AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2018-11-29, 16:52   Link #21
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Screening in US and CA theaters this week. Gonna watch it tonight!
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-29, 22:00   Link #22
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

^ Hope you enjoy it.

Meanwhile, Anime News Network sat down with Mamoru Hosoda for an interview.
Quote:
Hosoda:

For Mirai, since it is based on my children…it's a very personal film, I thought it would be hard to have someone else write it. That's why I wrote it myself. Even when I have someone else write the script, I rewrite it in my own words in order to storyboard it. When I write, I write the script and try to make it as complete as possible before storyboarding it, as in…I try to be a scriptwriter when I'm writing a script. Then make the transition to being a director when I storyboard.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-08, 20:48   Link #23
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
^ Hope you enjoy it.

Meanwhile, Anime News Network sat down with Mamoru Hosoda for an interview.
I thought it was pretty decent. I like what was going on with Kun going back in time to meet his ancestors, but I really think that his sister from the future should've accompanied him for most of those trips.
Old 2019-01-07, 03:54   Link #24
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' beats 'Mirai' at the Golden Globes
Quote:
Los Angeles (Jan 6, 2019): Sony's "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" animated film has won a Golden Globe in the Best Motion Picture — Animated category, beating Mamoru Hosoda's "Mirai" anime film, as well as fellow nominees "Incredibles 2", "Isle of Dogs", and "Ralph Breaks the Internet".

"Mirai" was also nominated in the Best Animated Independent Feature and Outstanding Achievement for Writing in an Animated Feature Production categories for the 46th Annual Annie Awards.

This year's Golden Globe awards marked the first time an anime film was nominated for the Best Motion Picture — Animated category.

ANIME NEWS NETWORK
I watched and enjoyed both movies, and much as I would have liked "Mirai" to win, I do agree that "Into the Spider-verse" was the stronger animated motion picture, both in terms of entertainment and technical merit.

That said, I'm surprised that "Mirai" even got nominated at all, given the apparently lukewarm reception it received from viewers. I stand by my first impressions of the movie, and I still strongly believe that it's Mamoru Hosoda's most technically mature work to date.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-07, 09:01   Link #25
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I was surprised as well. I was watching it last night, saw Mirai as a nomination, and jumped.
Old 2019-01-22, 09:02   Link #26
saya_leviathan

And it's nominated for an Oscar.

Mirai Anime Film Nominated for Animated Feature Oscar
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-22, 09:47   Link #27
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Good for Hosoda-sensei. Mirai is far from his best work IMO, but he deserves more recognition than he gets and Oscar nominations are always good for anime. It’ll never win of course but that’s fine.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-04, 17:05   Link #28
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Good for Hosoda-sensei. Mirai is far from his best work IMO, but he deserves more recognition than he gets and Oscar nominations are always good for anime. It’ll never win of course but that’s fine.
Gotta agree here. No way it was gonna win with the hype and acclaim with Spiderverse, but still good to see it get nominated.
Old 2019-12-24, 17:55   Link #29
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Found out completely randomly that the movie is already out. Has been out for ten months in fact. I had totally forgotten about it, and it may as well have remained that way, given how unremarkable this film was. Definitely the weakest movie Hosada has ever made for me. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I were a parent, or if I didn't hate little kids (especially boys). Or maybe if I could remember anything at all about what it was like for me when my little sister came into my life.

Tags
time travel