AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-12-05, 01:44   Link #1
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Favorite Weapons from Anime

Search results showed no such topic in existance here. As such, I decided to start one. The title of the thread says it all. Weapons. They're an extension of the arm and foot or a defining metaphor for the individual. Some are very plain, some are very decorative, some are completely out of this world. Anime has seen lots of stylish makes and gimics. What are your favorites? Some things you could discuss:

- The inherent design and look of the weapon
- The name of the weapon
- The capabilities of the weapon
- The way the weapon is used or comes into use
- The character who uses the weapon

I would say restrict your picks to those that you can actually wear, grip, or don (i.e. armored suits). No doomsday devices or the like. :P

Some examples:

Hakuoro's Tessen (Utawarerumono): I don't see a lot of weapons in anime in the shape of a fan. But the animators did an awesome job with it in this series. It's metal, opens and closes, and has been known to block downward slashes from 30 foot gargantuans (you have to see it to believe it lol). Hakuoro uses it mostly for defense, parrying sword swipes and deflecting arrows, and that gives him a "paladin"-esque feel.

Tensa Zangetsu (BLEACH): Please, what more convenient excuse to sport the Facist integrity do you need? Jokes aside, I've always like the look of the Japanese katana, emitting a kind of proud, noble aura from its curve. Seeing Kurosaki Ichigo go from big, oversized blades to this one is an allegory to his maturing spiritual energy. Plus, I've never seen a guard in that shape before. Nice look - Ichigo included, when he does use this weapon.

Go ahead. Swords, firearms, mecha suits, mecha weapons, starfish (CLANNAD lol), or just plain Kinomoto Sakura's winged staff. -_-
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 05:49   Link #2
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

I like the "Screamer" lance that Brother Petro from Trinity Blood uses. It's a mechanical melee weapon where the head spins rapidly, obliterating almost anything the lance hits. I definitely wouldn't want to go up against someone swinging that around

Wolfwood's cross. I don't really know what to say other than it practically secretes awesomeness. A dozen handguns, an automatic, and a rocket launcher all rolled into 1. Plus, it's a freaking cross carried by a gunslinging priest!

Since you mentioned mecha's, I'm going to note a few. The God Gundam from G Gundam. I'm pretty sure the name explains it all
The Nirvash from Eureka Seven. This LFO is total hax at the end of the series. Also from Eureka Seven, theEnd. It's less powerful then the Nirvash, but it's much cooler.
Karen's Guren from Code Geass. It blows up other knightmare frames just by touching them .
The Siegfried that Orange-kun pilots at the end of Code Geass is probably the best knightmare frame seen to date in the series.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 06:08   Link #3
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Out of all the staff weapon from magical girl anime, Raging Heart has claimed my no.1, surpassing any other magical girl staff, many shounan weapons and even other mecha guns. This weapon is the penultimate 'beam rifle' as it is a multipurpose field gun, shield projection device with integrated ECM capability built in, and a battlefield aide.

-Idling mode is no more than a bead.
-Device mode is a one-handed staff, with the Axel shooter (multiple smart target seeking beams and even the crossfire charged beam attack doable.
-Shooting mode gives Nanoha her Divine Buster attack, a precision energy field gun.
-Exceed mode with blaster levels is a spear form, used when Nanoha requires tactical or strategic bombardment abilities. Moreover, the ability to deploy several 'funnels'.

Drills have always existed, and it's not practical as a weapon, but in Gurren Lagann, this drill is taken to its extreme. A drill that really cannot drill anything ends up being a metaphor for evolution and humanity, as it pierces through everything... even the heavens.

Fortress Iserlohn in Legend of Galactic Heroes take the idea of death star, and marry it with a harbor. It's armor scheme, being a dense liquid sticks out to me greatly and I find it to be the most believable for manmade combat satellite design. The defense turrets can simply drift around, and the main can also change its angle of fire over the sphere is quite a logical thing to see.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2007-12-05 at 06:37.
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 06:27   Link #4
-PoLLuX-
死体。。。上手にうめられた?
*Graphic Designer

I like the Cleaver/ Nata/ Machete/ Hatchet/ Axe or whatever Rena from Higurashi is holding, it looks like an Cleaver with a sharp blade at the end so it can hook into something. I probably like this very plain weapon since the world of Higurashi isn't a fantasy type of world where everyone you see has their own special weapon.

I like the Chains from Curapika in Hunter X Hunter, I think they are great and a very creative type of weapon. I wouldn't have imagined how cool having chains on your fingers would look as cool as that. Each finger has one special chain with a unique ability and they can trap you and stab you and do all sorts of things. There is too much to say about that weapon so I can't be bothered.
-PoLLuX- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 06:57   Link #5
Oppius
Banned

Freedom and Strike Freedom from Gundam Seed & Destiny.

I prefer Freedom better because both Kira and Cagalli once in there.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 07:53   Link #6
Honey_and_Cleaver

Super fist from Scryed, the best weapons are with bare hands.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 07:57   Link #7
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
I like the lightsabe type sword thing from Naruto. With Ao and Ibiki's little brother..yea
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 08:02   Link #8
Gaiarth

I've always quite liked The Bloody Card, as used by Yuri in the Dirty Pair. Small, easily carried, quite stylish and best used on crowds
Gaiarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 08:37   Link #9
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Kazuhiko's hand device thing from Clover (Clamp manga)..

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 13:58   Link #10
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Out of all the staff weapon from magical girl anime, Raging Heart has claimed my no.1, surpassing any other magical girl staff, many shounan weapons and even other mecha guns. This weapon is the penultimate 'beam rifle' as it is a multipurpose field gun, shield projection device with integrated ECM capability built in, and a battlefield aide.

-Idling mode is no more than a bead.
-Device mode is a one-handed staff, with the Axel shooter (multiple smart target seeking beams and even the crossfire charged beam attack doable.
-Shooting mode gives Nanoha her Divine Buster attack, a precision energy field gun.
-Exceed mode with blaster levels is a spear form, used when Nanoha requires tactical or strategic bombardment abilities. Moreover, the ability to deploy several 'funnels'.
totally agree with ya on this, great piece of weapon/equipment. One of my favs.

always liked the Knife with a wire attachment, a very cool tool indeed, like what Hei uses in Darker Than Black.

gotta love the Bonta-Kun suit from FMP:Fumoffu, its a piece of hardware that owns all, better than them auto-aim hax G-suits

also I think everyone should be aware that the mighty Harisen is the ultimate weapon, EVERYONE should fear the might and greatness that is the Harisen
Old 2007-12-05, 14:14   Link #11
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
- Ideon Gun from Densetsu Kyojin Ideon, which is used by hooking up the Wave Leader Cannon to the Ideon's power supply. It's capabilities are quite extraordinary.

- Satellite Cannon from Gundam X is charged by having a Newtype link up with D.O.M.E on the moon, which sends down a beam of microwave energy that the Gundam X catches and uses to charge the Satellite Cannon. It's capable of shooting down a colony.

- Moonlight Butterfly from Turn A Gundam is activated quite simply and destroys any and all inorganic material it comes in contact with.

- Fin Funnels from Char's Counterattack are thought activated by a Psychoframe and the pilot can control them over great distances, shoot beams and form a shield or stabbing weapons with them.

- Yamato Gun, from Uchuu Senken Yamato is just a classic wide burst weapon that destroys everything in it's path (sort of) and is located on the bow of the Yamato.

- Variable Speed Beam Rifle (VSBR) from Gundam F91 can be set to either a wide range burst of raw power or a narrow beam that will pierce right through most shields.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 15:28   Link #12
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
- Ideon Gun from Densetsu Kyojin Ideon, which is used by hooking up the Wave Leader Cannon to the Ideon's power supply. It's capabilities are quite extraordinary.

- Satellite Cannon from Gundam X is charged by having a Newtype link up with D.O.M.E on the moon, which sends down a beam of microwave energy that the Gundam X catches and uses to charge the Satellite Cannon. It's capable of shooting down a colony.

- Moonlight Butterfly from Turn A Gundam is activated quite simply and destroys any and all inorganic material it comes in contact with.

- Fin Funnels from Char's Counterattack are thought activated by a Psychoframe and the pilot can control them over great distances, shoot beams and form a shield or stabbing weapons with them.

- Variable Speed Beam Rifle (VSBR) from Gundam F91 can be set to either a wide range burst of raw power or a narrow beam that will pierce right through most shields.
Yep all those are awesome weapons. My favorite weapon
Broken Magnum/Phantom- best flying fist attack, and well the weapon it self it pretty power as it could break the Zonders barrier and Broken Phantom was able to break Primeval's barrier with ease.
Goldion Hammer- I love this weapon, the design and how it's used. Goldion Hammer basically is able to disintegrate anything into nothing.
Goldion Crusher- probably the best weapon ever and well it's just a bigger version of Goldion Hammer and big I mean HUGE. It's probably big as a building I will just say that.
Old 2007-12-05, 15:29   Link #13
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I feel that I need to add the GAR glasses into my list of just ridiculous and awe-inspiring weapons. It is the other half to the drill overload.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 15:59   Link #14
Tonytime20
Kona (coffee) Junkie

What about the series that use regular (real) weapons such as gunslinger girl, etc.? Realism is important to me in a serious series, and real world weapons and such make the series much more believable. Plus I'm a gun collector so maybe my opinion is a bit biased. Regardless... BANG!

Last edited by Tonytime20; 2007-12-05 at 15:59. Reason: spelling correction!
Tonytime20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 19:04   Link #15
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

the GPB armor for Macross VF-1 fighters, when that thing unloads it's missiles it friggin rocks

Akari's cannon (Night Wizard) as well as Duran's cannons (Natsuki Kuga's child in Mai Hime) have that real cool oldfashioned loading mechanism going on
Old 2007-12-05, 20:43   Link #16
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
Some examples:

Hakuoro's Tessen (Utawarerumono): I don't see a lot of weapons in anime in the shape of a fan. But the animators did an awesome job with it in this series. It's metal, opens and closes, and has been known to block downward slashes from 30 foot gargantuans (you have to see it to believe it lol). Hakuoro uses it mostly for defense, parrying sword swipes and deflecting arrows, and that gives him a "paladin"-esque feel.
Dude, you stole mine! I was totally gonna say that! Oh, well....

Since that weapon from Utawarerumono was taken, I'll go for this one:

Karura's Sword (Utawarerumono): This sword is ridiculously huge AND heavy. Kurou tried to pick this up with all his might, but couldn't. Then Karura (full name: Karurauatsuurei) picks it up with ONE HAND. I mention it because it's the perfect example of ridiculous, but it's not even close to Karura's strength. She crushes boulders and broke no less than three of her own swords (even when sticking two together) when facing off against Benawi. The sword's edge is second-rate, but the material is more or less indestructible (not to mention ridiculously heavy). Every scene where Karura is fighting, the enemy soldiers' limbs go flying off the top of the screen.

Here's what she looks like, holding her sword and punching an enemy soldier in the face when he tried to attack her. (That's right, half the time she doesn't even need to use her sword. The woman's like a freaking army unto herself when she has her sword. I never saw her fall down, even once, while fighting.)
Spoiler for Karura looks like she punched off his head....:
Old 2007-12-05, 21:12   Link #17
Sakura_Kinomoto
Kaede/Ama Fan boy

I would have say the Clow staff from Cardcaptor Sakura, The one that sakura herself uses of course its a great weapon with the capability of summoning all of the clow cards persona's into battle, much more powerful than Tonytime20's convential guns lol
Sakura_Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 21:26   Link #18
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
I like that BFG Akari was using in Night Wizard (not her Gun-Broom, the really BFG she used).
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 22:13   Link #19
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Sword: Zankantou - a blade that cleaves through evil, standing at a length of 25 ~ 200+
Gun: HTB Cannon - a gun 40 metres long. last seen shooting at the sun causing a supernova.
Spear: Longinus Spear - threw so fast and far it got stuck in an orbit between the Earth and the Moon.
Hammer: Goldion Crusher - last used to destroy a star along with the rest of its solar system.
Staff: Raging Heart - a handy weapon of mass destruction suited to a little girl(was thinking, The Sterling Inferno, as well)
Axe: Haruko's Gibson - smashes stuff, shoots bullets and may play music.
Eyes: The Geas - nice to have. (also thinking, Mikuru's assorted contact lenses of death)
Hands: God Finger - the burning hand that tells you that it wants to defeat your opponents.
Legs: The way of the Inazuma Kick - may destroy a universe if executed with enough guts, effort and determination. (suddenly remembered Tomoyo's legs)
Wings: Moonlight Butterfly - threw civilisation back 3000 years.
Rocket Punch: Broken Magnum - homes in and destroys everything you want it to. Returns to you after use.
Funnels: Fin Funnels - so awesome that some people had to copy from it.
Shades: Gurren Boomerang - last seen slicing through a bunch of heads.
Drill: The Drill(s)™. - always in our heart, our soul and drills through the heavens.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/

Last edited by C.A.; 2007-12-06 at 02:30.
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 22:23   Link #20
d.sinclair

Always loved the black and white dual pistol thing, like in Trigun, Hellsing, and Gungrave. so badass :3
d.sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote