AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2009-04-09, 15:35   Link #81
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Fuze, you aren't looking harder.

Screens for episode 1:

To echo everyone, very impressive first episode that built tremendous anticipation for the mystery behind the appearance of the mysterious shounen. The mystery shounen has yet to decide if he is the Taxi Driver or Jayson Bourne.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 16:17   Link #82
4get

Spoiler for Manhattan already with the new 1 World Trade Center skyscraper:
4get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 16:21   Link #83
Raiga
tl;dr

Oooh, nice attention to detail.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I was just in D.C. earlier this week. I recognized the Mall area and the place in front of the White house. Pretty accurate, so far as I can remember.
Old 2009-04-09, 17:02   Link #84
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

First episode and I already LOVE this show.

The OP & ED songs were done extremely well and rarely do I watch theme songs more than 2 times out of my own entertainment. I already love the 2 main characters and Akira's flashing made me LOL big time xD As if you can't get enough odd angles of Akira...

Definately continueing this show *3*
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 18:21   Link #85
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Urg...this was slightly too hard for me to watch in raw, guess I should wait for a sub next time.

The opening and ending are certainly very interesting. The opening felt like...modern blog layouts? I don't know how to explain it, but it's vectors that you see all over the internet. The ending sequence is amazing. K-on's ending was the best ending animation I seen in these couple of years, but this ending is even better. I dont even know how they can manage to find so much paper and taking it frame by frame.

I'll comment on the episode itself when I seen a subbed version. But it does look very interesting and promising. Noitamina do have some interesting shows...
Old 2009-04-09, 19:25   Link #86
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

Episode 1 Screenshots
Celestial Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 20:10   Link #87
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

I really lolled when
Spoiler:

Is it just me or do you guys also here a Mamoru Miyano in Akira. Ryohei Kimura really sounds like him in some of his lines (they both have that really light voice). Both VA's were really good imo. Also pleasantly surprised by that they actually hired American va's for the Americans. Great animation and art. I really hope this ends up being a great anime. I.G needs to kick it up a notch. Their latest shows haven't really impressed me that much.

Last edited by Haohmaru; 2009-04-09 at 20:22.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 20:15   Link #88
Omniscient

I was very impressed by pretty much every aspect of the first episode. The production quality is great, the characters are fun, the story is very promising, and there's humor to boot. This is shaping up to be a must-watch series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
The opening and ending are certainly very interesting. The opening felt like...modern blog layouts? I don't know how to explain it, but it's vectors that you see all over the internet.
Kinetic Typography was what first came to my mind when I saw the OP, but it's a mix of a lot of things (CG, traditional animation, flowery designs).
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 20:19   Link #89
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

"GET THAT GUUY!" - Well I guess the English wasn't 100% perfect.

Anyhow, first episode is impressive.. I want more.

Spoiler:
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 20:30   Link #90
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
I really lolled when
Spoiler:

Is it just me or do you guys also here a Mamoru Miyano in Akira. Ryohei Kimura really sounds like him in some of his lines (they both have that really light voice). Both VA's were really good imo. Also pleasantly surprised by that they actually hired American va's for the Americans. Great animation and art. I really hope this ends up being a great anime. I.G needs to kick it up a notch. Their latest shows haven't really impressed me that much.
IG are just the studio, but we got two heavyweight artists, teaming up for the first time to produce something that has two distinct styles, meshed as one as never seen before and it has no manga, Kamiyama wrote this series directly from his mind.
For Japan to gamble an anime series based on reputation of two people is calling for some serious expectations, not just from the fans, but from everyone.

I doubt they're gonna want to let anyone down, the only thing some of the japanese fans are questioning is the (bad) timing with N.Korea and missles

It was already stated back in Febuary on the Eden website that 10 missles fall on Tokyo, but the timing now isn't so good with the recent news...
Hopfully politics won't get involved too much ^^;;

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 20:44   Link #91
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Well Real Drive was original as well, right? Done by a respected mangaka. I don't know much about Kamiyama's writing skills, but I do like the animes he's directed and shows he's been involved with.

About the whole missile thing. I actually found that quite amusing. I mean it's almost like Kamiyama predicted it. I don't know how long ago he started on the screenplay, but it must've been before the whole missile thing. Anyway, I hope they won't make a big deal out of it. In the end it's just an anime.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 21:15   Link #92
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Interesting. I could've sworn I heard a reference to Jason Bourne in the dialogue. Somehow that feels very appropriate for this show.

English was pretty good, engrish was lulzy. And...

Spoiler for 'ID':

Loved that OP
Old 2009-04-09, 21:31   Link #93
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I liked this ep so much I did a blog post about it. It's always nice when the show you are most looking forward to turns out this good -- at least through one episode.

I'm not sure how it will actually work in Japan, but from a distance it feels like the missile coincidence might draw attention to the show and be good for sales.

By the way, here is a link to the radio show, which starts Friday in Japan and features the two stars. The file hasn't appeared yet, but will be at the bottom of the page.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 22:33   Link #94
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Nothing says more "tree killers" than the ED.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 23:14   Link #95
Proudleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
Nothing says more "tree killers" than the ED.
Nothing says "INSANELY HIGH PRODUCTION VALUES" more than the ED.

But in all seriousness, recycling efforts have improved significantly over the years.
Proudleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 23:26   Link #96
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

I sat down and typed out all the random English shown in the background of the OP. (Well, most of it, not the stuff related to the Selecao system, the name of the show and the "tag line" of that secret organization ("The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power")). Most of these lines are only visible for a few frames at a time, or with a stupidly small font.

Not spoilered because it's in the goddamned OP:
Quote:
I saw you in Heaven
and heard of your glory
You saved our world from the fallen angels
I saw Messiah standing,
Standing before me with no words
Nothing but "Hope".
When we lost dread, a Demon was laughing
But now you are showing us wonder
Giving your love
With awe, down on my knees again
I've got to know you're the one,
The only one reveals the world

The King has come!
To lighten up our feet
The King has come!
To save us from the dark
Who could ever doubt? We have faith

Let me walk with you when I'm lost in the wild
I know you always lead me to another Eden
Let me bless your name, O Lord, O Lord!
Your words will never fade away
Since we believe you're the light on earth
Reveals the world
tl;dr: that nameless memoryless guy is Jesus.

e: there is a lot of fucking symbolism in this here show, and I'm not just talking about the OP.

e2:
Spoiler for episode 1 clues:

e3: somehow I get the feeling this is going to focus more on the love story than on the mystery/action parts.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2009-04-10 at 00:48.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 00:45   Link #97
Quorum

Sketches of the chara.
Quorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 01:28   Link #98
Taken

hmmm action anime with Honey and Clover art... curiously interesting
Taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 02:48   Link #99
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
I love the 1st eps, the OP = AMAZING, the ED artistic style is even more amazing

btw where does the random English text in the OP come from? Bible ?

The English is also excellent, with African American accent too, I like that they pay this attention to detail.
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 03:36   Link #100
Katapan
俺様祭り

Animation Program and Movie Average Television Household Audience Ratings in the Kantou Region of Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Saitama, Chiba, etc.)

*4.8% (--.-%) 04/09 (Thu) 24:45-25:15 Fuji TV Higashi no Eden (Eden of the East) (New)

That's Noitamina doing good. Recent shows like Genji and Antique Bakery weren't able to hit these numbers (Nodame Paris Chapter was, though). Then again, the timeslot's popularity does stem from a Umino Chika show, the character design might really play a part here. I also reckon this has the potential to have very satisfying DVD sales, but I'm clearly just taking wild guesses (and being hopeful, too).

The character design isn't the element I like the most in the show, but there's so much more to love. Everything looked fantastic (most particularly the backgrounds, which looked like so much effort was put into them), Hayami Saori was fantastic, the story moved in a direction that did not bore me once. Any of my expectations have been far surpassed.

Tags
romance, spy thriller