AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episode 05 Rating
Perfect 10 26 17.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 59 40.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 19.18%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 6.16%
6 out of 10 : Average 12 8.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 2.05%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.37%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 4.79%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-11-04, 20:53   Link #101
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Maybe his past is the worse of them all to make him what he is today.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 02:10   Link #102
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
I hope it's not his past!
We need someone who just has twisted morals once in a while.
Trauma doesn't make all evil.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 03:35   Link #103
U<3Anime
Boo!

"It is it a bird?"

"no"

"It is it a plane?"

"no"

"It's, It's....IT'S A GUNDAM!"

*patiently waiting for subs
Old 2007-11-05, 03:55   Link #104
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆

The lock on screen might be able to zoom when he's ready to shoot who knows, it's the haro on thing that cracks me up. So what's the situation when haro's off? When haro runs out of duracell?  ( ^▽^)
After going back for a revisit, the hentai side of me noticed one thing. They are appearently breaking away from perfect proportion for our main girl! Look at the segment before intro, Marina's got a big ass. I mean they sure know how to draw the captain and the chinese girl with firery proportions but why not do it to Marina        Σr(‘Д‘n)
Old 2007-11-05, 06:04   Link #105
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post
some comments:

-why pink? Does Sunrise insist on shooting themselves in the foot?

-halleluja's sudden personality change.....that was pretty stupid imo. It seems like they are compensating for his lack of character by just giving him a psychological disorder for viewers to awe at.

-space sniping, cutting clouds, very over the top. Did you all see how well lockon was able to snipe the tiny dots on his monitor? Well done, Sunrise.

-louise's relationship comedy = out of place for gundam.

-seems like gundam is not failing to disappoint with each successive episode.
i will quote this for emphasys.
especiall the "gundam is not failing to disappoint with each successive episode."

this episode was a succession of cliche showing the total lack of creativity.
- a failed attempt to give a bit of deept to a yaoi looking character.
- a pale copy paste of every genetically created character coupled with a weak try to make us feel simpathy for her and her superior, anemone from eureka7 is way better than this poor character. i cant wait for the poor excuse they ll think of to keep a genetically unstable soldier still go to war even with the risk of her freaking out at anytime.
- a totally out of place digression on 2 characters that are up to now totally useless (saji & girlfriend) only thing to turn one of these to usefull to the story would be to have 1 of the 2 dying allowing character devellopement to the survivor.

edit : the only character that behaves like a normal soldier was tiera who is the most manly character of the show so far despite of his appearance.
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 06:33   Link #106
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
especiall the "gundam is not failing to disappoint with each successive episode."

- a pale copy paste of every genetically created character coupled with a weak try to make us feel simpathy for her and her superior, anemone from eureka7 is way better than this poor character. i cant wait for the poor excuse they ll think of to keep a genetically unstable soldier still go to war even with the risk of her freaking out at anytime.
- a totally out of place digression on 2 characters that are up to now totally useless (saji & girlfriend) only thing to turn one of these to usefull to the story would be to have 1 of the 2 dying allowing character devellopement to the survivor.

edit : the only character that behaves like a normal soldier was tiera who is the most manly character of the show so far despite of his appearance.
1. You are misusing the term Yaoi. The sentence makes no sense.

2. Soma isn't unstable, she was mentally attacked. Think mind-meld. If she was known to be unstable there would have been an army of scientists around her 24/7.

3. Saji and Luise's role in the story is pretty obvious. They are the link to the audience. Specifically, Saji is the link for the Japanese schoolboy. This is the price to pay for not having a schoolboy who get into a Gundam at episode 1.

Tieria is not a soldier, but a psychopath. If that's what you think a soldier should be, we have other things to worry about. For that matter, none of the Gundam meisters act like soldiers because they are barely soldiers anyway.
Old 2007-11-05, 07:58   Link #107
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazamachi Shogen View Post
The lock on screen might be able to zoom when he's ready to shoot who knows, it's the haro on thing that cracks me up. So what's the situation when haro's off? When haro runs out of duracell?  ( ^▽^)
After going back for a revisit, the hentai side of me noticed one thing. They are appearently breaking away from perfect proportion for our main girl! Look at the segment before intro, Marina's got a big ass. I mean they sure know how to draw the captain and the chinese girl with firery proportions but why not do it to Marina        Σr(‘Д‘n)
who needs duracell when you have energizer
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 08:07   Link #108
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
1 who care the character couldnt be anymore dull and gay.
2 she s unstable end of story if she start freaking out when close to CB she fails. she lost control she fired at civilian that should be more than enought to put her in the closet. she was created in order to be the ne plus ultra she should be disposed off and replace, maybe the army has finnacial issue and cant afford a new one so they ll be force to deal with her.
3 god forbid some actual trained pilot are the only one to get in a mecha. it s pretty lame if there is a need for japanese audience to have a stupid schoolkid if they cant have a schoolboy get a mecha. the faster they are removed the better so they dont waste time on useless character.

tiera s concerned about the mission and the miss-use of CB military supplies as well as endangering the whole operation for 1 stupid person feeling like he ll be the hero today.

grumpy monday ftw!!!
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 08:26   Link #109
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
1 who care the character couldnt be anymore dull and gay.
2 she s unstable end of story if she start freaking out when close to CB she fails. she lost control she fired at civilian that should be more than enought to put her in the closet. she was created in order to be the ne plus ultra she should be disposed off and replace, maybe the army has finnacial issue and cant afford a new one so they ll be force to deal with her.
3 god forbid some actual trained pilot are the only one to get in a mecha. it s pretty lame if there is a need for japanese audience to have a stupid schoolkid if they cant have a schoolboy get a mecha. the faster they are removed the better so they dont waste time on useless character.

tiera s concerned about the mission and the miss-use of CB military supplies as well as endangering the whole operation for 1 stupid person feeling like he ll be the hero today.

grumpy monday ftw!!!
So you have a problem with Soma being in a mobilesuit, but you also want an untrained schoolboy to be a Gundam pilot?

By the way, The operation was about saving more than 200 civilians. But I guess you don't care about them any more than Tieria does.
Old 2007-11-05, 08:57   Link #110
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
So you have a problem with Soma being in a mobilesuit, but you also want an untrained schoolboy to be a Gundam pilot?

By the way, The operation was about saving more than 200 civilians. But I guess you don't care about them any more than Tieria does.
No, he doesn't want kids in mobile suits period.
Old 2007-11-05, 09:16   Link #111
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
No, he doesn't want kids in mobile suits period.
No, he doesn't want kids in the show period, even though in this case they function as essential links to the target audience.
The equivalent would be like demanding Peter Parker to be less nerdy.

The new director is trying to reach a compromise here, and I think he should be given kudos for doing so. It is not acceptable for 00 to lose connection with the core teenage audience, as they are the real market. The current 00 background is far more complex than had been previously attempted, yet Sunrise is trying to explain everything so that the teenagers could understand. Further, this is being done without a school boy being the main character, as they wanted to give the role to someone with actual combat experience.

So Saji is that link. He is the "every-school-boy", who in our modern world watch the news about conflicts and wars from distant lands, yet only possess rudimentary understanding of international politics in the best of times. Like the young audience, Saji is equally confused about why CB attacked Venezuela. And within the show, his more worldly sister would be there to assure him that everything does make sense, even if he doesn't understand it right now.
Old 2007-11-05, 09:56   Link #112
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber

i personally think you shouldn't analyse a plot-laden show like this after only 4-5 eps,
it's just silly
Old 2007-11-05, 10:00   Link #113
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScR3WiEuS View Post
i personally think you shouldn't analyse a plot-laden show like this after only 4-5 eps,
it's just silly
Well, if I don't analyse it, how could I prove to others that there is a plot?
Old 2007-11-05, 10:17   Link #114
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Well, if I don't analyse it, how could I prove to others that there is a plot?
Oh, but you don't have to do it now. There's no harm waiting until you've got sufficient material to work with.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 10:22   Link #115
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Oh, but you don't have to do it now. There's no harm waiting until you've got sufficient material to work with.
I already have plenty of material to prove the presence of plot. And anyway, it didn't seem to prevent people from claiming 00 to have no plot just because we don't have nations nuking each other.
Old 2007-11-05, 11:12   Link #116
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I'm seriously not getting the loli feel from Soma. She's to tall and built to be anything but in her mid teens. Of course I could be wrong, but I don't think so at the moment.
well, Sergei has exclaimed that she's so young... and so far she's the most loli-ish character we have in this series, especially when compared to that supposedly 14 year old girl in Celestial Being
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 12:24   Link #117
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

One tip, a post meant to be critical will be more likely to be taken seriously and with greater consideration if it is done using proper sentence format. I found from personal experience that I am less likely to read or understand something that does not use capitals in proper places, or begin or end it's sentences where one would expect. In fact, I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say, but your criticism seems to be based on something that may be more valid if this were a 13 episode series. I'll try to address it anyway:

You are upset that the characters are not to your liking as of now. The problem is, Soma was only just introduced partway through last episode, and you expect her to be fully fleshed out and to come across as a real human being after less than 2 episodes. Most characters in 13 episode series take the majority of episodes just to reach a suitable level, and those shows often have a smaller cast and a more micro level plot. Also by my experience, I generally don't know much about a person even after spending a week with them, so I can't see how one could expect Soma to be fully fleshed out after less than 40 minutes. That was actually the 2nd point. Also consider that the example you provide, Anemone has the benefit of her series actually being finished.

As for the first point I have no idea who you are talking about as "Yaoi Character" so I'm moving on. Keep in mind it helps to use names instead of descriptors if you want to make sure someone will absord your point. I'm guessing Allelujah, but the problem really isn't in Sunrises efforts, but in ones own ability to suspend disbelief and acknowledge that he has some sort of mental disorder, which given his behaviour up until now, isn't at all hard to discount. Considering I thought as much by the end of the first episode, I get the sense this was planned all along, only now we the viewer are able to see his other side, rather than just him. I can't see what's expressly wrong with this.

And your third point, just look at what Vallen said and I've said many times. Saji and Louise are meant to provide the common civilian's perspective of the events that unfold, which is pretty much the whole shows perspective. The idea though is that a student perspective (AKA the people most likely to be watching the series) will act as a relay for the viewers into the events of the show, and allow them to feel at least superficially closer to the events going on. I'm sure there's something that describes it on TVTropes, but I haven't the time, nor the energy to look.

Nobody is a soldier in CB, they are a private army. The Titans got away with it by being integrated into the EFF, but the CB have no official affiliation. Anything they come up with would just be a corporately assigned job title. Tieria doesn't have to play by any rules of engagement, or follow any protocol like Sergei would for example, and thus does not have any obligation to rescue anybody. This is not him acting as a soldier (who if he were, would actually be obligated to put his life on the line for the children, as civilians safety comes before all military personal, unless the objective specifically states something else is a higher priority, which is mostly Black Ops), because he isn't one. There is currently an operation in Iraq called Blackwater, which is a privately run security force owned by some rich kid named Prince or something. They have been performing functions that the military has been unable to, and have become somewhat popular, but loathed at the same time for not being ethical, but being able to accomplish some tasks the U.S Military has not. You should read up a bit on the differences between Public and Private groups.

As for digression from the overall plot.....are they not allowed to have character sidestories now. First people complain about them focusing on the political motivations of the world powers to much and wishing for more character development, and now that we actually get it, it's "a digression on 2 character who up till now are useless". Would you have rather they continue to remain as such, or that they be given this opportunity to get some development along with Allelujah?

Something tells me you are merely complaining for the sake of it, and it's not only the exaggerations of certain points you make, it's that it's seemly impossible for you to enjoy any given episode and are forcing yourself to dislike the elements involved. If the series is this horrible, "Superficial" "Yaoi" and er...... has characters who are too "Dull and Gay" for you, why continue to watch it?

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-11-05 at 15:29.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 13:18   Link #118
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I saw the Raw yesterday and I couldn't understand jack except Hallelujah somehow changed to a darker side, so I guess he must be SOOPA-soldier material too...Man I hate watching Raws, but if I wait a week like I would normally do in a non speed-sub situation I'd miss out on all the discussion...Anyways even without a translation It seemed as if this episode had some character focus to it (One of the complaints have been a lack of this)...So it looks like a little more exposition is in store for some of the characters...Even the young couple seemed to get some development....

This seemed to be a really quaint episode in feel and presented a very tangible look at how the space elevators work...I know everybody was up in arms over the pink Psuedo-ZAKU, but I was more interested in the Scarface's Custom Blue Tieren...It looked quite capable of of some very tough combat...Gotta love those booster knee-caps^^...

I guess this episode also kinda put in perspective the power of the Gundam's because Kyrios with help was having quite a tuff time pushing a train caboose...I can only imagine if they were up against the ROCK Amuro had to push in CCA ...

Don't know if the ep is out yet, but once I get off from work hopefully I'll be able to have some better thoughts concerning this episode, but without words seemed to be pretty good...
Old 2007-11-05, 14:49   Link #119
Empire
Independent MS pilot

Lol, no fansub available yet?!?!
Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 16:07   Link #120
Virtue
Banned

They're afraid of getting the attention of the "perfect translation" police.
Virtue is offline   Reply With Quote