Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-17, 20:27   Link #601
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
The episode was too otaku friendly and not family friendly enough. The preview of the next episode looks even worse...

I'm not sure if I can agree with that. I was actually spending the latter half of the episode noticing just how KyoAni seems to be doing its best to reproduce what made k-on such a runaway hit with audiences outside of the usual otaku circles. There's a certain feel to the show that strikes me more as Doraemon than something otaku oriented.

While I don't believe that the studio will be able to just reproduce the level of hype generated by K-On I'm more and more convinced that they are at least targeting the same markets.
Old 2013-01-18, 01:13   Link #602
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I'm not sure if I can agree with that. I was actually spending the latter half of the episode noticing just how KyoAni seems to be doing its best to reproduce what made k-on such a runaway hit with audiences outside of the usual otaku circles. There's a certain feel to the show that strikes me more as Doraemon than something otaku oriented.

While I don't believe that the studio will be able to just reproduce the level of hype generated by K-On I'm more and more convinced that they are at least targeting the same markets.
The feeling you're getting could be due to Yamada and Yoshida rather than a design philosophy of the studio's. I'm not disagreeing, but I think that's a possibility too.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 01:54   Link #603
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Episode 2

The bird ain't a bird.... Its an alien!!!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 02:20   Link #604
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I am in the "get rid of the damn bird" camp.
I feel like KyoAni introduced the bird just to say: "See? It's not your standard Slice-of-Life show! We have a talking bird here!".

I wouldn't mind Dera if he was just a narrator, telling things from the perspective of an outsider to the shopping district. But it's annoying when he breaks the flow of the story, like when he perched on the "phone line".

Apart from Dera, the second episode was ok. I really liked the subtle way they showed Midori's feelings for Tamako. Some scenes made me smile. OTOH I don't care much for the other residents of the shopping disctrict.
This is pretty close to my take on Episode 2.

I thoroughly loved the refreshingly realistic and sincere approach taken to Midori's feelings for Tamako. It makes me truly care for Midori, and that definitely helps. It's a bit unfortunate that Midori's true feelings for Tamako will likely remain unknown to Tamako herself, since I think that could be a strong narrative. But I'll gladly take what I can get here.

I don't hate the bird, but it occurred to me that his presence in the 2nd episode was largely superfluous. In other words, the plot of this episode could have worked fine without him (which wasn't the case in the 1st episode, where he was integral to the plot). I hope the bird doesn't turn into a Captain Obvious Exposition Device (which is honestly how his impact on Midori's situation came across to me).

I mentioned before how Tamako makes me think of Eru Chitanda, while her two friends (Midori and Kanna) make me think of K-On's Ritsu and Yui. For Tamako and Midori this is fine, since both girls have personalities similar to the famous KyoAni characters that their character designs appear to be based off of. But Kanna's personality is quite different from Yui's, so the overall effect of her looking like Yui is a bit jarring for me. I keep expecting this girl to act like Yui, since she looks like Yui, and instead she does things like deadpan humor that just throws me for a complete loop. Hopefully I'll get used to that in time.

I liked what this episode did when it comes to the relationship between Midori and her father, but I'm not really feeling the other shopping district adult characters yet.

This anime is a hodgepodge of a lot of very different elements, and for me, the jury is still out on if KyoAni can combine them well or not. Right now, some I like, and some I'm not that fond of.
Old 2013-01-18, 09:19   Link #605
blewin

I quite enjoy this week's episode. Quite like the fast pace that nonetheless did a superb job bringing out the pleasant and lively atmosphere of the cast and the shopping district. Bravo for Tamako dad, making that heart shaped mochi - and ends up being the same as Mochizhou dad's ones. haha.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 12:14   Link #606
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Midori's canonically gay right? I'm already feeling sorry for her because I do think Tamako's gonna fall for Mochizou and have Midori-chan friendzoned DX
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 14:45   Link #607
kitten320

I duno why so many people are hating on the bird, it actually is the main reason why I checked episode 2 though now I have more things to look forward.

Also complaining that show is not deep... if you have seen K-ON then what else did you expect to get from same company and art style?

Though to be honest this series already feel deeper than K-ON did in first 2 episodes...

Do like how they handled Midori's feelings for Tamako. Last episode it was Mochizou... I wonder if series will take any of those any deeper or will just leave them as they are.
Old 2013-01-18, 18:50   Link #608
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Slice of Life anime was meant to be PG and kid friendly. This anime does that well with a little unrealistic twist of that fat bird. lol :heh;

*secretly whispers misses k-on*
Old 2013-01-18, 19:30   Link #609
Beltane70

To me, Kanna looks different enough from Yui to keep me from expecting her to act like Yui. Her personality is also so completely different from Yui that she stands out as her own character.

I'm part of the keep Dera (yes, I like him enough that I'll actually refer to him by name, not just "bird") camp, as I think he's part of the show's overall atmosphere. I have the feeling that now that the rest of the cast apparently knows of Dera's mission, that he'll be a more central character.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 20:04   Link #610
Dop
Mmmm....

One thing that struck me after watching episode 2 is that in some ways it has this kind of old-fashioned air of "community spirit" to it. The market seems to be this close-knit community, where it seems to me that a place like that would be a thing of the past, replaced by a soulless shopping mall or department store.

There were times that I thought it would be better had it been set in the past, say, late sixties, maybe early seventies, to go with the old-fashioned feel of some of the other bits, like the coffee shop, or the string phone bit.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 21:44   Link #611
Aquifina

I hated the bird in ep. 1, but was fine with him here. Not a huge fan, but I saw the comic value to him. And the weird projector thing was genuinely amusing; a whimsical use of the fantasy elements I actually liked.

Midori's crush was suitably wistful for a show like this, the string-phone shows how far back Tamako and Mochizou go as childhood friends, and Mochizou showed some initiative and talent with the commercial. I like how the writers showed their normal interactions this ep. by moving away from focusing on his obvious crush, and focusing on Midori in the same ep. And the interaction between Tamako and her father was *superb*. I always prefer anime with engaged and relevant parents.

I like all the characters so far, and Tamako can carry the show with her infectious good nature.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 00:41   Link #612
Beltane70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
One thing that struck me after watching episode 2 is that in some ways it has this kind of old-fashioned air of "community spirit" to it. The market seems to be this close-knit community, where it seems to me that a place like that would be a thing of the past, replaced by a soulless shopping mall or department store.

There were times that I thought it would be better had it been set in the past, say, late sixties, maybe early seventies, to go with the old-fashioned feel of some of the other bits, like the coffee shop, or the string phone bit.
Markets like that are still quite common in Japan. I've encountered several on my various trips to Japan over the past 20 years. The Nakano ward of Tokyo has one just outside of the Nakano JR station. The market leads up to the Broadway Building, which is pretty much like a mini Akihabara. Watching Tamako Market actually reminds me a lot of this market.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 04:03   Link #613
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I just watched episode 1, and this episode 2 character (bird and florist in) that I thought women are men jusuq'a their voices heard ... have my troll!

prince and you believe that at the end of the anime Tamako ask the bird to be the prince's betrothed ...?
-_-
Old 2013-01-19, 04:57   Link #614
Kitsu Breaker

Midori x Tamako is OTP

Mochizoufans go back to your home and cry he is a inferior love interest.

Come at me, bros!

This two girls have the best sax life
FIGHT FOR THE YURI
Kitsu Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 05:35   Link #615
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Episode 2

The bird ain't a bird.... Its an alien!!!!!!
So mysterious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina
Midori's crush was suitably wistful for a show like this
Watching her deal with it -- oh man -- she looks even cuter. There are assumptions of her being hot for Tamako - but y'know what... ain't gonna believe in any of that until... yea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu Breaker
Hey! That poor boy deserves Tamako.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 06:14   Link #616
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu Breaker View Post
Midori x Tamako is OTP

Come at me, bros!
As expected of Yuri fans; some things never change.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-01-19 at 09:38. Reason: typo
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 09:16   Link #617
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu Breaker View Post
Midori x Tamako is OTP

Come at me, bros!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
As expected of Yuri fans; somethings never change.
^This. Besides it's KyoAni. Midori's gonna get friend zoned.
Old 2013-01-19, 10:10   Link #618
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
As expected of Yuri fans; some things never change.
While a lot of other anime fans will take the presumptive main pairing, and accept it without a second thought.

I honestly find the male lead in this show pretty generic. So Tamako/Midori is the much more interesting option, imo.
Old 2013-01-19, 10:17   Link #619
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
While a lot of other anime fans will take the presumptive main pairing, and accept it without a second thought.

I honestly find the male lead in this show pretty generic. So Tamako/Midori is the much more interesting option, imo.
I dunno, everyone seems pretty generic to me at this point tbh. I don't see what makes Midori any less generic than Mochizou other than the element of her blossoming lilies towards Tamako. If that's all there is then every comfirmed potential gay pairing reigns supreme.

In that case we may as well throw in a potential BL interest for Mochizou and everything becomes extra interesting. Lilies and BL sides win. Everybody loves somebodeh.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 10:34   Link #620
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Images
All of You is Wrong! Clearly this is the OTP!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen