AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-01, 20:53   Link #4321
Jinkies

I absolutely loved the pacing of the show up until the ant arc. It's godawful now, though. It takes forever for the plot to advance even the tiniest step. I'm still enjoying the show, just like I still enjoy the hellish molasses-slog that's One Piece, but my enjoyment of both would go up a huge amount if things happened ten times faster.

I was really excited to see the big fight I've been looking forward to for the past six months or so continue this episode. How foolish of me. That's probably still 20 episodes away.
Jinkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 20:57   Link #4322
MCAL

It adapts one chapter for only one episode........
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 22:00   Link #4323
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
It adapts one chapter for only one episode........
I guess they stopped adapting more than 1 chapter per episode in hopes that Togashi will continue the manga before they reach the end.

But I do hope with all my heart that they won't do it when we get to the serious fights,that would be annoying to watch.That's the reason I stopped watching One Piece.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 23:30   Link #4324
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
I guess they stopped adapting more than 1 chapter per episode in hopes that Togashi will continue the manga before they reach the end.

But I do hope with all my heart that they won't do it when we get to the serious fights,that would be annoying to watch.That's the reason I stopped watching One Piece.
Well, they are definitely adapting more then one chapter next episode. I think the one chapter was just an aberration.
Old 2014-04-02, 02:11   Link #4325
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
Are you joking?

I hope i'm wrong, but i have the feeling they don't intend to cover the next arc, so they slowed down to fit the schedule accordingly. Odds are the anime is ending in June or September at most, so they'll need to drag out the remaining chapters a bit to extend this arc till there, if that's the plan.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 03:26   Link #4326
Suryce

Or maybe the point of focusing on this one chapter was just to give an unified thematic to the episode?
I prefer an anime that goes too fast rather than too slow, but pacing is not just about how fast things are going, it's can also be about making thematically coherent episodes and Madhouse has clearly made efforts in that regard every time they could.

The last time people complained at the first sign of the pacing slowing down, it was because Madhouse had extended the confrontation between Kite and Hagya's troops, so that the next episode contained both Hagya and Rammot being dominated by someone much stronger than them (respectively Kite and Pitou).
In this episode, the focus is on Welfin's breakthrough. To me, giving a proper frame to this development was much more important to the quality of the episode than the quantity of what was accomplished. The characters' psychology is supposed to be the point of this entire sequence, sacrificing its framing for the sake of accomplishing more things would just hurt the quality of the storytelling.

And it's not like nothing was accomplished: Welfin letting go of his dishonesty and Ikalgo finding out where Palm is are pretty big accomplishments in their own rights and this is actually empathized too by placing those accomplishments at the end of the episode.
And Palm waking up is also a pretty good cliffhanger (though it's ruined by the preview )

So anyway, I say that this episode's pacing was pretty good.

Last edited by Suryce; 2014-04-02 at 05:40.
Suryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 07:49   Link #4327
aiuewatcher
The Eternal Newbie

A little bird told me that Hunter X Hunter's time slot may be replaced by Kiseijuu on October. Please, don't take it seriously. Just a rumor.
aiuewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 07:52   Link #4328
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiuewatcher View Post
A little bird told me that Hunter X Hunter's time slot may be replaced by Kiseijuu on October. Please, don't take it seriously. Just a rumor.
Well according to the pacing Hunter should end by the end of September, so that's not farfetched.
Old 2014-04-02, 08:17   Link #4329
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 123-
Spoiler for part1:

------
Spoiler for part 2:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 10:49   Link #4330
ookamigirl

The King can be one scary guy when he wants to.
Ikalgo was pretty pathetic.
His hesitation only brought him more trouble.
Welfin forced him into a corner and got the short end of the stick.
It's nice to see that little octopus can still surprise.
Yet again, the main event is stalled...
I just can't seem to wait to see Gon and the King fight!!
And what happened to Palm?!
Can't wait to see more of that too!

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 01:46   Link #4331
derps

Derp we just want action

Lol @the whole "too slow/not much happening"
Because if they stop to add details to characters, f**** the details, they just stopped. It's all about making anime a hisory book,
Just give me this happened and that happened.

Do people not really see it or just pretend not to to compare it with other shonen crap?
derps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 13:29   Link #4332
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkies View Post
I absolutely loved the pacing of the show up until the ant arc. It's godawful now, though. It takes forever for the plot to advance even the tiniest step.
I feel the same way. Something went seriously wrong with the series direction as this arc started. It's possible that now that they are running out of manga material they've simply decided to milk the series for all it's worth, instead of producing a worthwhile adaptation. Their audience will watch regardless, so why not.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 13:49   Link #4333
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
I feel the same way. Something went seriously wrong with the series direction as this arc started. It's possible that now that they are running out of manga material they've simply decided to milk the series for all it's worth, instead of producing a worthwhile adaptation. Their audience will watch regardless, so why not.
Well the manga's pace is slow too, so no, that's not it...
Old 2014-04-03, 15:45   Link #4334
Jinkies

I know nothing about the manga, but I'm sure the pacing is just as terrible there. The root of the problem is that he's covering so many different elements now instead of focusing on just a few things. HxH used to be the Gon and friends show and focused entirely on just a few characters and their story. Now the show gives nearly equal time to a cast of dozens of characters. There's just no way to get around that sort of huge time sink. It's going to cause any plot line to be dragged out to a crazy degree.

Some people won't mind this, just like some people don't mind year long arcs in One Piece or 50 episode basketball games in Slam Dunk. I don't like it when a show doesn't progress the main plot, though.
Jinkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 16:13   Link #4335
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

If this episode was supposed to be an indication of pacing issues then call me blind because didn't notice anything like that. I must have been too busy being enraptured by yet another compelling antagonist that Togashi has managed to create. The Welfin Wild Card ended a little anticlimatically where I hoped for something more epic but it was one hilarious treat watching the shrewd turn out to be such a damn coward. Well actually that's not exactly right: he's no less cowardly than us. I guess that's what's so funny. His reaction to being shot and having a gun pointed at him was surprisngly accurate to how someone would normally react. Makes me wonder how the hell he managed to survive in his occupation from his previous life, though. No doubt he must have been using his brains an awful lot.

If there is one thing that disapponts me out of this then it's probably the way in which it conveniently stalled the kill count yet again. I'm kinda amazed that no one on either side has died yet (besides some nameless mooks) since this attack began. But it's not that big of a deal for me since I doubt it will remain the same by the end of the arc. At the very least I'm expecting most of the Royal Guard to die.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 17:34   Link #4336
RoboMambo

I like the current pace actually. This kind of tension works well at a slower pace, specially since we never get the release or catharsis from fights ending, the tension just accumulates. Also, I don't think this episode would have come out as well if reduced to ten minutes.

On the episode itself, Ikalgo's solo sneaking mission is my favorite part of the whole thing. Yeah, all this superpowered people, and my favorite part is the octopus that cries because he can't kill. In the end Welfin too doesn't come out as a bad guy, because apparently noone does (except Pouf). Pitiful too, having his own ability work against him this much, being to be so out of his game, he isn't made for these things at all.
RoboMambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 21:15   Link #4337
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
Well the manga's pace is slow too, so no, that's not it...
You can't compare the two. What works for a medium may not work for a different type of medium.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 22:38   Link #4338
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
You can't compare the two. What works for a medium may not work for a different type of medium.
I don't deny that, though I don't agree with it. But your implying the anime team is the problem when they aren't.
Old 2014-04-04, 04:54   Link #4339
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
I know nothing about the manga, but I'm sure the pacing is just as terrible there. The root of the problem is that he's covering so many different elements now instead of focusing on just a few things. HxH used to be the Gon and friends show and focused entirely on just a few characters and their story. Now the show gives nearly equal time to a cast of dozens of characters. There's just no way to get around that sort of huge time sink. It's going to cause any plot line to be dragged out to a crazy degree.

Some people won't mind this, just like some people don't mind year long arcs in One Piece or 50 episode basketball games in Slam Dunk. I don't like it when a show doesn't progress the main plot, though.
Personally I love long arcs in One Piece too, because that's what makes it a truly epic story. I don't think any other manga comes close to the truly impressive sense of scope that One Piece gives off, not even HXH. About this arc - yeah, covering multiple stories IS making things more complicated. But it's interesting exactly for this reason, because it's unusual and something that usually writers don't dare to do because they don't think they can. See Tite Kubo, who resolved the whole Karakura Battle arc in a very disappointing way exactly because of this, giving the feeling that battles would just stay paused while the battle that we were watching played, and making the battles between secondary characters worthless because since they all were flying around in the same place you knew a big shot could always fly by and interfere solving the clash in one second. While here we get tactics, there's a strategic importance of the various positions: it's the closest thing to what real superpowered warfare would probably look like. I can understand not everyone likes it, but for people who loves detail, this is a real treat. My only complaint is that imho Togashi should have been a bit more liberal with the death count.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 03:30   Link #4340
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
One year long arcs are perfectly common in shonen....the abnormality is when an arc runs for God knows how many years, like Naruto has been doing.

As for HxH in particular, except for the last few episodes, it's not like Madhouse is deliberately covering less manga chapters per episode ever since this arc started...the real problem is that this particular section of this arc isn't transitioning well to animation IMO. Doesn't matter how many chapters they cover, the narrative makes it seem slow and boring.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen