AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-06-07, 22:07   Link #1
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Makes me wanna play Tekken or KoF again.

http://www.yot-taekwondo.com/movie/Taikeando.wmv

I don't know about TKD's practical use, but in tournaments and what not, that shit is bomb to watch.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 22:18   Link #2
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

that vid had some cool moves... a lot of good kicks and flipping kicks! but I think shaolin-kung fu is still better...

... I didn't like to use Hworang too much cuz his kicks/combos were not as good as others... I'm more of a Xiayou, Jin or King player...
Old 2004-06-07, 22:23   Link #3
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Ah... definitely a good music video. Having trained in Korea myself in a Tae-Kwon-Do academy for a few years, I can tell you that most of what you see there is just exhibition of flash, not practicality. Only about half of the moves that were shown are actually used in real combat. They were being judged half the time on difficulty of the technique used along with the organization of the members. Different schools/divisions of good Tae-Kwon-Do school do these to showcase and spark people's interest in the art.

Once you get in you'll learn rather quickly that flashy moves are the least of your worries, but rather less flashy but more effective moves along with a certain mind-set that allows you to face any adversary without losing your calm.

Contrast to proper belief there are many close combat techniques in Tae-Kwon-Do. It's not all using your legs either, using the motion of your entire body(including arms) you learn to keep the distance of your maximum proficiency at all times.

I've seen many of the Tae-Kwon-Do schools in the US and most of them seem to be a money making gimmick more than anything else. They just give away belts if you're around long enough and keep paying them money, quite a disgrace to the art really but what can you do.

I highly suggest people to check out Tae-Kwon-Do anyway, it'll keep you fit and make you stronger both in the physical and in the mental sense(considering you take it seriously in a professional martial arts school).
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 00:55   Link #4
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

too bad it seems impossible to find a good tkd place in LA. Or probably US in general.
Mr. Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 07:51   Link #5
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade
Ah... definitely a good music video. Having trained in Korea myself in a Tae-Kwon-Do academy for a few years, I can tell you that most of what you see there is just exhibition of flash, not practicality. Only about half of the moves that were shown are actually used in real combat. They were being judged half the time on difficulty of the technique used along with the organization of the members. Different schools/divisions of good Tae-Kwon-Do school do these to showcase and spark people's interest in the art.

Once you get in you'll learn rather quickly that flashy moves are the least of your worries, but rather less flashy but more effective moves along with a certain mind-set that allows you to face any adversary without losing your calm.

Contrast to proper belief there are many close combat techniques in Tae-Kwon-Do. It's not all using your legs either, using the motion of your entire body(including arms) you learn to keep the distance of your maximum proficiency at all times.

I've seen many of the Tae-Kwon-Do schools in the US and most of them seem to be a money making gimmick more than anything else. They just give away belts if you're around long enough and keep paying them money, quite a disgrace to the art really but what can you do.

I highly suggest people to check out Tae-Kwon-Do anyway, it'll keep you fit and make you stronger both in the physical and in the mental sense(considering you take it seriously in a professional martial arts school).

i think that this is a problem that all traditional martial arts face all around the world. the flashy moves portrayed in movies led many schools to teach these moves and milk the art for money, very sad but very true.

edit: just watched the clip great stuff thanx for sharing it with us

Last edited by whatever123; 2004-06-08 at 08:06.
whatever123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 13:35   Link #6
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

"I have destroyed a useless piece of wood..."

Remind me if I ever fight one of these people not to stand still and hold a piece of wood in front of me. Seriously though, lotta cool flips and jumping in the vid, wasn't so interested in the few fight scenes though since usually just looked like they kicked at random and just waited to see who won, even if they both fell down from it.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 14:06   Link #7
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
"I have destroyed a useless piece of wood..."

Remind me if I ever fight one of these people not to stand still and hold a piece of wood in front of me. Seriously though, lotta cool flips and jumping in the vid, wasn't so interested in the few fight scenes though since usually just looked like they kicked at random and just waited to see who won, even if they both fell down from it.

From my (limited) experience in sparring matches, that's about the just of it. I remember the very first spar I had was with my friend who actually invited me to see the club (Aiki-jujutsu, formally known as Kaze Arashi Ryu). I had only been with the club for 2-3 weeks and then the sensei matched me up against him (and he has years of expereince in Tai-Kwon-Do). I was scared, but at the same time I was pumped. He didn't use any TKD on me, but he kicked my ass at first. Then I got the hang of it and was able to block his moves and make some of my own. At the very end we were screaming at each other and our last two attacks we simultaneously hit each other in the same spot. It was awesome!!!

Ehrm, anyway yeah interesting vid. I always thought it was cool that TKD uses kicks so much because back in the old days a farmer's hands were very important and they didn't want them to get damaged in a fight
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 14:25   Link #8
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
Ehrm, anyway yeah interesting vid. I always thought it was cool that TKD uses kicks so much because back in the old days a farmer's hands were very important and they didn't want them to get damaged in a fight
reminds me of sanji (or should i say benji for US viewrs) from one piece the only difference is that he is a cook not a farmer