Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-10-31, 02:22   Link #341
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInn14 View Post
Well, since Railways are very important in Britain, I'd assume they'd probably arrest the crazed kids.
And they're not in Japan...? This is news to me. I only take the train around 12 times a week here and that's just getting to and from school (not counting any other train-trips), so I guess you have a point...

Again,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Your cost will vary greatly depending on when you go, where you stay, and how nicely you treat yourself while you're there. With a bit more detail, advice can be given on how to best spend or save money.
As long as you don't want to stay in 5-star hotels and eat at 5-star restaurants each day, you won't have to worry about blowing $1,000 a day. For the cheapest trip, don't spend too much on goodies (I have a hard time with this) and opt to spend nights outside the cities. Go during the off-season, as well. Take the bus/train instead of taxis. Eat at places outside the city.

There's tons of things you can do to save money, really. One thing you'll definitely want to do to save money is to do some *research* on where you want to go.

Last edited by Hunter; 2007-10-31 at 17:07. Reason: do not double post
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 03:17   Link #342
Syaoran
Inactive Member

My trip to Japan in 2005 costed 4300€ for the plane (+ domestic flight Osaka-Tokyo), hotels, shikansen etc. With food, electronics and souvenirs it was >5000€.

For a normal hotel you'll pay around 10.000 to 30.000 yen per night.
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 04:21   Link #343
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by EphemeralDreams
To the ones who went, how much did it cost for your trip in total? I have around $4,000 USD and plan on going on a spending spree when I go. I just wanted to know, about the average cost of a hotel/food/etc and what people spent their money on?
My 11-day trip earlier this year cost a grand total of around S$3,000 (approx. US$2,060), but I did it in February, which is slightly before the usual tourist season. That total includes plane tickets, accomodation and a 7-day rail JR pass, so yes, I think US$4,000 would seem enough.

But then again, I was travelling backpacker style and hardly bought any souvenirs (a handful of Ghibli merchandise was all I got), so like what the others have said, it really depends on what you intend to do.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 05:14   Link #344
EphemeralDreams
I will devour your soul

Send a message via AIM to EphemeralDreams
I honestly just want to go sight seeing, I don't really mind not staying in a fancy hotel or anything. Just a place to sleep and get by. Truthfully? I probably will blow a majority of the money I bring on Eroge games (Because buying them imported is like cutting off my own arm.)

I was hoping for a good guestimate on things like place to stay/eat. I have a small frame and eat about a meal or two a day (Weird metabolism) so yeah. If 2,000 ish can cover airplane fees, a cheap inexpensive place to stay at for two weeks and a couple of bites a day. I should be fine, but I have months to save before the actual trip.

I have a friend who is also coming, so is it unusual to just rent one room? If it saves on the cost. Thanks for the replies, gives me a general idea on the cost of an average trip.

If you had to give a somewhat chart for it.. so it would be

Bare minimum

3000$ USD?

5000$ USD to cover the spending spree

5000$+ For a comfort level?
EphemeralDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 05:35   Link #345
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Well, since Railways are very important in Britain, I'd assume they'd probably arrest the crazed kids.
Yeah that's pretty much it. Do it over here the police will arrest you. So they don't get arrested over in Japan? Fine those bastards and lock em for a few weeks imho.

I live in a tolerant country, but we don't like stupid shit.

There is a small dislike towards tourists when they buy per example mushrooms without knowing how to properly take it in. Which can lead to all sort off bullcrap and then the country where that tourist is from gets mad at us? How about teaching your citizens some logic. >.> <.<
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 12:59   Link #346
JustInn14
moo

Red face D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
And they're not in Japan...? This is news to me. I only take the train around 12 times a week here and that's just getting to and from school (not counting any other train-trips), so I guess you have a point...

D'oh!! I looked up "Japanese Railway History" And it appears as though, it is very important in Japan, too. Which is good. Plus, I think the railway trains were shown (quickly) in an episode of Lucky Star!
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 13:08   Link #347
User65554
Disabled By Request

Quote:
D'oh!! I looked up "Japanese Railway History" And it appears as though, it is very important in Japan, too. Which is good. Plus, I think the railway trains were shown (quickly) in an episode of Lucky Star!
They used the trains a few times on Lucky Star...
User65554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 13:21   Link #348
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Basically, you don't *need* a car in Japan. The train/bus/ferry system and bike pretty much blankets the country. Around Tokyo, it is absolutely essential for moving the population. And the "great" thing is you can actually get relatively drunk and almost certainly get home safely unlike car-dependent parts of America.
Old 2007-10-31, 20:15   Link #349
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Basically, you don't *need* a car in Japan. The train/bus/ferry system and bike pretty much blankets the country. Around Tokyo, it is absolutely essential for moving the population. And the "great" thing is you can actually get relatively drunk and almost certainly get home safely unlike car-dependent parts of America.
Well, this is true for most Japanese that lives in the cities.
However, there are plenty of people living in the inaka (countryside) areas that does *need* cars to live. Believe it or not, there are still areas where it's several hours walk to the nearest train station, and the bus comes only twice a day.
Old 2007-11-01, 03:20   Link #350
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
I honestly just want to go sight seeing, I don't really mind not staying in a fancy hotel or anything. Just a place to sleep and get by.

I was hoping for a good guestimate on things like place to stay/eat. I have a small frame and eat about a meal or two a day (Weird metabolism) so yeah. If 2,000 ish can cover airplane fees, a cheap inexpensive place to stay at for two weeks and a couple of bites a day. I should be fine, but I have months to save before the actual trip.
These are my slightly outdated guesstimates:

1. One single room in budget ryokan: from JPY 6,000 to 9,000 per night. (These are the ones with shared baths. I recommend you try -- don't be shy! It's part of the holiday experience.)

2. One budget meal: from JPY 350 to 1,500 (the cheapest places to eat in Tokyo, surprisingly enough, are in the major train stations -- go where the local salarymen eat.)

3. One adult 7-day JR Pass: JPY 28,300 (It's only really worth it if you're planning to ride the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka and back.)

4. One day of mass rapid public transport [in Tokyo]: around JPY 1,500 (I found public transportation to be quite expensive actually. Maybe I did something wrong.)

On average, I was getting by on around JPY 7,000 (~US$61) a day, not including accomodation. This does not include shopping -- I reckon I spent around JPY 16,000 (~US$140) on souvenirs and stuff. Most importantly, I wasn't out partying till the wee hours of the night -- now that would really cost you.

Quote:
Truthfully? I probably will blow a majority of the money I bring on Eroge games (Because buying them imported is like cutting off my own arm.)
I have no idea how much that would cost. I only droped by to Akihabara to check out all the "good" stuff, but I didn't check the prices.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 03:23   Link #351
Samari
World's Greatest

So guys, what about the value of the American dollar decreasing? If I want to go in summer, is this going to be a huge problem?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 04:12   Link #352
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The dollar goes up and down against the yen a little bit <shrug> but though the Canadian dollar vs the US dollar is the worst its been in 40-something years (!!! 94 cents to the dollar, omfg!!!)
.... the yen versus the dollar is relatively static.

Usually you get around 120yen per dollar plus or minus about 10%. --- today it was 115 yen/dollar. I've seen it as low as 107 and as high as 125. Not a lot of difference, eh? Through some fantastic manipulations and shady card dealing the japanese yen doesn't vary much against the dollar ..... so far. You're probably taking little risk in planning ahead.

If foreign investors start selling dollars, dumping bonds, or otherwise bailing on the US play money structures ... things may get toasty.

Like other posters note, if you're the type who travels to "hobnob with the locals" like me (no 5-star hotel thank you give me the family-run ryoko and tips on their favorite noodle shops and local stores) -- you can get away as cheap or cheaper than traveling in the US ($50-$150/day).

Use this site for keeping tabs on currency exchange, it updates once a minute or so: http://www.xe.com/
Old 2007-11-01, 04:19   Link #353
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
3. One adult 7-day JR Pass: JPY 28,300 (It's only really worth it if you're planning to ride the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka and back.)
What can you take with a JR Pass? The Shinkansen? Local trains?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 04:45   Link #354
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What can you take with a JR Pass? The Shinkansen? Local trains?
Pretty much all JR group operated trains, with the distinct exception of the Nozomi.

Need to remember it won't let you on local privately operated lines though, which you may need to use to get to some more out of the way places. When I was there I spent some time south of Mishima, which required travel on the Sunzu Line. Had to pay for each journey there as the company isn't related JR East. Wasn't expensive at all compared to the UK prices though, so I didn't mind. For me the JR pass paid for itself on the Shinkansen, as TinyRedLeaf suggested. I don't think I moved around enough to make it really good value, but it was worth it for the simplicity/speed alone (no queue for tickets, etc.).
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 05:08   Link #355
EphemeralDreams
I will devour your soul

Send a message via AIM to EphemeralDreams
Thanks all for the helpful tips, I was a bit worried that I didn't have enough. But i'll save a bit more before the initial trip after hearing all of you.

Also, eroge games from what I experience are generally around 6,000 - 9,500 yen? But when you import them usually from himeyashop they generally are roughly about +5,000 more yen and then theres shipping..
EphemeralDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 06:41   Link #356
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Usually you get around 120yen per dollar plus or minus about 10%. --- today it was 115 yen/dollar. I've seen it as low as 107 and as high as 125.
I just want to point out that about ¥117/$1 and up is really good - especially when you hit ¥120 - but ¥111~¥115 seems to be the norm (since I've been here).
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 11:54   Link #357
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
The dollar goes up and down against the yen a little bit <shrug> but though the Canadian dollar vs the US dollar is the worst its been in 40-something years (!!! 94 cents to the dollar, omfg!!!)
.... the yen versus the dollar is relatively static.

Usually you get around 120yen per dollar plus or minus about 10%. --- today it was 115 yen/dollar. I've seen it as low as 107 and as high as 125. Not a lot of difference, eh? Through some fantastic manipulations and shady card dealing the japanese yen doesn't vary much against the dollar ..... so far. You're probably taking little risk in planning ahead.

If foreign investors start selling dollars, dumping bonds, or otherwise bailing on the US play money structures ... things may get toasty.

Like other posters note, if you're the type who travels to "hobnob with the locals" like me (no 5-star hotel thank you give me the family-run ryoko and tips on their favorite noodle shops and local stores) -- you can get away as cheap or cheaper than traveling in the US ($50-$150/day).

Use this site for keeping tabs on currency exchange, it updates once a minute or so: http://www.xe.com/
Thanks a lot.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2007-11-01, 18:03   Link #358
Gaiarth

If you are on a tight budget, the Kimi Ryokan is a good place to stay in Tokyo. It's pretty cheap (with the drawback being it's pretty basic, you get no TV in your room), it's handily located, and there is pretty much always somebody interesting to meet staying there. Also, they are very relaxed about what times you come back at night. They are very popular, though, so you would have to book a good way in advance.

Outside of Tokyo, the Japanese Inn Group run some nice but fairly inexpensive places. And they are used to catering to foreigners. I've always stayed at the Hiraiwa when I've been to Kyoto and they were always very friendly.

On my visits I've always given myself a daily budget of Y10,000 a day. That includes accomodation, food, local transport, shrine visit fees, etc. And I lived quite comfortably on that. If you aren't worried too much about luxury it's pretty easy to do. If travelling about Japan a lot I'll get a Japan Rail Pass, it really does save a lot of money. (A trip from Tokyo - Kyoto and another back is nearly as expensive as a 7 day pass.)

Of course, I also take a lot of 'souvenier' money, so my trips turn out expensive even though I travel 'budget'
Gaiarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 03:05   Link #359
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

Well.. taking the shinkanesen twice pretty much pays for your entire JR pass. Just for fun, I looked for ways to take the bullet train as much as I possibly could, regardless of distance .

As for not needing a car for transportation and getting home safe after a night on the town, trains do shut down around midnight in Tokyo, but there are plenty of cheap places to stay to kill the time or to pass out.. cybercafes being one of them.

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 05:13   Link #360
Samari
World's Greatest

Excellent. Thanks people. Is there anything in terms of travel items that I won't be sorry that I purchased/packed them?

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。

Tags
japan, travel