way Kano died, but that's how I would feel for any other female character in that situation. The story did not present enough details about Kano for me to feel outraged and sorry for her in particular, and that is a significant problem. This was also particularly the case for the doctor-monk who was killed in the previous episode while protecting some patients — we weren't told anything about him until the last minute and, as a result, it was difficult to feel sad or sorry for him when he died.

Contrast this with Amushi, the spunky kid who took a liking to Sana. I was really hoping that he would survive but, alas, it was not to be. We may not know very much about his backstory, but we were shown consistently how he contributed throughout the series and, even better, he found a cute girlfriend. As an audience, we became emotionally invested in his survival, so it was truly sad that he didn't make it.

All in all, Angolmois has been entertaining. But it suffers from too many flaws to be truly great, in my opinion.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-26, 22:20   Link #185
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I agree, I was hoping Amushi would survive too, and he was indeed the best developed (along with Shiraishi, maybe) of the side characters. And it actually would have made a certain poetical sense for him to survive and represent with Sana some hope for the future.
Old 2018-09-27, 00:04   Link #186
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah I think Amushi was just about the only character I really liked and kind of hoped would survive. Teruhi surviving means she can continue her tsundere relationship with Jinzaburou, kissing him when he's unconscious, and acting really creepy in general. Joy!

Also maybe I wasn't paying attention but did Sana die or not? With how the episode is unfolding I kind of just presumed the shark talking to Jinaburou ate her or something.

Not a bad show. It had good moments and the first episode was really strong. Just didn't help build a strong attachment to the cast. And the nonsensical way Jinzaburou survived all this just made me wonder why they killed everyone else if such random survival was on the table.
Old 2018-09-27, 00:41   Link #187
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I assume Sana survived. Her Tsushima cat looked pretty happy.
Old 2018-09-27, 11:03   Link #188
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I would add Onitakemaru among the characters that stood out. He got some nice interactions with Jinzaburou.

And I agree Amushi's death is the one that stung the most.
Old 2018-09-28, 17:01   Link #189
ScrewySquirrel

Overall, this was a Japanese retelling of the mythical version of the Battle of the Alamo: small force holds out for a week or so against a much larger army before getting wiped out.
ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-29, 04:43   Link #190
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I assume Sana survived. Her Tsushima cat looked pretty happy.
Would be funny if it turned out that the cat just didn't give a fuck.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-02, 18:35   Link #191
Applehell

I viewed this ending as something like compromise between adhering to actual history and while not making everything a complete downer. Lots of people died, but at least Kuchii and Teruhi survived a long with some others. So not as bleak as could have. It's a shame though that besides a short handful (the pirate guy, Amushi, Shirashi, Nagamine) none of characters had either enough characterization or development for their deaths to have much of an impact individually. The same applies to the last fight as a whole since Ruku wasn't enough to the make his duel with Kuchii meaningful.

An okay show on the whole.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-03, 02:13   Link #192
Alchemist007
*Author

Wouldn't have minded a 2 cour seeing how this was clearly rushed. I liked the characterization without it getting too bogged down by tropes or antics. End of the day it was about survival, which only few managed to do, pretty much because of luck.

7.5/10

Tags
historical