AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-21, 00:26   Link #1421
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Why didn't the volleyball club sneak a shot at the flag panzer the moment they spotted them? I mean, that was a long period of speechlessness.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they where sent out to look for flag tank only to accidentally run into them...
Old 2012-11-21, 01:07   Link #1422
SatelliteCannon

So all of those scenes involving that hex grid map that the audience watches have inspired me to make a few mods to a certain tank game:

Spoiler for Girls und Steel Panther:
SatelliteCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 02:07   Link #1423
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

So, why did Kei bring 10 tanks if she's going to insist on even numbers?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 02:12   Link #1424
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, in this anime even the toughest tank could be "flagged" by any tank even if it has a smaller gun...

If this were the real thing, no tanks will be attempting to get close by 2 meters to another before firing....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 02:15   Link #1425
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The 10 tanks were a bit overkill, but not actually excessive due to the flag rules, and so could be construed as "fair". Only when Kay realized that they had been cheating the entire match with Arisa's radio interception did she decide to forego their numbers advantage to even the odds for Oarai.

Kay's a cool customer like that

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 02:17   Link #1426
Dark Wing

Also in this episode that Arisa made mention of Oourai Academy is on the verge of shutting down could this be foreshadowing maybe?

Prediction:

Oourai is close to shutting down because student enrollment has been in decline and only way to save the school to is to revive their battle tank club while gaining prestige and reputation in the upcoming tournament. Problem is there nobody competent enough in tank warfare because the club was disbanded a long time ago due to unknown reasons.

The student council then catches a lucky break with the news that Miho Nishizumi had left her last school. Miho then gets an invite to enroll to their school and jumps at the opportunity thinking they don't have a Tank club only to have it conveniently reopen once she enrolled.
Old 2012-11-21, 02:19   Link #1427
4Tran

Quote:
- Why didn't the volleyball club sneak a shot at the flag panzer the moment they spotted them? I mean, that was a long period of speechlessness.
The why they didn't fire has been covered by other posters, but the period of speechlessness is indicative of combat paralysis. Neither tank expected to encounter an enemy right then and there, so they didn't know how to respond. It's quite nifty that the creators snuck this one in.

Quote:
- Why is this show so good?
Good writing, direction, action, music design and a great eye for details. I'm surprised I like this show so much even though I don't think the characters are particularly great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
Cute girls in panzers firing at each other over a tournament, people living in aircraft carriers, and somehow no one gets injured?
I get the feeling that this sport isn't as safe as it's made out to be - the Type 89 caught fire for crying out loud. I would assume that their ammo won't explode, but there's no way to make fire safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
By the way, Girls und Panzer has emerged as by far the most popular show of the season on 2channel, having recently roared up to over 105,000 posts, compared to 75,000 for Chuunibyou. Less than two weeks ago, they were tied.
That's great! It's also a bit surprising since Girls und Panzer is rather heavier on the Panzer side than the Girl side. Then again, that may be the secret to its success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
That surely is a hard earned victory for Oorai. Just try to avoid the very strong Firefly tank, and concentrate on the enemy flag tank instead. A little sad seeing everyone losing hope near the end of the match, StuG can't fire at the flag tank anymore because it had to cover the back of the T38, and T38 isn't a match for the Saunders flag tank. But it all turned out ok in the end with good shot from Hana.
In a running battle, the StuG III is more badly handicapped than any tank. Since it has no turret, it takes longer to lay its gun after the AFV stops. And while a regular WWII tank has very little chance of hitting (the 38(t) did take a lucky glancing shot), a self-propelled gun has no chance at all. If you get a StuG III running, then either it gets away, or it dies.

For anyone wondering about the apparent lack of accuracy of all the vehicles in this fight, consider all the elements that are involved in scoring a hit. First you have to align the gun towards the target, then you have to determine the range and elevate the gun accordingly. In the best of conditions, this takes a dozen seconds to do. But if your tank is moving over uneven ground, the gun orientation is boucing in every direction, and there's literally no way to lay the gun. This means that with every shot fired on the move, the gunner is firing wildly and only relying on luck to score a hit. Note how all the kills in the entire fight were scored by AFVs that were sitting still (assuming that's how the Firefly got the Type 89.

Quote:
I now think Kay is a nice person who fights fair. Congratulating them, and didn't even bring up the issue on Yukari's spying on Saunders school. Looks like it's the first time an opponent has been nice to Miho, she looked happy and a little surprised when Kay extended a handshake to her.
Kay is awesome, and it's just too bad we didn't see more of her (and that we're probably not going to see her any more).

Quote:
I do not see the purpose of having so many interesting tanks to choose from the Sherman side and only going with one Firefly.
They're supposed to be fielding American tanks, and the Firefly is British . Anyways, the tanks they had lined up were sheer overkill, and if Kay hadn't handicapped Saunders, they would have won anyways. And if Saunders hadn't been baited out of position, they would also have won. Besides, one Firefly is sexy enough; any more will just make the rest of the Shermans feel inadequate.

Quote:
The americans knowing that someone spied on them insisted in going with their tactic (maybe a jab to americans in general being bullheaded?).
They're not Americans, and I think that it's a partial reference to how the real Americans stuck with the tank destroyer doctrine even though it was unsuited to the kind of combat their armies were seeing.

Quote:
I personally, with 3 tanks vs 5 tanks (once the two tanks at the back are disabled) would have opted to tell the StuG to turn around and rush and attempt to hit the Firefly with it's gun, or ram it if all else fails, the Sherman has nice guns, but the Firefly is the biggest threat in a long range fight.
Killing the Firefly wouldn't have helped too much because the other Shermans had way more firepower than the other Ooarai tanks. A trade of StuG III for Firefly actually helps Saunders - Yukari even alluded to this in episode 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Less versatile. The fireflies shot slower, loaded slower, aimed slower. They were better at standing and pounding rather than running and gunning. The baseline Sherman is a better mix of capabilities, and it just plain makes sense to build a team around using them as the main tank. Fireflies are dangerous, no doubt at all, but they worked best with support from lighter, faster units keeping them clear while they took out the big targets.
In real combat, maybe. But in this tournament, Fireflies are king. A slower rate of fire is a cheap trade-off for better long-range accuracy and superb penetration. It's only less versatile if the opponent is badly overmatched (like Ooarai was ). As is, Naomi's Firefly accounted for three Ooarai tanks.

The main reason you'd want to other tanks to support Fireflies is because the 17-pounder isn't as good against non-armor targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
- Firing at moving target at far range with StuGIII unrotatable gun is too painful.
The StuG III's gun has about 25-degrees of traverse, so it's not too bad at long range. It's when it's outflanked that it's in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
If this were the real thing, no tanks will be attempting to get close by 2 meters to another before firing....
In World War II, tanks would very rarely get even within 50m of each other, and most of those cases were when they surprised each other. The general combat engagement was fought at 800-900m.
Old 2012-11-21, 03:01   Link #1428
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Killing the Firefly wouldn't have helped too much because the other Shermans had way more firepower than the other Ooarai tanks. A trade of StuG III for Firefly actually helps Saunders - Yukari even alluded to this in episode 5.
That's one of the things I was trying (poorly) to say in my response to that comment. In terms of each team's ability to hurt the enemy, killing the Firefly doesn't really weaken Saunders very much, while losing the StuG drastically weakens Oarai.

Quote:
Besides, one Firefly is sexy enough; any more will just make the rest of the Shermans feel inadequate.
Not to mention that fielding a team of ten Fireflies against Oarai's mixed bag mostly low-level tanks? Not only would that be overkill, it would feel like overkill. Like using a nuke against a mosquito. It's not really going to impress anyone. "Yeah, I brought in overwhelming force and I won, aren't you impressed?" Well... no, because the other side never had a chance to begin with. This is a sport and a martial art. How you win can be nearly as important as winning in and of itself.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 03:09   Link #1429
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I'm not really sure if you caught the implication that Ooarai is literally going with what little resources has, which isn't a lot. It can't afford to GET any new tanks either
This. Could the WoT-playing neckbeards please stop complaining about Oorai's lineup already?

As an aside, it's no Panzerlied, but here's the second track that comes with the ED single, which shows off the singing ability of the Ankou team VA's:

I'd be interested to see what the translated lyrics are.

Last edited by jwai; 2012-11-21 at 06:16.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 03:29   Link #1430
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Someone actually made it.....

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2012-11-21, 04:41   Link #1431
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
In World War II, tanks would very rarely get even within 50m of each other, and most of those cases were when they surprised each other. The general combat engagement was fought at 800-900m.
Thanks for the correction.

Now charging other tanks to get better penetration within 50m seemed so much ridiculous if not stupid for a tank commander to do... I mean knowing the enemy could penetrate yours at 800-900m!!!

That's why my tank enthusiasm and the anime usually oppose each other in terms of penetration is the topic.... LOlss
Old 2012-11-21, 05:11   Link #1432
Seiryuu

Just one question and sorry if it's been adressed: who the heck is Takashi!?
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 05:15   Link #1433
garbage

^ some guy Arisa of Suanders in love with (and got shafted) i think. not really important just part of her panic rambling
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 05:28   Link #1434
NoemiChan
Banned

Just watched the episode.... I praise those who could actual hit a target without shouting too much.
Old 2012-11-21, 05:48   Link #1435
sandhy88
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

Images
Reason of Oarai cannot lose
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Is it true or just Alisa mocking them?
sandhy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 06:17   Link #1436
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhy88 View Post
Images
Reason of Oarai cannot lose

Is it true or just Alisa mocking them?
It's been alluded to since the first episode that something terrible will befall the school if they cannot field a successful tank team.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 06:37   Link #1437
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Kay is awesome, and it's just too bad we didn't see more of her (and that we're probably not going to see her any more).
She could come back as a spectator to watch the Oorai matches.

On another topic, it's briefly shown at the end that one of the tanks fighting against Pravda (russian team) seem to have needed to raise a second flag, and one of white flags seemed ragged as if the tank has been fired on after it has already raised the first flag. I wonder if it's a rules violation to fire on a tank that has already raised a flag.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 08:31   Link #1438
gaiar31

What song on Ep06 Time 7.00 when Kay is decide to fight oarai with 5 tank ?
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 09:29   Link #1439
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiar31 View Post
What song on Ep06 Time 7.00 when Kay is decide to fight oarai with 5 tank ?
YouTube

Old 2012-11-21, 09:35   Link #1440
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Not to mention that fielding a team of ten Fireflies against Oarai's mixed bag mostly low-level tanks? Not only would that be overkill, it would feel like overkill. Like using a nuke against a mosquito. It's not really going to impress anyone. "Yeah, I brought in overwhelming force and I won, aren't you impressed?" Well... no, because the other side never had a chance to begin with. This is a sport and a martial art. How you win can be nearly as important as winning in and of itself.
Really, the Firefly was a tank that the Americans were offered and explicitly refused to accept. Saunders fielding the one is a bit of a stretch, and they could have easily substituted it for another 76mm. But I think the creators found the Firefly too sexy to not include, and we wouldn't have had that bit about how the 17-pounder sounds different from the other guns.

I also don't think the creators are that interested in showing off all the best murder machines. If they were, they sure wouldn't have saddled Ooarai with such a mixed bag of weaker tanks.

Quote:
Thanks for the correction.

Now charging other tanks to get better penetration within 50m seemed so much ridiculous if not stupid for a tank commander to do... I mean knowing the enemy could penetrate yours at 800-900m!!!

That's why my tank enthusiasm and the anime usually oppose each other in terms of penetration is the topic.... LOlss
That's why in most engagements where you have the inferior tanks, the goal is generally to sneak a tank into the enemy's flank and shoot at the weaker armor there. Ironically, this is what the Germans had to do more than the Allies did. The main reason we don't hear about this is that too much of the World War II story is told from the Western Ally point of view.

Quote:
Just watched the episode.... I praise those who could actual hit a target without shouting too much.
Naomi is surprisingly awesome. I like how much characterization was shown in episode 6 even though it's almost completely about the battle.

Quote:
She could come back as a spectator to watch the Oorai matches.
Yeah, but it's not the same. Darjeeling lost most of her touch as a bystander, for instance.

Quote:
On another topic, it's briefly shown at the end that one of the tanks fighting against Pravda (russian team) seem to have needed to raise a second flag, and one of white flags seemed ragged as if the tank has been fired on after it has already raised the first flag. I wonder if it's a rules violation to fire on a tank that has already raised a flag.
That's just a comical touch. The tank raised two flags because it's a 7TP with two turrets . If that poor tank was a T-35, then we'd have seen five white flags.

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks