AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2006-12-14, 18:29   Link #1
Electroguy
An Undisclosed Liability

The Flash Animation / Games / Videos / Web Tricks Thread

I think it would be a good idea to abolish the "Flash Animation / Games / Videos / Web Tricks" Thread and just allow people to post topics in individual threads.

The Gen Chat area of the forum isn't under heavy use and I think its a bad idea to encompass so many things under one thread. Additionally people would be able to see what new Flash Animation / Games / Videos / Web Tricks type content has been posted instead of having to check the big thread daily to see if anything new has been submitted.

The main reason for this is that people cannot really reply effectively to the Flash Animation / Games / Videos / Web Tricks topic being submitted as it is cluttered to death.

Additionally allowing new topics to be generated will create more replies which would up the post/thread count for the forum in general.
Old 2006-12-14, 19:16   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Most of the posts in that thread were actually posted to separate threads originally. Trouble is they didn't really generate replies of quality. The content wasn't seen as pointless enough to completely do away with it (they're mostly harmless and normally fun or in some way amusing), and it was obvious that people would keep making new threads on silly things they found on the web anyway. So we started merging them together. In the end it formed a sort of dumping ground for that sort of thing.

What sort of "effective" replies are you envisioning? I'm not sure I see a flash video or game spawning pages of interesting comment... mostly I see it producing things like "ROFLOL", "that was cool", "yeah, saw that on this other site last month", etc.

When you say people will be able to see new content when it is posted, I'm a little confused as to where you are seeing problems with the current setup? Checking for new posts doesn't require you to actually look at the thread daily, you only need to check when the forum says there were new posts? If you mean you're having to filter through pointless replies to see the actual content for yourself, doesn't that tell you something about the sort of discussion the topics generate?

Lastly, you should know that simply increasing the post count for the forum as a whole isn't even close to what the site is about. Quality not quantity, as the saying goes.

Anyway, I'm not really seeing how allowing each flash game or random video clip out there its own thread really gains us anything or if the other staff agree with what I've just said, but you're welcome to try and change my opinion .
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-15, 01:02   Link #3
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Well, this particular staff member agrees with NightWish. While a few of those flash animations or games might be able to generate a full discussion, most of them will merely sit there unresponded to or else generate a bunch of one line responses like, "It's cool," "Waste of time," and "I liked it too."

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-15, 07:55   Link #4
Electroguy
An Undisclosed Liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Most of the posts in that thread were actually posted to separate threads originally. Trouble is they didn't really generate replies of quality.
I have had 2 topics assimilated into the uber thread.

They were merged within less than an hour of the topic creation. So I suppose it would be difficult to guage the replies they may have recieved but as a whole I agree this sort of stuff is usually just a bit of fun.

Quote:
The content wasn't seen as pointless enough to completely do away with it (they're mostly harmless and normally fun or in some way amusing), and it was obvious that people would keep making new threads on silly things they found on the web anyway. So we started merging them together. In the end it formed a sort of dumping ground for that sort of thing.
It seems a bit self defeating....

Why allow it to carry on but do so in such a way that no one will be bothered to actually talk about whats been posted.

Quote:
What sort of "effective" replies are you envisioning? I'm not sure I see a flash video or game spawning pages of interesting comment... mostly I see it producing things like "ROFLOL", "that was cool", "yeah, saw that on this other site last month", etc.
When I said "effective" I wasn't reffering to post quality but ability to actually have a conversation.

IE. "Flash blah blah blah thread"

Poster A - Flash Game
Poster B - You Tube Movie
Poster C - Java Trick
Poster D - Haha Nice. That was cool.
Poster B - Thanks
Poster D - Not you....
Poster C - Oh ty! ^_^
Poster B - Not you.....=(
Poster E - Do you know what site that was from?
Poster A - Newgrounds.
Poster E - No the other flash thing.
Poster DBZ - Kamehameha!etc.

You get the idea.

Quote:
When you say people will be able to see new content when it is posted, I'm a little confused as to where you are seeing problems with the current setup? Checking for new posts doesn't require you to actually look at the thread daily, you only need to check when the forum says there were new posts? If you mean you're having to filter through pointless replies to see the actual content for yourself, doesn't that tell you something about the sort of discussion the topics generate?
With the current setup you only see when a new post has been made since you last viewed the topic. So that means if you're into it and your active on the forum you may find yourself checking the same thread all the time just to view someones inane response to something posted 6 months ago.

It offers your members more autonomy and choice to just see a topic title and decide whether or not they want to investigate further. Once they have seen the topic content they won't need to go back unless they're interested in the responses to the content.

Quote:
Lastly, you should know that simply increasing the post count for the forum as a whole isn't even close to what the site is about. Quality not quantity, as the saying goes.
Yeah I agree. That was more of a cherry on top than a point of persuassion.

Increased post count isn't a bad thing though right? Or we wouldn't have the spam threads around that we do atm.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm not really seeing how allowing each flash game or random video clip out there its own thread really gains us anything or if the other staff agree with what I've just said, but you're welcome to try and change my opinion .
Imo if you're going to do something you should take pride in how its done as is done on the majority of the forum.

It seems a bit sloppy to just chuck everything encompassed in these broad areas into 1 thread. Gen Chat is pretty much only for that kind of submission....makes sense to me.

Your call.

NSW - Replies like that reflect the community. Are you saying we shouldn't let people talk about Naruto because they'll say something like "Omg fillers suck".
Old 2006-12-15, 11:27   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I think the inability to discuss anything in that thread is more important than confusion between people that can't use things like quote tags or some other alternative..

Anyway Electro do you really think staff here will ever change anything like that.. ?? it's basically part of the forum policy, in other words it's more or less written in stone..

I don't think I need to mention this, but.. that thread is a dump, literally.. the staff don't want stuff like that.. but it would sound really really wrong if they banned it from the forum completely.. so this alternative comes in.. well that's the truth ain't it
So there's no point in trying to discuss it they'll just push you away or ignore you..

Anyway the forum followed the "Don't fix it ain't broken." syndrome IMO.
It's the same problem most companies have.. some new little technology or to put it in a more general way: a better way of thinking comes along; it would be push in the right direction and improve things a lil'.
So do they adopt it?! No.. why should they? everything works fine why bother tweaking/improving things for the better..
Several years down the road, following the same philosophy, the company is an ancient fossil with standards bellow average, an infrastructure based on old obsolete and inefficient protocols with employs that can't use anything but dinosaur technology..

I'm not talking about the future.. I'm talking about the present..
Even if the staff for say were to take suggestions like that one and apply them, how do you suggest they go about it..
Let's not kid ourselves here.. they're not doable in the time the staff have at their disposal.. and it would involve large leaps of faith.. it might not sound like it's a big thing but just think about it..
Old 2006-12-15, 13:36   Link #6
Electroguy
An Undisclosed Liability

^_^ Some forum teams are resistant to change but I think that 2 staff members posting is at least a small sign of willingness to listen.

I'm sensing some resentment in your post. Had an idea quashed yourself?

As to the do-ability and drain on staff time this suggestion wouldn't really require any work...

It would actually save time as staff wouldn't need to merge topics into the collective thread Im discussing. New topics would naturally have a quick flurry of activity and then sink off the top page.

Rules written in stone should be updated and saved on a flash drive. ^_^
Old 2006-12-15, 14:37   Link #7
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electroguy View Post
^_^ Some forum teams are resistant to change but I think that 2 staff members posting is at least a small sign of willingness to listen.
The staff is always willing to listen and welcomes suggestions. Sometimes we don't react as quickly or in the same manner as some people want us to and that ends up putting them off. Making suggestions is a two way street: we have to be willing to consider new ideas/make changes and the person making the suggestion has to be willing to accept the fact that their suggestion may not be accept at this time. It fact, it may never be accept.

What happens is that when people make suggestions, they forget that they have to put aside their desired expectations as to the outcome. After the suggestion is made, it's not within their control anymore. You state your case, support it with logic and know when to drop the discussion if the suggestion is rejected.

The AnimeSuki Administrators have a design, and philosophical direction for the forum (both in look and milieu), and they work very hard at maintaining what they feel is a stable and interesting community. At the same time, they are willing to listen to and debate possible changes.

I've seen many suggestions debated in this forum and then pulled elsewhere for further debate among the Admins. Many times, they really do consider a wide variety of suggestions from many sources and they don't receive the credit for doing so. Sometimes these changes roll out slowly. Other times, the suggestion is passed on for all eternity.

The entire staff is willing to listen to suggestions as long as people are willing and mature enough to understand if the suggestion doesn't fit the current forum philosophy or design, it’s time to cheerfully move on or at the very least, agree to disagree respectfully. The staff does their best to keep the forums modern, friendly, Spam free and, most importantly, stable.

Cheers.

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-12-15 at 15:03. Reason: Here in my car, I feel safest of all...
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-16, 01:53   Link #8
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

If someone wanted to post an animation, game, etc in its own thread I would be willing to allow it, if and only if there was something special about it that inspires discussion. Let's say that we'll take this on a case-by-case basis. Perhaps I (and other mods) ought to pay attention to discussion in the "Flash Animation / Games / Videos / Web Tricks Thread" and if a conversation breaks out, then I could move the post and all related replies to their own thread.

That's my thought.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-12-17, 11:43   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The problem is that they can't have a discussion there. (as I see it)
The current 'discussion' is too chaotic and off-focused to get anything going..

But anyway, think of it this way, for subjects like this it takes a lil' chit-chat to find a soft-point to discuss.. just like in the real world.. and the current rules/policies don't allow for such things..

I don't see why the rule is so strict.. if a serious discussion don' get going well too bad.. close the tread.. but if it becomes serious then there's no problem nee~
We're anime fans you know.. not philosophers or professionals in about everything.. we need a lil' space to get going for some things don't tell me you can just walk to a total stranger and start talking about the mysteries of the universe just like that..

@ Catgirls

You can't blame people for thinking that you are resistant to change..
You don't say if you are discussing something..
And presuming you do, whenever you finish it.. you don't say the conclusion/decision/consensus that you've reached.. not even for the basic ones..

@ Electroguy
'I'm sensing some resentment in your post. Had an idea quashed yourself?'

Mmm.. I guess.. but the so called 'resentment' had more to do with your post.. that issue is something I've seen before..

-------
BTW NSW what's with that kick-ass rep of yours.. I know you get +1 rep powa for every year on the forum +1 rep powa for every 1000 posts but there shouldn't be any points for coolness or things like that..
I can't believe people luv you so much.. -_^ wait ohh.. I know now.. heh.
In a few years you'll be competing with Jesus
Old 2006-12-17, 15:38   Link #10
Electroguy
An Undisclosed Liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII View Post

@ Catgirls

You can't blame people for thinking that you are resistant to change..
You don't say if you are discussing something..
And presuming you do, whenever you finish it.. you don't say the conclusion/decision/consensus that you've reached.. not even for the basic ones..

Yeah I have to agree there. Your post was more of a somewhat unnecessary explanation of how the suggestion process goes than a contribution.

Would have been good if you voiced your opinion on the matter at hand.

Quote:

@ Electroguy
'I'm sensing some resentment in your post. Had an idea quashed yourself?'

Mmm.. I guess.. but the so called 'resentment' had more to do with your post.. that issue is something I've seen before..
What did you find resentful about my post?

Which issue are you referring to? The Enormous gen chat thread?

We seem to be in agreement on my original point....at least to an extent which is nice.
Old 2006-12-17, 16:10   Link #11
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The 'issue' has nothing to do with AS.. case closed..

Expressed my opinion?.. my opinion on what exactly..
Old 2006-12-17, 18:01   Link #12
Electroguy
An Undisclosed Liability

Quote:
The 'issue' has nothing to do with AS.. case closed..
No need to be shy.

You shouldn't mention things if you aren't willing to go into further detail.

If you have a problem with me let me know.

Quote:

Expressed my opinion?.. my opinion on what exactly..
Not your opinion, that was directed at Catgirls. I was talking about her/him giving an opinion about this thread.
Old 2006-12-17, 19:17   Link #13
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Please quote when you start directing your message at someone else.. I'm starting to suspect that one of the Poster A - Z in your example above was definably you ^.^
When you say "you" and "Your" it always implies you are referring to the last quoted user..

Anyway.. don' understand what more opinion you want out of Catgirls but that's his head-ache now..
*tags Catgirls*
@ Catgirls - Get in here nya~ =^.^=

----
@ Electroguy - See that's how you do it and avoid confusion.. ^^ (directly mentioning names in sentences also works)
Old 2006-12-17, 20:28   Link #14
Electroguy
An Undisclosed Liability

@BlackCatXIII

Thanks for the attempt at a lesson in posting etiquette.

I didn't know I had to keep things simple for you....my apologies.

For some reason I thought you were a fairly competent fellow.....

From Catgirls (Note this is not you BlackCatXIII) I was expecting an opinion on the actual topic. He/She didn't say anything about the proposed abolishment of the Gen Chat thread we're discussing.

Again thought that was pretty straightforward but I obviously gave you a wee bit too much credit.

Lesson Learned.
Old 2006-12-19, 02:39   Link #15
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
If someone wanted to post an animation, game, etc in its own thread I would be willing to allow it, if and only if there was something special about it that inspires discussion. Let's say that we'll take this on a case-by-case basis. Perhaps I (and other mods) ought to pay attention to discussion in the "Flash Animation / Games / Videos / Web Tricks Thread" and if a conversation breaks out, then I could move the post and all related replies to their own thread.
Quote:
The problem is that they can't have a discussion there. (as I see it)
The current 'discussion' is too chaotic and off-focused to get anything going..
It seems that you are mistaken. I have just created a new thread from a small discussion that suddenly broke out in that thread. It seems that people found it interesting to see How Many of Me? In case you are curious, one post referred to both that discussion and a post that wasn't in the discussion. To solve that problem I copied the post so that it now exists in both threads.

I'm mentioning this here to ask if people feel that this is starting to work as a solution to the problem.

Old 2006-12-19, 07:08   Link #16
Electroguy
An Undisclosed Liability

Works for me. ^_^

Im happy to leave it at the discretion of the moderators as to what warrants a topic and what doesn't as long as it doesn't revert back to merging everything after a week.

PS - Is there a staff page here? I have no idea who makes up the full AS team apart from like the 4 people I see on which would be..... NSW (mod?) Xris(mod?) Elven Path(Admin?) Catgirls(RIP )
Old 2006-12-19, 07:25   Link #17
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

AS doesn't allow group forming or activities.. but there is a group in existence, it consists of the AS Staff.. you can see who's who there..
The AS Team

Also Admins are also Mods.. they don't sit around doing nothin' you know..
So all the AS staff are MODs in a sense.. (well actually only 2 are true MODs)

And CG is just taking a well diserved break he isn't gone.. or I hope not

@ NSW - I don't think that resolves the issue but it seems to solve the problem..