AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-10-14, 23:08   Link #101
Yamada II

Episode 2

That was a fairly predictable mystery. I saw what had happened from the start. What caught by interest was Sakurako saying "Soutaro" instead of "Shoutaro" . That was the interesting little part. Something happened to this "Soutaro" person and Shoutaro could be acting as replacement for that kid in Sakurako's eyes. It will change later on, but this could be how she is seeing Shoutaro at the moment.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-14, 23:45   Link #102
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

My guess is that Soutaro kid is her brother or some familiar that dyed time ago(or is related to that dude stading next to the tree in the opening) which in some way awoke her desire to study everything regarding bones and things related. Then this Shoutaro kinda reminds her him, so fears of that past of him getting hurt awakes.

Or it could be that both Shoutaro and Soutaro were brothers or something related.
Old 2015-10-15, 02:24   Link #103
cyth
Banned

The drama was touching, but some things really made me cringe. Others have already mentioned the transformation sequence. It felt a bit too uplifting and out of place for the situation at hand. I'll add to that Sakurako's excessively rude handling of the body. Before someone jumps in and says she didn't have time to care about a dead person's feelings, please. This could've been handled far more delicately. Her overeager enthusiasm is one thing, but that scene made Sakurako look like a tryhard edgelord.

Drug addict isn't that generic when you consider the mother was probably a prostitute, considering her fingernails and Ii-chan's comments about her bleeding. What was generic was the whole prostitutes are dirty "on the inside" and negligent parents, as if they couldn't make a straight up murder story without dispensing some level of moral outrage.

Shoutarou having a black belt was surprising.

At first I thought the shrimp rice package was supposed to be a local brand, turns out it's a parody package of Ajinomoto's fried shrimp rice. Guys at Troyca must've been super hungry while animating this cut.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-15, 02:34   Link #104
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
For those in the dark on what's the ROE of Japanese police officers armed with sidearm, I got this from the Police Duties Execution Law.

Quote:
A police officer may use his weapon in case there is reasonable ground to deem it necessary for the apprehension of a criminal or the prevention of his or her escape, self-protection or protection of others or suppression of resistance against the execution of his official duty within the limits judged reasonably necessary in the situation. However, he shall not inflict any injury upon any person except the case falling under the category of the provisions of Article 36 (Legal Defence) of the Criminal Law (Law No. 45, 1907) or of Article 37 (Emergency Refuge) of the same law

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2015-10-15 at 05:24.
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-15, 03:57   Link #105
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
For those in the dark on what's the ROE of Japanese police officer armed with sidearm, I go this from the Police Duties Execution Law.
I have to take back what I wrote earlier. Upon close inspection of the scene where they're trying to talk to the girl at the police station, Barney Fife Police Box Man actually does appear to be carrying the customary .38 Special revolver.

This, of course, suggests that he would've been well within his rights to draw it; having been assaulted with a deadly weapon, and being confronted with a situation where the wielder of that weapon is threatening at least three people directly, plus the two locked in the bedroom.

On the other hand, the restrictive ROE plus the fact he's a cop in a sleepy Japanese town, would suggest that the expected number of incidents in his whole career, where he'd actually have reason to draw his gun, could probably be counted on one hand. The fact that he appears to forget that he has one is excusable in this light.
Old 2015-10-15, 04:17   Link #106
Verisimilitude

Looking back at the OP, it seems to have a lot of plot hints.Shoutarou's visiting a grave, Kougami sees someone across her in a cafe that disappears and sensei sees a hallicunation of three women. Then of course there's Sakurakou and her brother and that creepy dude that's probably the ultimate antagonist. Wonder if all these instances are connected somehow...
Verisimilitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-15, 04:33   Link #107
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I feel that it's their respective "skeletons in the closet". Shoutarou is probably mourning over the loss of someone important to him many years ago who looks like Sakurako-san, Kougami reminds herself of someone in Shoutarou, and Sakurako-san sees Sou in Shou.

My comparisons of Gosick in Sakurako-san seems spot-on. This is less about mysteries solved brilliantly and more about the characters and their respective issues.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-15, 04:46   Link #108
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
My comparisons of Gosick in Sakurako-san seems spot-on. This is less about mysteries solved brilliantly and more about the characters and their respective issues.
I'd rather they didn't have the whole mystery angle, or at least made Sakurako someone with a police connection so she'd have an excuse to stomp around murder scenes, handle dead bodies and witnesses, etc. I'm not asking for realism, really, but this is ridiculous.

Btw, as for the "transformation scene", what bothers me most about it, aside of how it sticks out like a sore thumb and completely ruins the mood, is that she wears a completely different outfit in it than she does in the actual scene. Sloppy work, director, really sloppy.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-15, 05:31   Link #109
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I'd rather they didn't have the whole mystery angle, or at least made Sakurako someone with a police connection so she'd have an excuse to stomp around murder scenes, handle dead bodies and witnesses, etc. I'm not asking for realism, really, but this is ridiculous.
When it comes to this episode, Kujo’s excuse comes from the doofus police officer’s incompetence. Kujo’s character is already established as someone who is lacking common sense when it comes to something that interest her (she’s likely someone who will enter a crime scene even if police line is already in place). It’s the doofus officer’s fault for freakin’ out and not properly give Kujo a warning not to touch anything and secure the crime scene from her. Instead, he leisurely went outside the house and calling backup (and got stabbed). But thanks to that chain-of-events, the baby survived. That said, the show really need more competent police & detectives so that Kujo doesn't have to play Sherlock all the time and go back to her hobby of assembling bones .
Old 2015-10-15, 05:34   Link #110
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
I have to take back what I wrote earlier. Upon close inspection of the scene where they're trying to talk to the girl at the police station, Barney Fife Police Box Man actually does appear to be carrying the customary .38 Special revolver.

This, of course, suggests that he would've been well within his rights to draw it; having been assaulted with a deadly weapon, and being confronted with a situation where the wielder of that weapon is threatening at least three people directly, plus the two locked in the bedroom.

On the other hand, the restrictive ROE plus the fact he's a cop in a sleepy Japanese town, would suggest that the expected number of incidents in his whole career, where he'd actually have reason to draw his gun, could probably be counted on one hand. The fact that he appears to forget that he has one is excusable in this light.
Thanks for that, dude. It sickens me that people should do some research before saying "In America/Canada/Name of country you're from, the police do this". Just stop... just stop.

The Japanese have operated under this system for a long time since the NPA was propped up again under the oversight of the Allied Forces. If this helps them pretty well, then why bother change it?

It probably won't do some harm if one reads up on the subject matter first.

Quote:
Well, we haven't seen the fiancee yet, so I don't know how that'll work. But I know that he vouches for her in case the police sees her stumble onto a crime scene.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-15, 08:58   Link #111
Tenzen12

To be honest Sakurako doing whatever she wants on crime scene make perfect sense to me. She simply get everyone caught in her pace and get enough points before anyone realize what's going on.

Anyway this is best anime of season for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
The drama was touching, but some things really made me cringe. Others have already mentioned the transformation sequence. It felt a bit too uplifting and out of place for the situation at hand. I'll add to that Sakurako's excessively rude handling of the body. Before someone jumps in and says she didn't have time to care about a dead person's feelings, please. This could've been handled far more delicately. Her overeager enthusiasm is one thing, but that scene made Sakurako look like a tryhard edgelord.

Drug addict isn't that generic when you consider the mother was probably a prostitute, considering her fingernails and Ii-chan's comments about her bleeding. What was generic was the whole prostitutes are dirty "on the inside" and negligent parents, as if they couldn't make a straight up murder story without dispensing some level of moral outrage.

Shoutarou having a black belt was surprising.

She might have time to be more gentle with body (or maybe not, whatever), but that's not point. First come saving kid, than she can mediate whether she wasn't too rough. When lifes are in stakes it's not surprising that some first act and than think.

As your second point, Your reasoning here is rather weak and anime never made point prostitution = Moral deprivation. Actually it's pretty clear that what mother does is completely unimportant to story and to characters.
Old 2015-10-15, 09:10   Link #112
Blueknight78

Quote:

Btw, as for the "transformation scene", what bothers me most about it, aside of how it sticks out like a sore thumb and completely ruins the mood, is that she wears a completely different outfit in it than she does in the actual scene. Sloppy work, director, really sloppy.
She actually have, her uncle was a very famous and respected forensic which worked to solve many cases importants according to first episode, that is what make the officers allow her does that things, any police which "know her" and also know her abilities will automatic allow her do that.

Is like any police serie where you have a commoner which brilliant detective mind then that alow him gain respect and acess to the police to help with cases.

She had her uncle and her own well know skills in forensic then since she is well know in her town the police will automatically threat her as part of the police even if she is not, this is fiction most common logic the big exemple of it is sherlock holmes,
Old 2015-10-15, 10:05   Link #113
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
She actually have, her uncle was a very famous and respected forensic which worked to solve many cases importants according to first episode, that is what make the officers allow her does that things, any police which "know her" and also know her abilities will automatic allow her do that.
I meant her holding some kind of position connected to the police. "My uncle was XY" won't give anyone the right to do the kind of things she does and gets away with. Let her be a consultant on a case-by-case basis, or whatever, that's still better than "eccentric person whose uncle was a respected investigator so we'll trust whatever she says and does"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
Is like any police serie where you have a commoner which brilliant detective mind then that alow him gain respect and acess to the police to help with cases.
They usually don't do stuff like she does, though. And Sherlock Holmes is a "consulting detective", that's how he makes a living, he's not just some random person who happens to know stuff about crime.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-15, 10:14   Link #114
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
They usually don't do stuff like she does, though.
Isn't that the kind of thing Kindaichi does?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-15, 10:50   Link #115
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

More like anyone in detective stories. Conan Edogawa does it. Victorique does it. Pinpin and Mystery Inc. do it too. That's why they do the shit they do.
I feel that arguing about a detective character being so nosy in a detective series is completely moot.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-15, 11:45   Link #116
larethian

Definitely most interesting start of the season for me. This is akin to Watson-Holmes kind of show, but unlike Holmes or Kindaichi shows, the intrigue doesn't surround just a case but the characters are intriguing as well and it looks like more fleshing will occur.

Episode 2 tried to make me care and it worked while I couldn't be bothered with what happens between Kindaichi and Miyuki.

And the dynamics between the mains are interesting refreshing as well, compared to a (romantic-oriented) boy-meets-girl or build-my-harem-in-school-without-intending-to-while-being-burdened-by-some-invisible-responsibility-and-fighting-dangerous-people-that-threaten-either-the-world-or-society stories.

OP was good too.

Last edited by larethian; 2015-10-15 at 12:02.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-15, 11:47   Link #117
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
...This is less about mysteries solved brilliantly and more about the characters and their respective issues.
Yes. And this is part of why I'm enjoying it. The mysteries are just slightly mysterious, but the people are quite interesting. I myself find the way Sakurako mishandles the body, pushes in to investigations, and is surrounded by a fantasy scene of flying animals all quite enjoyable. It's anime fantasy, so I can accept the non-realism of some things. I'm also enjoying Itou Shizuka's voice. And the self-will and usefulness of the MC.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-15, 11:49   Link #118
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
More like anyone in detective stories. Conan Edogawa does it. Victorique does it. Pinpin and Mystery Inc. do it too. That's why they do the shit they do.
I feel that arguing about a detective character being so nosy in a detective series is completely moot.
That's not the argument people are making at all though. But rather why is a civilian being allowed to just trample all over a crime scene, without the police really saying anything. No matter what her pedigree is, in just about any developed country I'm pretty sure there are certain procedures and criteria that has to be met before someone can just waltz into a crime scene and tell people what to do. As kuromitsu pointed out at least if she was designated as a police consultant that would make her just walking into a crime scene and telling the police what's what more believable and understandable. She would have at least been given some authority by the police to be able to do what she does in this show.

As it stands I'm not that bothered by it, but I can see why people would be. In this episodes particular case I'll just choke it up to the police officer she's with having some rapport with her and her family already and thus trusts her judgement on these things. Even so you'd think the higher ups would be giving this guy a stern talking to about allowing civilians all over the crime scene.
Old 2015-10-15, 12:01   Link #119
Tenzen12

In first case, police did tried her chase away, but she managed catch their interest in the end.

In second case, policeman saw her in action and not without reason he concluded she can do better job than himself so he let her have free reins.
Old 2015-10-15, 12:10   Link #120
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
That's not the argument people are making at all though. But rather why is a civilian being allowed to just trample all over a crime scene, without the police really saying anything. No matter what her pedigree is, in just about any developed country I'm pretty sure there are certain procedures and criteria that has to be met before someone can just waltz into a crime scene and tell people what to do. As kuromitsu pointed out at least if she was designated as a police consultant that would make her just walking into a crime scene and telling the police what's what more believable and understandable. She would have at least been given some authority by the police to be able to do what she does in this show.

As it stands I'm not that bothered by it, but I can see why people would be. In this episodes particular case I'll just choke it up to the police officer she's with having some rapport with her and her family already and thus trusts her judgement on these things. Even so you'd think the higher ups would be giving this guy a stern talking to about allowing civilians all over the crime scene.
But also in real life is very common if you have someone in your family with a high position in society or at last in the core where she need(in this case police) which is very trusted and the same person probably already spread info about her own skills, then for peoples which feel under that high ups he will feel the need to obey.

Well to be fair "have important peoples in family can speak loads, i will give myself a exemple:
My grandfather was a very well know police in his department and somehow knowed in others(not a true celebrity but someone with enough connections, then this helped a lot us when he retired for some years(while he was still knowed and still have some ex-coworkers working), we could get more fastl drive licenses(less burocracy which is a big problem here), in some police checks when he was with us the police just let go or in some extreme rare cases by just know we are part of his family the police allowed to pass.

Then have someone respected around the area she is acting can help as she told we don't know how much or what he could told about her to the police.

I can bet which probably she was the type of niece which could be hanging around with her uncle, reading his cases probably going even to the department with him and things like that which helped refine her detective skills as her uncle get impressed with her.

Well in the end this is a mystery fiction and that things happening(incompetent police or passive police are pretty common in one of the new sherlock series he is pretty much a "common" guy which like to bother in the crime scenes which annoy some polices but still allowed to do since his awesome skills.

Tags
drama, thriller