Notices

Old 2011-05-04, 01:08   Link #1
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Secret World (MMO by Funcom)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_World

http://www.thesecretworld.com/

Been following development on this for a few years.... it may actually release this fall. Something that may actually be different than the usual fantasy MMO (wow/rift/adnauseum) or asian f2p MMO. Uses the ultra-realistic Dreamworld engine.
Old 2011-05-04, 08:27   Link #2
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Have been looking forward to it as well.

Hope it's F2P.

Probably not though. lol.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 08:30   Link #3
Elvin

Frankly I half-expect this to disappoint. They raised too much hype based off a few trailers with barely any info on how gameplay works.
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 09:17   Link #4
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Frankly, I think it will have very good potential, buuut...yeah I just think the online community will kill this game. When there's any kind of gameplay besides button mashing and grinding, people always go "OMG you haven't read the FAQs yet? N00000B gtfo my party!". Well, something along these lines^^
Single player option is one I'll have to play though.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 09:50   Link #5
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Wait, is it based on NWOs? Each having their different discipline?

This sounds too much like an online version of Deus Ex.

P.S Anyone else took the quiz? I got Dragon lol.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 22:41   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Wait, is it based on NWOs? Each having their different discipline?

This sounds too much like an online version of Deus Ex.

I figure it won't release til 2012 for "end of world" purposes... but yeah, there's some Deux Ex feel, a bit of Hellgate, and a half dozen other ideas (including the table top games Paranoia, Illuminati!, etc)

I'm just ready to play a modern period MMO with some complexity. This might be as close as it gets. I'm wondering how much of the world they'll really model (though I hear the DC Universe has some amazing dimensions to cityscapes).

I haven't taken the quiz.... but I could roleplay any of the 3 big factions

(edit: took the quiz.... smack in the center of "Dragon" faction. Figures, but however, in the German MMO called Neocron I played a corporatist assassin - so it goes)

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-05-04 at 22:55.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 06:56   Link #7
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I figure it won't release til 2012 for "end of world" purposes... but yeah, there's some Deux Ex feel, a bit of Hellgate, and a half dozen other ideas (including the table top games Paranoia, Illuminati!, etc)
Oh, you can't forget Delta Green, as long as we're here... but yeah, you've pretty much nailed it.

Quote:
I'm just ready to play a modern period MMO with some complexity...
Agreed; more modern-day/near-future games are always welcome. As for how it plays, I think some answers can be found amidst GameTrailers' collected footage.

On another note: as for the factions' battledress (which I understand only crop up in certain instances), they're all nice, though I'm not too crazy about the Illuminati's gas masks; would prefer a half-balaclava (see: 'old-school' Cobra battledress) - in concert with the coat, you'd have a Syndicate nod of sorts going on.

Spoiler for reference imagery:
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 08:18   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I’m with Elvin. I expect, at least in some areas, it will disappoint. The (type of) hype they are raising isn’t all too healthy to have either. The idea of no level-point progression (or alternative to level-point progression) is something that’s been (finally) coming to mainstream and frankly I’m not so sure it’s that easy to pull of like they make it out to be. I mean you can’t just not have any kind of progression at all, that would be just two steps back. So what are you gonna do, have exp pretty much gather like gold? Equipment based progression? Action style progression, which is just you being better at what you do?

You then have the environment. I haven’t really seen anything really appealing (yet). In some of the videos that actually showed what I think was ingame footage everything seemed kind of plain. Really really plain. If anyone has images of skyscrapers, or at least reasonably tall buildings, I would like to see them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel
Single player option is one I'll have to play though.
Assuming it has one. A lot of MMOs now tend to be party or you are missing out on just about everything (except for the tutorial). Though in some games (Allods comes to mind) you can’t even (fully complete) the tutorial alone. Personally I prefer small parties, something like party of two or three or just solo and the whole MMO experience being more social then needy, but oh well.
Quote:
Same. Somehow I expect most people got dragon though. It’s pretty much the “lesser evil” out of the three.
Old 2011-05-05, 08:29   Link #9
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Been following development on this for a few years.... it may actually release this fall.
Heh, me too. I was a big fan of Anarchy Online and was piqued by news of this project some time ago.

But like many, I think it's been over-hyped. A "classless", no-level RPG system has been used before (Ultima Online anyone?) but that by no means eliminate the grind. You'd simply be grinding for different things (money and skill points most likely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Quote:
Same. Somehow I expect most people got dragon though. It’s pretty much the “lesser evil” out of the three.
Quote:
(edit: took the quiz.... smack in the center of "Dragon" faction. Figures, but however, in the German MMO called Neocron I played a corporatist assassin - so it goes)
I've been "Dragon" ever since Funcom introduced the factions some one and a half years ago. What else could a proud Asian be, really?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 11:54   Link #10
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Sounds awfully ambitious. Though I have my fingers crossed and I hope this game succeeds. It somehow appeals to me quite a bit but at this point there are too many unknowns :X
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 12:08   Link #11
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I've been "Dragon" ever since Funcom introduced the factions some one and a half years ago. What else could a proud Asian be, really?

something they actually belive in?

I'm a good person, i will always play a good person so I went with templars.
Old 2011-05-05, 13:22   Link #12
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Quote:
I thought I would get Illuminati since I am a rather mercenary person.

Nonetheless, methinks any MMO released in 2012 will have to contend with Diablo 3 for players, no matter how powerful the engine is. Then again, I don't think I would have time for any MMO since I would be working full-time and schooling part-time by them.

Not at least until the end of 2013.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-05-05, 18:08   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
something they actually belive in?

I'm a good person, i will always play a good person so I went with templars.
Depends on how you define "good" Apparently the Templars are willing to burn down an entire town and massacre everyone in it to eliminate one witch. Righteous zealotry. I'm not sure you really call any faction "Good" or necessarily "Evil" .... its kind of "asian lit 101" in that regard. They just have different motives and goals and you decide what appeals to you more.

"Classless" mechanics basically mean one huge tree with lots of branches (rather than a class skill tree which automatically eliminates every other class's skills from your choice). So I imagine the opportunity exists to completely gimp yourself (which I actually find amusing). So technically you could build a gunslinger that can heal a bit and hurl a few lightning bolts when they run out of bullets..... or whatever. Naturally, the more branches you try to learn the less deep in any particular branch you can go (in the same amount of time).

I'm curious to see if the designers wimp out for fear of confusing the "lead-me-by-the-nose" MMO player too much. All the big MMOs have been trending to what I find hard to call anything else but "dumbing down" to attract a larger crowd. I hate that because it looks good to marketing but that group generally also has a short attention span and drifts away again. Meanwhile the folks who want challenge and complexity -- and who are more likely to stay long term --- don't.

I'm the sort that hopes the crafting minigames look something like THIS -> http://www.spacechemthegame.com/about
Old 2011-05-05, 18:42   Link #14
VDZ

Quote:
Why not let your Facebook friends know what secret society you joined? By clicking on the link below, you can share the result with your friends and also invite them to take the test.
So much for secret societies being, well, secret.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 19:10   Link #15
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

So whos the GOOD guys? XD
Old 2011-05-06, 00:32   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

heh,... in asian literature there are no "good guys" or "bad guys" ... just people with conflicting goals or methods of achieving them. Think about it... even in WoW the Horde and the Alliance aren't really "evil" or "good" ... just two group in conflict (though the Alliance creates a mythos that they are "good" for propaganda).
Old 2011-05-06, 05:43   Link #17
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
So whos the GOOD guys? XD
Technically they are all bad guys.
Old 2011-05-06, 07:34   Link #18
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Technically they are all bad guys.
Simply because they wouldn't leave the dumber part of the human race (us) alone.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-05-06 at 07:44.
Old 2011-05-06, 09:25   Link #19
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Not all of the us is stupid...
Old 2011-05-06, 12:34   Link #20
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Looks interesting, I'll keep an eye out. Hopefully it doesn't end up being another APB?
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote