AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-04-13, 22:57   Link #201
nicky.
animesuki
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: United States of A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Since when the award-worthiness of a film dictated by its box office performance? But ah, forget it. We're talking about Oscar here and we know how that particular awards treated foreign animated films. The fact that Big Hero 6 won the "best animated film" in its respective year amongst the other (better) competitors already speaks volumes of Oscar's preferences.
You just answered your own question. XD
nicky. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-13, 23:01   Link #202
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 28
it did have near top performance on a per theater basis though.
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-13, 23:02   Link #203
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky. View Post
You just answered your own question. XD
Yes, I did . Just want to stress it and put it out there coz I know how Oscar work in this case and the fact that KNNW didn't make it to the Oscar nominees speaks nothing of its excellent quality.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-13, 23:05   Link #204
Last Sinner
Don't Call Me Bro
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 36
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Most of the world saw it in November/December last year. Which I did. The fact the US were made to wait this long for it is just stupid...Why would you expect people to wait that long when I heard a high quality rip appeared in February?

For comparative sake, A Silent Voice only just appeared here in Australia yet we got Your Name from late November to mid-December. Madman intentionally went all out to allow people to see it. It filled cinemas for quite a while. Then they did a Top 20 poll of all time (of their catalog only) a couple of months after its cinema run and Your Name finished #4. Which never happens that close to a title's release for their polls. Ever. It outpolled almost all the shounens, most of the iconic movies/franchises. But it was released when the time was right for people to see it.

Clearly they missed the boat in the US. But who got to decide this? Funi? A cinema corporate group? I'm guessing the Japanese side of this didn't have much of a say in this.

As for the Oscars...meh...they live in their own detached version of reality and are Disney's bitches.
__________________

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 06:22   Link #205
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv162
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 31
That's simple: the movie is such a success it is still in the theatres as we speak.
You are wrong to think that a BD/DVD release is announced based on the initial showings. It is backwards: it is often scheduled for a timeframe; after the movie is no longer available in the theatres or almost done with that. Other successful movies like Nanoha franchise did the exact same thing: the BD was released nearly 1 year after (1st movie initial theatre release: 23rd January 2010. BD release: 26th November 2010).

Moreover, they probably don't want to release the BD/DVD when the movie has barely made its way out to overseas. Not because of import/piracy, but as a marketing ploy to brand the movie as "new" and have a certain impact in Japan too for being a movie that is successful both in Japan and overseas.

So no, they know what they are doing: they are grossing more revenues this way and a lot of people watched it several times already. I wouldn't be surprised if the BD will be released only around end 2017 or even early 2018.
__________________

Last edited by Klashikari; 2017-04-14 at 06:54.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 08:42   Link #206
Kakurin
私は影の国の女王、異境、魔境の主
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That's simple: the movie is such a success it is still in the theatres as we speak.
That's right, although it seems that the showing in movie theatres is coming to an end at last. Most cinemas have their last showing next Thursday/Friday.
__________________
Kakurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 20:19   Link #207
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: JEEEESUS CHRIIIISTOOOOO
Age: 27
So I finally watched "Your Name." . It's an amazing movie. In just one hour I wanted the two protagonists to finally have their happy ending but then I was tensed for about if that was possible. XD

The only thing that I kind of bothered me was the use of so many insert songs.
Mad Pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-15, 15:34   Link #208
IceHism
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
My favorite Shinkai film so far. I also really did not enjoy 5cm per seconds that much. Partly because of hype I suppose but also because of the characters. The body swapping scenes were the best but I enjoyed how the ending had them recognizing each other the most. I think the characters were fine and were decently characterized. I had some issues with the romance mostly because what I felt was created isn't really a romance during the bodyswapping. There certainly was a special bond between them though and I like the themes of intertwining fate and time together. I also feel like you have to know quite a bit about Japanese folklore to get a lot of the references. That wasn't a problem for me so I thought it was pretty nice in how much it condensed into a 1 hour 46 mins film.

Music was great. Radwimps is great. Animation and art is great.

Overall, great film. Don't get swept up in the hype though. Even Shinkai didn't know that this film would be so popular. I had lower expectations but it went above them.

Unfortunately I caught an English dub showing but I'll just watch the subtitled version again.
IceHism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 09:17   Link #209
Verso Sciolto
.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
[...] Anyway, as is usually the case for me when it comes to Makoto Shinkai's films, it usually takes a second or third viewing before their more subtle themes sink in.

I noticed a lot more of the symbols used throughout "Your Name" on the third viewing, and gained a deeper appreciation of how they fit into the larger story Shinkai was trying to tell.

One scene in particular has taken a much more poignant significance: It's one where Mitsuha's grandmother recounted the history behind the braided cords that the family preserves. The reason for the tradition has been lost in time, destroyed by a great fire in the past. Only the form — the making of the cords, and their use in the kuchikamizake ritual — survives.

But the grandmother stressed the importance of investing one's feelings into the form, even if the original meaning is lost, because it's all that's left to connect the town to its roots, and that in itself has meaning of its own.

It's a melancholic yet hopeful insight, that somehow resonates deeply.

More importantly, this vague yet aching sense of clinging to memory underpins the entire point of the movie: Five years after the Taki and Mitsuha successfully averted a tragedy at Itomori, both of them no longer remembered the reasons behind what they did that fateful night. They remembered only the outlines of what they did, and that they each did something vitally important for someone extremely dear to him and her. Only the shape — the "form" — of the memory remained; the original meaning was lost.

But it's because neither of them would let go of that feeling of vaguely remembered love that they were reunited again.

Also, much more so than in any of his previous films, Shinkai's use of "lines" has much more symbolic meaning in "Your Name". At least two examples of them were recycled from previous movies, the characteristic "line across the moon" (symbolising heartbreak or broken fate) and Shinkai's signature use of light and shadow on either side of a smoke plume (or in this case, a comet's tail).

In both these cases, and other similar use of "lines" as symbols, the line divides and splits the protagonists apart. The key difference this time is the introduction of Mitsuha's braided cord, which is also a line, but one that entwines and connects, very much like the mythical "red string of fate".

So, as Mitsuha's grandmother said, the lines of time (and fate) twist and turn, tangle and cross, and this is illustrated throughout the movie by the various symbolic lines.

There's one more major motif at play, that of the blurring of lines. This was introduced very early in the movie by Mitsuha's high-school teacher, who explained the archaic meanings of 黄昏 (たそがれ, tasogare; "twilight") and, if I remember correctly, 彼は誰時 (かはたれどき, kawatare doki; "pre-dawn").

For those who watched the movie with English subtitles, like I did, I'm not too sure if the translations captured the meaning of the two terms adequately. It conveyed the plot device well enough, setting up the Chekov gun that later explained how Taki and Mitsuha were able to reach through time and space to physically meet each other for the first time at twilight.

However, there's actually a deeper poetic meaning behind the two phrases. Specifically, "twilight" refers to that brief moment when the sky turns from yellow-red to indigo immediately after the sun sets below the horizon (and vice versa for "pre-dawn"). It's that moment in time when there's just about enough light for you to make out the silhouette of another person, but too dark for you to see that person's face. As the teacher said, there is a superstitious belief that this is the "witching hour", when one might be unlucky enough to see a supernatural spirit.

But, more pragmatically, this would be a time when, since you're not sure who the other person is, you'd ask, "Who are you?"

Or, in other words, "What's your name?" That's actually the literal meaning of 彼は誰時 ("pre-dawn"): "The time of who are you?"

That's right: The name of the plot device that allowed the couple to meet is, in fact, an oblique reference to both the movie's title, and its underlying theme.
It has been a while since your comment was posted but it bears bumping forward with a reply, I think.

The juxtaposition of written and oral traditions, the difficulties of transmitting and interpreting each when transported to a different time and place, those come through quite well here. In that context I've been meaning to add a specific source for the written text and poetic phrases in this thread as well. Perhaps someone can expand on the
Spoiler for blackboard:

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-04-17 at 04:36.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 10:40   Link #210
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
It turns out that my local bookstore is carrying the Kimi no na wa novel in English form. This comes as a pleasant surprise, and I've preordered: it was one thing to see things in the movie with all of its visuals, but the written medium might also offer some new perspectives that can't be captured in the movie format.
__________________
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 12:33   Link #211
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: JEEEESUS CHRIIIISTOOOOO
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
It turns out that my local bookstore is carrying the Kimi no na wa novel in English form. This comes as a pleasant surprise, and I've preordered: it was one thing to see things in the movie with all of its visuals, but the written medium might also offer some new perspectives that can't be captured in the movie format.
Interesting. Could you send me a message about it?
Mad Pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 22:17   Link #212
Verso Sciolto
.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Interesting. Could you send me a message about it?
This ANN write up has info about various translations for publications related to the film: Shinkai's 'your name.' Novel to Be Published in U.S. & 21 Other Countries.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 22:27   Link #213
nicky.
animesuki
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: United States of A.
Hm, I don't see the justice in buying the novel considering the beautiful motion picture is half the reason this piece is praised as much as it is.
But hey, I may be proven wrong and the novel won't flop.
nicky. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 22:33   Link #214
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky. View Post
Hm, I don't see the justice in buying the novel considering the beautiful motion picture is half the reason this piece is praised as much as it is.
But hey, I may be proven wrong and the novel won't flop.
The movie has its visuals, and the novel might offer new perspectives. Partaking in both might serve to amplify the experience further
__________________
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-17, 10:18   Link #215
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: JEEEESUS CHRIIIISTOOOOO
Age: 27
"'your name.' Earns US$2.4 Million After 1-Week Run in North America"

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...merica/.114916
Mad Pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-17, 11:56   Link #216
Julio C
Bury My Shell
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara
Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
That's not bad considering the limited number of theaters and poor advertisement.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-17, 12:10   Link #217
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
This ANN write up has info about various translations for publications related to the film: Shinkai's 'your name.' Novel to Be Published in U.S. & 21 Other Countries.
That article's a bit dated, though: there's nothing on the release date at all in there. I can't speak for the folks in the United States or Europe, but for where I am, the book's coming out on May 23. The real question now, is 1) will one be able to buy it without preordering and 2) how quickly will the copies sell?
__________________
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 19:58   Link #218
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
As far as my city is concerned, today's the last day Your Name is being shown at theaters. Of course, I had to watch it again and did just that. Even after the third time when I knew what was gonna happen, I still felt the emotions. I still feel the giddiness and excitement when ZenZenZense gets played with the crazy timelapse scenes. I absolutely love that part of the movie. And the subtitles weren't cut off this time! But to be honest, the theater I went to today has smaller screens and okay audio compared to the theater I went to for the first 2 times. I would honestly have cut off subtitles with the best viewing and listening experience.

Now, I wait decades for the home media announcement.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 22:58   Link #219
Verso Sciolto
.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
... So, as Mitsuha's grandmother said, the lines of time (and fate) twist and turn, tangle and cross, and this is illustrated throughout the movie by the various symbolic lines....
... and symbolic knots ... such as in the back drop and other ornaments for Mitsuha's Kagura. (... staged together with sister Yotsuha on instructions from their grandmother Hitoha)

Which ties in with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
... And the subtitles weren't cut off this time! But to be honest, the theater I went to today has smaller screens and okay audio compared to the theater I went to for the first 2 times. I would honestly have cut off subtitles with the best viewing and listening experience...
... and my curiosity about the subtitles used in the theatrical releases in any language. Do either of you or someone else by any chance recall how the term "Musubi" was dealt with in translation? I searched this thread but "Musubi" didn't turn up a mention of the word here yet, as far as I could tell.

On a related note. Did you by any chance see if translations were given for the writing on the blackboard? ... and in that context, has the up-counting in the first names of the female line of the Miyamizu family been noted, here or in the translated dialogue of the film itself, perhaps? Something members of a non-Japanese speaking audience might not note but that too has been mentioned in other fora where the symbolism in the film has come up.

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-04-21 at 21:01. Reason: April 22 : Typo
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 23:23   Link #220
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Now, I wait decades for the home media announcement.
I bet Half-Life 3 comes out sooner All jokes aside, however, I think that the October 31 that Amazon has given might be plausible, and if the Japanese screenings are done, they might push out the release date soon.
__________________
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.