Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-08, 07:21   Link #3841
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Well, the IDF does have several decades worth of really bad publicity going against it there. NATO has only been in Afghanistan for six years. NATO would need to blitz something equivalent to Gaza several times a decade before you seemlessly replace the two. And you still need a displaced group of people languishing in small cooped up enclaves or external refugees camps for 30-40 years before you could get Jimmy Carter to fly over there and meet with Taliban leaders.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli...inian_conflict

estimated palestinian deaths between 1987-2005 (couldnt find more data for later years)
4743 (militants as well as civilians)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilia...282001-2003.29

estimated Afghani killed by coalition forces alone between 2000-present
8,436 - 28,028 (civilians only)

should be noted that afganistan is MUCH larger and less crowded then gaza (one of the most crowded places on earth)
and it is far from the US or any other nato countries (as opposed to gaza which is bordered with israel)

should also be noted that the refugee camps are in place for over 60 years because none of the arab countries to which the refugees fled have absorbed them into their general populace (as is usually the case)
and that efforts by the israeli goverment to improve the living conditions in the refugee camps in its controlled territories has been met by UN resolutions forbidding such actions (Resolution 32/90)
Old 2009-09-08, 07:33   Link #3842
killer3000ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli...inian_conflict

estimated palestinian deaths between 1987-2005 (couldnt find more data for later years)
4743 (militants as well as civilians)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilia...282001-2003.29

estimated Afghani killed by coalition forces alone between 2000-present
8,436 - 28,028 (civilians only)

should be noted that afganistan is MUCH larger and less crowded then gaza (one of the most crowded places on earth)
and it is far from the US or any other nato countries (as opposed to gaza which is bordered with israel)
Wouldn't this figures make the IDF seem like humanitarians compared to NATO. Last I checked, the Arabs, and the local Pally waving crowd at uni can't resist making Israel out to be mass murderers of uncomparable scale.

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2009-09-08 at 07:50.
Old 2009-09-08, 07:40   Link #3843
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Wouldn't this figures make the IDF seem like humanitarians compared to NATO. Last I checked, the Arabs, and the local Pally waving crowd at uni can't resist making Israel out to be mass murderers of uncomparable scale.
cant argue with the facts
more people die in NATO and US ops then israeli ones
israel just gets more bad press because it pays to badmouth it

back on topic
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8244065.stm
Quote:
More plane terror plots 'likely'

Quote:
Al-Qaeda is likely to try again to use aircraft to attack the West, Whitehall officials have told the BBC.
Quote:
Security correspondent Frank Gardner said they believed the airline bomb plot was part of al-Qaeda's "obsession" with using commercial airliners.
The warning comes after three British men were convicted of conspiring to kill thousands of people on flights from London to North America.
They planned to disguise home-made liquid bombs as ordinary soft drinks.
i'll give them this much
its better then trying to hide it in your shoe
but this is a bad development for the air travel industry (at the point in time where they dont need any more trouble)
and kinda makes me wonder if some of the latest plane crashes are really accidents (there have been alot of them lately, its almost scary)

Last edited by bladeofdarkness; 2009-09-08 at 15:44.
Old 2009-09-08, 09:29   Link #3844
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

On the Arab-Israeli conflict, I have said this before, and it bears repeating: the demographics do not favour the Jews.

Beyond the hot air from both sides, I don't see any other solution besides a compromise, and a hard one on that. A proper Palestine state in exchange for the renunciation of the right to return sounds fair to me, for starters. The call for the destruction of Israel must go, in exchange for aid to Palestine.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-09-08 at 09:42.
Old 2009-09-08, 09:45   Link #3845
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Oh, the old issue of "face", and not wishing to appear weak, so they can remain in office and stuff more money in their pockets before it's time to go.

The peoples on both sides must decide for themselves what future they want. The future is not looking good for both sides.
Old 2009-09-08, 10:26   Link #3846
LynnieS

Wal-Mart (China) employees detained for shopper's death
Quote:
BEIJING (Reuters) - Two Wal-Mart China employees were detained in southern China following the death of a customer, whom employees followed and pushed to the ground after suspecting her of shoplifting, according to a police website.

Yu Xiaochun died last Wednesday, three days after she was injured in a dispute with five Wal-Mart workers after shopping in a Wal-Mart store, the official website for the Jingdezhen city police from southern Jiangxi province said. (www.jdz110.com)
A piece of news that came out (in China/Asia) yesterday, and is now being reported by the West. There are - although I don't know of many people willing to go on record - gangs in China collecting protection money from bars and such, and there are always... stories of these guys being well-connected on the political side. I didn't think a Western company like Wal-Mart would allow such things, though, even if it was a local decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Oh, the old issue of "face", and not wishing to appear weak, so they can remain in office and stuff more money in their pockets before it's time to go.

The peoples on both sides must decide for themselves what future they want. The future is not looking good for both sides.
Unfortunately, there are also matters of "homeland" and "religious beliefs" involved, so "face" and honor don't 100% explain either side's unwillingness to budge, IMHO.

How China cooks its books
Quote:
In February, local Chinese Labor Ministry officials came to "help" with massive layoffs at an electronics factory in Guangdong province, China. The owner of the factory felt nervous having government officials there, but kept his mouth shut. Who was he to complain that the officials were breaking the law by interfering with the firings, he added. They were the law! And they ordered him to offer his workers what seemed like a pretty good deal: Accept the layoff and receive the legal severance package, or "resign" and get an even larger upfront payment.
WTH...

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!

Last edited by LynnieS; 2009-09-08 at 11:18. Reason: Added news story
Old 2009-09-08, 18:27   Link #3847
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
Unfortunately, there are also matters of "homeland" and "religious beliefs" involved, so "face" and honor don't 100% explain either side's unwillingness to budge, IMHO.
Well, on those issues, both sides have to learn to share the same piece of land. Hence, my "hard compromise" part. In fact, I probably won't see such a compromise in my lifetime.

For those of you who watch Gundam 00, forget the Sri Lankan conflict. This is the conflict which could last 300 years into the future.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-09-08 at 19:30.
Old 2009-09-08, 19:00   Link #3848
Shadow Kira01

Envoy: US open to talks with NKorea

It seems that the United States will continue pushing for six-party talks as opposed to the idea of bilateral negotiations between the two nations as that the US sees other members of the six-party talks as important.

Founder of religion slapped with penalty tax demand

Objects of worship tend to have a wide range of meanings.
Old 2009-09-08, 19:18   Link #3849
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Well, on those issues, both sides have to learn to share the same piece of land. Hence, my "hard compromise" part. In fact, I probably won't see such a compromise in my lifetime.

For those of you who watch Gundam 00, forget the Sri Lanka conflict. This is the conflict which could last 300 years into the future.
the main sticking point has always been jerusalem. my suggestion is nuke jerusalem so nobody gets it. problem solve.
Old 2009-09-08, 19:31   Link #3850
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the main sticking point has always been jerusalem. my suggestion is nuke jerusalem so nobody gets it. problem solve.
That is on my "Things to do for the End of the World", along with nuking the Kaaba and the Vatican.
Old 2009-09-08, 19:33   Link #3851
LynnieS

Quote:
... That's worse than suggesting, say, attacking Mecca or the Vatican (religious) or Buckingham Palace or the White House (political). Jerusalem is a holy place for Christianity, Islam and Judaism. Attacking that place, and you get people for all 3 sects hopping mad.

You're probably better off making Jerusalem, in this case, a pure tourist/religious site, and not allow any permanent residents of any religion. Caretakers are rotated through the site without preference, on a set schedule, and on an one-time only basis to stop hereditary passing of the "honor".

Take "religion" off the table right from the start as a reason for sticking to wanting Jerusalem as your capital, and try to go from there. Religion is a hot topic, esp. for the West, IMHO, unfortunately.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!

Last edited by LynnieS; 2009-09-08 at 19:49.
Old 2009-09-08, 19:34   Link #3852
Oppius
Banned

McCurry Wins Big McAttack in Malaysia

Guess that "Mc" doesn't belong to McDonald's anyway...
Old 2009-09-08, 20:12   Link #3853
Shadow Kira01

You want to nuke this beautiful landscape?

Quote:
The fact that Jerusalem was the land of paradise in the Xenosaga series and that I am a Xenosaga fan just means I don't agree with this idea at all. Certainly true that it appears the majority of military conflicts in the world right now are mainly religious ones, even though most people denies this fact.
Old 2009-09-08, 21:17   Link #3854
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Another option: Go with the original plan and make Jerusalem an independent city state open to all people.
Old 2009-09-09, 00:54   Link #3855
iLney

Nazi deserter hails long-awaited triumph

Nazi deserter hails long-awaited triumph
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8244186.stm

Wow. Nationalism has reached a new level, or I am just being ignorant...
Old 2009-09-09, 02:12   Link #3856
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Another option: Go with the original plan and make Jerusalem an independent city state open to all people.
Well, I heard the UN HQ needs an overhaul, but it'll be far more expensive than building a new one.
So here's a deal for the Security Council here. Build the new UN here. Jerusalem would be then international property, given the size of the estimated buffer zone, and no one can strike it. Then we can do the above.
Old 2009-09-09, 06:52   Link #3857
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Well, I heard the UN HQ needs an overhaul, but it'll be far more expensive than building a new one.
So here's a deal for the Security Council here. Build the new UN here. Jerusalem would be then international property, given the size of the estimated buffer zone, and no one can strike it. Then we can do the above.
Overrun Jerusalem with catgirls is still the best option on the table nobody wants to take. What a bunch of retards the people in the Middle East are.

Actually I do agree with zhanquan here, there isn't much option left. The Israelis can keep their Sayaret Maktal and Mossad but they still need to let the Palestine people have their share of the Gaza.

But if Israel is going to keep Shin Bet running and keeping tabs on the new Palestine, I am totally for it. Not all the fighters are fighting to free Palestine, some are just fighting for "religious justice" which is just another excuse for their greed in making the Mideast the way the want it. World War 3 will then start between the "true inheritors of the world" and the rest of the world, culminating in a zero-sum game with a scorched earth policy.

By then not even post-mortal slayers can save the world, if they even can in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Bad idea. The reason why the terrorists don't strike Switzerland is because that is where they keep their funds. Putting banks in Jerusalem is a worse idea because the terrorists will find an excuse to rob the banks and "use the ill-gotten gains of the white infidels for a cause of justice". Retards never change their way of thinking because they bashed their heads against the wall too many times.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-09-09, 07:07   Link #3858
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Overrun Jerusalem with catgirls is still the best option on the table nobody wants to take. What a bunch of retards the people in the Middle East are.

Actually I do agree with zhanquan here, there isn't much option left. The Israelis can keep their Sayaret Maktal and Mossad but they still need to let the Palestine people have their share of the Gaza.

But if Israel is going to keep Shin Bet running and keeping tabs on the new Palestine, I am totally for it. Not all the fighters are fighting to free Palestine, some are just fighting for "religious justice" which is just another excuse for their greed in making the Mideast the way the want it. World War 3 will then start between the "true inheritors of the world" and the rest of the world, culminating in a zero-sum game with a scorched earth policy.

By then not even post-mortal slayers can save the world, if they even can in the first place.

Bad idea. The reason why the terrorists don't strike Switzerland is because that is where they keep their funds. Putting banks in Jerusalem is a worse idea because the terrorists will find an excuse to rob the banks and "use the ill-gotten gains of the white infidels for a cause of justice". Retards never change their way of thinking because they bashed their heads against the wall too many times.
We have ONLY ONE OPTION LEFT.

Unleash the anti-shadows!

Quote:
Overrun Jerusalem with catgirls is still the best option on the table nobody wants to take.
And this can be factored in too.

Spoiler for NSFW Aegis.:
Old 2009-09-09, 11:48   Link #3859
Shadow Kira01

Chinese Premier Wen hopes to meet Hatoyama soon

The improvement of bilateral ties between Japan and China will proven to be effective against North Korea's nuclear ambitions as that China and North Korea isn't getting along very well. The fact that Yukio Hatoyama had made Okada Katsuya as the new foreign minister indicates that the new government of Japan intends to make better ties with China and South Korea while seeking a review to the Japan-US relations. If China is like the Cyriltian Kingdom, this is actually a very good thing but of course, this is not the case. Nonetheless, the DPJ government intends to meet China before the United States marking a significant "change" in national security and foreign policy.

Although Yukio Hatoyama intends to make his "yuai" policy into reality but there seems be quite a lot of difficulties due to a spate of serious issues. His concept and ideal is very good but it doesn't change the fact that there are many problems without suitable solutions.

----
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
The best option available but will Israel agree to it? After all, Jerusalem is an ancient city of Israel in which it has ancient ruins and also a beautiful landscape. However, by making the city open to everyone, I am sure the Islamic community would be happy as that Jerusalem is the birthplace of multiple religions.

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-09-09 at 12:47.
Old 2009-09-09, 12:00   Link #3860
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
(Adding more later, just spilled water on my laptop keyboard, will be fixing that first.)

----

The best option available but will Israel agree to it? After all, Jerusalem is an ancient city of Israel in which it has ancient ruins and also a beautiful landscape. However, by making the city open to everyone, I am sure the Islamic community would be happy as that Jerusalem is the birthplace of multiple religions.
Problem here.
You're bound to have a lot of trouble here.
There are ONLY 3 city-states in existence (Vatican, Monaco and Singapore) , with 2 other pseudo-city-states. (HK, Macau) And only 4 models.

1. Vatican City model.
Who's going to be the parent state (i.e. Italy for the Vatican)? The UN? Israel? Palestian National Authority? A third nation?

2. Monaco model.
Ok, that's possible. I give that to you. But, who's going to provide defenses? The UN? If not, who?

3. The HK model.
This just compounds the two problems above together.

4. Singapore model
Now that's WORSE. No LKY. No David Marshall. How now? (Even though the geo-political situations are almost the same)

So, really, when we say city-state, which are we looking at?

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international