AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2020-09-03, 00:16   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 989 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Hello once again, folks! It's time to get this show on the road! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is something like "I feel like we won't lose". Ministory involves Pound showing his daughters a locket with a picture of them as babies as proof he's their father. Amusingly, the twins are barely visible in the photo because the younger Linlin kicked Pound out of the room when the photo was taken, heh.

-As the battle rages on in Onigashima, Kaidou's men run from Big Mom, knowing she'll go berserk! As for Luffy, he prepares to head for the roof to face Kaidou, but not before telling Yamato to look after Momo and Shinobu. Unfortunately, she freaks the both of them out when she approaches them, heh.

-As Linlin recovers from Franky's attack, the cyborg introduces himself to her. Nami tries to warn him to flee, but Franky disagrees, saying that facing a Yonkou is inevitable in their quest to make Luffy Pirate King! The cyborg the prepares to fire his Radical Beam at the empress, but three new Numbers suddenly appear! It's at this point that Big Mom reveals something interesting about them: The Numbers are failed experiments from Punk Hazard who were an attempt to replicate the Ancient Giants (think Oars)! One of those Numbers happens to be holding the tank Usopp and Chopper are riding, so Franky redirects his beam at the monster instead! Meanwhile, Robin and Jinbei team up to kick Big Mom's ass, though the former warlord warns that BM will recover from the assault, more wrathful than ever before.....

-Franky declares it's time to assemble the Franky Shogun, which excites Usopp and Chopper! Back to Luffy, he meets up with Zoro on the stage, and the two decide to go face Kaidou together. However, before they can reach the roof, they get caught by Queen, who changed into his dino form! And what's more, King, along with several flying Gifters, are blocking the path to the roof, as well! It's at this point we learn that Sanji survived his earlier tangle with King, thanks to his suit. Still, despite facing these seemingly insurmountable odds, the yakuza boss Hyougoro still feels their side won't lose. The chapter ends with the ENTIRE Straw-Hat crew gathered together, facing off against Queen and King's forces.....!!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-03, 00:25   Link #2
marvelB

Well, there goes my theory of the Numbers being Awakened Zoans. This is still a pretty interesting twist by itself, though. Speaking of.... for those curious, we've actually seen those Ancient Giants Big Mom referred to back in the Punk Hazard arc:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

^And Law had even mentioned that the WG attempted to create weaponized giants for centuries. Hmm, now I kinda wonder if that "SSG" system Vegapunk made to replace the Shichibukai could be related those giants, somehow....?
Old 2020-09-03, 06:31   Link #3
Itsmepatrick

Sanji and Franky versus King and Queen
Luffy and maybe Jinbe versus Big mom (short confrontation)
The rest of strawhats versus the Three Numbers, Plus the rest of King and Queens forces
I wonder if Franky installed laser beam and other stuffs in his Franky Shogun .
Itsmepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-03, 06:46   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

These Numbers actually look a bit like Oars, but the other Numbers we saw didn't.

Looks like we'll get the final match ups next week.
Old 2020-09-03, 08:56   Link #5
grecefar

Can't wait to have that double page of the straw hats in color for wallpaper.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-03, 12:25   Link #6
P_Dezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Well, there goes my theory of the Numbers being Awakened

^And Law had even mentioned that the WG attempted to create weaponized giants for centuries. Hmm, now I kinda wonder if that "SSG" system Vegapunk made to replace the Shichibukai could be related those giants, somehow....?
could be he made robot replicas of all of them, a robot Doflamingo is a pretty scary thought lol
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 19:31   Link #7
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

it's weird that no one seems to care about big mom... the chapter makes it seems like king, queen, and the giants are the big threats...

they literally threw big mom off like she's some fodder... that didn't sit right with me
Old 2020-09-04, 21:57   Link #8
Itsmepatrick

It'll be great if Sanji will fight maybe a Tobi Roppo or some Headliners without using Raid Suit so that we'll have an idea of the full extent of his power post timeskip. And the Raidsuit will be used against an All star.
Itsmepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-05, 00:07   Link #9
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmepatrick View Post
It'll be great if Sanji will fight maybe a Tobi Roppo or some Headliners without using Raid Suit so that we'll have an idea of the full extent of his power post timeskip. And the Raidsuit will be used against an All star.
Was it explained why he took of his suit?
Doesn't seem to make much sense to take the time and change clothes during such a battle.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-07, 08:46   Link #10
Kaz_

Im glad Franky's taking a stand against BM. Desperate or not, the entire crew will eventually have to move on and face enemies like Lucci or Doflamingo at this stage. They cant just wait for Luffy to deal with every monster of ocean while dealing with small scale henchmen and side bosses.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-07, 09:39   Link #11
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

ah this chapter is so cool

Momo's reaction when Yamato said that she is Oden

Franky challenged Big Mom... "It's docking time" call
and Jinbei + Nico Robin trolled Big Mom

never expect the crew will manage to gather again before dispersing again toward their each respective battle
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-07, 13:30   Link #12
marvelB

Come to think of it, now that Sanji is unmasked in Big Mom's presence, I wonder if this means the time has finally come for us readers to expect some sort of payoff in regards to the cake our cook friend baked for the empress. Seeing as it was ultimately Pudding who got credit for the cake at Totland (though Perospero and several of his siblings suspected Capone of poisoning it), I really have to wonder how Linlin would react upon finding out that the groom she was so gung-ho about slaughtering at the wedding was chiefly responsible for the cake that reminded her so dearly of the semla (and unintentional cannibalism) from her childhood.....

And on the subject of the BM pirates, I find it slightly curious that we've yet to get any further update on the Peros/Marco situation. We still don't know for certain if the two of them actually formed an alliance, but as I said a while back, I don't necessarily find the idea of Peros betraying his dear old mama to be so far-fetched.....
Old 2020-09-08, 19:01   Link #13
Rainbowman

The assembly of all the Strawhat members was the main highlight for me.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-08, 23:56   Link #14
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
it's weird that no one seems to care about big mom... the chapter makes it seems like king, queen, and the giants are the big threats...

they literally threw big mom off like she's some fodder... that didn't sit right with me
I don’t think it’s any disrespect, there is just so much going on. I honestly think that the straw hats ability to get her into berserk mode is what will change the tides of battle in their favor.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote