AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky☆Star - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 197 43.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 127 28.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 72 16.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 5.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 3.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 0.67%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.67%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.22%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 1.33%
Voters: 450. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-01-21, 12:58   Link #121
JustInn14
moo

There is no Season 2, as of now. Be happy with the one season it got. ok?
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 01:30   Link #122
Detheal

A funny (hilarious at times) anime with unique characters and some interesting anime references.
The Voice Actors absolutley make this show.

Animation Quality: 9/10
Characters: 10/10
Voice Actors: 10/10
Script: 8/10
Editing: 9/10
Emotional Involvement: 8/10

Overall: 10/10 (slightly biased opinion though).
Detheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 12:57   Link #123
hiroto
every schoolday from 8!

my kind of anime

I gave this series a 10. Sure there are a lot of things which aren't as great about it, but it just is my kind of anime. I love the randomness, but at the same time the normal...ness(?) of it. The jokes just do it for me and so do the animations. The characters are just so recognizable (for me that is). I just love to watch this anime laid back and enjoying the jokes and punch lines.
hiroto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 02:50   Link #124
AnimeFangirl

I gave it 7/10, good. It was good while it lasted and I enjoyed Akira's scenes the most.
Old 2008-01-26, 03:19   Link #125
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

So, can we please sit down and focus on the thread's topic? This place is meant to review and eviscerate Lucky Star, if you wish you might do speculations on how you wish a season 2 would be, but for Heaven's sake, please don't state the presence of a Season 2 as a certain fact.

In absence of factual elements stating it, said rumour is just going to spread misinformation at the moment. If there will be a Season 2, we'll certainly learn about it, for the time being please let's be cautious about what we say. It's just common sense, guys (other than being off topic as I was stating above). I deleted a bunch of unnecessary posts, and here's a quote of three of them which perfectly sum up the status quo as of today, january 26th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchipride View Post
Would they make a S2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There's no reason they couldn't once enough new manga material was generated... the manga is covering the girls last year in high school so the "new gang" would have to be the main focus of the second series. The Original Gang could make frequent appearances though as they enter college or the work force.

It just depends on the persistence of the buzz and interest in the comic and the related merchandise. I'm going to give it less than 50% though because of past observation of the anime industry. They just don't often tend to do things like that and when they do, it frequently falls flat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInn14 View Post
There is no Season 2, as of now. Be happy with the one season it got. ok?
That's it, thank you

Last edited by Pellissier; 2008-01-26 at 04:19. Reason: typo >_<
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 12:01   Link #126
Dee Eon

A New Future In Resurrected Anime??

Hi All!

Well, hope I don't get spanked for posting this here, but to me it kind of fits into the Lucky Star postmortem soberness among some here. But perk up! Soon we might be treated to a new fresh crop of resurrected anime that doesn't have to heed a 'season 2'!

Here in Boulder my relative once ago gave me a corporate peek into what could also spin-off a future in "hijacked" discontinued/orphaned anime by using what I'll loosely call 'extrapolated positioning'. It's not 'morphing' though the technique's related, where you scan into a computer all the poses and positions and gestures of an animated character even off video then use a mouse or drawing pencil to guide the character through its paces and the computer extrapolates the right pose for the desired effect and drawing style.

What I saw were just mono-colored outline-like characters but their interactions were kind of cool (though I didn't really appreciate just how much at the time.) Like say you want your character to walk across a room, and the extrapolation follows your mouse with its own customized character stride. The characters eyes can always track another and you can make their limbs contact at certain speeds and they 'gesture' and react in kind and super-synchs with any language . Right now it's way way too slow to create on PCs, but that'll pass and my relative says there'd be no reason why you can't easily create anime-grade images (hinted that'd be a cinch if your goal's high-quality Disney-grade work). Using the example of fan-dubbed anime to build on, the day may come in which there are internet Lucky Star anime 'clones' virtually indistinguishable from the real thing created by non-profit hard-core anime pirate 'houses' of hyper-fan artists who'll have their own critical fandom base much the same Kyoto Animations does. (like Star Trek fans had fan industry things going along these lines in old pre-web days).

I really look forward to that happening even if artists studios wouldn't naturally! Diversity in art and expression's always a good thing! What's really far out is my relative hinted that what they're doing for images, someone somewhere else might well be doing for speech. These are going to be very interesting coming years!!

Dee
Dee Eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 14:32   Link #127
kasey_da_queen

I gave this series a 10. I love slice of life anime and this is my type of show. I do hope for a season 2 because there are ISSUES that I want to see solved...... *cough* Kagami *cough*. Uh, I love how I was able to relate to the characters that always helps and this series was very fun to watch. I really want a second season or some OVAS at least though.
kasey_da_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 15:52   Link #128
T4K3Y4
My Otome~

Well - it's my second favourite anime - so I think it's very good. It's pitful for me, when some ppl think Minami-ke is better than LS (gosh - it is similar, but much worse)...

Animation Quality: 7/10
Characters: 9++/10 (Akira...)
Voice Actors: 9++/10 (Akira once again)
Script: 9/10
Editing: 9/10
Emotional Involvement: 9/10

Overall: 9+/10 (more to 10 than 9)

And also i make my choise on almost all polls on anime reactor for LS (else Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, but we are not talking about TwKS) as the best TV series year 2007...
All interested should vote too: http://forum.anime-reactor.net/viewf...943c799222a67d (only registered users can vote :/)
T4K3Y4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 02:43   Link #129
kyoulover
He who despise the world

Send a message via Yahoo to kyoulover
10/10

a truly great slice of life anime

i really like this series

full of moe, pretty funny, etc ^^;;
kyoulover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 03:13   Link #130
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
9/10. Excellent besides the first few episodes
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 13:18   Link #131
sosbrigademember
Banned

Send a message via AIM to sosbrigademember
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeshoDesho View Post
Animation Quality:8
Voice Actors:10
Script:8
Editing:9
Emotional Involvement:10
Total:9/10

as now,my anime of the year,Two of Kyoani in a row
the involvement i have with this series was incredible,maybe even more that with Haruhi
Voice Actors:10
Script:9
Emotional Involvement:9
Total:10

I dont give many series a perfect number, but Lucky Star is perfect in the whole moe catagory, and evrything about it.
sosbrigademember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 11:50   Link #132
Autumn Demon
~

ahh, it's been a few months since i've seen this anime, but recently i've been thinking about some of the live action episode endings. that guy singing hit anime songs was hilarious; i think he was the voice actor of the guy in lucky channel, and the girl was the voice actor of the girl in lucky channel, maybe? ahh, funny stuff.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 16:00   Link #133
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You would be correct. Both are the voice actors for the two characters portrayed in Lucky*Channel.
Old 2008-03-25, 14:57   Link #134
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
I recently finished Lucky Star and I enjoyed it. I was a fan of Azumanga and heard this was similar so I decided to check it out. One of my friends didn't like it because it got hyped too much so I kept my expectations reasonably low.

Tbh, a lot of the pleasure I got out of this show was the interaction between Konata and Kagami. Then again I'm partial to tsundere. Besides that there were a lot of amusing moments and some truly brilliant ones (Initial D parody). The show gave me a relaxed feeling reminiscent of Azumanga.

One of my complaints is that I think it leans a little heavily on anime/Jp "insider" jokes. Even though I consider myself decently aware of anime and JP culture, I found myself looking up a lot of stuff. It gave me a new appreciation for those scenes the second time around, but I was staring blankly a decent amount the first time around.

Additionally, I wish they developed some of the other characters a bit more. I know it's based off of the 4-koma, but I would've liked to seen more substantial scenes with Misao, Miyuki, etc. Lastly, Lucky Channel got old rather quickly...although Shiraishi saved it imo.

Personal enjoyment: 9/10
Overall rating: 8/10
Xellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 15:04   Link #135
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's the unfortunate part... there really *is* a lot of material for all the characters... (five volumes of 4-koma collections) but the Lucky Channel segment, while initially funny, became mostly a time budget boat anchor that reduced airtime for many characters.

The anime/jp insider jokes are almost completely anime-only. While they were often funny, I think it will lead to disappointment for people who go on to read the manga expecting those "jokes".

Azumanga Lite And Updated wouldn't be a bad description and yes, the interactions between Kagami and Konata are supreme -- but then *all* the characters have delicious moments in the manga 4-koma that weren't animated.
Old 2008-03-25, 15:16   Link #136
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
I've only started to read the 4-koma after watching the series much like I did with Azu and I haven't gotten far yet. I've found that it's usually best to watch the anime then read the manga/light novel since reading the original material first usually ruins my enjoyment of the series. It happened to me with Love Hina and I couldn't watch Negima either.
Xellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 12:23   Link #137
TehSanity
Lurker

Animation Quality: 8.
Meh, no faults. But nothing spectacular in HD either. Obviously, just 4 girls talking isn't going to require some hard animation work.

Voice Actors: 10
Quite a few seiyuu's have real talent. Aya, how did you even get that Konata voice? It's so different from anything else you've ever voiced. Misao's voice was laughter the moment I heard it. I can keep this going for every other character.

Script: 8.5 rounded up to 9
Random conversations made by ordinary high school girls. Jokes are varying in funniness but some just could make you die with laughter. However, it is not easy making some pretty nice script from nothing but the fact that 4 high school girls are talking to each other.

Editing: 6
I guess. Is this even applicable? Does an anime with just girls talking to each other require extensive editing? I guess this could get a 6 for a lack of editing.

Emotional Involvement: 9
I got hooked. Period. I have actually learnt a lot about Japanese culture and people through this anime. It is rare to see anime characters that come close to actually exsisting. Although I feel somethings are missing... (more Konami moments, more Hiyori's yuri vision, etc.), I feel satisfied by the end. Most good moments sent me to the floor in laughter, I didn't expect the tear jerker that came with Kanata's appearance.

Overall score: 10, I am biased and this is not an average. This was just the score I had to give to one of my favourite anime of all time.

I don't think there would be a second season soon. (With KyoAni occupied with more Haruhi and more Clannad) I still keep my hopes high and pray for another. It obviously couldn't be a direct continuation of the girl's lives in college. However, there's plenty of time for future episodes to fill in all three of the girl's years. I'll keep myself occupied with KyoAni's current awsome works.
TehSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 19:59   Link #138
Captain Spyro
Captain of the Dragonfury

Send a message via ICQ to Captain Spyro Send a message via AIM to Captain Spyro Send a message via MSN to Captain Spyro Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Spyro
Animation Quality: 8

Simply put, the animation does not have to be great or whatnot, it just has to fit what the show is trying to portray. Overall, the animation style isn't overly detailed, but I believe that is the way it should be. It just feels...fitting, especially with all of the colors involved.

Voice Actors: 10

Spot on. The voice actors made their respective characters feel alive. What more can I ask for?

Script: 8

Not perfect, but it was a fun ride. When I looked at comments on the first few episodes, I was surprised, but I will agree it got better around episodes 5 & 6.

Editing: 9

Was fine, as far as I can tell. However, like with Higurashi and Claymore, there is not much I can say about it.

Emotional Involvement: 10

When sheer hilarity fits with other everyday emotions, you know something is being done right. I especially want to point to the episode (episode 20 or 21, I think) where we were greeted by Kanata's spiritual presence. That entire scene was touching, but funny at the same time. I love a series that can do something like that.

Overall, I enjoyed the ride with Konata, Kagami, Tsukasa, and Miyuki. From the little bits of it I saw in AMV Hell IV, I had a feeling I would enjoy it. I did, immensely. I now await the US DVD release. Lucky Star will be the first series I will follow through DVD release. Sure, I've bought anime DVDs in the past (Escaflowne, Lodoss, and Outlaw Star), but this will be the first time I will follow the series as it is released.

Overall, 9 out of 10.

PS.
-Once again, I can relate to Kuroi-sensei. Apparently, I was auto-logged out and I hit submit. Boy, glad my message was still here or I'd be in bed with tears.
Captain Spyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 09:17   Link #139
yjs

Gets a solid 8/10 from me.

Animation Quality - 7/10
As expected from Kyoto Animation, consistency is absolute and whilst the show has simplistic artwork it still looks great. There are a few scenes which are downright beautiful though, but Lucky Star as a source material does not give much potential to mind-blowing art, at least in comparison to Kanon/Air/Clannad.

Voice Actors - 10/10
I don't think I need to elaborate on this one. I hope the VAs had a blast with this one.

Script - 8/10
Some episodes were perfectly written, others not so much. However, I was thoroughly entertained by most of them which is rare, since I often avoid episodic shows.

Emotional Involvement - 8/10
This is tough, although I didn't shed tears or became empathetic etc, I still loved nearly all of the characters. The soft moments with Konata's family and the Konata-Kagami friendship were great, and I wish those two would express their love for each other (as friends of course) properly!

I totally did not mind the Kyoto Animation-produced anime placement and jokes! As someone who enjoys all of Kyoani's work, this is natural I suppose. Overall, I love Lucky Star and nearly all of its characters.
yjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 14:39   Link #140
Teh2ndrunner
History Fanatic

General impression of the series:

At first I thought this anime would be a whole lota fan service I wouldn't get and in general an average anime which I wouldn't see to the end.

I couldn't have been more wrong , every episode I was impressed with the sheer randomness of the script , in fact the dialogue was so pointless ( eg. talking about food for the first 5 min of the 1st ep or somet) , but it managed to keep me entertained for the full 20 min episode every time. The show also hit the nail on the head when it tackled the series aspects such as how life with your siblings can be rough or talking about a dead relative - not too much of this thank the lord but the tiny amount made for a nice break from the random humour.

Thoughts about the animation quality.

Excellent backgrounds and item animation , however poor character animations - thought they were too childish IMO but not too bad.

What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better :

Hmm , well the character design could have been a little less simple. Something I would definitely improve was the ending which was too short ( they should have gone for a 30 min last eppy like with FMP TSR ) and I feel it left a hole where there should have been a far more heartwarming and satisfying ending.

Animation Quality: 8 - didn't like the character design too much
Voice Actors: 9 - fitted the characters well , even with the dub the voices weren't bad.
Script: 1 - twas random lol but I loved it ( thus the 1 for script content )
Emotional Involvement: 8 - I wanted each character to have a happy ending and smiled at certain bits which were similar to what I have experianced in RL.

Overall= 8 - I would give it 10 but I have seen more in depth story lines which lucky Star certainly lacked. The anime was almost like FMP fumoffu with every episode being unrelated.
Teh2ndrunner is offline   Reply With Quote