Old 2007-11-02, 00:53   Link #501
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by thr View Post
Code:
-ass-font-scale <value>
Something like 0.8 should do the trick. More subtitle options, as always, on the MPlayer manual page.
It's actually different for each font, since VSFilter uses a completely different scale for font sizes. But it was fixed back this May in mplayer, I thought.
Old 2007-11-05, 03:54   Link #502
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Ledgem

Haven't personally seen that problem - what's the file you're using? As for the Quicktime Pro for everyone in Leopard... can't say I ever heard that. They did deliver free fullscreen (gasp!) in QTPro for Leopard, but that also came out in... was it 7.5? for Tiger/Windows.

And uh.. hi, everyone. I'm still alive, for those awaiting that release of rc2 MPlayer. I've actually compiled a working PPC binary on my end, a few days back (on Tiger). That said, I wanted to try compiling it in Leopard as well, but I've been having a few issues. I'm going to give SVN a try, and then hopefully I'll have a nice shiny new PPC version of the binary that Nonezumi has kicking around. Apologies for the rather long absence, had my final essays and thesis due in the last few weeks, then I took a brief holiday to celebrate my upcoming graduation and postgrad acceptance, so I've been a bit incommunicado... shouldn't be too long now, though

-Andiyar
Old 2007-11-06, 15:59   Link #503
Ishimaru-kun
My one and only

Send a message via AIM to Ishimaru-kun Send a message via MSN to Ishimaru-kun Send a message via Yahoo to Ishimaru-kun
Ugh, I keep getting this error when trying to compile any version of MPlayer:

Code:
  "_FT_New_Face", referenced from:
      _read_font_desc_ft in libosd.a(font_load_ft.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mplayer] Error 1
I'm using the latest version of Freetype, I first had it installed via MacPorts, but I uninstalled it, downloaded the source, compiled it, and installed it. But I keep getting this error. Someone mentioned that page 3 of this thread gives a way to fix this, but I couldn't find anything that fixed this error. I recently switched from a Mac Mini, to an iMac, and it worked on the Mac Mini. I'm using Leopard as my OS, but when I installed Leopard on the iMac, I restored from a backup from the Mini. Everything else seems ok, it's just this that's the problem. Thanks.

Last edited by Ishimaru-kun; 2007-11-06 at 16:10. Reason: Added more info
Old 2007-11-06, 18:33   Link #504
Ishimaru-kun
My one and only

Send a message via AIM to Ishimaru-kun Send a message via MSN to Ishimaru-kun Send a message via Yahoo to Ishimaru-kun

Seems the ld: symbol(s) not found is the main issue. I don't know how to get rid of that, or what the cause of the problem is. :\
Old 2007-11-08, 23:35   Link #505
Akeval

Send a message via AIM to Akeval
Do you guys know of any stand-alone players for macs? The one i'm currently on has an admin block (via school)

Anything would be welcomed, and much appreciated~
Old 2007-11-08, 23:57   Link #506
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ Akeval

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'stand alone player' for Mac? Do you mean like a stand alone app like MPlayer/VLC/etc? If so, and you're using an access control list, it's unlikely we can help you here - if your school is administered via OSX Server, it's more likely than not that they've just allowed a certain set of apps and anything else is restricted...

-Andiyar
Old 2007-11-09, 01:34   Link #507
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
I have no problems playing anime on my mac... much because I download/torrent them via XP on another desktop, burn a DVD via DivX player, then play it on the DivX player, mac version.
Old 2007-11-09, 23:12   Link #508
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
That seems like a lot of trouble when the Mac has little to no trouble playing back most formats.
Old 2007-11-10, 23:40   Link #509
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon9283 View Post
That seems like a lot of trouble when the Mac has little to no trouble playing back all formats.
Fixed that for yah.
Old 2007-11-13, 21:00   Link #510
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
I noticed a couple of issues with the mplayer installer. On leopard, users no longer have their own group with the same name. So for example, my user, tom (uid=501) is in the group staff (uid=20). On Tiger I would have had a group with the GID of 501 named tom. The installer sets the GID on mplayer osx.app to 501. There is no group with a GID of 501. This, due to a bug with the finder, causes the get info window to crash if you try changing permissions.

Issue #2, which I just figured out from looking at the info.plist in the fonts.pkg file, is that it writes out files to /opt/local/etc. If you happen to install mplayer before installing fontconfig (IIRC) via macports it causes the port to not install. I had been wondering what had put something in that dir before but now I know. This concerns me that it may clobber files put there by something else.

Also, the installer asks for root privileges but doesn't seem to use them. If you have nothing already in /opt/local/etc/fonts you don't root privileges to write there. Am I incorrect here? It also requests a reboot which seems unnecessary.
Old 2007-11-16, 07:04   Link #511
yutaro

I actually prefer Quicktime and perian to any other player out there since it seems so stable. VLC and mplayer tend to crash a lot for me, not to mention the horrid sub support in VLC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Quicktime with Perian is pretty neat, although I couldn't find an option about toggling subtitles.
Go to window>show movie properties
It has all the tracks in the container including subs if any are available, easily toggle them on and off by checking the tickbox.
Don't know if this is a PRO-only function though.
Old 2007-11-16, 15:09   Link #512
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by yutaro View Post
Go to window>show movie properties
It has all the tracks in the container including subs if any are available, easily toggle them on and off by checking the tickbox.
Don't know if this is a PRO-only function though.
Unfortunately it does seem to be a PRO-only function. Worse, the key for Quicktime PRO that we have at work doesn't work with version 7

Update on the Quicktime blocks I mentioned before: I was able to reproduce them regularly, but as of updating to 10.5.1 I can't seem to do it, even with the files I'd originally noticed them on. I guess that update fixed something along the line that was causing it.
Old 2007-11-17, 08:51   Link #513
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Okay, so I thought I'd update my compiling of post-RC2 SVN. The reason I couldn't full screen is that apparently just pressing F is enough to do that now; Cmd+F will not fullscreen in my build of GUI MPlayer it seems (though it still works in Terminal Mplayer). Another point of interest: as of recent SVNs (just compiled tonight), the key for cycling through subtitle tracks has been changed from B to J. This won't affect you if you're using one of the builds posted earlier in this thread, though. Just thought I'd get this information out there.

Last edited by Discerptor; 2007-11-17 at 22:02.
Old 2007-11-19, 05:43   Link #514
Aegelward

i'm not sure if this is affecting anyone else, but sometimes audio seems to not work in MKV files using quicktime+perian. sometimes its mp3 and sometimes its acc audio, quicktime just tells me that it won't work and links me to the plugin page. strangely these are files that have worked previously

it could be related to having to hard reset my system when it was accidentally put into sleep mode while playing a video.. but i've made sure to re-install perian and its still giving me issues.
Old 2007-11-19, 22:17   Link #515
SassyRobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegelward View Post
i'm not sure if this is affecting anyone else, but sometimes audio seems to not work in MKV files using quicktime+perian. sometimes its mp3 and sometimes its acc audio, quicktime just tells me that it won't work and links me to the plugin page. strangely these are files that have worked previously

it could be related to having to hard reset my system when it was accidentally put into sleep mode while playing a video.. but i've made sure to re-install perian and its still giving me issues.

I'm having the same problem with quicktime + perian and running certain mkv files (no audio). Have you done a system update recently? I think the problem is the new version of Quicktime (7.3).

So, if that's what the problem is, we'll have to wait for another update. In the mean time, there is always MPlayer!
Old 2007-11-23, 23:53   Link #516
Pacoup

Hello everyone,

I just bought a new iMac, coupled with 4GB of RAM and a Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme 2.8 Ghz + Radeon HD2600 Pro. So, performance may not be the issue here .

Well, let's get straight to the point, I'm a long time Windows user and have absolutely no idea how to properly play my MKVs on my new Mac. I don't want to use VLC cause of crappy ASS/SSA support.

So, I have Mac OS X Leopard. I downloaded the latest MPlayer OS X: 1.0 rc1.
I have managed to play MKVs with Sound and very good Video but have come short of being able to show subs.
I tried all sorts of keys, including "v", mentioned earlier in this forum.

Could someone help me?
Like, give the command line operation for subs?

Thx
Old 2007-11-24, 00:28   Link #517
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Welcome to the world of OSX - I'm a relatively new convert myself, and it's been a happy exprience thus far. Especially in terms of media capabilities and system recovery when repairing other Macs.

Anyway, here's what you're looking for. Open the preferences and go to the "Miscallaneous" tab. Check the "additional parameters" box and copy and paste this exactly into there:

-sid 0 -ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig -ac mad,

Depending on your build of MPlayer or what you're watching you may need a slightly modified version of that, but that's seemingly worked for everything I've thrown at it thus far. There was a different version of that which would cause mPlayer to have issues with softsub avis for me - kind of bizarre.

The only frustrating thing about doing this is that subs are not easily togglable with this. If you don't want the subs, uncheck the additional parameters box - mPlayer will want a program restart. It usually returns you to where you left off, but it's still a bit frustrating to have to toggle it through the preferences menu. Note that unchecking the box doesn't clear the text entered as the parameter, so you can easily go back and just check it again.
Old 2007-11-24, 09:11   Link #518
Ryoujin
What?

I've been watching anime for a bit, but after reading this thread (and getting a few things) it's going smoother now.

Probably all these applications (QuickTime+Perian, VLC or MPlayer) will end up with the users' preference. I used to use VLC a lot, and never really liked MPlayer. VLC had it's downsides, but it was good overall.

After complementing, I've ended up watching more .AVI files with QuickTime+Perian. This is mainly because one of the things that annoyed me of VLC is that whenever you fast scroll (by moving the dot at the bottom) you would randomly get errors, while in QuickTime it doesn't happen. The only downside of QuickTime would probably be not being able to go forward or backward by pressing the button.

MPlayer helped me watch a couple of episodes that had weird encodings, for example, OGM files with subtitles that were not embedded to the file.

VLC is still not bad, tho, easier to use than MPlayer IMO.

By the way, Pacoup, you might want to check the posts on this thread (backwards, from recent to older) and download the version of MPlayer that was compiled here. I used to get errors with the one you download from MPlayers official site (which is an older version, rc1, the compiled here is rc2), but with the one that is provided here things are fine.

Last edited by Ryoujin; 2007-11-24 at 09:12. Reason: Extra info
Old 2007-11-24, 19:02   Link #519
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ Ledgem

Actually, that's not correct. You can easily toggle subtitles on without using the command line in any build of MPlayer. The exact keys are given in the first post in this thread; for mine and Nonezumi's build, the toggle key is 'j'.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-11-24, 19:05   Link #520
taelrak

Hrm, actually was there a compiled version of Mplayer RC2 posted here? Couldn't find it.

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate