AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 93 45.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 28.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 36 17.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 5.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.99%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-02, 06:09   Link #181
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
They are dead people in a freaking highschool where they are told nothing and must figure out everything by trial and error. Give them a break. I doubt you would even want to be close to a girl who held the power to hack and slash you over and over and wouldn't stop even if you shot her. Its so much easier to talk crap when you have the benefit of retrospective, not to mention a higher perspective. Yuri does a pretty good job of leading a nonsensical batch of random teens with attitudes.
Uh yes I would. Especially when I had no clue what on earth was going and it seems she might have some answers. Also she rarely if ever acts in a somewhat aggressive manner. Nobody is trying to figure out where they are and who is in charge. Given that the teachers could remove Tenshi from Student Council President means that the teachers are a higher level of authority. This isn't even retrospective but just using some basic common sense. All these guys are doing is rebelling just to rebel. It's obvious that nobody there except for maybe the teachers and Tenshi have any clue what is going and what they're doing. It also seems nobody has gone up to her and just asked her how much she knows, she might not answer or even know but it gives off the impression that they haven't tried.
Old 2010-05-02, 06:10   Link #182
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Yet the comparison is interesting in itself, because it adds interesting informations to both series...

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

Old 2010-05-02, 06:12   Link #183
Crontica

Yuri has said they have questioned her to no avail.
So you'd think raid missions, snooping and infomation gathering would be frequent. They're obviously slacking.
Old 2010-05-02, 06:18   Link #184
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
Yuri has said they have questioned her to no avail.
So you'd think raid missions, snooping and infomation gathering would be frequent. They're obviously slacking.
Considering the fact that they didn't even know her name, I wonder about the questions they were asking her. It also seems that they didn't even ask or inquire why the teachers are there and whether they know some info.
Old 2010-05-02, 06:43   Link #185
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Uh yes I would. Especially when I had no clue what on earth was going and it seems she might have some answers. Also she rarely if ever acts in a somewhat aggressive manner. Nobody is trying to figure out where they are and who is in charge. Given that the teachers could remove Tenshi from Student Council President means that the teachers are a higher level of authority. This isn't even retrospective but just using some basic common sense. All these guys are doing is rebelling just to rebel. It's obvious that nobody there except for maybe the teachers and Tenshi have any clue what is going and what they're doing. It also seems nobody has gone up to her and just asked her how much she knows, she might not answer or even know but it gives off the impression that they haven't tried.
Read the novel to see why SSS keep away from Tenshi.

Actually, you don't need to. You can very easily see why normal people would stay away from her.

It is retrospective to claim that they should have had prepared a better plan, got more information etc. in the sense that you came to know that the Tenshi is human after their actions and you get to see every side of the story. You aren't the one trying to lead a random bunch of literal morons while trying to figure out everything about the world you are in by trial and error. Your statement, "she rarely, if ever, acts in an aggressive manner," is as retrospective as it can be. How the effing heck are you supposed to know her pacifist behavior unless you get to observe her like us viewers do lol. For all the SSS could care, she has had a lot of pain-inflicting battles with them, they'd be nervous just being in her field of vision.

Now, its very very easy to claim that its common sense to go ask the student council president for more information while you are away from conflict and get to see all the characters from an omniscient point of view. Try imagining yourself as a person who suddenly woke up in a random school with everyone acting as though you had always been a student there. And nobody in the school gives you any information. The teachers, the students, they are all emotionless and given that the president exudes the same lack of emotion, common sense depicts that it'd be useless to talk to her. Add the fact that she possesses supernatural abilities and nobody would want to talk to her. The fact that she has no friend serves as proof of this fact.

As for your hypotheses that the teachers held more authority than the student president, given that everything about a high school is emulated, on the surface at least, they would be. However, its more about keeping the pretense of a proper school than a hierarchy of authority, methinks. The teachers aren't a higher level of authority at all, they can't do jackshit, its Kadane who upholds the law etc. There is a higher level of authority, but its not the teachers, the teachers are just for show. Or at least that's what I think. I doubt there is a single, all-powerful existence that you could single out as god behind such an elaborate setting as that school, but depending on just how dark the tone can get, we could get anything from a council of compassionate senile elderly to much sinister forces that I would rather not list. I get the feeling that this issue won't be addressed by the anime though.
Old 2010-05-02, 06:44   Link #186
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Can we just drop the obnoxious and nonsensical comparison between AB and Haruhi, for goodness' sake?
Not only both franchise has little to no common point, but both heroines are sharply different.

Haruhi is not the origin of "possibly bossy leader girl" in anime history you know, so isn't Yuki Nagato regarding Machine/Kuudere type. And even if you count that "general demeanor", backstory, decisions and emotions are nowhere similar between the said characters.

And this is an irritating ad nauseam offtopic, which will just be another good reason to perform a clean up.
agreed, i have been complaining about this since episode 1, can't believe the whole yuri == haruhi still exist till episode 5, meh
Old 2010-05-02, 06:52   Link #187
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Oh God the Haruhiists are taking over another thread.... again. Please people just drop it, this is reaching Narutard levels.
Old 2010-05-02, 06:59   Link #188
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
HAH. Im sorry but if Haruhi ever bothered to use her brain cells for more than 10 minutes, she would be realizing why she is wasting her days away on a small time SOS club and would have gone higurashi by now.
no, she just pretending to be a stupid hyper girl. if you forgotten WHY she became god, rewatch.
Old 2010-05-02, 07:03   Link #189
Jarmel

Quote:

Actually, you don't need to. You can very easily see why normal people would stay away from her.

It is retrospective to claim that they should have had prepared a better plan, got more information etc. in the sense that you came to know that the Tenshi is human after their actions and you get to see every side of the story. You aren't the one trying to lead a random bunch of literal morons while trying to figure out everything about the world you are in by trial and error. Your statement, "she rarely, if ever, acts in an aggressive manner," is as retrospective as it can be. How the effing heck are you supposed to know her pacifist behavior unless you get to observe her like us viewers do lol. For all the SSS could care, she has had a lot of pain-inflicting battles with them, they'd be nervous just being in her field of vision.

Now, its very very easy to claim that its common sense to go ask the student council president for more information while you are away from conflict and get to see all the characters from an omniscient point of view. Try imagining yourself as a person who suddenly woke up in a random school with everyone acting as though you had always been a student there. And nobody in the school gives you any information. The teachers, the students, they are all emotionless and given that the president exudes the same lack of emotion, common sense depicts that it'd be useless to talk to her. Add the fact that she possesses supernatural abilities and nobody would want to talk to her. The fact that she has no friend serves as proof of this fact.

As for your hypotheses that the teachers held more authority than the student president, given that everything about a high school is emulated, on the surface at least, they would be. However, its more about keeping the pretense of a proper school than a hierarchy of authority, methinks. The teachers aren't a higher level of authority at all, they can't do jackshit, its Kadane who upholds the law etc. There is a higher level of authority, but its not the teachers, the teachers are just for show. Or at least that's what I think. I doubt there is a single, all-powerful existence that you could single out as god behind such an elaborate setting as that school, but depending on just how dark the tone can get, we could get anything from a council of compassionate senile elderly to much sinister forces that I would rather not list. I get the feeling that this issue won't be addressed by the anime though.
It's pretty obvious that the regular students aren't afraid of her as in episode 3 when she tears down those posters and the students start to gang up on her. Also note how she hasn't yelled at anybody or responded in any emotional manner, she acts very professional and to the point. The gang isn't adjusting for changes in their knowledge like Yurippe still trying to rebel even when she has a very good idea that Tenshi is actually human(which we still don't know yet). The other guys seemingly don't even care.

If I was stuck in that situation then my first priority would be find out who knows anything and go ask them. If they didn't tell me then I would go and try either other ways of finding out info instead of deciding that I would just attack the head honchos which I don't even know if they know anything. Yurippe has no idea what's going on and instead of trying to cooperate and ask Tenshi especially after she knows Tenshi is not an angel is just stupid. In this case the people in the world should have a better idea that she isn't aggressive seeing as she doesn't barge in and have them all detained or anything of that manner. As Otonashi notes, she acts in a very defensive manner and it's amazing that he and it seems Yurippe are the only ones who know or care.

Considering they removed Kaname, they are definitely in a higher position of authority. She may uphold they law but it's them who set down the laws. Also in episode 3 during the concert they interfere instead of Tenshi and it seems all she was doing was spectating. She takes orders from them, not the other way around.
Old 2010-05-02, 07:24   Link #190
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:

So to sum it up, sss keep away from tenshi because she show no emotion and always act as efficient as possible to preserve the school activity in check as in working order and also possesing supernatural ability? fair enough, but i think this discussion would be better in tenshi character thread though , as a matter of fact i am quite interested to the tenshi in the novel, mind discussing about her more on her thread?
Old 2010-05-02, 07:51   Link #191
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Haruhi Q&A section is THAT a way, guys. *points down*

In any case, seems that Maeda's pulled the b'awwing on Kanade.

Wonder what the new pres will do...
Old 2010-05-02, 07:51   Link #192
Joachim
et tu, brute?

ano.. minna san, this is angel beats thread not haruhi?
Old 2010-05-02, 07:56   Link #193
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

The beginning of the episode was rather fun and lively, second half became solem and saddening. I'm glad Yuri and Otanashi could understand Kanade wasn't a threat to them because they'd always attack her first.

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Old 2010-05-02, 07:59   Link #194
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

iwasawa was the only character i liked in the whole anime. though i'm starting to like kanada.
Old 2010-05-02, 08:05   Link #195
En3mick

Pretty much all of them are clueless, the informations that they have are just limited and in some points none ^^
And lol, they didn't even knew her name? The first thing to do is learn about your enemy as much information as possible in order to defeat him - her in this situation - .

Also, from the moment that they suspected that she was a human they could had tried a different way to approach her, but the way Yuri acts is more like "i will go against everyone and i will do things my own way".

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2010-05-02, 08:06   Link #196
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

While i myself found many resembling of Yuri and Haruhi. Still i think we should stop talking about it here. Maybe go to character or generic discussion for that.....
Quote:

Agree to your points there mate.

Simply, those who do not follow Yuri and can get friendly or try to follow Tenshi's direction ended up disappearing to a God-know-where place. Then with her superior power and desire to keep up the law by force; from the SSS point of view, the only difference of Kanade and a real life cold blood dictator is moe factor, really. In fact, they even afraid that Kanade will slit their throat in their sleeps (I doubt any of us viewers would have such fears)

Everything we knows so far about Tenshi was from Yuri's operation. If gaining information through conversation worked , one of those idiot and hot blood guys have probably tried so.
Old 2010-05-02, 08:25   Link #197
Key Board
Carbon

I'm starting to think that there are things no such as NPCs

Either that or everyone is an NPC
Old 2010-05-02, 08:30   Link #198
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Heh, it's just Yuri being Yuri. She can't accept people who actually follow the rules of the school and tags them with a derogatory term like NPC.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-05-02, 08:30   Link #199
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I doubted the NPC identities at first also. But a bunches of students who found nothing strange about a world without hospital, and possibly other services. Then remain normal at the screen of school delinquents fighting with the student President using laser swords and guns.....

They can't be ordinary students
Old 2010-05-02, 08:34   Link #200
Key Board
Carbon

They know what they are and what this world is.
That's why they let people like Yuri do her own thing.

The ones with questions end up joining Yuri's group.
The others try to find meaning in all of this and participate in school life.
Or perhaps they had questions too but decided to join the school life after some time passed

I think NPC is a just a label that Yuri uses to brand everyone that is not on her team

Yuri analyzes a lot of things, but she tends to be short sighted.
I think she is disgruntled when she didn't get clear answers from the so called NPCs.
But I think the NPCs can't answer difficult questions because they have very little idea about this too.
I am rather convinced that everything she has done is a case of an extreme knee jerk reaction
Closed Thread