Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2017-03-02, 19:09   Link #41
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2017-03-02, 19:42   Link #42
Dextro
He Without a Title

Hum... That artstyle reminds me a but of the old cartoon network stuff like Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls with those sharp edges all around. I'm also not particularly sold on the voices for the kids, especially the little duck girl whose name I completely forgot. She sounded incredibly annoying in that trailer with how overhyped she was. The kids themselves also sounded like a bit weird to me. They sounded like annoying teenagers instead of kids.

Well, at least Scrooge and Launchpad both sounded OK to me. Let's see how the actual episodes end up.
Old 2017-03-02, 19:48   Link #43
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Hey, Scrooge should sound OK - he's The Doctor (and the best one since the reboot).

I'm happy for DT fans... But this more than anything makes me sad we don't have a TaleSpin revival. That was a fantastic (and anime-influenced) cartoon.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-02, 21:54   Link #44
Toukairin
Banned

David Tennant's voice for this showed a mix of his roles as Doctor Who and Jimmy Murphy. That's solid for a start, so I look forward to see the final product.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-04, 08:10   Link #45
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Hum... That artstyle reminds me a but of the old cartoon network stuff like Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls with those sharp edges all around.
I wouldn't go that far. Genndy Tartakovsky's style is far more radical than that; it's so minimalist it's almost tailored for Flash animation.

The new Disney style is more rooted in the latest modern cartoon trends with angular/elliptical lines (rather than round, as with the previous DT) and "flattened" shading, like, say, Ben10 or even the Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated. It's nevertheless true that they have ditched the older, rounder drawing style that was distinctive of the 1980s-1990s Disney cartoons.
Old 2017-03-04, 15:45   Link #46
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
...especially the little duck girl whose name I completely forgot. She sounded incredibly annoying in that trailer with how overhyped she was.
I was reminded of Scrappy Doo. This is not a good thing...
Old 2017-03-07, 04:16   Link #47
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I was reminded of Scrappy Doo. This is not a good thing...
SAME HERE. I know a good portion of folks already disliked Webby in the original cartoon, but... she seems like she'll be worse here based on that trailer. I'm sorry.
Old 2017-06-15, 11:03   Link #48
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Theme song.

Old 2017-06-15, 12:35   Link #49
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Theme song.

Wh... why is Webby's grandma so buff? So not only can't Webby just be a cute girl anymore (really dislike how she looks and talks) but now they have to make her grandma into a hulk-like monster? By comparison the rest actually look and sound just fine with their redesigns.
Old 2017-06-15, 20:44   Link #50
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The canon always had the triplets being horrible monsters metaphorically. They just decided to bring Webby in at the same level as the other three.

They are kids, and kids are not as sweet as we like to think they are.

And bulky Grandma is to have her be relevant. She is meant to be coming along on adventures and she needs to guard the kids.
Old 2017-06-15, 21:03   Link #51
Destiny_Sword

They decided to remake the version. I really love the art style and really remind me the old days. I would prefer 2d cartoon for some remakes like this one.
Destiny_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-16, 03:04   Link #52
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The canon always had the triplets being horrible monsters metaphorically. They just decided to bring Webby in at the same level as the other three.
In the original Al Taliaferro/Bob Karp canon, the triplets are indeed little hellions - mischievous, truant pranksters that always get into trouble with their uncle Donald (in the Donald Duck-centric comic strips, at least).

In Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge-centric stories, however, they're more mature and responible, especially after the Junior Woodchucks thing was introduced. They do show, from time to time, some mischief, though.

But then back then, Huey, Dewey and Louie were completely interchangeable with no definite personality attached to each one; the new Disney series have started to differentiate them and give each his own quirks.
Old 2017-06-16, 03:17   Link #53
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Duck Tales wooowooo terereren!

They kept the original theme song, slightly remixed. This is gonna be awesome. I used to own the fucking laser discs of the series when they were thing, even the movie. And for those too young to know:

MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-16, 05:20   Link #54
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Wh... why is Webby's grandma so buff? So not only can't Webby just be a cute girl anymore (really dislike how she looks and talks) but now they have to make her grandma into a hulk-like monster? By comparison the rest actually look and sound just fine with their redesigns.
Because in this day and age in Modern Western Society, if you have the GALL to write ANY female character as the LEAST bit loving kind and gentle and NOT a violent go getter independent man-smasher who can do anything and everything better than the XY's, out come the "you're a sexist misogynist" accusation from the woodwork of bitter man haters whose fathers did not get them that pony at sweet sixteen.

Heck, this is the exact same reason why despite being a Fearless Leader and Peerless Warrior who is in fact a *Superior* Swordsman to her husband, Yuuki Asuna of "Sword Art Online" is torn to pieces by know-nothing western-feminist critics for having the audacity to be a gentle, compassionate, beautiful, sensitive adorable and kind hearted girl who is (Holy Virginia Wolfe!) a Loving Mother And Wife, who (gasp!) dares to shed tears of compassion and kindness.

The same reason they thought having four ugly man-hating gorillas as leads will make the feminist ghost-smashers ripoff (I refuse to insult the original by using its name to describe them) a progressive and beloved movie. What? That crime-against-humanity and decency FAILED? . Oh that's their funeral, and that's wonderuful!

Last edited by Yui Is My Wife; 2017-06-16 at 05:32.
Yui Is My Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-16, 07:15   Link #55
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

They are kids, and kids are not as sweet as we like to think they are.

And bulky Grandma is to have her be relevant. She is meant to be coming along on adventures and she needs to guard the kids.
Yet in the old series the grandma came along on trips frok time to time and even was the one that set all of them (even the adults) straight and they respected her. So again, I don't see the reason why. A grandma figure is suppose to feel and look like a caring and loving character, not a roided out monstrosity.

@Yui is My Wife

I am sorry but you lost me at Asuna. In my opinion anyone from that series can barely even be called a character, but let's not get into that, you have your opinion and I have mine and that's fine.

As for the rest, sad but true (I wouldn't put it that harshly at the moment though, I would need a bit more insight as to why they thought this was a good idea), you can see this happen a lot nowadays due to misguided ideals.

At least the opening song turned out good.
Old 2017-06-16, 15:08   Link #56
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
In the original Al Taliaferro/Bob Karp canon, the triplets are indeed little hellions - mischievous, truant pranksters that always get into trouble with their uncle Donald (in the Donald Duck-centric comic strips, at least).

In Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge-centric stories, however, they're more mature and responible, especially after the Junior Woodchucks thing was introduced. They do show, from time to time, some mischief, though.

But then back then, Huey, Dewey and Louie were completely interchangeable with no definite personality attached to each one; the new Disney series have started to differentiate them and give each his own quirks.
I was always more partial to the Carl Barks side of things so maybe that's why I'm a bit put off by this take on the triplets. I never did give much attention to the Donald Duck-centric stories so maybe that's why I never even considered that take on them.
Old 2017-06-17, 01:43   Link #57
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, Al Taliaferro and Bob Karp essentially concentrated on comic strips, very short stories and gags, so their take on the triplets is more comedy-oriented: the three spend their time trying to skip class, pranking their uncle or getting in trouble with him.

Carl Barks was more into adventure tales and globe-trotting, and for that, the triplets had to mature a bit to make the stories work. Their relationship with their uncle is less antagonistic, and Uncle Scrooge plays a stabilizing/leading role in the family.

Don Rosa, on the other hand, took Carl Barks' principles (he did, by his own admission, aim to become the next Carl Barks) and amped them all the way up to 11, going even as far as incorporating real-world history (The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck) and penning some of the most visceral and endearing stories you'll find in the non-movie Disney lore (until DR, I never thought I'd come across an Uncle Scrooge story that'd actually make me tear up o_O).

Last edited by Renegade334; 2017-06-17 at 02:07.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-18, 16:09   Link #58
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Webby in the original series was only added so that they'd have a female character and it was pretty obvious that no one in the writing staff really cared about her. She was one of the worst characters in the entire series (along with Doofus and Bubba), any change to her character will be an improvement given that she made basically every single scene she was in unbearable with her cloying babyish speech and personality. I can't believe people are criticizing the new version of her as some agenda driven scheme when her old character was probably only created because some marketing exec wanted her.

Last edited by sona-nyl; 2017-06-18 at 17:10.
sona-nyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-18, 17:02   Link #59
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Apparently, another of Carl Barks' classic characters, Glittering Goldie (if you don't know who that is, it's Scrooge's canon love interest) will also appear in the new DT series, but...she kinda got a makeover, which I'm not sure I like, since it seems to do away with Goldie's original background.

Spoiler for What Don Rosa added to GG's story:

You can accuse me of being too nostalgic and adverse to change, though. I don't mind.

EDIT: and it's not the end of it. Apparently Flintheart Glomgold is now obese and Scottish, instead of being a lean, South African zillionaire.
Old 2017-06-18, 17:09   Link #60
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

They've kinda implied that the new Flintheart unlike the old Ducktales one actually is South African but is basically pretending to be Scottish to imitate Scrooge.