Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-08-14, 00:51   Link #41
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Even by the standards of Scary Movie and its spinoffs this is feeling very much like a cheap shot.

I mean, why in the Nine Hells should I be paying and going to the theatre to see people make fun of Twilight in an obvious, stupid way, with hammy acting by passionless actors? I could, you know, go on the fucking internets and get far better jokes. Or I could bring up the topic with my friends. Or random strangers.

Ripoff.
My thoughts exactly, Alas it'll probably still rake in enough money to prompt even more of these types of films to be created.

So this is from "the guys who didn't want to sit through another vampire movie". Thats funny because those guys make movies that I don't want to sit through. Maybe they can suck each other (All puns intended).
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-14, 01:15   Link #42
james0246

Where are you people getting this idea that the spoof "Movie" series makes any money? At best, they barely break even (Date Movie cost 35-40 million total, and only made 38 million in America (combined gross of 80 million); Epic Movie also cost around 35-40 million and made 39 million in America (combined gross of 80 million)) or they are complete failures (Disaster Movie cost around 30 million and only made 14 million in America (combined gross of 35 million) and Meet the Spartans cost around 45 million and only made 38 million in America (combined gross of 80 million)). (And don't get me started on non-studio drek like Stan Helsing (direct to DVD), The 41-Year-Old Virgin Who Knocked Up Sarah Marshall and Felt Superbad About It (direct to DVD...and it parodied Twilight ), Dance Flick (cost: 40 million; gross: 30 million) and other abysmal parody/spoof titles that are released every year.) So, realistically, these types of spoof movies make pittance at best, and often times are only saved by foreign gross or DVD sales (which is never really factored in to a production budget).

Honestly, the sole reason these types of films are made is for the sheer hope that there will be enough of a backlash against the parodied genres/films that a timely spoof will draw in the crowds (in many respects, this has always been the M.O. of parody films, even going back to the day of Abbot & Costello's great horror parodies, or even further back during the silent era).

That being said, Vampire Sucks looks awful, and that is not because the source material is bad (though that certainly does not help). What made films like Scary Movie I, Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz, and a select few other modern parodies fun and funny, was the way in which the parody was so effortlessly incorporated into a coherent storyline that did not just make fun of the films being parodied, but also explained and explored why those films are so fun (and so fun to parody) to begin with (Realistically, the best parody film is the one that can exist without needing to understand the context of what the film is parodying (I realize that Scary Movie I doesn't meet this criteria, but I still think it is a funny film)). Epic Movie/Date Movie/etc (and probably Vampire Sucks) all start with bad films and never really attempt to understand or describe why those bad films are popular nor do the parodies adequetly make fun of the fact that their parodied films are, in fact, bad.

Last edited by james0246; 2010-08-14 at 02:11.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-14, 01:17   Link #43
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Where are you people getting this idea that the spoof "Movie" series makes any money? At best, they barely break even (Date Movie cost 35-40 million total, and only made 38 million in America (combined gross of 80 million); Epic Movie also cost around 35-40 million and made 39 million in America (combined gross of 80 million)) or they are complete failures (Disaster Movie cost around 30 million and only made 14 million in America (combined gross of 35 million) and Meet the Spartans cost around 45 million and only made 38 million in America (combined gross of 80 million)). (And don't get me started on non-studio drek like Stan Helsing (direct to DVD), The 41-Year-Old Virgin Who Knocked Up Sarah Marshall and Felt Superbad About It (direct to DVD), Dance Flick (cost: 40 million; gross: 30 million) and other abysmal parody/spoof titles that are released every year.) So, realistically, these types of spoof movies make pittance at best, and often times are only saved by foreign gross or DVD sales (which is never really factored in to a production budget).
Just by the production budgets to even make a spoof movie... I would never find a reason why they would even care to make a "Spoof" movie in any case besides to make fun of certain things.

But there are thousands and thousands of "Twilight" haters out their and they might reach mid-budget price just from the haters.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-14, 02:07   Link #44
Gin
*Artist

I just assumed that parody movies mad lots of money, because I can't see any other reason for them to be made.
Old 2010-08-14, 02:22   Link #45
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
It all started with the first scary movie, which was really good, no doubt. But then, people started imitating them, but no matter what, it's impossible to properly make a spoof movie the way they did with Scary Movie.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-14, 02:27   Link #46
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
I just assumed that parody movies mad lots of money, because I can't see any other reason for them to be made.
It's a form of counterprogramming, and it is always a gamble (for a major example, The Simpsons, one of the most highly acclaimed and beloved sitcoms of all time, was almost destroyed when Fox tried to use counterprogramming by making The Simpsons compete against the Cosby Show (Cosby won hands down for nearly every episode of the season long debacle)). In film, counterprogramming is why some studios like putting out horror films on Valentine’s Day/Christmas, or putting out a low-budget action film to compete against a high-budget chick-flick/romance. The current variety of spoof film is also a form of counterprogramming since the films are made solely to profit off of possible hate/resentment toward a specific film/films, and its release always follows the main parody piece (in his case, Eclipse...or whatever the second Twilight film was called).
Old 2010-08-14, 02:30   Link #47
Gin
*Artist

Its seems like it would work better if it came out at the same time as the next Twilight movie then, because thats when Twilight hate is at its highest.
Old 2010-08-14, 02:47   Link #48
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be like Epic Movie...

...But given that I only laughed ONCE during the trailer (the very end, where the Jacob fangirl hits the Edward fangirl with a shovel), I can't say that I anticipate it being any good. Therefore, I'm not going to see it.
Old 2010-08-14, 11:02   Link #49
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Less than 5% of movies make money, thanks to Hollywood Accounting. I'd be real careful about pulling any facts or figures out dealing with money. It's one of the major reasons why I don't see movies in theaters anymore (the other being that the theater makes very little on my ticket).

And maybe it won't be funny, or maybe it will. We don't know until the movie is out and we see it. Trying to say one way or the other at this point, is just jumping to a conclusion without seeing all the facts.

But I am making an exception to my rule to go see this movie in a theater. Why? Because it makes fun of Twilight, and I am willing to give my money to anyone willing to make fun of Twilight. At least, I'd like to see this movie gross way more than the Twilight movies themselves. It would be a sweet revenge....
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-14, 11:58   Link #50
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Even by the standards of Scary Movie and its spinoffs this is feeling very much like a cheap shot.

I mean, why in the Nine Hells should I be paying and going to the theatre to see people make fun of Twilight in an obvious, stupid way, with hammy acting by passionless actors? I could, you know, go on the fucking internets and get far better jokes. Or I could bring up the topic with my friends. Or random strangers.

Ripoff.

Do you know what I would love to see? Edgar Wright's take on the vampire myth with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.

They made comedy gold out of the tropes used in zombies movies and buddy cops movies.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-14, 12:12   Link #51
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Yes! Finally vamp movies I wanna get parodied/spoofed in a comedy!
Old 2010-08-19, 01:07   Link #52
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
It leaked, there is a God!
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 13:14   Link #53
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

[/facepalm]

There are remakes and there are spoofs

It's not hard to make a good remake, it's bloody hard to make a good spoof
Old 2010-08-20, 04:15   Link #54
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
@james, spaceballs was such an amazing parody. The intro pretty much won me over.

Of the "Movie" movies, none of them really caught my attention. This is not to say parodies aren't great. because when done right? They're worth every penny.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 06:02   Link #55
Kudryavka

This yells Epic Movie, which was epic failure.

Won't watch this unless someone says it's good, I'd hate for my brainchild to be insulted like this.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 07:11   Link #56
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
This yells Epic Movie, which was epic failure.

Won't watch this unless someone says it's good, I'd hate for my brainchild to be insulted like this.
its good, far as a Parody movie can be.
Old 2010-08-20, 10:48   Link #57
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Send a message via MSN to WBoon
I hate Twilight so much, I actually thought it was good at first when I read the title. Thank God for Rotten Tomatoes.

Possibly worse than Disaster Movie? Or ironically, Twilight itself? Hah.
WBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 12:20   Link #58
solomon

This material is good for a 15/20 minute National Lampoon webfilm at best.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 12:30   Link #59
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I'll be totally watching this, anticipating advanced rot levels after the beginning though...
Quote:
Or ironically, Twilight itself? Hah
That feat is impossible even if you're intentionally trying to make a worse movie.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 12:40   Link #60
james0246

^While the story in the Twilight films is incredibly stupid, the films themselves are at least shot well, have decent to very good soundtracks, and can be somewhat entertaining to watch. Vampire Sucks, though, lives up to its title amazing well. It Sucks. Nothing in the film is worth any price of admission, even my free price of admission. The story was stupid; the jokes insipid and worse than anything Pauly Shore has ever done; the acting was horrific; the directing was non-existent or amateurish at best (with such obvious set-ups as to bore the audience to sleep); etc. 14/100.