AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-30, 01:43   Link #1
ReAcrylicMetal

Long Manga

I've found myself ripping through hundreds of chapters of manga and I'd love to find another great one. I'm not looking for a specific genre, but action/comedy and sci-fi/psychological are my favorite types. (I've been more into the action/comedy lately)

Action/Comedy I've loved:
GTO
Kyou Kara Ore Wa!
Beezlebub
Zippy Ziggy
Hareluya II Boy
(Note that the mains of all these are pretty twisted and strong with way too much confidence so please don't suggest any of the many ones that are about some kid that gradually becomes tougher after getting beaten multiple times and using their determination/morals)

Sci-fi/fantasy/psychological:
Guardian Dog
Homunculus
Defense Devil
Psyren

Other ones I've been enjoying:
Addicted to Curry
Gamble Fish
Arakawa Under The Bridge

Suggestions don't have to necessarily fit those genres. If its long you and you think its good enough to read through all the way then don't hesitate to suggest it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Don't bother suggesting the super popular ones that are now anime such as Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, FMA. I'm quite familiar with them already.
Old 2011-05-30, 02:08   Link #2
jedinat

You're probably familiar with Ranma 1/2, but I'd suggest reading it if you haven't. It's entertaining all the way through, and 38 volumes should last you a bit.

More action comedy to be had with Angel Densetsu, one of my very favorite manga. Clocks in at 15 volumes.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - 14 volumes
Feels like literature in a sea of manga "genre fiction." Great slice-of-life science fiction.

Gokusen - 15 volumes
Hilarious, a josei take on delinquent manga.

Kanata Kara - 14 volumes
The best fantasy epic to be found in manga, and it's shoujo! *gasp*

Please Save My Earth - 12 volumes
I guess I'll throw some more shoujo out there while I'm at it. This definitely falls into the "sci-fi/fantasy/psychological" category... all three, actually.
Old 2011-05-30, 02:15   Link #3
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

You don't seem to have Toriko on your list, it is Shounen Jump's 4th most popular manga after One Piece, Naruto and Bleach and they've been heavily promoting it recently trying to get it to take over Bleach.

Its a manga set in a world that revolves around gourmet food, chefs and hunters who hunt for the best ingredients. But ingredients don't come easy, they are insanely strong monsters that even a normal human army couldn't take down, only super human 'Gourmet Hunters' can accomplish. Very entertaining and interesting read, side effect is that it usually makes people hungry for food.

And there's one of the greatest shounen series ever, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, which has been running since 1987. 7 parts has since been completed from 1987 to 2011, and a totally new part 8 has just been released this month.

Like its title suggests, it has some of the most bizarre and insane fighting scenes and plots you can find in any shounen. People try to kill each other with stuff from normal fists, a game of rock paper scissors, zippers to time manipulation and a whole ton of stuff normal human minds can't imagine. It's a shounen where fighters use their brains more than their muscles.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2011-05-30, 03:20   Link #4
[MrSonic]

Send a message via ICQ to [MrSonic]
ReAcrylicMetal, pretty good manga you've listed. I read all of them and disliked only Denfense Devil (though you definitely should check out previous author's manhwa - Shin ANgyo Onshi, it's very good).

Here's what I would recommend, best 100+ chapters shounens I've read (mostly action/comedy):

Ghost Sweeper Mikami (complete)
Karakuri Circus
Konjiki no Gash!! (complete)
Mahou Sensei Negima
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro (complete) - twisted MC.
Psycometrer Eiji
Sket Dance
Toriko
Violinist of Hameln (complete) - twisted MC.
Ushio to Tora (complete)
Yanki-kun no Megame-chan
Yureka - twisted MC.

My personal Top 5 (among shounens only) are: Gintama, One Piece, Violinist of Hameln, Sket Dance and Rurouni Kenshin.

Last edited by [MrSonic]; 2011-05-30 at 03:33.
Old 2011-05-30, 14:58   Link #5
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I 2nd Toriko, Yankee-Kun to Megane-chan and Ghost Sweeper Mikami

I'll recommend

ID - a fantasy fusion of elves, dragons etc and asian martial arts.
Theres world travel, time travel and battle siwth God like beings.
Great comedy and characters, altho the story kinda stales at times but still my favorite manhwa.
25 vol. still ongoing, with scans at vol.19.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi - I recently got back into this series and it's well worth a look if you like a great shounen fight series.
Thing is this series has a MC thats like what you don't want to see but I have to say that you should really give it a chance.
It's one of the rare times where classic shounen hero done very very well.
43 vol. still ongoing, with scans up to date.

Fairy Tail - You haven't mentioned that, so I'll throw that in as well.
A great story of mages, action, comedy and epic GAR!(Highly recommend this one).
25 vol. still ongoing, with scans up to date.

Witch Hunter - my 2nd fav manhwa, epic tale of witches, magic and the sort.
Very funny and has a pretty good story IMO.
11 vol. still ongoing, with scans i think up to date.

Nurarihyon no Mago - More shounen fluff, the MC here is abit of both worlds, weak & strong.
13 vol. still ongoing, with scans I think up to date.

The World God Only Knows - something a little different from what I mentioned before.
A oddball series, thats def worth a look if you like comedy.
12 vol. still ongoing with scans up to date.
Old 2011-05-30, 15:00   Link #6
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Seconding Toriko and Ghost sweeper Mikami, adding Until Death Do Us Part , Zetman, Wolf Guy - wolf's crest and Jesus (all with LOTS of violence and gore, be prepared). Also adding Lost+Brain, kind of a death-note feel to it although small, and Record of a fallen Vampire, amazing on many levels, but especially the characters and plot. If you have time for Manhwa, I'll suggest Witch Hunter, Yureka and The Breaker. Out of those three, the Breaker may seem to have a shounen approach of "get stronger and beat them" but looks can be very deceptive at times^^

EDIT:
Mx0 - school life, comedy, action, fantasy
Hoshi no Samidare - supernatural, action
RAVE - shounen, comedy, fantasy

Last edited by Kafriel; 2011-05-31 at 00:02.
Old 2011-05-30, 15:08   Link #7
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Hoshi no Samidare.
Aria.
Liar Game.
One Outs.
Homunculus.
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia.
Beck.
Shingeki no Kyojin.
Chrno Crusade.
World Embryo.
Noblesse.
Akumetsu.
H2.
Cross Game.
Vampire Juujikai.
Nononono.

Most of these aren't that long.
Old 2011-05-30, 15:23   Link #8
Zakoo

Hmm, Hayate no Gotoku I guess ?
Old 2011-05-30, 19:18   Link #9
Haladflire65
*Artist

Seconding Until Death Do Us Part.

Hmmmm.... others you may like - they're mostly from action/drama/fantasy genres, my favourites

Hellsing - 10 volumes of awesome gory vampire action
The Breaker (haven't read this yet myself but is quite long and is a similar style to UDDUP)
Shin Angyo Onshi - Excellent fantasy/action Korean manhwa, one of my favourites. 17 volumes I think.
Vagabond - Epic samurai story of famous samurai Miyamoto Musashi. The art is amazing. I think it's nearing 30 volumes and is still going strong.
Gintama - Shounen Jump comedy/action/adventure manga, I personally find the anime to be better but still worth a shot
Kuroshitsuji - Might not be your type but is at 11 volumes I think, with nice occasional action, nice art and cool characters. Gothic fantasy/action/mystery
Monster - 18-volume psychological mystery epic. Quite dark in tone.
Pandora Hearts - I don't particularly love it but it seems quite popular and is also quite long. Fantasy/mystery.
Old 2011-05-30, 20:33   Link #10
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
seconded, especially if you like parody

pay no heed to my avatar
Old 2011-05-30, 20:44   Link #11
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
First thing that jumped to my mind as well. (320+ chaps)

Mahou Sensei Negima is another. (Also 320+ chaps)

I would also second The World God Only Knows. ("Only" 140+ chaps atm)

Another vote for Fairy Tail as well. (230+ chaps)

The first three on the list have been good material for re-reading, but Fairy Tail did not "make the cut" for me for some reason.

Ranma 1/2 drove me up the wall, personally. Just could not finish that one for some reason.... But I tend to not enjoy other works by that mangaka as well....
Old 2011-05-30, 23:48   Link #12
ReAcrylicMetal

Ahaha, all great suggestions, keep 'em coming. [Even though it seems I've already read many of them, i.e. The World God Only Knows, Fairy Tale, Ranma 1/2, Hayate no Gotoku, Hellsing, The Breaker, Gintama, Monster, Kuroshisuji, Liar Game, Nobless, One Outs, Cross Game, Yureka, Nurarihyion No Mango, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, ID, Karakuri Circus, Angel Densetsu, Please Save My Earth,Mx0]...

I'll be sure to check out the others, thanks again.

Last edited by ReAcrylicMetal; 2011-05-31 at 13:47.
Old 2011-06-01, 00:09   Link #13
AlaAlba

how about major and Kekkaishi, both have lots of volumes, Major ended at 72 (or 71). a baseball manga. And Kekkaishi ended at 35 or so. action fantasy manga.
Old 2011-06-01, 11:55   Link #14
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I 2nd Gintama and Pandora Hearts also Katekyo Hitman Reborn its at 30+ vols I think, shounen fun for the first 7 vols then it gets good Rurouni Kenshin is 28 and finished also one of the best manga ever. If you dont mind ecchi, Sekirei is over a hundered chaps, good storyline, sadly tho on hiatus lots of times. Trigun is 15 vols (I think) and complete.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Closed Thread

Tags
long, manga