AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-08-02, 12:27   Link #1
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Need help fast with DVD

I got a power DVD 5.... and every time i try to run the movie it always says "Error, cannot run copyrighted movie while TV out function is enabled"
"TV out port of your display card is not working properly"
not exact words, but close enough

anyone know how to fix this problem? I need to find out in the next 30 mins!
(im using a Dell Inspirion)
Mr. Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 13:14   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bushido
I got a power DVD 5.... and every time i try to run the movie it always says "Error, cannot run copyrighted movie while TV out function is enabled"
"TV out port of your display card is not working properly"
not exact words, but close enough

anyone know how to fix this problem? I need to find out in the next 30 mins!
(im using a Dell Inspirion)
No idea what a Power DVD 5 is (apart from being a DVD player of some sort) but the message sounds like the standard Windows message when you try and output to both the Monitor and TV out. Typically it's something to do with the "Clone" or "Dual View" setting on your video card. It's basically there to stop you doing exactly what it sounds like you want to do
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 14:59   Link #3
cabbit
Fish Tin Turtle Lead Soup

Send a message via AIM to cabbit
Very odd. Why would they not want you to be able to display it on the TV out? Are the movie studios anal about public display?
cabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 17:43   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbit
Very odd. Why would they not want you to be able to display it on the TV out? Are the movie studios anal about public display?
I don't remember all the details but one of the reasons is that if you can output the DVD stream to TV out, you can bypass the Macrovision copy protection (therefore make copying, taping, a DVD rather easy). I suspect it was a 'requirement' from the legal side of the business to make such practices a little more difficult to achieve.
Old 2004-08-03, 05:09   Link #5
cabbit
Fish Tin Turtle Lead Soup

Send a message via AIM to cabbit
That's just so retarded. Isn't the "video out" so you can output it to a TV to watch? Macrovision should take their heads out of their arse.

There are many ways to bypass macrovision. There's this program that will bypass DVD Regions and Macrovision. I forget what's it's called as I don't use it, I normally just rip the DVD's and put it on my data server so everyone in the house can watch before I delete it.
cabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 05:21   Link #6
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Could the program have been called AnyDVD by any chance? You can copy every copy protected DVD with the AnyDVD + CloneDVD combo* so bypassing the copy protection to display the DVD on the TV Out should be possible too (with AnyDVD running in the background).

*note that this fact does not make the programs illegal per se; it becomes illegal if you copy copy protected DVDs which you don't own yourself

If a Mod (most likely the omniscient and fast xris ) still thinks that this should not have been posted, I apologize. (No need to say to remove it since Mods will do that anyway if they deem it necessary ^_^)
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 17:15   Link #7
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
No idea what a Power DVD 5 is (apart from being a DVD player of some sort) but the message sounds like the standard Windows message when you try and output to both the Monitor and TV out. Typically it's something to do with the "Clone" or "Dual View" setting on your video card. It's basically there to stop you doing exactly what it sounds like you want to do
the problem is that it's not hooked to a TV.... in fact it doesnt even have the cables.
It's just the notebook, adapter, and a network card. Maybe i had a memory USB in there too... but it wasnt connected to a TV.

other wise i would've just pulled out the cables, i was trying to watch it when i went camping...
Old 2004-08-05, 17:58   Link #8
Green²
It's bacon!

Media Player Classic can also play DVD's, but if it's not a player issue, then it could be that you need a display driver update, or have a disk issue.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 17:58   Link #9
xris
Just call me Ojisan

It doesn't matter if it's hooked up to a TV or not. With my setup, if I try and play a DVD when the video card is set to "Clone" mode, it give a similar sort of error message (and a TV doesn't need to be connected). If I put the video card into "Dual View" mode, then it plays the DVD OK. I'm suggesting that your video card has a similar sort of setup and if TV-out is enabled, it will not allow the DVD to play (it may require the setup to have TV-out enabled along with being in the equivalent of "Clone" mode). On the other hand, it may have nothing to do with your set up and the problem is simply your "TV out port of your display card is not working properly"

I am being a bit hazy on this since I haven't tried this in over a year now, but it does sound like the same sort of scenario I came across.
Old 2004-08-05, 21:11   Link #10
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
It doesn't matter if it's hooked up to a TV or not. With my setup, if I try and play a DVD when the video card is set to "Clone" mode, it give a similar sort of error message (and a TV doesn't need to be connected). If I put the video card into "Dual View" mode, then it plays the DVD OK. I'm suggesting that your video card has a similar sort of setup and if TV-out is enabled, it will not allow the DVD to play (it may require the setup to have TV-out enabled along with being in the equivalent of "Clone" mode). On the other hand, it may have nothing to do with your set up and the problem is simply your "TV out port of your display card is not working properly"

I am being a bit hazy on this since I haven't tried this in over a year now, but it does sound like the same sort of scenario I came across.
so then, do u know how to put it on dual view instead of clone?
Old 2004-08-06, 03:50   Link #11
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bushido
so then, do u know how to put it on dual view instead of clone?
I do on my system but I have no idea for your system (my clairvoyancey skills or indirect telekinesis isn't up to the task).

On my system
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display
(or I right click on an open space on the desktop and select Properties)
This bring up the Display Properties
Setting > Advanced > GeForce... > nView Modes
Old 2004-08-06, 03:57   Link #12
Green²
It's bacon!

Drop the display resolution to 800x600 or 640x480?

What I don't understand is if you are trying to use two monitors (notebook monitor and TV monitor) or not. S-video, VGA, DVI-I, and composite connectors are usually plug & play, where the driver will not turn them on unless there is a cable connected.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 06:24   Link #13
Ending

Or you can always try www.TVTool.com -it can disable Macrovision and do other stuff too.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote