AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-04-13, 09:25   Link #41
Appurukami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
It's mind-boggling how many people put School Days in their top 10.

Seriously, guys, do you really believe it's quality material or just put is there as a joke?
You do realise this is peoples opinions and others will be different from yours. I see you listed TTGL, which I thought was terrible.
Its all just a matter of opinion.
Appurukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 10:31   Link #42
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
It's mind-boggling how many people put School Days in their top 10.

Seriously, guys, do you really believe it's quality material or just put is there as a joke?
People like boats. So sue 'em.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 16:48   Link #43
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appurukami View Post
You do realise this is peoples opinions and others will be different from yours. I see you listed TTGL, which I thought was terrible.
Its all just a matter of opinion.
It's just hard for me to stay impartial when it comes to this show, since it's the only anime I really hate. It had a lasting effect on the anime community everywhere as a whole (people comparing other shows to it even if they are very different; people wishing for the male lead to die, even if he is a decent guy etc.)

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, since it was not my intention to ridicule people's tastes in general.
Old 2009-04-13, 21:40   Link #44
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Preliminary List:
1. Clannad and Clannad ~After Story~ : So far the best Romance/School Life/Drama series I have seen so far, filled with brief moments of comedy and tear jerking drama... and also the characters are alot more appealing than the last 2 series by Key.
2. Kanon 2006: Uguu~ I can't believe everyone forgot this one... but the 2nd try is always a charm because the Kanon remake is a great school life and drama series coupled with beautiful animation (yes, the animation seems to be more appealing to the eye than Haruhi even).
3. Suzumiya Haruhi: Haruhi is a very good comedy series and it's a entertaining show... and I still want more unfortunately.
4-10: To be decided

Honorable Mentions:
Lucky Star: Lucky Star is a very entertaining show because of the comedy content provided in the show, but the downside is there is no real plot (typical with most slice of life anime) and animation is a bit lacking compared to other works Kyoto Animation have done...
K-ON!: K-ON! so far is pretty decent in terms of the music genre, animation and also the amount of comedy and plot advancement. K-ON still have potential of becoming a good anime since it's too early to tell...
Old 2009-04-13, 23:09   Link #45
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
2. Kanon 2006: Uguu~ I can't believe everyone forgot this one... but the 2nd try is always a charm because the Kanon remake is a great school life and drama series coupled with beautiful animation (yes, the animation seems to be more appealing to the eye than Haruhi even).
I didn't forget it! I was surprised not to see it on a few more lists, though.
Old 2009-04-14, 00:02   Link #46
TechnoToy

Higurashi
Chocotto Sister
Welcome to the NHK
Nagasarete Airantou
Code Geass
Nyoron Chuyura-san

Thats about it.
TechnoToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 08:27   Link #47
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

@Guardian Enzo
Anyone who's a fan of both Ghost Hound and Oh! Edo Rocket scores well in my book!

While I share a lot of your enthusiasm for Ghost Hound, in the end I found it a bit too muddled, even though it does remarkably have a conclusive ending. Oh! Edo Rocket is just a strangely compelling show. I've enjoyed the historical portions of it more upon rewatching; it made me read a bit on Japan in the 1830-1850 period. Having one of my favorite anime scores of all time just adds to the enjoyment.

We also have Baccano! and Natsume Yuujinchou in common, but beyond those I think I've watched rather a different menu of series than you or rated them differently.

Rather than rely on my ever-fading memory, I used the AniDB database to compile a list of all the shows aired between 1/1/2006 and 3/31/2009. After browsing and excluding shows I'd seen that weren't contenders, these were the candidates:

2009:
Kemono no Souja Erin

2008:
Natsume Yuujinchou
*Kure-nai
Chi's Sweet Home

2007:
Ghost Hound
Shion no Ou
Moyashimon
*Baccano!
*Mononoke
*Dennou Coil
*Seirei no Moribito
*Oh! Edo Rocket
Claymore
Hidamari Sketch
*Nodame Cantabile

2006:
*Bartender
Hataraki Man
Black Lagoon: Second Barrage
*Welcome to the NHK!
*Saiunkoku Monogatari
REC

I've put stars next to ten of them. Close contenders included BL2, Claymore, Ghost Hound, and maybe Erin, though I've only seen 13 of the 50 or so episodes that it's scheduled to run. I wasn't as upset by Claymore's ending as many of its devoted fans, particularly the manga readers. It's one of the shows that I anticipated watching each week, so I obviously found it compelling. Portraying beautiful women and having them voiced by world-class seiyuu helped, too. Still it left too many threads on the table at the end. Black Lagoon: Second Barrage has one of the best story arcs I've seen in anime, the final five episodes that comprise the "Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise" story. The twins arc was effectively spooky, too, highlighted by the conversation in the park with Balalaika.

Obviously 2007 and 2006 were the best years for me as well as Guardian Enzo. I don't think my reaction to the series that year was just because I had only recently started watching fansubs, either. We've all seen the range of productions narrow considerably in the past year or two. I tend to chalk that up to recession; when times get tough, producers rely more on tried-and-true formulas that have predictable profits. Shows that can generate sales of paraphernalia are more appealing to the studios as well. Most shows I watch don't lend themselves to figurines and bed-pillows.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-04-14 at 10:15.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 10:15   Link #48
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

's funny, I compiled my list in exactly the same manner you did. And yes, was struck by just how great 2007 was. I can already say after two episodes that Seirei no Moribito was a terrible oversight on my part, and would have placed somewhere on my list.

OER is a funny show, there's just something spot-on about the alchemy of it. I'm going to have to give it a rewatch myself, if I ever find the time.
Old 2009-04-14, 13:42   Link #49
Statonxyb
hrm

In no particular order:

Nodame Cantabile
Black Lagoon
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Darker than Black
Spice and Wolf
Macross Frontier
Tytania
Welcome to the NHK
Gundam 00
Ergo Proxy
Statonxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 14:29   Link #50
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Well as this list is 2006 and later some of my favorite anime don't make the cut like Speed Grapher GunGrave Heat Guy J and so forth . Its April in 2009 so in this almost 3 and half year period its difficult to chose 10 without getting too commercial .

So here is my list of 10 Best Animes in these 3 years (not in order)

* Mononoke : The art and background are very experimental and breath taking . Heck even if you dont like the show you can enjoy it for backgrounds . The only show which can give this anime a run for its money in art and background Department would be Gankutsuou.

* Darker than Black : really nice characterization and an intriguing story aided by plot twists and consequence.

* Detroit Metal City : One word to describe it shocking . Its takes grotesque and bizarre to new levels infused with comedy . Its one of the few animes based on Metal and it very different from the usual bunch.

* Hakaba Kitaro : its refreshing to see one of the icons we adore and love in his original form . A dark comedy where the joke is always humanity.

* Mushsishi : Spelndid art and the anime runs at its own pace . The beauty of story telling is such your drawn into that pace.

* Moyashimon : Quirky Eccentric and Educational is the best way to describe it . Its intriguing and enticing at the same time.

* Baccano : A nice period mystery the props are in Direction and Editing.

* Gintama : A genre in itself its mixes comedy with nice doses of action . The characters are extremely well made and overall contribute to the theme of the show.

* Ouran Host Club : The only shojo which could break gender barriers and attract a healthy ratio of males despite being a reverse harem . I dont know what makes this anime magical the plot comedy or Haruhi . L.Complex came oh so close to repeating the same fete as Ouran.

* Genshiken 2 : Many felt it was inferior to the original series I enjoyed both . A nice insight into the otaku world without dwelling too deep on eccentricities , a enjoyable slice of life comedy

Honorable Mention :

* Gundam 00/Code Geass : Took Mecha mainstream to a larger audience Code Started it and Gundam 00 took it one step further . If it wasn't for singing and confusing sci-fi Macross F too would have made it : )

* L.Complex : Nice romantic comedy with emphasis on chemistry . Unfortunately On and Off relationship became tad repetitive.

* Seirei no Moribito : Had all the makings of a great anime if not for the slow vague episodes in between,felt dragged IMHO.

* Rec : A very nice well made slice of life anime but unfortunately it was too short.

* Wangan Midnight : Nice slice of life, racing anime with emphasis being on characters,character development than racing itself.
Old 2009-04-23, 22:50   Link #51
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I happened to stumble across Random Curiosity's spring '07 preview page, and I thought I'd just test my memory and see if that year really was as stellar as I remember it. Here are just some of the shows that premiered that spring:

TTGL
Hayate no Gotaku
SnH
Claymore
Oh! Edo Rocket
Nagasarete Airontou
Romeo x Juliet
Sola
Seirei no Moribito
Lucky Star
Kaze no Stigma
OoFuri

And that's just a small smattering. Not all legendary, certainly, but great shows in every category and genre, and a whole bunch of good ones underneath. The economy may play a big part in this, as has been suggested - when times are better, studios will produce more shows and take chances on interesting ideas that aren't guarantees for merchandising windfalls.
Old 2009-04-24, 12:43   Link #52
stubby42

I really dont think I could coble together a top 10 list because I've really only watched a few animes but I'll have a go.

FLCL (Awesometown)
Tekkon kinekreet (or however you spell it, black and white were amazing)
Clannad (it was substantially better than after story)
Clannad after story (despite its weakness's I still liked it)
Beck Mongolion chop squad - (it would be higher but I've only watch six episodes)
Lucky star - (really enjoyed it even if I didnt get all the references, though given a few more episodes k-on will probably be higher as the required knowledge to understand the show is lower)
k-on! (I'm ejoying it but its too early to pass judgement)
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 17:02   Link #53
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Ergo Proxy
Paranoia Agent
Last Exile
Gankutsou
Texhnolyze
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Kara no Kyoukai
Monster
Black Lagoon
Death Note
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 17:22   Link #54
itisjustme

Are movies allowed?

no movies:

Seirei no Moribito
Eve no Jikan
Mushishi
Minami-ke
Chi's Sweet Home
Terra E
The Third
Ghost Hunt
Welcome to the NHK
Shion no Ou

Didn't know what to put in the last spot, hesitated between Shion and Daughter of Twenty Faces, Spice&Wolf, Ghost Hound, Major S2, Black Lagoon, Utawarerumono, RomeoxJuliet etc etc. A lot of good stuff in recent years.

Movies included:

Seirei no Moribito
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
GitS:SAC 2nd Gig compilation movie (Cheating I know )
GitS:SAC Solid State Society
Eve no Jikan
Sword of the Stranger
Mushishi
Kara no Kyoukai
Paprika
Welcome to the NHK

Too bad it stopped at 2006, late 2005 had the likes of Banner of the Stars 3 and FMP!2.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 18:41   Link #55
-Kh-
ポルカ

I want to contribute with my top 10, although it might be more like my favourite animes mostly, of course following the OP guidelines, at least from 2006 till date.

Not really in order (besides the top 4):

- Code Geass
- Death Note
- Suzumiya Haruhi
- Lucky Star

- Maria-sama ga Miteru (Season 4)
- Jigoku Shoujo
- Bounen no Xamdou
- Clannad After Story
- Zegapain
- Shion no Ou

Special mention for:

- Kara no Kyoukai
- Toki o Kakeru Shoujo

And now I realize how I'm leaving out many series, but that I should give it a better thought before doing a real top 10 again. But well, this will do for now.
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 18:11   Link #56
Godai-AK

It depends on how recent is "recent" (I say 5 years), but I would have my list as:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Welcome to the NHK
Haruhi Suzumiya
Elfen Lied
Macross Frontier
Eden of the East (at least so far)
Samurai 7
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
Diebuster
Speed Grapher
Godai-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 13:15   Link #57
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Code Geass
Elfenlied
Speed Grapher
Gungrave
Gunslinger Girl
Black Lagoon
Death Note
Ghost in the Shell
Texhnolyze
Old 2009-05-05, 00:17   Link #58
patnam

Gundam 00
Code Geass R2
Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~
FMA 2
Darker Than Black
School Rumble
Clannad / Clannad After Story
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 01:47   Link #59
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Here we go, my ever controversial list, in order of best to very good:
  1. Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight! (2007): This is one of the few anime I call flawless, because in my opinion it is a beautiful work of art. Words cannot describe my love for it.
  2. Clannad: Tomoyo OVA (2008): I decided to separate this from the series so it could stand out. This little OVA is, in my opinion, amazing. People (like me) sometimes complain how a movie is too short to have meaningful story. However, this OVA proves otherwise. It is simplyhttp://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.global/smilies/frown.gif the best of its kind.
  3. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2007): There's nothing else to say about this overrated series other than it's epic.
  4. 5 Centimeters per Second (2007): I love this movie because it makes slice of life a fantasy. Whenver I think of slice of life, this movie now comes to mind even though elitists won't accept that it's slice of life (since it has a plot oh ho). The one thing I will point out is that I hate narration since it is boring. However, episode one's tl;dr was so poetic and emotional that I loved it. For the first time, I loved narration in anime.
  5. ef - a tale of memories (2007): This anime to me has no specific shining aspect. Instead, everything it attempts to do is equally excellent.
  6. Bokurano (2007): I hate mecha! However, this story was so good at integrating mecha into interesting mini-stories. Some people complain that this so-called "adaptation" deviated from the manga. Do you know what I say to those people? I'm glad I didn't read the manga.
  7. Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino- (2008): Here is a controversial anime that everyone hates. But sadly, this isn't a place for me a defend it since it would be better to do so on a review or blog post.
  8. Moetan (2007): This was epic.
  9. REC (2006): People classify this as a great "romcom," but I personally don't see much "com." What I do see is great execution overall. What I want to point out is hot realistic it is. People actually go to work and it's not about 15-17 year olds in high school. Yeah, older people fall in love too.
  10. Nodame Cantabile (2007): And here is finally an anime worthy to end my list, possibly because it's the only anime I would consider a "romcom" that I love (from 2006-2009). When an anime gives me a good feeling after it and makes me want to watch the next episode, no more analysis is needed. It's just completely entertaining.

And now for the honorable mentions:
  1. Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (2006): I actually love this movie, but like I mentioned above, it's a movie, and I found its plot quite lacking. Particularly, the ending wasn't satisfying and provided more questions...in a bad, incomplete way. But overall, it was very enjoyable and I would recommend everyone to watch it.
  2. Clannad (2007): And here it is, the original season itself. Notice that this doesn't include After Story. In my opinion, with the exception of the play episode, season 1 is a brilliant masterpiece that was pointless. What does that mean? It is very entertaining that goes nowhere. Unlike slice of life/comedy series, Clannad lacks to necessary character development (to go somewhere), which is why it's not higher on my list.
  3. Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora (2006): This is overall a great series that...well, it was just a great series.
  4. K-ON! (2009): To end the lists, I had to mention this anime. Also overhyped/overrated/etc... like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, this anime...deserves its hype! It's like Nodame Cantabile because I feel good after every episode and wants to watch the next. With an anime like that, there's no need to nitpick. All I need to know is that it's entertaining me in ways most anime cannot.

Final Words:
These lists were pretty easy to make because I just put down the anime I rated 8/10 to 10/10 on my list that were from 2006 or later. Like the original poster said, 2007 was a great year for anime. However, this season is looking to be very entertaining! It doesn't look like it will be better than the anime in 2007, but it's so far disproving the "anime is getting shittier everyday" belief (at least to me).
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 22:53   Link #60
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

A small update from the starter of this thread...

I watched two series as a result of the posts here (and that alone makes it by far the most important - to me - post I've made here, for selfish reasons). Ef - a Tale of Memories fits solidly into my honorable mention group. A bit uneven, but altogether ingenious and occasionally quite moving. That alone would have been enough to make me glad I posted this topic.

But the second, Seirei no Moribito, now... That not only powers it's way into my list, but takes over the clear top spot. In fact, I have to give myself some distance from the emotion of watching it before I can decide whether it's in fact my #1 series ever - because right now I think it is. That's how much I loved it. As "Ghost Hound" was probably first among equals in my original list, that means the Godly Production I.G. stakes out #1 and #2 on my list. Production I.G. is the best in the business, and Kenji Kamiyama the best director in the business.

If anyone checks out this topic and hasn't watched Seirei, I plead with you - give this a chance. It has everything - unreal production values, great action, (for me) unparalleled character development, romance, humor, and just plain brilliance at every level. Don't be scared off by some reviewers saying it's too slow in the middle - it does step back the pace for many episodes, but every single damn one of those eps in the middle is vital and essential to making the ending work as powerfully as it does.

Stop reading, start watching. Watch it, I beg you.