AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-09-01, 07:12   Link #1
tetsuo
In Classic Form

Angry Why can't they just try people out at expo's for Character voices!?!

OK after seeing the horrible voice job that was done for the Bleach dub thats coming out in september. I just felt like, man I know that i'm not the only person that feels like this. And you know i was just kinda talking to myself saying Ichigo's lines and I felt like"Damn!, I can do a better job than these guys can!, My voice is sracthy like Ichigo's and I still sound young damn it!"

If you feel the same way then you know put up a reply saying what character from somewhere that you felt like you could've done a better if now spot on job as it.

SO yeah just check this thing out.
tetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 08:22   Link #2
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Ok, it's a valid point. They probably should do more to match the voice actors to the characters. That's all I'll say, because this thread will most likely degenerate into the usual subs vs dubs argument and will be closed shortly thereafter.

Feel free to prove me wrong though
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 08:33   Link #3
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well those voice actors are fulltime voice actors for their studios, they get their pay, they do it.

Just that we don't like it lol

I wish they would just use subs, but still translating Japanese in English, loses alot of the essence, at least those who knows Japanese can hear them in original Japanese in their own countries.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 09:28   Link #4
gknight
shounen ai

Send a message via ICQ to gknight Send a message via MSN to gknight
loved the idea in the topic, i'm totally with you man.
gknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 12:22   Link #5
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Well those voice actors are fulltime voice actors for their studios, they get their pay, they do it.
That doesn't seem like its true for all though...

Here, you can see that the VOA (Voice over actor) for Ishida from Bleach is a full-time worker for a mortgage company.

Direct quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
I actually try to avoid audtions if I can help it because my "real" job is very time consuming. I'm a loan originator for a mortgage company.
So no, he is not a full time voice actor at all (Unlike japanese VAs). Infact, I wonder why he actually does them when he has no interest what-so-ever in anime/manga (And he constantly complains about having not enough time), but I'll leave it at that.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 12:35   Link #6
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Sorry I don't agree.

It's not the VA's fault. It's the Director. His job is to make sure the VA fits. If he feels a certain voice fits with the character then NOTHING will change that. Not fans, not anyone.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 12:52   Link #7
bayoab

One of the reasons they can't just grab a random person off the street and have them VA is because of the unions. The voice actors unions are very bitchy and people often have to use psuedonyms when doing non-union work.

Also, it was just the preview. Usually it takes an episode or two for the US voice actors to actually get into the voice they are going to use. I've seen a few improve as they have gotten more lines in.

Thirdly, people always bitch about how the voices sound when they don't know how they actually sound to someone watching it in Japan. From the descriptions I am hearing, this is not the case with Ichigo though.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 13:13   Link #8
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Voice acting is also probably a lot harder than it looks, so some random joe at a con won't do.
Old 2006-09-01, 14:20   Link #9
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
Voice acting is also probably a lot harder than it looks, so some random joe at a con won't do.
Absolutely. If anything, it's the most difficult form of acting. After all, they have to convey all the emotions of a scene with just their voice. Further, in english dubs the actors are recorded individually. They don't have the benefit of the other VAs from the scene in the booth to work off of. As a result, it takes more skill to give the same level of performance as it would if they were all in the booth together, taking cues from each other.

Still holding auditions at a convention, maybe make a contest out of it too, isn't a bad idea. There might be some talanted people out there who would just never get a chance to break into the industry. If not, it still might be a fun event.
Old 2006-09-01, 14:33   Link #10
Grungir

From my very limited experience the voice acting seems to be getting better on the english side. For the majority of the anime I have seen I now prefer to listen to the Japanese and just read the subs... there are a few series that are exceptions to that though. Cowboy Bebop, GitS, and FMP are just a few of the examples.
Grungir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 20:51   Link #11
sorvani

to answer the topic's question:

It is simple, the ACTING part is just as important as the VOICE part.

how many of these rabid fangirls/boys can actually act? the number is definately closer to 0% than 100%
sorvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 21:13   Link #12
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

You know, voice acting has always been good in Disney, Warner Bros, Hanna Barbera etc. Those veteran and legendary voice actors like Jeff Bergman, could act out all 4 characters on a bugs bunny show on his own, 4 different animals, 4 different characteristics. There were lots of great voice actors.

Just that the western voice doesn't really fit well with the Japanese animation style.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 01:39   Link #13
tetsuo
In Classic Form

Ok well true there are union's. But I know if I got a fucken chance to work on an anime i'd freaking try to get in one! And if there gonna translate the damn thing the least that they could do is, watch the Jap. anime and try to see which voice comes closer to the damn character. And gez man its not like there arn't some that could do it. You know! I think that it should happen like at Anime Expo next year or something.
tetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 03:24   Link #14
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Woah! Calm down, Tetsuo. Lower the language and racial slurs a bit. You're on an international board here, remember?

Anyhow, I think they should hold such events at cons to get new talent. They may find somebody who's really good. I really like where the dub quality is going (it's been almost straight up hill for the last two decades) but just remember that we pretty much always hear the japanese first. So naturally that's what sticks to us the most regardless of the situation. There have been shows where I've seen the dub first and when that happened the Japanese sounded off.

Then there's another side to this coin tho. I have a friend who acts out non-voiced games and he's exceptionally good at modifying his voice to fit the character. I'd say he could likely go pro no problem. But he doesn't want to because then hobby becomes job, and jobs aren't always fun and games. Even fun ones can be total hell sometimes.

When I worked in game design I had the chance to talk to some good VA's (I don't think any of them did much in the anime scene tho) and all of them told me that same thing. When you need to do it to pay the bills it's not something somebody off the street could do responsibly without experience and training.

It's just like any other job on the planet
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 11:29   Link #15
dfens

I think the whole idea of looking for VA's at cons is a stupid idea. It would be like american idol where every no talent idiot would show up thinking they are going to make it and when they're told they suck they then would throw a hissy fit. Or maybe realize that hey maybe I should do something else with my life. Some dubs are good and some are bad deal with it.
dfens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 11:38   Link #16
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Personally, I'm a subs man, but if the dub is high enough quality, and true enough to the original voice actors, I'm game for a dub. In fact, I've seen some dubs in english that smoke the Japanese seiyus hands down. Not many, but there are some. I just wish they'd have more.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 18:41   Link #17
Anime Online

Why not simply write in to the animation licensing company, express your interest in doing character voices and take it from there?

Having a company trying out people at expo just reeks of a waste of resources. There's no guarantee that, even if the company find a bunch of suitable people, they have the commitment to do a job. It's not like such a glamorous job that you have people beating down the doors to be anime voice actors.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 21:44   Link #18
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

True, plus out of all those who try out for the voices, how many are just doing it because it's the cool thing to do at that moment? Or they'll be like "I got picked!!" and are never heard from again.

Nah, if the people want to be voice actors, let them go try out. If they've at least got the modivation to do that, they are likely candidates. If not, it's not worth the time of the studio to even mess with it.

BTW, good point AO.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 01:36   Link #19
jayj713

if i start watching the anime in japanese i hate watching it dubbed. But if i watch it dubbed, then start watching it in japanese its fine .

But, back on subject, that's a pretty good idea but i'm sure there are some good reasons they dont do that.
jayj713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 05:07   Link #20
yjs

Most modern dubs are actually pretty decent if you even try them. Now some in the 1990s were truly atrocious; us kids nowadays get away way easy.
yjs is offline   Reply With Quote