AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-03-26, 18:45   Link #81
elusive

GREAT CHAPTER!

You guys never saw Drunken Master?

You guys kill me saying you'll stop reading. You know you won't. No one will care if you do anyway.

Lee's character was comic relief from the beginning (the eye brows, Gai, etc) so why are you surprised?
elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 18:47   Link #82
DarkNtity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmedaus
I don't see any jokes in the fighting style, nor in the chapter It's not like Lee is going to moon Kimm and then start puking everywhere. It's not frat party drunk Lee, it's drunken style Lee. Maybe this chapter is spoiling the expactations that people have? As in, people would be happier if all the other fights were settled and then this fights happened?

Sure it's drunken boxing but it's still a valid fighting style. I think people are thinking Lee is going to win with not a scratch on him, but I doubt it. Kimm hasn't even gone seal 2 yet.

I get the point though, I'm not that cool with Lee coming back all of a sudden either, but I guess that's the way the Naruto's world works, in terms of medicine that is. I am also biased a bit because my favorite characters so far are Lee and Neji....so I can see how someone who enjoys Kimm, or Naruto...or Shikamaru would want to see those fights to end first. I think there will be plenty of time once it is all done for every character to get into the spotlight. Manga has to be read in chunks to get the whole feel of where the story is going. I think criticizing one chapter so deep is a mistake. Then again, that's the way I read it....

These fights have to be read as happening at the same time and since the action keeps rising without any sort of loose ends being tied. It means that everything is being saved for the end when, in the climax, all the loose ends are tied all at once and most questions answered. For those who wants to see what happens with other fights, they might have to wait even longer when Naruto catches up with Sasuke.

I guess if Naruto wins the fight with a fart this time....there might be a riot in these forums?
Oh my God! Take your common sense somewhere else and let the whiners continue.
DarkNtity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 18:55   Link #83
aahhsin

I didn't realize people are bitching about the druken boxing...

I'm not, I personally think it's great, but I don't give a shit about this fight. Lee ruined this arc by comming here in the first place. What the hell? it makes it seem like gates have no setback to them.

And I still want to know who Kiba sniffed out. The problem is that it's leaving too many cliffhangers.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 19:00   Link #84
rorosama

why don't the whiners stop whining. Just take a break or stop reading naruto at all. Although lee's recovery is farfetched, he's obviously back by popular demand. I bet gaara is one of the people kiba smelled because he's still as popular as lee even after his long absence.
rorosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 19:10   Link #85
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I'm satisfied with the explaination on how lee got there. It's obviously him, and he's not 100%. Still I don't really like the direction their going with Lee. Why is he all of a sudden a drunken kung-fu master? It really makes no sense. Lee was popular because he was serious in battle, and his fighting style was cool. That's all been stripped from his character now. While drunken kung-fu doesn't really mean the user is drunk irl, in works of fiction, it usually does. How can lee become a respectable ninja if he starts drinking as a kid?
Old 2004-03-26, 19:13   Link #86
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Sure it's drunken boxing but it's still a valid fighting style.
Not really. The given origin of drunken boxing comes from a story of 8 "immortals" who get invited to an undersea kingdom to a banquet. The 8 of them get drunk off their ass, and when the kingdom's guards attack them to toss them out, they formulate a style of fighting in their drunken stupor.

Every time I've seen it used in a movie, it's a comedic bit. Every time I've seen it used in a video game, it's a comedic bit. (Most of the time, like in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, it's PAINFULLY not funny.) Drunken Boxing is a serious form if used in a serious manner, by a real practitioner. The erratic movements when combined with an exceptionally flexible user (the stumbling backwards, and immediate directional shifts can't be performed by someone who's the least bit rigid.) makes for an unorthodox and powerful style, because basically what it amounts to a fighting style that is a series of feints.

However, the number of actual pracitioners is SO rare that the only time it's used any more is as a joke. Like Lee right now. Him getting plastered is obviously supposed to be a funny bit. Only in the middle of all this, it isn't.

Quote:
These fights have to be read as happening at the same time and since the action keeps rising without any sort of loose ends being tied. It means that everything is being saved for the end when, in the climax, all the loose ends are tied all at once and most questions answered. For those who wants to see what happens with other fights, they might have to wait even longer when Naruto catches up with Sasuke.
Which is preceisely why Lee's diversion is so annoying. Sasuke's exit, and Lee's entrance means that there isn't going to be any tying up of loose ends any time soon. Neji would seriously like to go home now. Choji must be famished, if he's alive. And both of them are next to dead bodies that are starting to smell bad.

If this were by itself, like I said, I'd be laughing my ass off. As it is, I'm just disappointed in Kishimoto's comedic instincts yet again.
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 19:18   Link #87
Merco
I like pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
I didn't realize people are bitching about the druken boxing...

I'm not, I personally think it's great, but I don't give a shit about this fight. Lee ruined this arc by comming here in the first place. What the hell? it makes it seem like gates have no setback to them.

And I still want to know who Kiba sniffed out. The problem is that it's leaving too many cliffhangers.

bah, he's already had enough setback as it is, lets not forget that he went through the end of the chuunin and semi-Itachi arc, Tsunade Arc, and the chapters preceding this arc, as well as this one, hell I'd bet an internet doughnut he'll be quite screwed up by the end of the arc.

At least the bone fragments are gone from his spine... um... I think.
Merco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 19:31   Link #88
Asmedaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Which is preceisely why Lee's diversion is so annoying. Sasuke's exit, and Lee's entrance means that there isn't going to be any tying up of loose ends any time soon. Neji would seriously like to go home now. Choji must be famished, if he's alive. And both of them are next to dead bodies that are starting to smell bad.

If this were by itself, like I said, I'd be laughing my ass off. As it is, I'm just disappointed in Kishimoto's comedic instincts yet again.
Yeah, I understand where you are coming from. If you are waiting every chapter for the conclusion of the fight that you've been looking forward to, this fight will seem like a setback. I just wonder if you'll feel that way in about 2 volumes or so, when we are passed this arc.

This is sorta Kishimoto's style to keep a lot of things juggled in the air, storywise and then explain or tie up *some* loose ends and keep a few fresh ones so he can then develop those in a new story arc. I think it would probably be best, for those who are waiting for the loose ends to be tied up, to wait a few chapters, or maybe even volumes before reading again. I believe a lot of the frustration you are feeling would not be felt.

As for the drunken boxing, I agree it is unorthodox especially for a kid. I also don't see it as comedic as you do, the actual style might be funny. Like a drunk is funny, until you realize why he drinks. I wonder what the drawbacks will be? Maybe Lee will have to re-examine his life? I don't know, sure raises a lot of questions though....which might or might not be in the story arcs to come.

It would be really boring if every chapter opened and closed with no loose ends. Loose ends keep us guessing and reading to see what will happen.
Asmedaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 19:36   Link #89
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Ok i just checked out the raw and this is what it looks like.

The surgery was successful, but Lee being the naturual idiot that he is ... left the hospital right away with some alcohol ... obviously both Gai and Tsunade freak out. The reason why i think the surgery was a success is because Gai had tears of joy at first and Tsunade was smiling.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 19:39   Link #90
Vstylex
Resident Dumbass

Quote:
I wonder what the drawbacks will be? Maybe Lee will have to re-examine his life?
I can see it now Lee is forced into Alcholics Anonymous by Tsunade, but can't seem to break the habit due to his binge drinking with Gai at the local Konoha frathouse...
Vstylex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 19:47   Link #91
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >

Seriously, I loved this chapter (can't wait for the translation though)! It would be perfect! If Sasuke has already copied Lee's taijutsu and worked his speed up to the same level (which basically means Lee will never be on par with him), then Lee should become a drunken-master and be a unique, kick-ass ninja! Go Lee!!
Old 2004-03-26, 19:51   Link #92
n00blike
member 69 of S.P.A. ;)

wooooow i just ODed on naruto!
Form 6 am i have beed watching naruto form eps 1-76 and wooow that is the best way to watch it man sure it will take a while but hey it worht it! i think the guys that keep crying about this need to sit down and read 100 chapters to see that most of them are happening in the same day even what seems like 30 min could cover only 5 min of real life! just sit down with some salt crackers and 4 2 leiters of sprite and injoy!
n00blike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 19:53   Link #93
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Yeah, I understand where you are coming from. If you are waiting every chapter for the conclusion of the fight that you've been looking forward to, this fight will seem like a setback. I just wonder if you'll feel that way in about 2 volumes or so, when we are passed this arc.
I'm not waiting for it every chapter...it was just that, with Shika's fight about to finish, and Kiba's fight about to finish...this was leading towards everything getting wrapped up in 5 chapters or so...and then...poof...a plot twist appears. Now it feels like the story's jumped 2 steps backwards.

Quote:
This is sorta Kishimoto's style to keep a lot of things juggled in the air, storywise and then explain or tie up *some* loose ends and keep a few fresh ones so he can then develop those in a new story arc. I think it would probably be best, for those who are waiting for the loose ends to be tied up, to wait a few chapters, or maybe even volumes before reading again. I believe a lot of the frustration you are feeling would not be felt.
But that's not what's going on at all. There are still a myriad of loose ends waiting to be tied. What's going to happen to Tsunade...she's pretty old under that fresh coat of paint. Where the Akatsuki at? Does Iruka ever get any skills? When's Kyuubi going to pop outta Naruto and just get it over with?

And no new loose ends that need to answered outside this arc have really sprung up as a result of this arc. Assuming everyone gets back...or one or two possible deaths, all that's occured is that Sasuke has gotten to Oro. If Naruto drags him back...that means NOTHING has happened, except Oro has a new body, and possibly his arms back. Nothing new has arisen 1-2 bit of progress have been made. A crapload of issues have passed.

All I really want to see is that Shikamaru is ok. Then I can go ahead and read this maybe in monthly increments. I've been stressing that he might bite it ever since Choji's fight, and this is just geting ridiculous now. If Kishimoto would just go ahead and resolve that in a good way...I'd be more willing to tolerate flights of fancy. (Anything that doesn't involve him being dead, or hinting that he's possibly dead. I don't care if it ends up a draw with both of them knocked out...or him knocking her up. Either way is cool.) However, we've just gone from Shika being cornered, then in control of his fight, then losing control, and then ignored now. WTF. Seriously, I read a lot of books that bounce from character to character. None of them leave a character on the edge of possible death. That's bad writing.

Quote:
As for the drunken boxing, I agree it is unorthodox especially for a kid. I also don't see it as comedic as you do, the actual style might be funny. Like a drunk is funny, until you realize why he drinks. I wonder what the drawbacks will be? Maybe Lee will have to re-examine his life? I don't know, sure raises a lot of questions though....which might or might not be in the story arcs to come.
Drunken boxing is always supposed to be a comic bit. In Drunken Master, half the fun was watching Jackie HAVE to get drunk in order to beat people up. When a drunken boxer gets drunk, you're supposed to laugh. If they're just fighting drunken style, no alcohol invovled, then it's supposed to be serious.

Quote:
It would be really boring if every chapter opened and closed with no loose ends. Loose ends keep us guessing and reading to see what will happen.
While that's true, that's not what this is...this is misusing the cliffhanger.
Old 2004-03-26, 19:58   Link #94
Lost World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNtity
Anime purist here, jumping straight from Ep 76 of the anime to Chp 210 of the manga. And all this just cause Lee's back.

Anyway after reading a rough translation, Lee's took the surgery and is A-ok. Except he skipped rehabilitation and took his medicine bottle along with him. Problem is he mistook Tsunade's sake bottle for his medicine. Gai tells the folks around him "A drunk Lee is a very dangerous". Lee drinks the sake during his fight and does a Dr.Jekyl - Mr.Hyde transformation. Going from polite to assholic rude.

He and Gai went celebrating after Lee mastered Ura Renge. Lee got drunk and smashed the store to pieces.
Oh my god...Lee's gonna die, but it's gonna be hilarious.
Lost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 20:02   Link #95
Asmedaus

I'm sure there will be comedic parts, but Kishimoto enjoys putting a bit of comedy in fights. I guess this is a question of taste now, some people don't like it...some people enjoy.

Hopefully, everyone will be happier once their favorite characters ends up alive and well, and can look at this chapter and volume with a more favorable eye.
Asmedaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 20:07   Link #96
Lost World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhJustSomeRandomGuy
We can see that Rock's probably fighting for his life. The thing is, now a really dramatic fight is going to get resolved through hijinks and tomofoolery. Kimi, who most people thought was the coolest character since Itachi, is about to get pounded on by someone who's drunk off his ass.

Going on as a sideshow to the circus, we have Shikamaru in a battle of wills with Tayuya, naked Kiba running around trying to defy all odds and just LIVE, and Naruto trying to prevent Orochimaru from destroying most of the known world.
Oh, man, I don't see what's so non-funny about this? I just read your description of the situation and couldn't stop laughing!

Hahahah...Naked Kiba...
Lost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 20:21   Link #97
ChouOishii

hey guys, I just downloaded the raw and I'm not done with it yet (I'm not very fast at reading japanese and the quality of the scans makes it hard to read some of the yomigana), but lee did have his operation and it was a success.

the 5th says so when gai comes in. he looks freaked out because he just returned from a mission and wanted to know what happened with lee's operation.

now back to reading, I'll post more if anything else is mentioned about it that I can understand
ChouOishii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 20:23   Link #98
ChouOishii

she also says he'll be able to start training again "tomorrow" (not sure if this is a flashback-type thing or if this is happening as lee is showing up to the fight).

*edit* oops, I posted this before reading the entire thread ^^; didn't see that someone had already explained this oh well, back to reading! ^_^
ChouOishii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 20:25   Link #99
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
I'm sure there will be comedic parts, but Kishimoto enjoys putting a bit of comedy in fights. I guess this is a question of taste now, some people don't like it...some people enjoy.

Hopefully, everyone will be happier once their favorite characters ends up alive and well, and can look at this chapter and volume with a more favorable eye.
I'm all for comedy in fights. When Akamaru peed on Sakon and Ukon, I laughed. Jackie Chan's movies are my favorite kung-fu flicks bar none. But you can't overuse the comedy. Especially when it's been a fairly serious tone manga up until this point. You get a couple moments or two of levtiy, and then it's back to...ok, you could die any second here.

This is the complaint some people are starting to bring up in the anime. The filler that they added has Guy acting like a goofball in the middle of all out war, and I agree. There's a time to joke, and a time to whup some ass. It's clearly whup ass time in both situations.
Old 2004-03-26, 20:35   Link #100
realdeal
The Real Deal

i hope he dont win with drunken kunfu..seriously drunken style is nothing like his character. His fast explosive fighting style is simmilar to that of bruce lee, thast what i liked about the guy. He gonna start messin about like jackie chan its gonna be stupid. Even if its in serious manner..drunken style? w00t? suppose o be soem super hidden strong move we never seen b4 gonna kick kini's ass. I hope he uses it, gets whooped, recovers, opens gates and beat kini.
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote