AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-06-01, 22:23   Link #261
Craymel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Here's a problem I've found. I'm using Firefox 3.X on Windows 7. Well, I tried to install some add-ons. Every single add-on fails (and the same add-ons do not fail on a nearby Vista box). The error console log info implies basic coding errors like 'unknown property' (zoom, align, and so on).

Going to re-install Firefox and see if that corrects it but also wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Update: false alarm I suppose.... wiped FF completely off after backing up bookmarks and re-installed. Problem "went away" fnar.
What add-ons are you using? Mine seem to be working fine. I'd like to double check.

EDIT: never mind I didn't notice your edit lol
Old 2009-06-03, 13:42   Link #262
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ya know, this may be the first Microsoft OS update since win2000sp4 that I've actually been relatively happy about. I still hate the "mothership call home activate" crap and a dozen other little things (like the whole "homegroup" vs "workgroup" nonsense which looks designed to confuse average people into thinking they need to upgrade all the computers in their house)

.... yeah, its basically Vista 2.0 (Now With Working Stuff!)... but I've been grinding away at the release candidate but its stayed up and running.

Perhaps it'll put more pressure on the Linux distributors to clean up the remaining issues with "general joe average user".

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...genheimer.mspx

The "evil" part is that I've gotten used to running Win7 Ultimate and will probably grit my teeth if I decide to go with functionality over the bells+whistles next winter.

Has there been any pricing estimates on the various Win7 packages? (I'd probably be buying OEM anyway from my component supplier, Vista Ultimate 64bit runs $208 and Vista Home 64bit runs $100 from them).
Old 2009-06-03, 15:08   Link #263
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, according to net sources, the 7 release date has been finalized for Oct, 22. Pricing... your guess is as good as mine but I do hope they cut us some slack this time. Also note that FINALLY, NOW, for MOST users, Home Premium or Professional will be enough based on the features presented. I mean, Home Premium actually seems to have value now. The only problem I have with Premium is that the XP Mode won't be included, so if the Professional price is right, I might skip and get the Professional just to be sure.
Old 2009-06-30, 19:03   Link #264
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Microsoft revealed the pricing... and Home Premium is cheaper than before, but Professional (the version I need) and Ultimate still cost the same and still very expensive (what were they thinking) for the features you getting over Vista. More expensive than the Snow Leopard upgrade that only cost $29 dollars.

At that rate, I'm just going to stick to Vista Business SP2 even though I have a few issues.
Old 2009-06-30, 20:52   Link #265
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I usually buy my OS from OEM parts suppliers (MS Partners, blahblah legal blah). I suspect the Home full product will run around $99 OEM (same cost as Vista 64 bit Basic now)

.... but I'm kind of curious to see what they charge for the Pro/Ultimate. That's a pretty ridiculous price jump for the rather small number of additional functions you get (0.o). I foresee a lot of small businesses just opting for "Home Premium" unless the OEM sticks to around $150-$200.
Old 2009-06-30, 21:01   Link #266
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Well, I prefer the retail copy since the OEM copy sticks with the computer and you cannot transfer it if your motherboard goes... but my University doesn't provide free copies of Windows, so I'm just going to have to suck it up and buy the Windows 7 Professional upgrade at 50% off before it expires... but $99 bucks is still a bit steep for the amount of features it have... and I doubt my university will provide a discounted copy of Windows 7 Professional fast enough after the release of Windows 7.

And also, I have two computers that I might want to upgrade and it will cost a fortune if I buy another license... I wish Microsoft would release a family pack so I don't have to pay so much money, but I doubt it because of their business practices.
Old 2009-07-01, 11:51   Link #267
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've been asking for a "household" license for years.... they're bastards in that regard.
Old 2009-07-06, 10:34   Link #268
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Well, I prefer the retail copy since the OEM copy sticks with the computer and you cannot transfer it if your motherboard goes...
WHA?!

I've gone through 3 motherboards...
Once I had to call since I overclocked and fried my motherboard pretty quickly.
They usually activate no problem after 6 months of activating the last install.
I have an OEM XP copy.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 11:09   Link #269
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz View Post
WHA?!

I've gone through 3 motherboards...
Once I had to call since I overclocked and fried my motherboard pretty quickly.
They usually activate no problem after 6 months of activating the last install.
I have an OEM XP copy.
It doesn't apply to motherboard replacement from defects, only if you completely upgrade to a motherboard with a different model, in which you susposed to buy a new licence... Unless they changed their policy.

"Q. Can a PC with OEM Windows XP have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer's computer and the end user may maintain the license for the original Microsoft® OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the end-user license agreement (EULA) and the support of the software covered by that EULA. The EULA is a set of usage rights granted to the end-user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on for that particular PC. The System Builder is required to support that license the software on that individual PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PC with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original System Builder, therefore, can not be expected to support this new PC that they in effect, did not manufacture."
Old 2009-07-10, 12:16   Link #270
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

OTOH, they are known to roll over and play dead if you're persistent about it even with OEM. I've had to call in twice to the mothership when replacing a motherboard. First time, no questions asked... the second time we chatted about what I was doing for a bit and I made some smartass comment questioning whether I was licensing firmware or an operating system and then they rolled over again.
Old 2009-07-11, 12:25   Link #271
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
All you have to say is I can't find that particular Motherboard no longer...
Thats it.

Then again every 6 mo to a year I reformat and change stuff around.
No problem.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 12:47   Link #272
Wirbelwind8
d-_-b

Im in love with Windows 7. I previously had Vista and had it for some time until I decided to install the Windows 7 RC and while everything appears to be similar, theirs something else that makes it "better"

Everything seems to be more responsive, efficient, and smoother. I still have to play around a bit to make sure Im not exaggerating since I did a fresh install a couple weeks ago.

So far I believe that if you have XP then its definitely worth the upgrade because I've heard they are dumping the support for XP after its release. Those with Vista and have problems or just dont like it should consider Windows 7. I wish I could say more, but this all I got for now.
Old 2009-07-11, 13:12   Link #273
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I decided not to get Windows 7 because it's not a worthwhile upgrade for me since it feels like a service pack of Vista... and Vista runs fine with my Unibody Macbook Pro with only 2GB of memory and I get decent gaming performance anyways, so it's not worth the extra money I could use to upgrade my RAM which won't cost nearly as much as Windows 7 and I barely use Windows except for games anyways... since I do everything else on Mac OS X Leopard. In my opinion, it's still too expensive even with 50% off (I need the Professional version) with the features it gives.

Also, there isn't much difference in memory usage in 7 compared to vista, it's only a small margin (4-6% difference, but it's not noticable) ... I notice this when I installed 7 on my Unibody Macbook Pro, but ended up reverting back to Vista X64 SP2...
Old 2009-07-11, 15:00   Link #274
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, win7 is more of a plus for those of us who stayed with win2k or xp in terms of glamour shinies, dx10, "game requires blah", whatever... value for people already using Vista in its most updated patches is fairly low.
Old 2009-07-15, 21:18   Link #275
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

It seems that Microsoft extended the Windows 7 reduced upgrade preorder price deal until August 9th since the threat of Chrome OS... but I'm still not getting it since it still cost more than just adding 4GB of DDR3 RAM which can give me the same performance benefit... and it's feels like a Vista Service Pack as mentioned before.

Also, in the UK version of Windows 7, the user needs to download a browser and install it since Internet Explorer is removed completely.
Old 2009-07-16, 02:04   Link #276
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Also, in the UK version of Windows 7, the user needs to download a browser and install it since Internet Explorer is removed completely.
Not just the UK - Europe in general. Blame the EU for that (and even when MS announced the aforementioned removal, they were still not satisfied).

Paradoxally, WMP was left untouched on the install DVD, although it once had been completely removed from the EU restrictions-compliant XP CD (Edition N if I'm not cheated by my memory).

Last edited by Renegade334; 2009-07-16 at 10:18.
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 02:20   Link #277
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Even more of a paradox is - how is the average user going to download IE (or any other browser)... without a browser?

...that's my main use of IE on a new system usually: grab Firefox.

On topic: I've been trying the Windows 7 RC release for the past week or so, and I like it. But it's still not something of a "must-have" upgrade. Unlike Vista however you don't have to dread getting Win7 pre-installed with your system...
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 07:23   Link #278
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Even more of a paradox is - how is the average user going to download IE (or any other browser)... without a browser?
wget? or some other probably too complicated for average user nonsense. As bad as it is, it does make sense to learn to live with out it. It also bashes the typical "every computer has it, so what if its bad" nonsense logic.
Old 2009-07-16, 07:26   Link #279
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Windows Update will just come save the day.
Old 2009-07-16, 10:23   Link #280
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Back in the Old Days... you got your browser via a CD so I'm sure something can be arranged to bootstrap the situation.

Personally, "removing the IE" from the OS shouldn't automatically mean it isn't available as an install on the OS disk.... but I think there's more than a little Ballmer ego driving their decision-making rather than customer service. :P