AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-16, 03:36   Link #1241
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottocycle View Post
One thing I don't understand is, for all this talk regarding having a predictable ending, shipping, "boring"-Charlotte-end-implications, why not we all just sit back and enjoy the show?
So you're saying we shouldn't discuss the show in this thread like we're supposed to do?

Basically just gonna echo what Sinestra just said, we're just discussing the future of the series. I don't see any harm in that at all. This thread has been quite good with there being no shipping, because i seriously thought we'd see it in the early stages of the series.
Old 2009-08-16, 03:42   Link #1242
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
So you're saying we shouldn't discuss the show in this thread like we're supposed to do?

Basically just gonna echo what Sinestra just said, we're just discussing the future of the series. I don't see any harm in that at all. This thread has been quite good with there being no shipping, because i seriously thought we'd see it in the early stages of the series.
Well we've had some traces of vitriol coming up, and I'd hate to see enjoyable discussion degrade into shipwars. Who knows what'll happen when the dramatic parts come up. Of course speculation is fine, but once the neg reps, insults and overassumptions start coming in, ohh dear..
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 06:25   Link #1243
Arya

About boring feeling, it was not intented to be offensive in any way, it is not like I dislike Charlotte. It is the plot that seems to be boring to me. Seeing the end from afar takes away interest from the other girl’s efforts and developments. I mean, it’s like (sort of) watching a football match knowing the final score, you keep on enjoying it, but in a relaxed way. And in these cases, anyways, I prefer when obstacles/problems help to close up, to grow up a not-yet-relationship instead of a close up couple that have to face them together. But this is a matter of own taste, so don't be bothered.

Ah, about Shuffle, it has such an atipical plot that it’s not possible to compare to, imho. And to do that they had to "kill" a killer character as Kaede.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 07:35   Link #1244
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Rant on shipping incoming, sails ahoy!

The way i see it, really, most of the claims that the show is "boring" and "predictable" and the ones of similar nature regarding a possible Charlotte ending is shipping. I can't really take it much different than "This show would be so much better if would look like my favorite girl is about to win" ... no, really I question the implied notion that the writing of this show would have benefited in any way if they were gearing towards another end.

Predictable ? It would be no less predictable if it was steering towards another direction (assuming the writer cares about development), because we would be seeing different developments on screen. What is mostly seen as "predictable" for the most part just means the show is having coherent narrative and is consistent in the aims it is trying to achieve. If the writer has a specific ending in mind, he must develop the story in a way the destination makes sense once you are there and look back at the journey. The word is almost being used as a flaw of the show, it isn't necessarily the case. This show is, besides other things, a romance show. Which means it is about relationships. If the goal of this show is a Charlotte ending, it makes sense she and her developments with Teppei take up a good portion of the screentime; the journey should be able to support the ending, and devoting screentime towards supporting the foundation for that is required. It would be the same if the show was aiming for, say, Seika's ending - we would see Seika spending time with Teppei in some manner, her issues being brought to front so Teppei can focus on them and as an extension towards her, and so forth. Same for any other girl.

The writing or storytelling techniques wouldn't really change much - what would change is about whom the story is mostly writing about. It is indeed perfectly normal to have preferences between characters and wanting to see more of X over Y, but just because a show isn't delivering what you specifically want is no flaw of the show. It is easy to make claims like "boring", but in the end that says more about your expectations (or more likely: what you want) than it does about the show. One might find Seika interesting and wants more focus on her. I believe the absence of her very existence would make for a superior viewing experience. So which one of us would be right ? Which of those would be the "correct" option for the show to take ? Neither, really, and if we aren't careful in such notions they can be easily blown out of proportion to the point where we start seeing our unfulfilled wishes as flaws of the show to some magnitude.

If the show continues on the current vein, keeps allocating screentime to interactions between Charlotte and Teppei and developing their relationship, and ends with them as a couple on the final note, then i can look back and say the show had decent writing (depending on how we get there, but lets ignore this part for now). If they are indeed building up said ending, they are doing a reasonable job thus far, and the focus is generally in the right place. Not focusing on something else isn't necessarily a flaw of the show either. It could be nice, it could be bad, it could be beneficial, it could be deterring - deeper focus on the other girls (Which we may still get to some degree) can be any number of things, but isn't a requirement if they are setting up a definite eventual couple from the start. It doesn't need to be "unpredictable" to be good - most of the time, as far as relationships are involved, the verdict seems to be the opposite in the end.

So ..yea, do excuse my rant, but i felt like getting this out of the way - i have experienced more shipping wars in the past than i would care about, and while this one here isn't nearly as bad some of the echoes from the past, there is definitely something brewing under the surface. Lets not go there to keep the atmosphere of the thread enjoyable, rather than frustrating

(And please no Shuffle comparisons, there is a reason why that show is considered to have several trainwreck moments in terms of writing )
Old 2009-08-16, 10:25   Link #1245
Wrath88
Kissing...

I dunno now... after going through a few days worth in the game, I somehow think that with Charlotte's character, one can't exactly say for sure that 'Oh, she's definitely going to end with him because she always goes on the offensive'... That's just how she is, and Teppei may still end up with another girl.

Or it could just be me imagining too much.
Old 2009-08-16, 10:56   Link #1246
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, I'm quite late but here it comes anyway:

Princess Lover! episode 07 (tentative)
Spoiler for 2chan thread for Princess Lover! episode 07 (tentative):
GUIDELINES / RULES:
- Do NOT spread the 2chan link.
- If you want to quote my post, then please ERASE THE URL.
- If you want to (re)post screenshots from 2chan, then reload them on Imageshack and kindly supply the new links. In other words, do NOT hotlink. Why? It's simple: when the short-lived 2chan threads get junked along with their contents (aka screencaps), the broken urls automatically lead the user to a pageful of adult advertisements, a category of content outlawed by Animesuki's policy on inappropriate material.

Forewarning:
I'll erase the URL in a few hours (at least until the first raw or blog entry appears you-know-where) so, if you want to visit the page later on, save my link somewhere (in your bookmarks or notepad...whatever) while it's still up.

EDIT: link once again preemptively removed since I won't be there to take it down tomorrow. Just keep your eyes peeled for the raw and you'll be inevitably rewarded.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2009-08-16 at 18:36. Reason: 2chan link removal.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 11:17   Link #1247
Key Board
Carbon

LOL

genre shift
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 12:02   Link #1248
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Rant on shipping incoming, sails ahoy!

The writing or storytelling techniques wouldn't really change much - what would change is about whom the story is mostly writing about. It is indeed perfectly normal to have preferences between characters and wanting to see more of X over Y, but just because a show isn't delivering what you specifically want is no flaw of the show. It is easy to make claims like "boring", but in the end that says more about your expectations (or more likely: what you want) than it does about the show. One might find Seika interesting and wants more focus on her. I believe the absence of her very existence would make for a superior viewing experience. So which one of us would be right ? Which of those would be the "correct" option for the show to take ? Neither, really, and if we aren't careful in such notions they can be easily blown out of proportion to the point where we start seeing our unfulfilled wishes as flaws of the show to some magnitude.

[/SIZE]
Skyfall the only part of your post i really disagree with is this little bit in this paragraph. The way you worded the paragraphed and generally feel of it makes it sound like you saying do not have expectations said series being viewed. I dont think you meant for it be viewed that way, we all know that everyone has their own expectations with not that just anime but in life in general. The debate over weather its the end result that matters or the how we happen to come to that end i feel is different from everyone. Also, length time and time invested in watching a series is a factor. If someone who has been watching anime 25 years reaches a different conclusion than someone whos been watching for say 2 years neither are wrong time and circumstance and their particular view on the world has shaped their expectations neither of them wrong just different.

interesting rant.

Last edited by Sinestra; 2009-08-16 at 12:36.
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 12:19   Link #1249
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Spoiler for Skyfall's Rant:
I do agree with that for the most part. The real issue is the Genre it's presented in. It's a Harem. Not a regular Romance. The other 3 should have been presented as non-romantic prospects if they just wanted to focus on Charlotte. Alot of people like Harems/reverse-harems because you don't know until the end who he/she will end up with. Really it's like advertising something as one thing, when in reality it's really something else. If Anything it's a disfigured Love triangle at this point. And I Don't mind, the only thing that bugs me is this was presented as a Harem. Granted, This is the first normal Harem I have ever watched. I usually watch Reverse Harems, so I really didn't know what to expect. Then again I expected equal focus on all the girls, which obviously, hasn't happened. Then again my view may be horribly biased as well.
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 12:34   Link #1250
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
Then again I expected equal focus on all the girls, which obviously, hasn't happened.
I believe this is the point that people have been trying to make. Its not that its predictable its not that its boring. Even if its clear that a character will win people are going to want at least some focus on the other female characters if not equal focus on all of them. I dont think its biased to ask for character development from girls who are suppose to be his potential love interest.

PL is still very good and we still have a decent amount of episodes to go. Our opinion could change over the next 2 weeks
Old 2009-08-16, 13:34   Link #1251
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I believe this is the point that people have been trying to make. Its not that its predictable its not that its boring. Even if its clear that a character will win people are going to want at least some focus on the other female characters if not equal focus on all of them. I dont think its biased to ask for character development from girls who are suppose to be his potential love interest.

PL is still very good and we still have a decent amount of episodes to go. Our opinion could change over the next 2 weeks

Here's a point that I can agree with, but I really think that's jumping the gun a bit in itself. I myself would be pretty angry if Seika only gets the fourth episode for her development, but we a good amount of episodes left as you said, and I'm sure there's plenty of more ground to cover from her (and every other girl for that matter) path in the visual novel. If the show can give equal treatment for all girls, then I don't think having a predictable ending would be all to bad in the end. Let's just be a little patient here guys, your favorite girl's time to shine will end up happening sooner or later (hopefully).
Old 2009-08-16, 14:02   Link #1252
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

This incredible sunlight! Did Django interfere with the anime?! Taiyouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Spoiler for ep7:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 14:34   Link #1253
zato_1one

Episode 6 looks like a time skipped for me. All girls suddenly accept their love toward Teppei and they even make a pact together. Just when and where does this development come from? They really look like they're fully developed at this point.

Quote:
Then again I expected equal focus on all the girls, which obviously, hasn't happened.
And I doubt that will happen.

Spoiler for ep7:
Old 2009-08-16, 14:35   Link #1254
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

What a Ridiculous turn of events...

Spoiler for 7:

I'm going to go watch Sora no Manimani to get this taste out of my mouth...

Last edited by Foreshadow; 2009-08-16 at 14:50.
Old 2009-08-16, 14:52   Link #1255
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep7:
Quote:
Spoiler for 7:
Like I've already said what Charlotte really lacks is common sense. =_="
Old 2009-08-16, 15:19   Link #1256
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

well after this episode the outcome seems pretty much set in stone....
a shame that Yuu never had any time or development....

Oh well....Fight-O Charlotte!

Quote:
Spoiler for 7:
Hey maybe you get your wish...

Spoiler:

Last edited by Manji Midou; 2009-08-16 at 15:29.
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 15:34   Link #1257
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Response:
Old 2009-08-16, 16:05   Link #1258
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:

Spoiler for 7:

Thanks for confirming my fears. Well I still think its a fun series thats what makes this tolerable and not that disappointing. Good choice on Sora no Manimani I still have Aoi Hana so its all good for me.
Old 2009-08-16, 18:13   Link #1259
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:

Spoiler for 7:

Why, oh why, can't I predict lottery numbers and winning horses at the track, like I can predict anime?

Once again, the tried and true formulas are used. Very rarely do you see the 4th wall broken. -sigh-
Old 2009-08-16, 18:16   Link #1260
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Very rarely do you see the 4th wall broken. -sigh-
Him ending up with Nazu?
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi, eroge, romance, seinen