AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's - Rating
Perfect 10 16 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 20.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 12.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 6.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-03-21, 19:44   Link #401
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
She matched up to Signum just fine in the series, despite being distracted by Shamal draining Nanoha. She was only overmatched when Signum popped cartridges, and even then, managed to get a hit on Signum. It really felt like an emo moment that didn't need to be, that I feel detracts from her character. She was much stronger, physically and mentally, in the series.

Um, Fate's fight with Signum was pretty much already over by the time Nanohas linker core was stolen (in the series)-- this is not an emo moment, Fate's always emotional when someone she cares about is hurt. This was the same in series, except by the time Fate realized what happened, the wolkenritter were ready to depart.

Last edited by Demi.; 2013-03-21 at 20:21.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 19:46   Link #402
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Um, Fate's fight with Signum was pretty much already over by the time Nanohas linker core was stolen (in the series)-- this is not an emo moment, Fate's always emotional when someone she cares about is hurt. This was the same in series, except by the time Fate realized what happened, the wolkenritter were already gone.
Like I said, I didn't like how Fate was far more emotional in the movie compared to the series.

She was a lot more calm and composed in the series...

Not to mention Nanoha's determinator status CAME From the first fight of A's when she, with her Linker Core being drained, fired a SLB Plus through the barrier and shattered it.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 19:52   Link #403
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

She wasn't calm and composed after Nanoha lost her linker core. Whether it be the series, or the movie. Fate also screams Nanohas name and rushes to Nanoha in the series when her core is being drained. Except the fighting is over by then.

Last edited by Demi.; 2013-03-21 at 20:10.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 21:45   Link #404
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Um, Fate's fight with Signum was pretty much already over by the time Nanohas linker core was stolen (in the series)-- this is not an emo moment, Fate's always emotional when someone she cares about is hurt. This was the same in series, except by the time Fate realized what happened, the wolkenritter were ready to depart.
Watch episode 2 again, Demi. Once Shamal's hand goes through Nanoha's chest, we switch to Fate who is clashing with Signum, and she says, "Nano... ha?" And then Shamal tries again and begins draining the core. Fate shouts "Nanoha!" and rushes towards her, only to be blocked by Signum. Fate actually stops short, rather than let Signum get a hit on her. She is not knocked to the ground and totally defeated.

Ergo, the series Fate is stronger, physically and mentally, than the movie Fate. Yes, she was emotionally moved in the series, too... but not to the degree she lost it in the movie.

Okay, now on to my review. Keroko covered quite a bit of what I was going to say, so I'll only briefly go over a few things. And I can only evaluate the movie as someone who is very familiar with the series and source material.

Spoiler for Good:

Spoiler for Bad:

Spoiler for Personal Nitpicks:

Final remarks:

Once again, like the first movie, this was a movie made for Fate fans. Thus, any rating is subjective, based on what the watcher wants to get out of it. If you wanted focus on Fate and her moments with Nanoha, then Magical Girl Lyrical Fate-chan was for you. If you wanted decently animated fights between magical girls, this movie was probably for you. If you wanted a more balanced team-based affair, with development and screen time for more than a couple of characters, with several of them actually participating in combat, then this movie definitely was NOT for you. And I have to admit, I am in the latter category. I suppose I might have been able to accept this movie more, if Nanoha herself hadn't lost her two biggest moments in A's: her SLB in the beginning, and her win against Reinforce later. Or perhaps some better Hayate backstory, or some Chrono development in resolving his feelings toward the book.

Give me *something* besides fluff! If I wanted fluff between girls, there are tons of magical girl series out there already, like Sailor Moon or Pretty Cure. I want awesome from my Nanoha series.

When all is said in done, on an initial viewing, I'd probably give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. I'll have to think a bit before I finally rate it.

I will say, overall it was kinda decent, and if I were a first time watcher just coming off the first Nanoha movie, or didn't know much or expect much, I'd probably be satisfied.

And it looks like I'll have to go in an edit subtitles to correct names and grammar/spelling. If anyone is interested in a spiffied up subtitle file for the movie, let me know, and I'll send it to you once I complete it. Or if you have particular suggestions for rewording, you can let me know that, too, and I'll incorporate it.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 21:47   Link #405
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Watch episode 2 again, Demi. Once Shamal's hand goes through Nanoha's chest, we switch to Fate who is clashing with Signum, and she says, "Nano... ha?" And then Shamal tries again and begins draining the core. Fate shouts "Nanoha!" and rushes towards her, only to be blocked by Signum. Fate actually stops short, rather than let Signum get a hit on her. She is not knocked to the ground and totally defeated.

Ergo, the series Fate is stronger, physically and mentally, than the movie Fate. Yes, she was emotionally moved in the series, too... but not to the degree she lost it in the movie.
Sorry, but no. Fate stopped because Signum blocked her path. There was no fighting which took place at that point. Fate was calm and collected because Nanoha was not in a dire situation at the time she was fighting. All the action happened before that point.

Also how could you completely dismiss all of the extra scenes Reinforce had?
Old 2013-03-21, 21:49   Link #406
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Watched it and was pretty satisfied. It's not going to ever replace A's, though it's certainly a possible compliment to it. There was a lot of good, some bad, and some things I can't explain. Then again this is Nanoha...

So let's break it down:

Chrono, Amy, and Amy's Boobs

Chrono: Look at her face... look at her face

Maybe it's to make up for the lack of Lieze twins? Or is it the chest tumor disease that just happens to anime female characters? Sadly, that's the only thing I noticed about Amy with Chrono. They just don't end up doing much. Boobs or not sadly, Chono suffered heavily due to the Grahmn subplot being cut, and for some reason the movie could have easily linked his father's death to his own motivations. They spent like 30 seconds on it, which is 29 more than expected. But still. This really makes the world building a lot less working. And poor Chrono just sits on the bench even though they really could have used his abilities. What the fuck was he doing during the Reinforce fight?

Though to be fair she seems to have gotten thicker down there as well. Anyhow...

Trying to keep up with Saki

They're only friends. I promise!

Okay, honestly when I saw that, I laughed. The Nanofate moment at the start was just completely gratuitous. I mean the other ones were at least subtle with the holding hands, but this really was just going a bit too much in a movie that desperately needs time. Remember, A's doesn't fuck around. It doesn't have much filler, and this is a 2 1/2 hour long movie. It is just pure fanservice, even coming from a fan. And let's not even talk about that random kendo training scene. Nanoha pulls off some moves that would scare Mai Kawasumi away.

5 centimeters per befriending

Get that lens flare out of my Nanoha!

On the other hand, this movie does look really nice. I've never been too impressed with Nanoha backgrounds, but they really do provide atmosphere this time. This particular scene with Nanoha and Fate makes much more sense, going over their friendship in a more subtle fashion. And those outfits look great.

Yuno

You know what? Fuck you guys. Just running off like that. Next time someone tries to drain your linker core, I'm just going to sit here and laugh while you guys fail. DPS DPS DPS. "Yuno does 5 dps, let's kick him from the party!" All you guys care is about damage. Let's see what happens when your healer and shield protector goes on coffee break!

Well, at least Yuno does his researcher thing well enough. But still, just read above. Though it is hilarious to see what him not being there caused. Maybe he is important.

The first fight was terrible

You changed my intro fight to this? Alright, Nanoha, I'm hitting you for real!

Yea, Vita can't be happy with her entrance. The atmosphere is completely wrecked, with everyone saying the same lines from the tv series, but the action is sped up. It just makes no sense, and Vita was supposed to appear like a juggernaut. Here, she is mostly like VITA SMASH! Kinda okay later on, but not impressive at all. Meanwhile Fate comes in, sees Signum, and gets owned like that. Signum probaly laughed inside, though she knows one should never throw rocks at glass houses

Raising Heart and Bardiche are broken? Use duct tape

Overall, I think the autoupdate urging of their devices to be more compelling then whats-her-face conveniently having the right parts lying around. It really sours the impact of their upgrades.

The loyal knights

No, your package still hasn't arrived yet

I really do like how they're reimagining Hayate when the book was activated, plus a certain comedic moment. It's likable how the knights are dead serious, but Hayate turns their personalities around through her influence. I'd expect parts to be shafted when it covered their life and home but it was actually quite long and eventful. They really did build up a sense of family just as strongly as they did in the series. And this really helps establish Hayate as the core of A's.

Lindy

I challenge you to a Children's Card Game!

If only she did, it would be more interesting. Sadly, Lindy is the most shafted character in the movie here, and her purpose is dubious at best except to provide Fate with some sense of family. Oh, and Chrono, but you know.

Those two

Please, don't kick us out! Have these gifts!

Poor Arisa and Suzuka. There's just nothing for you guys to do. It almost feels like they're desperately trying to cling on whatever shred of screentime they have.

Signum, the badass

I'll crush you! Then I'll make my master happy. Then I'm going to go after people that bash me on the internet!

The Signum vs Fate here was actually well moved. Their original feud wasn't bad, with them respecting each other, but putting it near the final confrontation ups the stakes. Signum, being the stoic, even more stoic than Fate was, showing emotion is a sight to behold, and shit was thrown down. Signum's actions and mood are more subtle and they could have done more with her, but I actually think she fares better in the movie.

The Green Devil

So, you thought I was useless, huh?

Shamal is fucking awesome in this movie. She did more in this movie than both A's and StrikerS. Her original role of generic support is now full on action and definitely means business. While she does still have more parental traits of the four, now she's also a very credible antagonist.

ACS

There's nothing I can't break. Well, except maybe Tsuzuki's ego

It's now that I must commend on this movie's soundtrack. It is much better than the series and 1st movie which contained a lot of not so subtle SRW-like knockoff music. We have some nice guitar well, and this particular track that plays is suitable as all hell. The soundtrack is atmospheric and subtle. You won't notice it while watching it, but it's surely there.

Anyhow, while most people define Nanoha by her white devil scene, I've always prized this one in particular, which summarizes her character as an unyielding warrior of determination. She does seem a bit too wise, especially with her quote about death-- it sounds like something she'd say around StrikerS, but oh well, it's cool and shit. The soundtrack that accompanies it is the standout track to me.

Moving on

Goodbye...

This is probably one of the most controversial scenes as it's questionably long, and centers heavily on a Fate tangent. There are two major leadins to this scene and I actually do feel it's better here. One is that Fate outright states that she never really got over her mother, as shown by her ambivalent attitude when asked. After all, she was willing to plunge to her doom. The other is that the past can't be changed. And thus, she looked to the future.

What makes this particular scene better, is that the original scene just had the basic premise of Fate being presented with a false reality, and her choosing to accept the present instead of the past. Here, though, I think her reluctance to really move on, and then eventually choosing too to be more effective.

Hayate transforms

But... I'm already half transformed here!

Well, at least I can put all those jokes about the writers hating her. She finally does get a real transformation.

The hawtness that is Reinforce

Happiest tome in the world indeed

Holy shit, Reinforce looks spectacular in this movie. Most likely the sexiest one too, though this owes to most of the leads being like nine years old. Looks aside, I was wondering what the movie could spend its last hour on. Well, it definitely paid off. Reinforce was effectively humanized. While we always understood that Reinforce was only supposed to do what she was created for, and some of it was against her own will, it wasn't til through showing that we really see how Reinforce feels about Hayate, and that kind of loyalty is priceless. Hayate would of course return the same, and thus it's not easy to not feel for her. In the end, this also helps establish Hayate as a centerpiece that is also aware of this and acts accordingly rather than just being a passive victim.

Conclusion

We'll be going. Don't shaft us in your next script!

The movie lacks some of the worldbuilding and emotional impact A's had. Hayate breaking with the Wolkies disappearing is watered down due to the different cause, and stuff like Fate with Yuno breaking in and saving Nanoha, or the surprise of the new upgrades. The later does hurt the action a little, since the upgrades are almost by default instead of popping in and leveling the field like they did on A's. This also makes the movie have a much weaker start than A's had. On the other hand, I really did like how they focused on Hayate and Reinforce, and devoted a lot of screentime to make their relationships credible, and thus worthy of empathy. And quite a few awesome moments. though strangely enough, I think "happiest tome in the world" had more impact here.

In the end, 2nd A's is a bit strange. While Movie 1st sacrificed character development to be brisk and have fast paced action, 2nd A's sacrificed action to become a character driven piece. It certainly does make it unique in regards to Nanoha, and I do think it contributes to the overall narrative. It certainly isn't vital to watch this, but I felt it was definitely well made enough.

I'll rate this an 8.5/10.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-03-21 at 23:09.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 21:56   Link #407
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Nanoha pulls off some moves that would scare Mai Kawasumi away.
If I didn't see what she pulled off in Innocent, I would start screaming at how bullshit that is

After watching this, I agree that it lacks the emotional impact from the series and watching at how the pace went made me think that there's some part that I probably won't understand without watching the series first... but the action scenes made up for that. I really like how they pulled those battle scenes in this movie; I feel that's how it's supposed to be for aerial magic combat.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 21:56   Link #408
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, but no. Fate stopped because Signum blocked her path. There was no fighting which took place at that point. Fate was calm and collected because Nanoha was not in a dire situation at the time she was fighting. All the action happened before that point.
Not in a dire situation? She was being drained, just like in the movie! Hell, it was probably a more dire situation because she had a freakin' arm coming out of her chest!

And yes, Fate stopped short in the series, rather than get hit. In the movie, she didn't; she continued to charge and thus was hit. In the series, she was able to keep calm, despite what Nanoha was going through. There would have been fighting if Fate had continued on. Instead she stopped.

Are you trying to say that the movie was more dire than the series? That somehow, the lack of an arm coming out of her chest made it worse? If so, you and I would have very different definitions of "worse."

But, let's recap, and see if we can at least agree on the sequence of events here:

Nanoha starts charging her SLB
She's stopped by Shamal's hand coming out of her chest (missed the core)
Switch to show Fate clashed with Signum, as the former says, "Nano...ha?"
Shamal says, "Oops" and recalculates to grab the core to start draining.
Fate screams "Nanoha!" and rushes towards her
Fate stops as Signum appears in her path.
(Fate does *not* at anytime resume rushing toward Nanoha)
Nanoha fires her SLB on her own.

Do you agree with this? Because anyone who watches episode 2 can confirm this order of events.

Quote:
Also how could you completely dismiss all of the extra scenes Reinforce had?
Not so much dismiss, as they didn't do too much for me. I mean, we had the one dream sequence at the start which was in the sound stages, but that ultimately didn't have much to do with anything since Hayate didn't remember it (at least, until near the end). Instead, it actually took away from Hayate, since it made it seem that Hayate was kind to the knights solely because Reinforce told her to.

But what I think you took out of my review, and that I can clarify, is the lack of Hayate/Reinforce interacting throughout much of the movie. As in the series, they only really interacted in the end. I will admit, the movie did do things a bit better, since there was more Reinforce, but that also introduced a plot hole: Why did the knights not tell Hayate about her? They had no reason not to.

Last edited by Kaijo; 2013-03-21 at 22:07.
Old 2013-03-21, 22:08   Link #409
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Sounds right, and proves my point. As soon as Fate realizes what happened to Nanoha the fight stopped. She even looked towards Nanoha with a worried expression while having her final clash with Signum. All of the damage she did to Signum happened pre-linker core stolen.
Fate barely fought at all before Nanohas linker core was stolen in the movie, so she came into the battle concerned for Nanoha, and not the battle with Signum.
Old 2013-03-21, 22:40   Link #410
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

Signum, the badass

I'll crush you! Then I'll make my master happy. Then I'm going to go after people that bash me on the internet!

The Signum vs Fate here was actually well moved. Their original feud wasn't bad, with them respecting each other, but putting it near the final confrontation ups the stakes. Signum, being the stoic, even more stoic than Fate was, showing emotion is a sight to behold, and shit was thrown down. Signum's actions and mood are more subtle and they could have done more with her, but I actually think she fares better in the movie.
Rejoice Aki, your favorite character is badass.

Quote:
Instead, it actually took away from Hayate, since it made it seem that Hayate was kind to the knights solely because Reinforce told her to.
She really didn't remember what Reinforce said.
Old 2013-03-21, 22:46   Link #411
Algent

Quote:
That scene is one of the best of the anime, it was here to say "Nanoha is a Monster" to everyone and I was really waiting for it so I really am disappointed .

It seem I'm not the only one who noticed re-used lines, it didn't even seem they re-recorded them.
Algent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 22:57   Link #412
Justin_Brett

That didn't make him shut up in Force, you really think it will here?
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 23:00   Link #413
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I assume you're referring to Sankster, but to which post?
Old 2013-03-21, 23:00   Link #414
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

No is Aki, he is the ultimate Signum's fan boy.

I just hate poor stories.
Old 2013-03-21, 23:02   Link #415
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Oh right, Aki. How could I forget.

You need to watch the movie Sankster, we need your take on it.
Old 2013-03-21, 23:04   Link #416
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Ugh, spare us. >.>

Can't watch the movie yet; no room on the comp.
Old 2013-03-21, 23:09   Link #417
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Sounds right, and proves my point. As soon as Fate realizes what happened to Nanoha the fight stopped. She even looked towards Nanoha with a worried expression while having her final clash with Signum. All of the damage she did to Signum happened pre-linker core stolen.
Fate barely fought at all before Nanohas linker core was stolen in the movie, so she came into the battle concerned for Nanoha, and not the battle with Signum.
The original point I was making, was that Fate was more evenly matched with Signum in the series. Here, she gets owned, easily. Your point is that she was in constant worry mode, which I can kinda see... but that still doesn't excuse it totally. Fate still lost it in the movie, while she held it more together in the series.

The basic point that series Fate was stronger, physically and mentally, still holds out. THAT is the point I am making. In the movie, she gets distracted and owned. True, she is more of a match pre-Nanoha draining, but that same calm is present even during the series Nanoha drain.

Ergo, Series Fate is stronger than Movie Fate. She is able to keep it together enough to not get owned while Nanoha is being drained. You have to acknowledge at least that much. In both the movie and the series, Fate charges at Nanoha while she is being drained. In the series, she stops. In the movie, she keeps going and gets swatted down.

Honestly, Demi, when it comes to Fate, can you really not see any criticism at all? I know how you feel. I used to be an Akane fanatic in the Ranma 1/2 fandom. I remember not being able to take any criticism of her character, no matter how minor. I look back now, and regret what I did and how blind I had been, and I'd hate to see the same thing happen to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
She really didn't remember what Reinforce said.
I know that, but if you continue on, you see the knights ask if the Book has ever spoken to Hayate, even in her dreams, and she replies that she isn't sure, but that she has to take care of them. The implication is while she lacks direct memories of the encounter, the overall imperative is surfacing: to be kind to the knights and make them happy. It casts some doubt as to whether Hayate was acting that way towards them because of who she is (and since we never get any real Hayate backstory, we don't know really how she is), or because she is subtly being influenced by Reinforce's request.

I was pointing it out as something that didn't really need to be there, that at least has a hint of detraction. And also of something that could have been put to better use, giving us some flashback of Hayate that would explained why she would have taken to them as she did.

It's not a major thing, I suppose. Just something that bugged me.
Old 2013-03-21, 23:11   Link #418
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
That didn't make him shut up in Force, you really think it will here?
i'll save my humble opinion about Signum's performance in this movie once i get a chance to watch it.

As far as i've read it seems she had a strong start but then she was put out of focus, let's see how much he can get from the small spotlight she received xDU

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 23:12   Link #419
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
There is a speculation thread for the movie that should be used if you haven't seen it yet. Using the main thread when subs first come up is not a good idea.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 23:16   Link #420
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Do we have another thread?

Because I will watch the movie and give you my take on it.