AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-05, 03:27   Link #41
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
I have some questions about nominations. If a character you are planning to nominate is already nominated, is there no point in nominating them again? Meaning, as long as a character is nominated by at least one person, are they put into the prelims? Or depending on how many times a character is nominated, are they put into a 'better bracket' if even there is such a thing?
No, not every character nominated is put into the prelims. Only 126 characters will make it to the preliminary stage, so everyone not within that group will not make it past nominations.
Old 2009-12-05, 03:28   Link #42
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
I wonder how much nominations will change from now to when they are actually accepted. It's not long, but things can change within a month.
In terms of current season additions, probably not much. It's already nearing the end of Fall 2009, so all the moe scenes would likely be over as the story gets into more serious topics.

The variable here is Christmas break; one can watch alot of anime series during days off.

And that's why I'm only going to think about my nominations after the break!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahasuerus View Post
But Yurie... I don't remember if you were here last year for the extended torture/mutilation that poor Yurie went through... it was awful I couldn't go through that again. Eater and I almost committed ritual suicide over it
Yeah, bad memories.
Old 2009-12-05, 03:33   Link #43
Ash Falls Town

Quote:
(A) Especially only the most popular/trendy ones (This isn't mentioned towards anyone in particular, just the general pool of voters )
Aren't most of the shows in ISML the popular/trendy ones though?

I mean it's not like watching Marginal Prince or Floral Magician Mary Bell helps me enjoy ISML more.
Still more people need to watch Floral Magician Mary Bell regardless.
Old 2009-12-05, 03:36   Link #44
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Not really, most of the series in ISML aren't all that popular, as seen by how badly It's characters are raped.

Kyoani and JCStaff(Those two combined took 12spots of the top 20) seem to produce the most mainstream/popular series, while most other things are left in their wake. Some of the characters near the bottom of ISML ranking are actually quite moe, despite what results might have you to believe...

Alice Caroll!
Old 2009-12-05, 03:38   Link #45
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Quote:
No, not every character nominated is put into the prelims. Only 126 characters will make it to the preliminary stage, so everyone not within that group will not make it past nominations.
Ah, I guess I should've have rephrased my question. What I really wanted to know was if a character is nominated multiple times, does it have higher chance of getting into the nominations, kind of like a voting process.
Old 2009-12-05, 03:43   Link #46
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
Ah, I guess I should've have rephrased my question. What I really wanted to know was if a character is nominated multiple times, does it have higher chance of getting into the nominations, kind of like a voting process.
Well, only the characters with the most nominations(until all spots are filled) will make it past nominations. So a character with only a few nominations has a slim to no chance of making it, while a character with 100 is all but guaranteed. Characters with most nomination votes = priority.
Old 2009-12-05, 04:34   Link #47
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Falls Town View Post
Aren't most of the shows in ISML the popular/trendy ones though?

I mean it's not like watching Marginal Prince or Floral Magician Mary Bell helps me enjoy ISML more.
Still more people need to watch Floral Magician Mary Bell regardless.
Well see, there's the problem: if more voters watched more anime that wasn't so heavily hyped and gushed over by them and their pals, there'd be more diversity in ISML. Deserving characters who are truly moe would have a better chance of getting in over those who are marginally moe (if that).

But voters here seem to trend towards those shows that are talked about regardless of characters, they just follow the buzz and repeat it. And they outnumber those viewers who actually watch the less-popular shows.

This isn't to mean that popular = lame, or anything... I'm a big supporter of KyoAni girls, IF they seem moe to me. It'd just be nice if the Yuries (AND Alice Carolls) of anime got some deserved recognition
Old 2009-12-05, 05:04   Link #48
Ash Falls Town

Quote:
Well see, there's the problem: if more voters watched more anime that wasn't so heavily hyped and gushed over by them and their pals, there'd be more diversity in ISML. Deserving characters who are truly moe would have a better chance of getting in over those who are marginally moe (if that).

But voters here seem to trend towards those shows that are talked about regardless of characters, they just follow the buzz and repeat it. And they outnumber those viewers who actually watch the less-popular shows.
Considering how underwatched Nanatsuiro Drops is :hinthint:. I have to agree with you and fully support this statement.

I don't mean to brag but I do consider myself someone who's watched quite a few underwatched series. And I think that many of these series have characters I would like to see do well in a moe contest.
Old 2009-12-05, 08:24   Link #49
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Darker than Black is my favorite show of this season.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2009-12-05, 15:50   Link #50
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noe View Post
Darker than Black is my favorite show of this season.
Aye aye to that (and to the afore mentioned Bakemonogatari).
FMA Brotherhood is pretty alright, too.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Old 2009-12-05, 17:04   Link #51
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
And there are also some people, like me, who have tried many of these "underwatched anime" (ie. Nanatsuiro Drops), and then drop them because they were sub-par and deserve to go by unnoticed.
Old 2009-12-05, 18:54   Link #52
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
And there are also some people, like me, who have tried many of these "underwatched anime" (ie. Nanatsuiro Drops), and then drop them because they were sub-par and deserve to go by unnoticed.
I think I see what you did there...
Old 2009-12-05, 19:00   Link #53
sovietmisaki
Metal Gear SSSPAAARRRTAAA

what? Comrade Kholdstare-kun created the thread instead of Comrade General Secretary Big Boss Minhtam-sama? never saw that coming
anyways, I'm pretty sure the announcements involving a few certain franchises will cause more instability than usual (my psychic intuition is at it again....)
Old 2009-12-05, 19:01   Link #54
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
minhtam got fired.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2009-12-05, 19:48   Link #55
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Falls Town View Post
Considering how underwatched Nanatsuiro Drops is :hinthint:. I have to agree with you and fully support this statement.

I don't mean to brag but I do consider myself someone who's watched quite a few underwatched series. And I think that many of these series have characters I would like to see do well in a moe contest.
I never saw Nanatsuiro Drops, but for some reason it's on my radar. Maybe someday

And I don't consider it bragging! Any decent anime fan should want to experience not only what the current flavor-of-the-day, but also those titles that slip by unnoticed, and sing their praises

Thanks and thanks

Quote:
...why does Sora no Manimani suddenly come to my mind... (NOT that it's subpar in any way shape or form!) Soooo... who are you nominating from it
Old 2009-12-05, 19:48   Link #56
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
I agree more or less to this.

There are indeed underwatched animes that remain to be lowly rated purely for the fact that they are indeed bad. 8 to 9 out of 10 times is the case. However, there are some situations where underwatched animes that should have gotten more attention but did not, because they did not have the tag "KyoAni" or "J. C. Staff" or a famous director next to the title.

Popularity is an indication of whether a form of media is good or not. If something is popular, then it means a large proportion of the audience liked it and thus has a higher chance of actually being good. The converse is the same - if something is not so popular then it means a large proportion of the audience did not like it and thus has a lower chance of it actually being good.

However, at the end of the day it is personal tastes and preferences that determine whether something is good for that particular person. Overrated/underrated is usually a subjective term that depends on person to person. Whats overrated/underrated to one person might not be to another.
Old 2009-12-05, 19:54   Link #57
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Y'know, there are series with bad ratings that are virtually unheard of, and then there are series with high ratings and are also ridiculously unpopular considering It's merits. Mainstream(High ratings can consider a series good, but not It's own sheer popularity) doesn't mean good. Most the hype comes before the series release, anyways. If it has no hype before release, and turns out great, It's till going to be lacking in terms of popularity. That's right, people make assumptions before they have the facts. And let's not forget marketing. Naruto and Bleach come to mind.
Old 2009-12-05, 20:07   Link #58
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Y'know, there are series with bad ratings that are virtually unheard of, and then there are series with high ratings and are also ridiculously unpopular considering It's merits. Mainstream doesn't mean good. Most the hype comes before the series release, anyways. If it has no hype before release, and turns out great, It's till going to be lacking in terms of popularity. That's right, people make assumptions before they have the facts. And let's not forget marketing. Naruto and Bleach come to mind.
Hence, I said popularity level is an indication of what is good or bad. So are ratings/reviews. A popular series in general has a higher chance of it actually being "good", than unpopular series because popular series are well-liked by a large proportion of people. Same can be said for shows with high vs low ratings/reviews.

Of course popularity isn't always right. In the case of Naruto and Bleach, they were actually good when they started off, but the anime dragged on and became subpar. However, there is a significant amount of people that dislike the anime but like the original manga because it isn't so dragged.

Is other popular anime such as Death Note, Code Geass, Fullmetal Alchemist, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya considered to be overrated and/or overhyped? What about moeblob shows such as K-on or the recently "blockbuster" (in Japan) Bakemonogatari? I think it really depends on the person.

Getting back on topic: I think the same principle applies to "the most moe characters".

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2009-12-05 at 20:23.
Old 2009-12-05, 20:20   Link #59
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Well, what I was trying to say is popular doesn't necessarily mean that It's liked by a good portion of It's viewers. After a anime fan starts up the first episode, most have this "have to finish mentality" And if they don't have that, they just keep thinking It's going to get good eventually. Afterall, the more viewers of a anime, the more likelyhood of there being fans, even if a majority of It's viewers don't even like the anime. And with all those fans added with It's popularity, it brings more viewers, to see what the fuss is about. Meanwhile, unpopular series are screwed from the very start, regardless how awesome the series might seem to the few(comparatively) that watch it. No matter how many Aria fans rave about how amazing it is, there just isn't enough of them to get the point across.
Old 2009-12-05, 20:37   Link #60
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Well, what I was trying to say is popular doesn't necessarily mean that It's liked by a good portion of It's viewers. After a anime fan starts up the first episode, most have this "have to finish mentality" And if they don't have that, they just keep thinking It's going to get good eventually. Afterall, the more viewers of a anime, the more likelyhood of there being fans, even if a majority of It's viewers don't even like the anime. And with all those fans added with It's popularity, it brings more viewers, to see what the fuss is about. Meanwhile, unpopular series are screwed from the very start, regardless how awesome the series might seem to the few(comparatively) that watch it. No matter how many Aria fans rave about how amazing it is, there just isn't enough of them to get the point across.
And I agree. Same can be said for Legend of the Galatic Heroes.

However, it does annoy me when people "blindly hate" popular shows purely for the fact they are popular without seeing the show themselves. I know that I have been guilty of this myself and I try my hardest not to. As much as I would like to diss the new Twilight movie and call it overrated, I cannot because I have (and likely will not) watch it.
Closed Thread

Tags
contest, isml, saimoe, tournament, voting